Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Big fan of these games, not sure I'd call them life sim enough to go in this thread, doubly so for Path which is more focused on the RPG side to me. Both of these kind of feel like putting Persona in this thread.

Either way, big fan of both these games but do watch out for the Steam release of the first one. The publisher hosed over one of the artists so they ended up replacing some of the really good original art with junk that looks like it came from a mobile game. There should be a mod to replace the art if you do buy it on Steam but like, gently caress it, you can pirate that one morally.

Path is being made by the original studio without any such concerns so feel free to buy that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

Tale of Wuxia is a Chinese life sim / RPG.
It's set in fantastical ancient martial arts China. It's sort of like a RPG where instead of beating up monsters for XP, you mostly get better at stuff via life sim time allocation. The main part is alternating "Allocate time blocks to stuff like punch training/chores/visiting people/meditating under a peach tree/etc..." that build stats, then at set calendar days events will happen and it jumps off to plot/exploration with hex based fights. Like for example, at one point the elderly sect leader guy takes you and the other disciples into the nearby city to visit someone, then you get a (real-time limited, but fairly generous) day to wander around the city getting into fights/doing RPG quests/unlocking activities, then after that time expires there's some plot and mandatory fights, then it goes back to life sim for another few months.
The translation starts off ok then gets increasingly jank near the end. There was an LP of it at one point, but I don't think it got archived

I might be stroking out, but is Tale of Wuxia related to the game Legend of Wulin Heroes? That might be the LP you're thinking of - Nyaa has a playthrough in the archives.

If they are completely separate that's a staggering amount of asset and attribute reuse, haha.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Tale of Wuxia is a remake of Legend of Wulin Heroes. They're both done by the same director at Heluo Studios who's also doing Path.

It's not super huge but if you're getting those games, they can be racist/LGBTphobic. They're also kind of heavily male focused but I'm not sure if I'd call them sexist off the top of my head.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mysticblade posted:

Big fan of these games, not sure I'd call them life sim enough to go in this thread, doubly so for Path which is more focused on the RPG side to me. Both of these kind of feel like putting Persona in this thread.

Either way, big fan of both these games but do watch out for the Steam release of the first one. The publisher hosed over one of the artists so they ended up replacing some of the really good original art with junk that looks like it came from a mobile game. There should be a mod to replace the art if you do buy it on Steam but like, gently caress it, you can pirate that one morally.

Path is being made by the original studio without any such concerns so feel free to buy that one.

Tale absolutely is, half of the game is basically Princess Maker mechanics.

I've always been a fan of these games (to the point I've been working on a private one for over a decade at this point) but I had no idea this thread existed. Some games that I don't think have been mentioned yet:
  • 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat A combination of a board game and early antiquity life sim; sadly never received sequels but it's quite good for what it is if you are into the idea of life sims, it's about guiding a family through the ages.
  • The Guild: Gold Edition Part business-simulation and part-life sim, it's about building a business dynasty during a fantasy rendition of Renaissance. It does have sequels but I personally enjoyed the first game the most, plus the sequels lean more on the business side of things.
  • Academagia: The Making of Mages A very in-depth lifesim in a school of magic. Lots of options, text and things to do, but the gameplay is mechanically a bit tedious. Still it's fun for having an astonishing number of disciplines and skills (Agriculture, Law, Zoology, Rhetorics, Botany, Athletics, etc., etc.). Depending on your patience you might want to use a cheat mod from the official forums.
  • A Legionary's Life An amazing simulation game about being a roman legionary. Relatively constrained, but very historically faithful. If you ever wanted to live a life of a Roman legionary then this is a game for you.
  • Nature And Life - Drunk On Nectar A literal animal life simulator, fun if you want to know what it's like to be a grasshoper or a jumping spider or similar. More of a QTE-enhanced simulator than a game, the gameplay is vaguely similar to Quantic Dream games like Heavy Rain.
  • Cattails | Become a Cat! "... like Stardew Valley except cats" one of the store blurbs says, and that's what it is. Somewhat short but you can still get a good 10-20 hours of fun out of it.
Some borderline lifesim games:
  • The Age of Decadence A brilliant SRPG with lots of different paths and characters to embody within a single story. Quite heavy on the SRPG action, think fallout with more paths/characters/dialogue. The reason I would say it is a life sim is that there are so many different gameplay paths which take place in the same world, but the dialogue, quests and endings are different for each. It's also very simulation-like in how it handles skills and the relative insignificance of your character in the grand scheme of things.
  • Expeditions: Rome Another SRPG, this time based in ancient Rome. No choices in terms of characters, but it is open-world and has lots of different paths to take.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 27, 2022

