Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Montague Tigg posted:

does the chant get better? I'm like an hour into it and almost to the point where I'm bored enough to refund it. I rarely refund games but I can't really see this one getting better for 5 more hours

Assuming you've gotten to the part where the horror start no, I liked it but if you don't like it by that point then you aren't going to like it later. It keeps to the same formula for pretty much each of the part all the way to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Just finished Signalis and that was a game. Still need to watch YouTube explainer videos to make sense of it.

Any suggestions 'easy' horror games? I don't feel like dealing with clunky or difficult combat. Maybe a horror walking sim. How difficult does Eternal Darkness get?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

tensai posted:

Just finished Signalis and that was a game. Still need to watch YouTube explainer videos to make sense of it.

Any suggestions 'easy' horror games? I don't feel like dealing with clunky or difficult combat. Maybe a horror walking sim. How difficult does Eternal Darkness get?

Eternal Darkness's spell system makes that answer a little differing, if I remember right. If you find the right runes you get a really nice arsenal to work with. It's been so long since I've played it.

Besides, the sanity system works when you aren't always at max health breezing through, give it a shot! It's not a difficult game I would say, and a classic!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

tensai posted:

Amnesia Rebirth has a combat-free mode with increased puzzling

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think Soma also has a combat-free mode. Not sure if it qualifies as horror, but Vanishing of Ethan Carter may also be something that fits what you're looking for

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah Soma added in Safe Mode a while back.

If you're looking for something short, Anatomy by Kitty Horrorshow might be up your alley. They've also got some other horror walking sims to check out if you end up liking Anatomy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tensai posted:

It can be a pain in the arse sometimes and has a lot in common with other survival horror of the time, the magic system can make things easier but eh.

And of the Amnesia games or SOMA are probably worth trying.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I wouldn't say the combat in Eternal Darkness is difficult (outside of a few gimmick bosses and the final chapter) but there is a lot of it.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Eternal Darkness is worth it for sure, Pious Agustous was cool as gently caress.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Eternal Darkness is an adventure game that happens to use combat as a puzzle too. Prepping the right spells/weapons and managing resources will get you further than twitch reflexes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao i guess the trains are still running

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Lmao i guess the trains are still running

Mind the gap

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Worth pointing out that Soma and Amnesia rebirth are both pretty easy games even if you don't turn off the ability to die.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
decided to just plow through the chant and it was okay but I kind of wish I had refunded it. oh well it was an okay game. I feel less ripped off paying for that than I did playing through the medium on game pass

is a plague tale considered horror? just started playing requiem (like 4 chapters in) and it's basically the same as the first one gameplay-wise although so far I like the story better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, Signalis had a strong start but is really starting to wear on me. I'm currently in chapter 2, I think, running around in Nowhere. Don't have a map, everything is annoying to run through, I have literally seven key items in my inventory box, and every time I run into a room there'll be like, a key item, a healing patch, a handgun bullet, and a bullet for a gun I don't own. All taking up a slot each. I basically run around with the flashlight (which is a required item that need to always be equipped because half the rooms are pitch black - having it need to be equipped is stupid as hell and having it take up an inventory slot is even dumber) and a gun, and I'm constantly filling up, and honestly I'm starting to rethink bringing the gun.

The game has become less about survival horror and more about doing supply runs outside of the save room to collect things until I fill up, then return. This location makes that even worse.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

signalis was so good except for the damned 6 item inventory. the game would have been 9/10 for me if it was even 8 items and like 10 or more would have probably made it too easy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

was it this thread that suggest Case of the Golden Idol as an Obra Dinn-lite? I spent an afternoon playing it and it was a pretty good time. A little too light on the detective stuff (i really didn't like the chapter where you had to figure out demerit points) but it was a good time overall, fun pulp story too

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
There's a mod for extra slots available on nexusmods

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

tensai posted:

If you like low res aesthetic; Security Booth: Directors cut and Faith are both good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tensai posted:

Any suggestions 'easy' horror games? I don't feel like dealing with clunky or difficult combat. Maybe a horror walking sim.

look up anything made by chilla's art; they specialize in PS1-style horror walking sims of varying intensity. really excellent at building atmosphere, though be aware that there's usually at least a handful of jump scares

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

was it this thread that suggest Case of the Golden Idol as an Obra Dinn-lite? I spent an afternoon playing it and it was a pretty good time. A little too light on the detective stuff (i really didn't like the chapter where you had to figure out demerit points) but it was a good time overall, fun pulp story too

Puzzle thread, I think, but yeah, it's quite good. I didn't find the conclusion very satisfactory from a narrative PoV, tho.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’d say your first run in eternal darkness depends on which god you choose. I forget the color coding but guy who gives you sanity magic at the cost of healing spells is unintentionally hard mode.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

al-azad posted:

I’d say your first run in eternal darkness depends on which god you choose. I forget the color coding but guy who gives you sanity magic at the cost of healing spells is unintentionally hard mode.

Green enemies take sanity, blue magic, and red health.

