Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

I assume you're referring both to the number of democrats that aren't fully pro choice (without compromise) and having abortion to fundraiser and campaign on.

But before anybody else freaks about that last bit, would it be fair to say a significant amount may want to but can't because our systems and electorate are crazy town bananas hosed.

in precisely the same way that a significant amount of the republican party, with a trifecta, couldn't repeal the ACA.

yes, sure, they ran on doing it, insofar as the party claimed to have an electoral reason to exist it was to accomplish this goal, the opportunity to do it arose, and bizarrely, given the chance to do so, the party with the mandate to accomplish this goal discovered that actually it had more important priorities

funny how that happens sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

in precisely the same way that a significant amount of the republican party, with a trifecta, couldn't repeal the ACA.

yes, sure, they ran on doing it, insofar as the party claimed to have an electoral reason to exist it was to accomplish this goal, the opportunity to do it arose, and bizarrely, given the chance to do so, the party with the mandate to accomplish this goal discovered that actually it had more important priorities

funny how that happens sometimes.

Did they really have a mandate to do it or did the GOP only realize too late that the voting public would have go absolutely nuts with the effects of repealing the ACA without putting something else in place? It was my impression that it was the latter.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

I assume you're referring both to the number of democrats that aren't fully pro choice (without compromise) and having abortion to fundraiser and campaign on.

But before anybody else freaks about that last bit, would it be fair to say a significant amount may want to but can't because our systems and electorate are crazy town bananas hosed.

It's mainly just referring to this guy:
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1588892644016816130

He's always been a conservative jackass, though, and efforts to run more leftist candidates in his heavily red state have largely failed as far as I'm aware.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Did they really have a mandate to do it or did the GOP only realize too late that the voting public would have go absolutely nuts with the effects of repealing the ACA without putting something else in place? It was my impression that it was the latter.

It's kind of in between the two. It turns out that by 2016, centrists meant "repeal Obamacare" to mean "pass a bill that claims to repeal Obamacare while leaving most of the actual policy in place, or replacing it with something substantially similar". Freedom Caucus types, on the other hand, genuinely wanted to repeal large parts of the actual policy proposals in the bill, and they persisted even in the face of polls showing it was extremely unpopular.

They spent a good while publicly feuding over different proposals. The centrist wing of the GOP were terrified of repealing it without replacing it with something else, while the Freedom Caucus types insisted that the centrists' replacement proposals were too similar to Obamacare and didn't repeal enough of it. Ultimately, they were never able to get the sufficient number of Senate votes behind a single proposal that was also capable of passing the House.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It's mainly just referring to this guy:
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1588892644016816130

He's always been a conservative jackass, though, and efforts to run more leftist candidates in his heavily red state have largely failed as far as I'm aware.

Paula-Jean Swearingen at least seems, on paper, to be the perfect progressive candidate for WV (union family, involved in miners' rights) , but even running against an actual Republican she couldn't win or even come close. It sucks.

And every attempt to move away from the coal industry, even if its just replacing it with green jobs, is met with unending resistance because dammit this occupation that employs less people than Arby's is the only way.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I consider our leaders desire/need to cater to* an electorate that's woefully uninformed, misinformed, apathetic (and willing or forced to vote against their own interests) a step worse than what I think you're implying. I guess I'm saying the whole setup is so hosed, populace leaders and common understanding, that I can't imagine a path forward even for a group of people who wanted to represent my interests (not that I think the democrats completely do).

Maybe I was preemptively playing peacekeeper on the phrasing of YMBs (warranted) attack on the dems, apologies.

*for this exercise, pretend they actually want to do the "good" things

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was unemployed and bouncing from job to job for good long minute there not too long ago and the ACA essentially kept me..well..."alive" would be too strong a word since nothing that ails me is life threatening but more "not going bankrupt" for my health issues. So I suppose "solvent" would be a better way of putting it. Although one could argue that mental health and chronic pain issues might be deemed as life threatening through certain lenses and degrees of severity.

Conservative candidates and their voters are all well and good at wanting to abolish "handouts" up until it affects THEIR handouts or, probably more to the point, whenever someone gets more help than they themselves receive. In which case it's "government hands off my Medicare" time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Paula-Jean Swearingen at least seems, on paper, to be the perfect progressive candidate for WV (union family, involved in miners' rights) , but even running against an actual Republican she couldn't win or even come close. It sucks.