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

Private Speech posted:

[*]The Guild: Gold Edition Part business-simulation and part-life sim, it's about building a business dynasty during a fantasy rendition of Renaissance. It does have sequels but I personally enjoyed the first game the most, plus the sequels lean more on the business side of things.
[/list]

this is probably my favorite economic / life sim game just because of the political / dynastic elements, it's the only game that matches Crusader Kings in that regard imo. I wish there was something similar / less buggy than this - is the 3rd one even worth trying?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

sithael posted:

this is probably my favorite economic / life sim game just because of the political / dynastic elements, it's the only game that matches Crusader Kings in that regard imo. I wish there was something similar / less buggy than this - is the 3rd one even worth trying?

No idea about the third one, but there is only one major bug in the game (all relationships get reset when the pope or emperor dies). This can be solved by hex-editing the historical Pope/Emperor list to start with a single guy named Pope/Emperor who lives from 1400 to 1900 (or whatever you think is reasonable end year) and then using the "with history" option. It balances out the bad aspects of being a thief or robber quite nicely.

e: I have the edited file somewhere, if you want I can try to find it today and post it here, but it's not difficult to do if you're familiar with computers and software and such (I say that but I have a bachelors/masters degree in it and have worked on low-level software for over a decade so my perspective might be a bit skewed, YMMV).

Incidentally the game is now available for like 2 dollars, which is an absolute steal for what you get.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 27, 2022

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Potionomics is a pretty solid $30 game, rounding out the last week now.

I started after they patched for difficulty; not sure how it was beforehand but its never been an issue; after the 3rd week started i basically exploded in cash and never needed money again; right now I'm on day 45 with over 400k gold, and could have easily pushed more if I wasn't deciding to be lazy, mostly because the UI while decently laid out has a number of issues that makes things pretty tedious;

1. Why can't I save recipes; having to screenshot or write down my balanced recipes is really not ideal and gets tedious re-entering them every time.
2. Not being able to upgrade the cauldron/shelves/etc. while they're in place; it makes it a pain since at least early I'm always trying to brew something. I didn't notice you had to remove them to upgrade until like halfway through (not that you ever need to do it, but it would have been nice)
3. There needs to be more sorting/filtering options for ingredients, there are so many of them and it desperately needs at least strict filtering and filtering/sorting by maginim level.
4. Be nice if there was a quickbuy option for mats, since slamming that stuff every day is a bit tiresome.
5. Should be able to at least check potion timers/etc. while you are traveling across town, since while I generally tried to time them to finish once I got back sometimes I didn't always remember how long and what potions I was brewing.

Otherwise the game is rather simplistic, but fun; the animations are really well done and the music fits well; the game has a lot of good overall style. Characters are quite fun considering it's not a character focused game. Due to the UI issues the game really starts dragging in the last few weeks since at that point you don't really unlock anything new.

Card balance is pretty terrible; probably around like 80% of the cards you get from friendship unlocks aren't worth using.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 27, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Mysticblade posted:

It's not super huge but if you're getting those games, they can be racist/LGBTphobic. They're also kind of heavily male focused but I'm not sure if I'd call them sexist off the top of my head.

Bit late but this is Chinese Fantasy in general, it's not specific to these games. Also in terms of sexism you have Yang/Yin, Fire/Frost, Violence/Calm, Light/Dark, Life/Death, etc.

e: That said I think it's more exoticism, fetishization and assumption of traditional gender roles than hate in terms of LGBT, also there is a lot of LGBT-focused Wuxia/Xianxia stories which are written specifically for LGBT audience. Racism absolutely is a thing though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 27, 2022

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

sithael posted:

I really like the sequel (after its expansions) The Guild II: Renaissance. It's one of the jankiest games alive but its incredibly fun and hilarious. It's also a really fun multiplayer game if you can get it to work.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Private Speech posted:

[*]Academagia: The Making of Mages A very in-depth lifesim in a school of magic. Lots of options, text and things to do, but the gameplay is mechanically a bit tedious. Still it's fun for having an astonishing number of disciplines and skills (Agriculture, Law, Zoology, Rhetorics, Botany, Athletics, etc., etc.). Depending on your patience you might want to use a cheat mod from the official forums.
[*]The Age of Decadence A brilliant SRPG with lots of different paths and characters to embody within a single story. Quite heavy on the SRPG action, think fallout with more paths/characters/dialogue. The reason I would say it is a life sim is that there are so many different gameplay paths which take place in the same world, but the dialogue, quests and endings are different for each. It's also very simulation-like in how it handles skills and the relative insignificance of your character in the grand scheme of things.
[/list]

There's a solid LP of Academagia by Bobbin Threadbare and The Age of Decadence by rudecyrus on the LP archive, if anyone's interested in looking at gameplay content.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Zeniel posted:

I really like the sequel (after its expansions) The Guild II: Renaissance. It's one of the jankiest games alive but its incredibly fun and hilarious. It's also a really fun multiplayer game if you can get it to work.

I absolutely loved The Guild but the change with having to move a character in The Guild II kinda killed it for me.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

lunar detritus posted:

I absolutely loved The Guild but the change with having to move a character in The Guild II kinda killed it for me.

Guild 2 was my personal favorite because you COULD move your character haha. Different strokes for different folks. I would love a polished spiritual successor to this franchise.. or just a non buggy one.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

dervival posted:

There's a solid LP of Academagia by Bobbin Threadbare and The Age of Decadence by rudecyrus on the LP archive, if anyone's interested in looking at gameplay content.

I remembered that the Academagia LP existed but couldn't be bothered to find it for a reread - thank you!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Are any of you interested in setting up a Don't Starve Together server? We could ignore all the dumb Twitch drops.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is anybody here in the Paralives Patreon?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So Harvestella is coming out tomorrow! Any early word on how it is? Who’s played the demo and what do you think?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
gonna toss a Dave the Diver mention in here, it's got a great gameplay loop, (fish and explore by day, manage and run a sushi joint by night) and a pretty good chunk of content despite being early access. definitely worth keeping an eye on.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

YES bread posted:

gonna toss a Dave the Diver mention in here, it's got a great gameplay loop, (fish and explore by day, manage and run a sushi joint by night) and a pretty good chunk of content despite being early access. definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Ooh that looks really nice, thanks for the tip.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone see any streams/reviews of Harvestella up yet?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Got 8/8/8/7 on Famitsu, apparently.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A Sometimes Food posted:

Still another hour before it unlocks on steam.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Let us know how it is. Early reviews say that there's no romance element, so I'm a little leery to start with.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a very story/ARPG oriented game so that doesn't surprise me. Like moreso than Rune Factory.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Let us know how it is. Early reviews say that there's no romance element, so I'm a little leery to start with.

There's a cheevo for "exchanging vows with a partner" with a wedding ring image so I'm not sure about that.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 4, 2022

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

so far harvestella isn't quite what I hoped it would be which is kind of a bummer. it looks really good, even on switch, but it's painfully linear. combat doesn't have a lot of nuance to it despite the jobs system, and the farming is clunky and slow. also the days are absurdly short. I like the story and the characters so far but not enough to keep slogging through it.

all in all I'd probably recommend waiting for it to go on sale before trying it out. :shrug:

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

so far harvestella isn't quite what I hoped it would be which is kind of a bummer. it looks really good, even on switch, but it's painfully linear. combat doesn't have a lot of nuance to it despite the jobs system, and the farming is clunky and slow. also the days are absurdly short. I like the story and the characters so far but not enough to keep slogging through it.

all in all I'd probably recommend waiting for it to go on sale before trying it out. :shrug:

What do you mean by linear? Starting with chapter 3 (where the demo ends in chapter 2) it opens up 3 different seasonal towns/dungeons that can be tackled in any order. I felt the days were pretty short in the demo too, but they increased the day length in the full release, feels pretty good now imo.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

National Parks posted:

What do you mean by linear? Starting with chapter 3 (where the demo ends in chapter 2) it opens up 3 different seasonal towns/dungeons that can be tackled in any order. I felt the days were pretty short in the demo too, but they increased the day length in the full release, feels pretty good now imo.

I never played the demo, meant to but release day came before I got around to it so I impulse bought it as an early birthday present :nyoron:

if it eventually opens up and feels less on the rails, so to speak, then I feel very silly for putting it down right before starting chapter 3! thanks friend, I'll give it another go.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016
I won't say it's for everyone, but im really enjoying the loop of Harvestella.

