Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

mutantIke posted:

American Vandal is one of the best mockumentaries ever made and I cry myself to sleep at night knowing there will never be a third season.

There is a similarly inflected show by the same creators called Players on Paramount streaming. Another mokumentary following some less than fully self aware professional League of Legends gamers.

Personally thought it was even better than both seasons of American Vandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Project Hail Mary feels like it would be all voiceovers and flashbacks, unless it had a clever screenwriter.

What did The Martian do? Read aloud journal entries?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Damon did a lot of log entries and such, but it kinda worked there, helped that he was good at it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sorry if this came up earlier but that's actual al Yankovic singing the parts in his movie right? I believe Radcliff could be that good, but it sounds real close.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Weird is great. Has big UHF energy and I laughed a lot. Radcliffe was hilarious, lmao. A+++ movie experience, would recommend.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

This sounds extremely up my street

Also acceptable is Dancing with the Birds on Netflix, muted so you can listen to Martin Denny's album Exotica.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tezer posted:

My understanding is that the only place you can watch it is the roku app and it is free as long as you can access the app somehow. There were five or six ad breaks indicated on the status/progress bar (whatever that thing is called). I quit watching at the first ad break - I'm in a bad politics state and it was a solid two minutes of racist attack ads, couldn't handle it.

I'll try again when it gets released somewhere I can access it without ads.

You can watch it from Therokuchannel.com, even if uou don't have access to the app. Just point your tvs browser there.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Sandman is the most immersive show ever as I can’t make it more than 20 minutes without falling asleep. Some cool visuals though.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the best part of weird al is it is both a joke and a sincerely great tribute to him. unironically a good biopic.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tainen posted:

Sandman is the most immersive show ever as I can’t make it more than 20 minutes without falling asleep. Some cool visuals though.

It's one of those things where if you don't know or like the source material it's not gonna do anything for you but if you do it is wonderful.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tainen posted:

All the stuff with Sandman himself was really great. But I hated almost everything in the real world. And I realized part of the problem is that they have all these English actors playing Americans, but with terrible American accents, and they filmed in England, for scenes that were supposed to take place in Florida.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry if this came up earlier but that's actual al Yankovic singing the parts in his movie right? I believe Radcliff could be that good, but it sounds real close.

It is the actual Weird Al singing. Radcliffe did actually learn how to play accordion though.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Nihonniboku posted:

All the stuff with Sandman himself was really great. But I hated almost everything in the real world. And I realized part of the problem is that they have all these English actors playing Americans, but with terrible American accents, and they filmed in England, for scenes that were supposed to take place in Florida.

It feels like when English actors get dialog classes, they all learn the same slightly strange broad sound from the same vocal coach. Radio dramas are full of it.

Conversely has a strange slightly artificial sense of Englishness too. It's full of country manors and lords and pubs and 'ere I'm just a cockney right. It felt like Dr Who in places.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nonathlon posted:

Conversely has a strange slightly artificial sense of Englishness too. It's full of country manors and lords and pubs and 'ere I'm just a cockney right. It felt like Dr Who in places.

Yeah, it's a bit twee and kitsch; it's the kind of UK you sell to foreigners.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

smackfu posted:

Project Hail Mary feels like it would be all voiceovers and flashbacks, unless it had a clever screenwriter.

What did The Martian do? Read aloud journal entries?

I had no idea they were doing a movie of this. Kinda excited as I loved the books ideas but hated the smarmy sarcastic nerd dialogue which was also present in The Martian novel but also toned down in the movie.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

The Martian at least had nasa and the other astronauts doing some of the science and heavy lifting.
PHM has the main character knowing and being capable of everything, which was a bit ridiculous. And IIRC he was just a high school science teacher or something at the start of the book?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

It's one of those things where if you don't know or like the source material it's not gonna do anything for you but if you do it is wonderful.

I never read Sandman and I really liked it except for a couple episodes towards the end. It was really imaginative and at times beautiful fantasy.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked PHM as much as The Martian but yes the main character is a bit much. If you told me Ryan Reynolds was going to play him I would not have been surprised. Thankfully it’s the other Ryan.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, PHM has the same screenwriter as The Martian, Lord and Miller as director, and Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone set to star.

That’s a pretty good lineup.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

smackfu posted:

Huh, PHM has the same screenwriter as The Martian, Lord and Miller as director, and Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone set to star.

That’s a pretty good lineup.

I like all of those people. Especially L&M so that does get me excited a bit. Still don't know how they handle the main character (and Rocky).

Everything was just so stupidly reductive. It just felt like an airport novel but with science.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You can watch it from Therokuchannel.com, even if uou don't have access to the app. Just point your tvs browser there.

Thanks!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Three Body Problem trilogy (technically "Remembrance of Earth's Past") is loving fantastic if you like futurist insane sci fi, and a must read if you like far reaching nutty technology, but yes you have to get through the context establishing portions. I personally appreciated the notably different perspective from every other sci fi thing I read.

I can only assume Netflix will disappoint me, but who knows. Foundation was a series of somewhat similarly far reaching concepts that I felt couldn't be made into a good series, and so far I seem to be right about that one. TBP possibly could, but it's almost as hard.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Glottis posted:

The Three Body Problem trilogy (technically "Remembrance of Earth's Past") is loving fantastic if you like futurist insane sci fi, and a must read if you like far reaching nutty technology, but yes you have to get through the context establishing portions. I personally appreciated the notably different perspective from every other sci fi thing I read.