And every attempt to move away from the coal industry, even if its just replacing it with green jobs, is met with unending resistance because dammit this occupation that employs less people than Arby's is the only way.

Did you miss her recent Four Yorkshiremen routine where she declared that :

Living off crackers and ketchup is luxury. The rural poor don't have access to ketchup packets.

Sleeping on the streets is luxury. Poor coal miners don't have streets to sleep on.

Anyone who has ever partied is bourgeoisie. The poor can't afford to party (this was also in response to someone who WORKED at parties and took home leftovers)

If she is the perfect candidate for the left, there's a reason we remain on the fringes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nice democracy we got going here. Be a shame if something were to happen to it

https://news.yahoo.com/homeland-security-admits-tried-manufacture-114500599.html

Homeland Security Admits It Tried to Manufacture Fake Terrorists for Trump

quote:

The Department of Homeland Security launched a failed operation that ensnared hundreds, if not thousands, of U.S. protesters in what new documents show was as a sweeping, power-hungry effort before the 2020 election to bolster President Donald Trump’s spurious claims about a “terrorist organization” he accused his Democratic rivals of supporting.

An internal investigative report, made public this month by Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat of Oregon, details the findings of DHS lawyers concerning a previously undisclosed effort by Trump’s acting secretary of homeland security, Chad Wolf, to amass secret dossiers on Americans in Portland attending anti-racism protests in summer 2020 sparked by the police murder of Minneapolis father George Floyd.

The report describes attempts by top officials to link protesters to an imaginary terrorist plot in an apparent effort to boost Trump’s reelection odds, raising concerns now about the ability of a sitting president to co-opt billions of dollars’ worth of domestic intelligence assets for their own political gain. DHS analysts recounted orders to generate evidence of financial ties between protesters in custody; an effort that, had they not failed, would have seemingly served to legitimize President Trump’s false claims about “Antifa,” an “organization” that even his most loyal intelligence officers failed to drum up proof ever existed.

The DHS report offers a full accounting of the intelligence activities happening behind the scenes of officers’ protest containment; “twisted efforts,” Wyden said, of Trump administration officials promoting “baseless conspiracy theories” to manufacture of a domestic terrorist threat for the president’s “political gain.” The report describes the dossiers generated by DHS as having detailed the past whereabouts and the “friends and followers of the subjects, as well as their interests” — up to and including “First Amendment speech activity.” Intelligence analysts had internally raised concerns about the decision to accuse anyone caught in the streets by default of being an “anarchist extremist” specifically because “sufficient facts” were never found “to support such a characterization.”

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Nice democracy we got going here. Be a shame if something were to happen to it

https://news.yahoo.com/homeland-security-admits-tried-manufacture-114500599.html

Homeland Security Admits It Tried to Manufacture Fake Terrorists for Trump

"Do to the leftists what you did to the Muslims..."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

Did you miss her recent Four Yorkshiremen routine where she declared that :

Living off crackers and ketchup is luxury. The rural poor don't have access to ketchup packets.

Sleeping on the streets is luxury. Poor coal miners don't have streets to sleep on.

Anyone who has ever partied is bourgeoisie. The poor can't afford to party (this was also in response to someone who WORKED at parties and took home leftovers)

If she is the perfect candidate for the left, there's a reason we remain on the fringes.

I actually hadn't. But yeah that's...not great. To put it lightly.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

there's so many nice people in WV but even with them you can tell the place is tossing their brains around. It halves your willpower saving throws for insanity effects. If stephen king had grown up with familiarity to that region instead of coastal new england he would have written the King In Yellow, like the actual thing they reference in the book, and accidentally caused Dead Space to be real. The whole place is probably an Elder God burial ground they forgot to put one of those "nothing valued is here, it is best left shunned" messages on top of in case mammals ever evolved to the point of tunneling into the ground to harvest burnable rocks. Paula-Jean is not immune and you must forgive her occasional bursts into things like the Let Them Eat Ketchup speech. They're under a kind of a One Ring style effect, being compelled psychically to keep chipping away at the earthen prison beneath their feet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Staluigi posted:

there's so many nice people in WV but even with them you can tell the place is tossing their brains around. It halves your willpower saving throws for insanity effects. If stephen king had grown up with familiarity to that region instead of coastal new england he would have written the King In Yellow, like the actual thing they reference in the book, and accidentally caused Dead Space to be real. The whole place is probably an Elder God burial ground they forgot to put one of those "nothing valued is here, it is best left shunned" messages on top of in case mammals ever evolved to the point of tunneling into the ground to harvest burnable rocks. Paula-Jean is not immune and you must forgive her occasional bursts into things like the Let Them Eat Ketchup speech. They're under a kind of a One Ring style effect, being compelled psychically to keep chipping away at the earthen prison beneath their feet.