I think this game is going to end up divisive because it's ultimately a jrpg, with good farming elements, rather than primarily a farming/life game with a jrpg story.

My impressions so far since there isn't much information out there or reviews:

Combat:
-The combat is interesting, but kind of clunky. There are a bunch of different classes, you assign 3 to switch to during combat. For example you can be a Mage and shoot lighting, and then switch to fighter as enemies close in. Level up with xp, etc.

-You get three party slots, you can fill these with characters from the story, and you get party wide bonuses for using ones you've increased relationships with.

-there is a dodge, but regular enemies still seem to hit me. It seems like the dodge is mostly be for the boss battles that have big telegraphed attacks. I feel like the dodge sucking might be intentional though, to give you a reason to eat and gather cooked food for healing(some people will probably hate this. I enjoy having a purpose to cooking, it makes the dungeons feel more like expeditions)

-Dungeons require multiple trips to progress through. Since you do have a clock, you are limited by time in how far you progress. You do open up shortcuts using materials as you progress, so you can get deeper faster on future runs. There are also teleport points you can unlock to travel instantaneously. Think of it like progressing through the mine in stardew valley.

Story:
-Great character art, lots of different portraits to express character emotions.

-The dialogue is well written, with your character getting to respond by picking between textboxes.

-I'm engaged with the plot, but it's filled with people dropping names for things or referencing mysteries casually. There are robot people in the game, and there are like 3 conversations that kinda mention them off hand, and when your character asks about them people just kinda go "eh" and move on. Pretty standard Jrpg stuff I guess.

-there are a lot of nameless npcs In the game, which I guess makes the towns feel bigger, but don't expect to make relationships with the all townfolk like in stardew valley. Lots of sidequests though, and there are special side quests that improve your relationships with story characters and party members. Supposedly you can choose a "life partner" at the end of the game but I'm not sure anyone has beat the game yet to know what that means.

-Awful voice acting. Mercifully most of the dialogue is unvoiced, but when you are wandering around in dungeons your party members will warn you about powerful monsters with really poorly sound balanced voice clips. You eventually unlock a fairy that helps on the farm and she says "bye bye" whenever you leave the farm, it sucks.

Farming:

-there seems to be 36 different croptypes spread out over 4 seasons. The starter crops grow within 1 or 2 days, but I've found others that take 5 or more days.

-The economy feels really tight. Seeds are expensive, and crops don't sell for a ton more. I haven't tested if cooked food gives you more money. I'm sure people will figure out good cash crops but expect to supplement your crops with selling stuff from the dungeons to survive, especially because you need to use your crops to prepare food since enemies hit your hp pretty hard.

-you can build animal barns for milk and eggs, and collect pets, but I havent seen all of what this entails. Seems the pets might be mounts for traveling faster on the world map.

-There are farm expansions to increace farming area, and there are several locations on the farm to unlock.

-There is a big encyclopedia to fill out, with categories for enemies, seeds, produce, materials, cooking recipes, with great art for every item. I was hoping there would be descriptions and lore for the enemies, but it seems to just show weaknesses and stuff.

Graphics: incredible art direction, but there is some blurred models on switch. I don't mind it personally, I think the art shines through, but this will absolutely bother some people. Less apparent when docked, and supposedly less of an issue on the steam version.

Character customization: This is strictly Name, Pronouns (male, female, or non-binary), male or female body type, skin color, hair color and eye color. There is nothing else, except that your outfit changes based on what combat class you are using in the dungeons. (It will default to the basic model in cutscenes and the farm no matter what class you select) Also note that the male model has long hair and a very similar outfit to the female character which has bothered a bunch of usual suspects so beware I guess.

TLDR: The game reminds me a lot of a super advanced nintendo ds era Jrpg. I don't mean that to describe its limitations, but rather the overall feel and aesthetic. For me that's a huge plus, for others it might not be.

National Parks fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 6, 2022

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
I've also been enjoying Harvestella.
To build upon the excellent post above, once you hit chapter 3 you do have more ways to make money and you start to get a feel for the full scope of the game.
Side quests have good monetary payouts and usually some seeds or other rewards to supplement your income once you start turning a lot of your crops into food. Each town also has a venue trying to establish a menu and you can submit each requested cooked foods to them for a one time four figure payout. Haven't tried selling food through the shipment box, so not sure how much its worth normally.

