Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HopperUK posted:

oh goddamn that's my first name, I hate it when it's on TV. It happens rarely enough that it's wildly distracting. I wonder if people with more commonly used names just get used to it or if it's annoying.

I’m hearing double. Four Siobhan’s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oldpainless posted:

I’m hearing double. Four Siobhan’s!

more like old craicless

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, episode "The Autopsy".
Every episode before this has been kinda campy, so it's easier not to nitpick. I think this is still the best episode, but one thing really IIMM'd me: the alien goes on about how long they have secretly been hiding among humans, without anyone knowing...but that's surpising considering how bad it is at its job...
- it causes a massive serial killer hunt by killing 6 people in the same area;
- it leaves a partially eaten victim on top of a tree where it is immediately found;
- all of its recovered victims show such unique wounds/conditions that the coroner immediately points them out as weird;
- it takes over a new "shell", then starts calling itself with a different name for no apparent reason, then he picks up a victim its shell knew in a crowded place, raising suspicion;
- at the same time, it keeps living in its current shell's home, causing his ship to be immediately seized by the police when they follow up on said suspicions;
- not to mention the ship - which has to immediately be destroyed if noticed - is not even hidden, althouhg I guess this could play into the hubrys element of the plot.

What I'm saying is that, if this is a typical specimen of this alien race, Fox Mulder would be on top of their game in about 4h.

It does say it was a larva when it crawls into Eddie, though it seems to have some sort of... weird racial memory thing going on too. So it could just be young, dumb, and full of itself. Regardless yeah that alien dumb as poo poo. Puts on an excellent monologue though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Hate to tell ya, but hooking is about the only thing those dudes have in common.

I'm having a Berenstein Bears moment here

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Del Toro Cabinet, ep "Dreams in the Witch House" - why even use the name if the story has nothing to do with it? As in this is a less faithful adaptation of the source material than Super Mario Bros: the Movie.

E: the 1993 one.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Nov 6, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's a script they had lying around and GdT asked for a Lovecraft adaptation so they crammed in:
1) new England
2) a witch
3) dreams
4) an attic room with witchery
5) Jenkins
... and called it a day.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's a script they had lying around and GdT asked for a Lovecraft adaptation so they crammed in:
1) new England
2) a witch
3) dreams
4) an attic room with witchery
5) Jenkins
... and called it a day.
It's so weird though... everything Lovecraft wrote is public domain I think? So if they wanted to do "generic ghost story" they could have picked something a bit more fitting from the full catalog. I guess they chose this one because of the name recognition? But by now it should be evident that "pick beloved property, improve it until it becomes irrecognizable" is almost never a good idea.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Were there at least any Italians in the episode? Any swarthy folk? That's the last square I need for Lovecraft bingo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not quite everything Lovecraft is in public domain since he also did some team ups with authors who lived longer.

Watching the new season of Titans and I'm kind of annoyed by how the team is completely inconsistent in costumes. Nightwing, Starfire and Beast Boy all wear costumes but Raven, Superboy (I know he wears a specific outfit but it is just a t-shirt and jeans) and Tim don't. Also dumb how everyone is so casual with secret identities even though it has caused problems for the characters like how Hawk and Dove had their house blown up in season 2 and Scarecrow taking over Bruce's mansion in season 3.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, episode "The Autopsy".
Every episode before this has been kinda campy, so it's easier not to nitpick. I think this is still the best episode, but one thing really IIMM'd me: the alien goes on about how long they have secretly been hiding among humans, without anyone knowing...but that's surpising considering how bad it is at its job...
- it causes a massive serial killer hunt by killing 6 people in the same area;
- it leaves a partially eaten victim on top of a tree where it is immediately found;
- all of its recovered victims show such unique wounds/conditions that the coroner immediately points them out as weird;
- it takes over a new "shell", then starts calling itself with a different name for no apparent reason, then he picks up a victim its shell knew in a crowded place, raising suspicion;
- at the same time, it keeps living in its current shell's home, causing his ship to be immediately seized by the police when they follow up on said suspicions;
- not to mention the ship - which has to immediately be destroyed if noticed - is not even hidden, althouhg I guess this could play into the hubrys element of the plot.

What I'm saying is that, if this is a typical specimen of this alien race, Fox Mulder would be on top of their game in about 4h.

The whole point of the episode is that the alien is dumb. The doctor even mocks him about and says that "while you had this dumb monologue about how great you are I figured out a way to kill your dumb rear end".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That Italian Guy posted:

It's so weird though... everything Lovecraft wrote is public domain I think? So if they wanted to do "generic ghost story" they could have picked something a bit more fitting from the full catalog. I guess they chose this one because of the name recognition? But by now it should be evident that "pick beloved property, improve it until it becomes irrecognizable" is almost never a good idea.

I assume the script that was lying around already had ol' Grinty moving into a new apartment and probably having dreams, it was probably the story with the closest things they could shoehorn in to their existing script.

A reminder, this was from the director of Twilight.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Were there at least any Italians in the episode? Any swarthy folk? That's the last square I need for Lovecraft bingo.
Ron's pal is played by the same actor who played Arondir in Rings of Power, so you know what Lovvey's thoughts would be on that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's three black characters plus two indigenous characters.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Alhazred posted:

Unimaginable cosmic horrors...

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Not quite everything Lovecraft is in public domain since he also did some team ups with authors who lived longer.

Watching the new season of Titans and I'm kind of annoyed by how the team is completely inconsistent in costumes. Nightwing, Starfire and Beast Boy all wear costumes but Raven, Superboy (I know he wears a specific outfit but it is just a t-shirt and jeans) and Tim don't. Also dumb how everyone is so casual with secret identities even though it has caused problems for the characters like how Hawk and Dove had their house blown up in season 2 and Scarecrow taking over Bruce's mansion in season 3.