What.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I mean maybe it's better than the curse put on the rest of the democratic establishment which is to be caught in a mental twilight zone time warp effect that causes them to perpetually view the United States or party politics like not a day has passed from 1991.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

It's "Junji Ito writes West Virginia." Or at least some kind of deterministic fanfiction about why everyone and everything there sucks. Honestly, I don't think that looking at it that way is especially more damaging than the way most people in the thread talk about it. Better outcomes are possible from the state, but the state needs massive systemic reform before that happens. Reforms which, it seems, the people of the state will fight against at every turn.

Personally I see the problem as being similar to the way businesses function. Short-term monetary gains are imperative to maximizing shareholder value, but short term monetary gains are incompatible with long term thinking and development. In the same way, voting in democratic leadership and systemic reform in West Virginia would undeniably improve the quality of life of the theoretical average West Virginian, but is incompatible with the short-term monetary security and comfort of the people currently enjoying it.

I imagine that's sort of the problem with democracy and state planning conceptually -- they're basically at odds in terms of value judgements due to their timescale.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Staluigi posted:

A post after my own heart.

And agreed, red states not being the Springfield of Cosmic Horror is a huge missed opportunity.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Staluigi posted:

hang on, are you the haiti expert or the west virginia expert?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Sharkie posted:

I'm pushing back the implication that it's somehow fash to like seeing boobs and dongs.

Oh goodness, no. It's not fash to like boobs and dongs.

Advertisers aren't always a fan of it, though and I bet there's point on Twitter now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

davecrazy posted:

Two words: Kim Kardashian.

Yeah it's almost definitely this, albeit more than just Kim. The Kardashians are notoriously image conscious and it's likely no coincidence that this is finally coming out after she's had time to pretty much completely cut him out of her life.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Meatball posted:

Oh goodness, no. It's not fash to like boobs and dongs.

Advertisers aren't always a fan of it, though and I bet there's point on Twitter now.

Ok thank you! You are right about advertisers not being a fan, but I suspect at the moment they're focusing on other things, like Elon's sweaty and impulsive brain.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Staluigi posted:

This is almost exactly the premise of the "Old Gods of Appalachia" podcast, which is pretty good.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quorum posted:

This is almost exactly the premise of the "Old Gods of Appalachia" podcast, which is pretty good.

100% agree. I love that podcast.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Quorum posted:

the_steve posted:

100% agree. I love that podcast.

Looks promising.

Is there a particularly good episode recommended to jump in on or just start from the beginning?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife also loves it, and says to start at one. However every season starts a new story, so start at the beginning of a season if you don’t want them all right now.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Staluigi posted:

You don't even have to live there, just look at what happened when Bethesda set a Fallout game in WV

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Byzantine posted:

You don't even have to live there, just look at what happened when Bethesda set a Fallout game in WV
it's buggy and unplayable for about the first year?

also no one lives there?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This story is...uh...a bit thick.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/06/us/iowa-teen-killed-alleged-rapist-escape/index.html

The Iowa teen who killed her alleged rapist and was sentenced to probation has escaped from custody
Michelle Watson Dakin Andone

quote:

Pieper Lewis, the Iowa teenager who killed a man she said raped her and was sentenced to probation and ordered to pay restitution to his family, has escaped from a residential corrections facility, according to Iowa’s Fifth Judicial District Department of Corrections.

Lewis “walked away from the Fresh Start Women’s Center on Friday at 6:19 a.m. after cutting off her electronic monitoring tracking device,” Jerry Evans, the district’s executive director, told CNN in an email Sunday morning. “At this time, her whereabouts are unknown.”

Officials have filed a probation violation report, Evans said, recommending her probation be revoked. “A warrant for her arrest was subsequently issued that remains outstanding.”

Lewis was 15 years old when she killed a man she said had raped her multiple times, CNN previously reported. She received a deferred judgment from Polk County District Judge David Porter after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter and willful injury, and in September an Iowa judge ordered Lewis to pay $150,000 to his family in restitution, as required by Iowa law.

Porter also ruled Lewis would receive five years’ probation, serve 200 hours of community service and pay an additional $4,000 in civil penalties. The deferred judgment meant it could be expunged from Lewis’ record.