I can only assume Netflix will disappoint me, but who knows. Foundation was a series of somewhat similarly far reaching concepts that I felt couldn't be made into a good series, and so far I seem to be right about that one. TBP possibly could, but it's almost as hard.

Apparently it's from Benioff and Weiss which... now has me less than enthused. But the concepts in there are just so freakin' awesome that I want to see them on the screen.

In other news, I thought Andor was a single limited season, but apparently it is going to be two (and then done). Didn't realize!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Andor was awesome and by far the best star wars ip since the Disney acquisition

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

It's amazing. So freakin' good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Papercut posted:

It's tied with the other Tony Gilroy project for them IMO. But either way it's awesome and it's the best thing that has ever been on D+ by a wide margin.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

I found myself down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and read the synopsis for that series and it sounded amazing. I wish I didn't spoil it for myself. I can see how some parts of it would drag, but I loved the horrifying answer to the Fermi Paradox.

Also someone sell me on Andor, because I haven't heard anything specifically good about it except that the dialog is amazing.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It turns out the latest Kiyoshi Kurosawa movie is episode 5 of Modern Love Tokyo. It's great, very much of a piece with his later movies like To the Ends of the Earth and especially Journey to the Shore.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shageletic posted:

I never read Sandman and I really liked it except for a couple episodes towards the end. It was really imaginative and at times beautiful fantasy.

I'm glad you liked it, I think it's the best graphic novel that's ever been printed honestly.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
So season 2 of The Vow is just a NXIUM recruiting video.

Weird change from the first season

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Deadite posted:

So season 2 of The Vow is just a NXIUM recruiting video.

Weird change from the first season

You're right. There have been moments where I've found myself thinking, hey, this actually sounds pretty great and I could benefit from some of these classes. It almost seems a little apologetic for season 1, like they were too hard on the cult.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Glottis posted:

Glad to hear someone else feels like I do. I actually LOVED the opening (and thus one of the main themes of the novel) being established during the Cultural Revolution. I think one of the best things about the novel is that it takes Western stereotypes and turns them on their heads while immersing the reader in Chinese history and culture. Ken Liu's translation really nailed it out of the park. I feel like I picked up almost everything without resorting to Wikipedia. I think whoever was complaining about the computer game / simulation either missed or didn't appreciate the blending of Chinese and Western historical figures that made all of it very interesting.

I would have much more faith in the project if Amazon handled it. The Expanse worked very well because they kept the authors as the show-runners. I can only hope that Cixin Liu and Ken Liu have the final say on what the script looks like, but considering Netflix's record of buying the rights to media and butchering it, I'm skeptical.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

LifeLynx posted:

I found myself down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and read the synopsis for that series and it sounded amazing. I wish I didn't spoil it for myself. I can see how some parts of it would drag, but I loved the horrifying answer to the Fermi Paradox.

Bro, why would you do it? Why?

That was the dumbest thing you've done in a long time, I promise.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I guess I should get back to the three body problem. I really liked the start of it but got turned off by the VR game chapter about a third of the way in that went on for way too long.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I managed to push myself thru the first book and got stranded on the second. Might retry.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Also someone sell me on Andor, because I haven't heard anything specifically good about it except that the dialog is amazing.

Andor is an excellent, multi-level look at how the Empire functions (barely) and how a Rebellion begins to form. It's doing a great job of showing the fascism, callousness, and sheer ineptitude of the Empire. As an added bonus there have been no Skywalkers or Palpatines (other than a mention) so far.

It's a pretty slow burn show but it is telling Star Wars stories that have never been told before. What's it like to be a "noble" politician under a galactic emperor? What's it like to be a mid-level investigator?

I think it might be my favorite Star Wars thing ever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The thing about Andor is everything about is higher quality than any Star Wars that has come before it. The fantastic writing and acting stick out because those have always been kind of terrible, but in terms of visual effects, cinematography, sets and costuming it's easily the most visually rich and convincing. Even the action scenes have palpable tension instead of being goofy swashbuckling nonsense, and there's no "I have a bad feeling about this" or wilhelm screams, stuff happens that's a genuine gutpunch.

The only criticism I have is the pacing of middle episodes within the 3 episode arcs can drag a bit, but that can be remedied by waiting a couple weeks for each batch (I'm not that patient).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See to me a Star Wars that isn’t at least some part cheesy swashbuckling nonsense is missing the entire point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Star Wars had more going on than that. There was a strong political undercurrent, drawing unsubtle allusions between the Empire and US/UK policies and political values. Andor runs with that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

Star Wars had more going on than that. There was a strong political undercurrent, drawing unsubtle allusions between the Empire and US/UK policies and political values. Andor runs with that thread.

Yeah but you can’t just take out the Flash Gordon stuff any more than you can take out the Kurosawa influences. I’ll get around to the show but the people talking it up keep acting like it’s an inherently good thing for this goofy kid’s stuff to finally be Taken Seriously and that attitude rarely leads somewhere good.

Like if anything the problem with Disney SW to date has been the excessive reverence and treating franchise nostalgia as a sacred thing.