There's a super hero named Tim?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Also known as the Toolman.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

oh goddamn that's my first name, I hate it when it's on TV. It happens rarely enough that it's wildly distracting. I wonder if people with more commonly used names just get used to it or if it's annoying.

I haven't gone by my full first name since, I dunno, my first day of grade school and boy howdy there was this stretch from around November 2016 to Present Day where I'm super glad of that decision.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I haven't gone by my full first name since, I dunno, my first day of grade school and boy howdy there was this stretch from around November 2016 to Present Day where I'm super glad of that decision.
Sorry to hear that, Donaldjtrump.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Should have said Tim Drake but didn't want to just say Robin because the two other Robins have worn costumes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

credburn posted:

You might be thinking of Creepshow 2, where a lady is tormented by a black guy she hit-and-runs on a rainy night.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

HopperUK posted:

One of my earliest childhood memories is of watching The Great Mouse Detective in school one day and, since I shared my first name with the little mouse girl, literally every time any character said it all of my classmates would turn around to just sort of, look at me expectantly?? Which was terrible because by age 8 my favorite thing to be in public was "Not Perceived On Any Level"

I really don't know what they were hoping for. Maybe they all thought I'd rip my head off like it was a Scooby Doo-style mask and there'd be a Disney character underneath

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh, mine was worse, my real name is Fidget :v:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Oh....the squamanity...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually don't think the dreams in the witch house has any italians, he is instead very dismissive of the superstitious poles who think he is weird for locking himself in the creepy witch room with the weird carvings everywhere for hours at a time and also he digs up a witch and the witch murders a guy but obviously he died of fright because he is so superstitious and polish.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Nov 6, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly kinda pissed they didn't do that sorry about the immortal wizard who cursed that dude's bloodline to all die at 30? or something like that.

Big spoilers
He WAS a wizard, but the only magic spell he knew was Alakablam cause he snuck in and shot em.

I think. It's been literal decades since I read that story.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I actually don't think the dreams in the witch house has any italians, he is instead very dismissive of the superstitious poles who think he is weird for locking himself in the creepy witch room with the weird carvings everywhere for hours at a time and also he digs up a witch and the witch murders a guy but obviously he died of fright because he is so superstitious and polish.
Does Brown Jenkins count as swarthy I wonder.

Edit: btw I've just realized what this version of Jenkins reminded me of and it's Jago from Aladdin :v:

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Nov 6, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been some alien invasion movie where the humans who meet the aliens first are "gently caress it, take our planet, our leaders are poo poo!"

I kinda want a Species remake. The first one. Show me Sil getting Tindr.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It bugs me when a character reads message when the text is plainly visible onscreen.

Brought on by an episode of Columbo I just watched that didn't do that, trusted the viewer to actually read the note, and was so refreshing.

(It was the one with Leonard Nimoy as a surgeon.)

(Somehow offscreen narration--say from the author of the note--feels different, so I don't count that.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Len posted:

I don't care or even notice

But there were also three people with my first name in my graduating class

I was one of three matthews when i graduated high school. I was one of seven matthews when i graduated college

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

That Italian Guy posted:

See also the Phillip K Dick anthology series Electric Dreams where each episode was an adaptation of one of his short stories, and by adaptation I mean anything from "we needlessly and senselessly changed the ending to make it worse" to "we kept the title".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

credburn posted:

Maybe you were thinking of the Hitchhiker ghost from one of the Creepshow shorts

E: dammit, beaten

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Dreams in the Witchhouse even considered top 15 Lovecraft?

I've read through his collected works a few times and I barely remember that one

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Legend of the Stone of Gelel:

The worst Sand sibling, Kankuro, is in this movie, but the best Sand sibling, Temari, is not in this movie.

Main antagonist loses because he can't stop being evil for five minutes.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Breetai posted:

See also the Phillip K Dick anthology series Electric Dreams where each episode was an adaptation of one of his short stories, and by adaptation I mean anything from "we needlessly and senselessly changed the ending to make it worse" to "we kept the title".

What is it with sci-fi adaptations that make them do this? Especially with PKD, the ending is the justification for the entire story so much of the time. Do they think that fans will be disappointed if they know the ending already?

I think one of the worst offenders of this is Minority Report. The whole point from the story is that the pre-cognition system works, and in order to prevent it from being shut down, our hero chooses to fulfill the prophecy and commit the murder but that is all stripped away for *insert generic conspiracy here*.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Why did they bother doing a season(so far) recap after episode one of The Sandman? It feels like they don't think I was actually watching.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's good for someone like me who only watched the recaps.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

nesamdoom posted:

Why did they bother doing a season(so far) recap after episode one of The Sandman? It feels like they don't think I was actually watching.

Sometimes they do this to pad out the episode. I don't watch a lot of anime but I remember being utterly fed up with the Demon Slayer anime doing this.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

nesamdoom posted:

I appreciated that in Sandman, as so much happened in episode one that it felt like four episodes long.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mamkute posted:

Naruto Legend of the Stone of Gelel:

The worst Sand sibling, Kankuro, is in this movie, but the best Sand sibling, Temari, is not in this movie.

Main antagonist loses because he can't stop being evil for five minutes.

Why are you wasting time on anything Naruto that doesn't include Rock Lee or Might Guy?

There's really no accounting for taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also I loved Kankuro, his puppets owned. I also liked that guy who turned himself into a puppet. It's always weird with someone like that though when they end up in a hospital and all their usual uniform is taken away .Without his hoodie/one-piece and makeup while he was recovering from the poison he was almost unrecognisable.