Just horrible poo poo all the way down

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

-Blackadder- posted:

Looks promising.

Is there a particularly good episode recommended to jump in on or just start from the beginning?

Absolutely start at the beginning.
Each season is it's own story, but they do plenty of callbacks and bring back characters, so, best to start at 1.

BiggerBoat posted:

This story is...uh...a bit thick.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/06/us/iowa-teen-killed-alleged-rapist-escape/index.html

The Iowa teen who killed her alleged rapist and was sentenced to probation has escaped from custody
Michelle Watson Dakin Andone

Just horrible poo poo all the way down

Jesus. While on a visceral level, I hope she clowns on everyone chasing her down for awhile, that's realistically no way to live and I hope she's able to get herself into some sort of best-case scenario, whatever that would entail.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

hang on, are you the haiti expert or the west virginia expert?

Excuse me I read a Wikipedia entry on both which makes me the expert on what's good for the people there.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Staluigi posted:

I too, listen to Old Gods of Appalachia (it's a good podcast).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sharkie posted:

Ok thank you! You are right about advertisers not being a fan, but I suspect at the moment they're focusing on other things, like Elon's sweaty and impulsive brain.

The bigger problem is that unmoderated, unverified images of naked people on social media becomes a horrifying breeding ground for child exploitation.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

-Blackadder- posted:

Looks promising.

I'll hop in to be the nay sayer. The story is rad (i made it about halfway through the first season), but it's about equal parts story and ads, which makes it unlistenable in my opinion.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beast Pussy posted:

I'll hop in to be the nay sayer. The story is rad (i made it about halfway through the first season), but it's about equal parts story and ads, which makes it unlistenable in my opinion.

If you can weave a story about elder gods loving their Quip toothbrush after waking up from their relaxing Leesa mattress effectively then it could work

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GoutPatrol posted:

If you can weave a story about elder gods loving their Quip toothbrush after waking up from their relaxing Leesa mattress effectively then it could work

ngl they should have done a couple ads narrated by The Man From The Railroad

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

GoutPatrol posted:

"Brave men, going down deep into the heart of the earth, watching their daddies die next to 'em in those cramped tunnels, with nothing to protect 'em. If only they had NordVPN to keep the demons at bay."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the_steve posted:

Absolutely start at the beginning.
Each season is it's own story, but they do plenty of callbacks and bring back characters, so, best to start at 1.

Jesus. While on a visceral level, I hope she clowns on everyone chasing her down for awhile, that's realistically no way to live and I hope she's able to get herself into some sort of best-case scenario, whatever that would entail.

I can't imagine it ending well no matter how it shakes out and just...reading about this...

Man, it hit me hard. Just hosed up from top to bottom without a good start, end or finish in loving sight and a just a case study of a hopeless situation with no good solutions.

Not kidding when I say this story shook me for real and spun my head a bit. Made me sad.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Beast Pussy posted:

"Brave men, going down deep into the heart of the earth, watching their daddies die next to 'em in those cramped tunnels, with nothing to protect 'em. If only they had NordVPN to keep the demons at bay."

Folks, have you ever passed beyond the moon gate to the realm of listless penumbra, only to find your favorite shows are no longer available in your region? With NordVPN, you have access to servers in 30 countries. Never miss an episode again!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Seems like picking 50% as an arbitrary number and then making 3,700 decisions in a week wasn't a smart move.

https://twitter.com/MattNavarra/status/1589345067013378048

quote:

Twitter Now Asks Some Fired Workers to Please Come Back

Twitter Inc., after laying off roughly half the company on Friday following Elon Musk’s $44 billion acquisition, is now reaching out to dozens of employees who lost their jobs and asking them to return.

Some of those who are being asked to return were laid off by mistake, according to two people familiar with the moves. Others were let go before management realized that their work and experience may be necessary to build the new features Musk envisions, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing private information.

The comedy theory that Elon is speedrunning the Lowtax business model is becoming more true by the day. He just announced that if your account is banned from Twitter, then you can buy it back for $8.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589450301916213248
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589451026981335040

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 7, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A suspicious amount of emphasis on 'comedy' too, like it's a website dedicated to it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Those tweets are funnier than everything Kathy Griffin ever did tho.

E: wait I forgot when she traumatised Barron by posing with a fake Trump headz that was pretty funny tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Elon really wants to be this cool guy who rolls with the punches.