The fairy is annoying, but the fairy orders list is where you get most of your farm progression. Unlock resource processors, level up your farming abilities, level up the farm itself for higher quality crops, etc. There are a total of four fairies you pick up over chapter 3, each associated with a season/town/element; their individual order lists focus on those towns, seasonal crops, and related processed resources.

Part of it is that the game is just a slow burn. I'm only partially into chapter 3, but even it feels like it's somewhat an introductory (if far more open) part of the game. Chapters 1 and 2 deliver a gently caress-ton of exposition and get you acquainted with the core gameplay loop, but even chapter 3 is continually throwing new mechanics and story elements at the player.

This is pure speculation on my part, since no one seems to have gotten very far in yet, but it kind of feels like the game is going to become more farm-focused over time? Honestly, it kind of feels like the game expects your farm to be at a subsistence level at least through Spring, and probably a good chunk of Summer as the game focuses on introducing you to all the characters and unlocking all the game mechanics over the course of chapter 3.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 6, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Disney Dreamlight Valley has been scratching that Animal Crossing itch but even better, because the closer camera angle means your house feels proportional and it's fun to walk through and see everything you've put together and the stuff you've bought from Scrooge.

Plus I really dig the fishing. Really relaxing! Haven't delved into the farming too much but its standard so far, which I don't mind at all.

E: Oh yeah a negative, most of the friendship rewards are girl character oriented, so if you play a guy character you don't get the character based clothing, but it is early access.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 7, 2022

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

harvestella is definitely gonna turn a lot of people off but im really enjoying it so far, PC port runs perfectly fine on my desktop and steam deck but there's no graphical settings which sucks.

im also a lot more engaged with the story than i expected to be, its definitely got a different tone to it than it looks on the surface.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

ShadowMar posted:

harvestella is definitely gonna turn a lot of people off but im really enjoying it so far, PC port runs perfectly fine on my desktop and steam deck but there's no graphical settings which sucks.

im also a lot more engaged with the story than i expected to be, its definitely got a different tone to it than it looks on the surface.

I'm one of those players, it a really bad game that fails at being a jrpg harder than it fails at imitating StarDew.

Every thing from the art down to the UI is garbage and absolutely shocks me at the price they want us to pay for it.

I got my 1:58 hrs in and smashed refund button so hard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Disney Dreamlight Valley has been scratching that Animal Crosisng itch but even better, because the closer camera angle means you're house feels proportional and it's fun to walk through and see everything you've put together and the stuff you've bought form Scrooge.

Plus I really dig the fishing. Really relaxing! Haven't delved into the farming too much but its standard so far, which I don't mind at all.

E: Oh yeah a negative, most of the friendship rewards are girl character oriented, so if you play a guy character you don't get the character based clothing, but it is early access.

Also you can be peacefully going about your business and hear Donald Duck going insane with rage in the distance, which is good value

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Slayerjerman posted:

I'm one of those players, it a really bad game that fails at being a jrpg harder than it fails at imitating StarDew.

Every thing from the art down to the UI is garbage and absolutely shocks me at the price they want us to pay for it.

I got my 1:58 hrs in and smashed refund button so hard.

I and others have said that there are going to be things people hate about the game but wasn't expecting "the art is garbage" to be one of them. To each their own I guess. I think it's nice.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Oh wait it's a squeenix game? Based on how people were talking about it I assumed it was some kind of RPGMaker farming game.

It actually looks interesting but that price is steep with how the reviews are going.

e: A similar game that combines Chinese cultivation with farming is Immortal Life, for anyone who likes wuxia/xianxia.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 7, 2022

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I've played a bit of Immortal Life and I know someone else played a bit of it, maybe in the Stardew thread?

It's a bit rough right now, the whole cultivation aspect of it hasn't really kicked in yet. They did make some pretty major fixes to the combat that make it a lot less janky at the expense of making it kind of trivial so far. I haven't seen any boss fights so that might change.

The actual farming is a bit weird since you've got a chance to get different crops when harvesting. ie. You plant soy beans and you can harvest both soy beans and like, magic soy beans. You can't really do much with them yet but they sell for more which is good because the economy in this game is rough as hell and your best way of dealing with it is just to go fishing instead. I don't know if the game will feel better once we get more progress or if the early game's always going to be a bit slow.