The spell would be the healing spell with the blue glyph, if that's what you mean, and yeah the cost to replenish ratio was not good if I recall

E: stolen from the archives of gamefaqs

quote:

Green is generally considered to be the easiest, with Red every enemy has slightly higher Hit Points, with Blue some of the enemies do stupid tricks like explode as they die

The Green path is semi-easy. The enemies are weaker than the others, but you will lose alot more sanity since the enemies drain more of it, resulting in health loss when your sanity meter drops past zero. This is good since you will see more sanity effects, but early in the game it is difficult to heal yourself.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 7, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Morpheus posted:

Man, Signalis had a strong start but is really starting to wear on me. I'm currently in chapter 2, I think, running around in Nowhere. Don't have a map, everything is annoying to run through, I have literally seven key items in my inventory box, and every time I run into a room there'll be like, a key item, a healing patch, a handgun bullet, and a bullet for a gun I don't own. All taking up a slot each. I basically run around with the flashlight (which is a required item that need to always be equipped because half the rooms are pitch black - having it need to be equipped is stupid as hell and having it take up an inventory slot is even dumber) and a gun, and I'm constantly filling up, and honestly I'm starting to rethink bringing the gun.

The game has become less about survival horror and more about doing supply runs outside of the save room to collect things until I fill up, then return. This location makes that even worse.

lol yeah the inventory mechanic is fuckin dogshit

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It would be fine if the flashlight didn't go into your inventory at all and if tool items were moved into their own tool slot once equipped instead of hanging around. The game throws enough resources at you, at least on normal, that there has to be some kind of bottleneck. Its just that tools push things too far in the wrong direction.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Signalis borrows a lot from RE games but the inventory is a mess even by RE standards.

In RE1make Chris has only 6 slots but you rarely need more than 1 key item at a time so you aren't drowning in them. Usually you come back to item box just to drop off any excess loot, switch weapons and save while at it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Plus finding an inventory expansion slot in RE is always such a good feeling.

Went back to signalis tonight and had to try every code in the radio to open the sword safe since the game hosed up and didn't save the radio station key for me. Really frustrating. I got it open though.

So far I'd say it an ok game. It's got some cool stuff going on but it really isn't very tense and the areas are way too samey. Not loving the kind of weird off brand anime aspect of the style either. although I like the style a lot otherwise.

I like it enough that I'll finish it but I'm not in love with it either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Montague Tigg posted:

is a plague tale considered horror? just started playing requiem (like 4 chapters in) and it's basically the same as the first one gameplay-wise although so far I like the story better.

You get to experience the horror of losing hours of progress because the game checkpoints you just as you're being eaten by rats I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing The Chant, seems decent enough, the only real depth to combat is trying to make sure you have enough of whatever you're fighting is weak to do you're not wasting 'ammo' using stuff that doesn't do as much damage. By far not the worst horror game combat I've played this year though.

Still lol that the early videos made it look like Until Dawn, I think I've had like five dialogue options in two or three hours and the rest has been fighting and exploring.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

I should give some context: few months ago I asked this thread for games that don't have the lurking enemy like Mr.X in RE2R because I hated that. I ended up beating RE2R (didn't do scenario B) and kinda enjoyed it, so i'm looking for the next thing to try out. Still hate enemies that stalk you

While SH2 technically has a stalking enemy, there's only a few, short sections where they are physically in the level chasing you, and even then it's not really comparable to Mr.X. Mostly they just pop up at plot relevant moments. The game also relies more on atmosphere than jump scares, with very rare exceptions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Play A:I if you haven’t, and the RE1 Remake is a patch on the original / adds a pretty freaky follower enemy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol that’s the exact opposite of what they wanted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alien isolation has the best stalker enemy though. Way more fun than Mr X

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr. Xenomorph, I call him

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

alien isolation is nearly perfect but could still be improved by the xenomorph wearing a trenchcoat and hat

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Montague Tigg posted:

alien isolation is nearly perfect but could still be improved by the xenomorph wearing a trenchcoat and hat

Only if the nested mouth gets to wear a tiny matching hat.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Would the hat go on top of the long head, or stuck on the end that doesn't have the mouth?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's a beanie that covers the entirety of the inner jaws, to really hammer home the penis allegory.

Goddammit where is my Alien Isolation sequel? I want another first-person horror metroid that finally gives you a pulse rifle which becomes an almost-immediate liability when blasting a xenomorph splashes you with molecular acid and draws a dozen of its friends to your location.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I always feel like I'm crazy when people start praising Alien: Isolation. I like pursuer enemies like Mr. X and Nemesis, I like chase sequences, but when they're instant kill the whole illusion just falls apart for me. It no longer matters how much work they put into the animations or sound design or pathing, as soon as it gets me once I don't see any of that any more. I just see a big Load Game screen following me around as I retread the same poo poo I just did. It's not scary or tense or challenging anymore, it's annoying.

Mr. X works for me because it keeps the tension going much better. Because even if I gently caress up or get sloppy, the game still expects me to react and try to save myself. If Mr. X punches me in the head, I get a little charge of panic as I now have to figure out what to do out of my rapidly decreasing list of options as quickly as I can. The Alien grabs me and, whatever just reload. It's kind of like stealth sections: getting caught and trying to recover is most of the fun for me.

Maybe I just like the scramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's definitely my biggest gripe in the early parts of the game, where your only options when the alien's around is to either keep hidden or die, but as you progressed you were given all kinds of tools and strategies for staying alive, even when the creature is barreling towards you down a hallway. Noisemakers, door locks, molotovs, (even the guns can scare him off if you hit him in the face enough times) etc. Hell, at some points you could straight-up weaponize the alien to clear out problem survivors with a little cunning.

I also found it great when the alien would seemingly adapt to your habits: ignoring flares; checking lockers more often; getting cautious whenever you pull the flamethrower; all of it served to make it feel like an actual antagonistic being stalking you, instead of just an invincible monster.