I might just be spoiled by RF3/4 where you can pretty much speedrun the early game though.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
hmm, I've had my eye on Immortal Life for a while but I guess I'll hold off until it's gotten more updates. honestly kind of full up on EA games as at is.

speaking of, I wanted to throw in another rec for Potion Craft which got mentioned earlier in the thread. probably the coolest crafting mechanics I've encountered in a game and a cute woodcut art style, though the shop portion is very light (simple haggling minigame, plus customers will wait forever and there are no penalties for putting them off). iirc there's a free and probably outdated demo on GOG.

last I heard the devs were hoping to hit1.0 by the end of fall, but they're russian, so uh who knows :shobon:. still, I'd encourage any potion enjoyers to give it a look!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
my opinion on Harvestella is that its fun but the combat kind of sucks. I wish there was a dedicated block button/dash that works. That said, I enjoyed the demo enough to drop $60 on it?

The writing is good so far, which is what really sold me on it. Aria is neat, I love when the love interest character™ doesnt change depending on player gender and therefore lets you be gay

also:

:allears:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mysticblade posted:

I've played a bit of Immortal Life and I know someone else played a bit of it, maybe in the Stardew thread?

It's a bit rough right now, the whole cultivation aspect of it hasn't really kicked in yet. They did make some pretty major fixes to the combat that make it a lot less janky at the expense of making it kind of trivial so far. I haven't seen any boss fights so that might change.

The actual farming is a bit weird since you've got a chance to get different crops when harvesting. ie. You plant soy beans and you can harvest both soy beans and like, magic soy beans. You can't really do much with them yet but they sell for more which is good because the economy in this game is rough as hell and your best way of dealing with it is just to go fishing instead. I don't know if the game will feel better once we get more progress or if the early game's always going to be a bit slow.

I might just be spoiled by RF3/4 where you can pretty much speedrun the early game though.

Immortal Life has a lot of planned content not added yet, it's true. Money is very tight early game because a lot of the crops have very slim profit margins.

In terms of "cultivation stuff" there are several spells currently implemented. For example the optimal watering method is casting a watering spell from your gourd that creates a rain cloud that you can move around. The basic watering gourd lasts long enough to water a 2x10 area and the upgrade waters a 2x14 area. You can make other arbitrary shapes, but I've found it easiest to stick to a simple rectangle.

Combat also has access to a couple different spells, I mostly ignore them except for the enemies that only take damage from spells since I use most of my magic on watering.

Still talking about "cultivation stuff," there's two ways to gain cultivation experience to advance your cultivation rank and tier. Every time you kill a monster you get a little bit of cultivation experience (this is where most of your cultivation experience comes from). As you progress the rebuilding storyline you get the option to rebuild the training hall. Once that's completed, you can hire cultivators to teach you cultivation lessons to raise your stats and also give you some cultivation experience. I think the NPC cultivators get cultivation xp from this as well.

For plants, I tend to think of the other crops you get as just another quality rank. When you harvest you can get normal, green, blue, or orange quality crops. For some reason, the orange quality crops have a different name. There's a trader that comes once a season that gives you quests for orange quality crops (the ones with different names) and it's very much worth doing her quests (and also buying the special seeds she sells - they're the most profitable in the game). There are also a bunch of other quests that require blue and orange quality crops.

I don't post about it often because it's very EA of the please-give-us-money-so-we-can-afford-to-make-the-game variety, but there's a fair bit to do already. Over a year's worth of content for even a try hard like me who made his own Crop spreadsheet and gift guide. And they've added stuff since then.

I do think it still has serious issues:
Not all items have a use. Some gift items aren't liked by anyone.
I liked the original fighting system better where you could walk up and hit things instead of the current "flying sword" that's basically an infinite range gun that shoots through walls. Even so, I can see why they changed it because the original wasn't better than tolerable.
There's no controller support (I can kinda get it working through steam's controller support, but all the time fighting/mining is keyboard and mouse; and you spend a lot of time mining).
I can see what they wanted to do with cooking, but what was originally a mildly innovative minigame I now loathe. It was fun at first but now I just want to be able to push a button to make the stuff for the quests and move on.
They game designer is apparently not great at math - for example, cooking is basically always a net loss. You'd gain more stamina by sleeping for that same amount of time and spend less money just buying food and growing something more profitable. Yes, even when cooking with ingredients you grew yourself.
Most people have exactly one line of dialogue that they repeat every single day outside of a handful of quests. If that NPC even has quests yet. For months the only thing one of the NPCs would say is "please don't talk to me."

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I remember there being a quick synth button for cooking? I guess it might be a bit annoying to have to cook everything though.