Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

petit choux posted:

Not familiar with this "Deja Vu"
figures you'd find several, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

figures you'd find several, though

Much like Herb

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Remember to vacuum clean them and throw out anything from Barbara Streisand or Julio Iglesias.

Ha, was in a charity shop and they had several Barbara Streisand AND Julio Iglesias LPs in their meagre selection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Can you really even call it a thrift store record section without Johnny Mathis?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And now that I've looked him up I realize he's a Welshman so I can no longer deride my kinsman.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 7, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've revised my opinions on Tom and some of the singers from those days that I mostly can't even begin to relate to. They were in a different world, that's for sure. But I wanted to say, I was driving through the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia with my wife and I just felt such an affection for her I started singing Englebert's "After The Lovin'" and it was so right. It was kinda like that Tiny Dancer moment in Almost Famous.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CPL593H posted:

Can you really even call it a thrift store record section without Johnny Mathis?

My experience:
- Mantovani and His Orchestra
- Percy Faith and His Orchestra
- Sing Along With Mitch
- Firestone Christmas albums
- late Judy Collins albums (including that one)
- at least two Barbara Streisand albums
- Herb Alpert!
- something about Buick and/or Dynagroove
- Ray Coniff singers
- Andy Williams
- Jim Neighbors
- Al Hirt
- The Four Freshmen/Kingston Trio/Lettermen
- ORGANS!
- 1-3 really good albums you've been looking for that turn out to be unplayable

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pretzellogic posted:

My experience:
- Sing Along With Mitch
- Herb Alpert!
- Ray Coniff singers
- Andy Williams
- Jim Neighbors
- Al Hirt
- ORGANS!

It's hilarious how accurate this is. I've learned to not get too excited when I see the cover of something actually good. 95% of the time that's why it's still there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pretzellogic posted:

My experience:
- Sing Along With Mitch
- Herb Alpert!
- Ray Coniff singers
- Andy Williams
- Jim Neighbors
- Al Hirt
- ORGANS!

Throw in some Ferrante and Teicher, an LP of hymns, and specifically the Streisand album with Barry Gibb on the cover and I think you got everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is sooooooo much religious music at my local thrift joints

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pretzellogic posted:

My experience:
- Sing Along With Mitch
- Herb Alpert!
- Ray Coniff singers
- Andy Williams
- Jim Neighbors
- Al Hirt
- ORGANS!

Honky Tonk Piano!

The ORGANS, some of those are really cool. Organs were what we had before they invented synths. Instead of measuring LFO period, they measured the tubes and the stops. I think I found the ultimate one when I got that Bach collection a few weeks back.

Here, I'm actually selling these catalogs but have a gander at the pics anyway. These are well-to-do Scottish gentlemen's clothiers in the 1960s. The swatch is probably pretty fragile at this point but the onion skin of the letter feels almost like new. Just old stuff I thought might amuse you.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Some other old media I picked up:

And we were talking about Josef Albers the other day -- good catch, thanks -- I just came across my old college textbook:

Albers was probably a bigger influence on my life than a lot of stuff. One of my favorite professors in school was a color field painter. And Albers was like one of the main people behind modern graphic design in the western world. Albers and Wong, a couple of my favorites.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

petit choux posted:

The ORGANS, some of those are really cool. Organs were what we had before they invented synths. Instead of measuring LFO period, they measured the tubes and the stops. I think I found the ultimate one when I got that Bach collection a few weeks back.
:hmmyes:

Also, that tartan smoking jacket is dope.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's a Wucius Wong I like better:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Throw in some Ferrante and Teicher, an LP of hymns, and specifically the Streisand album with Barry Gibb on the cover and I think you got everything.

That one Barry Manilow live album.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm sort of asking around, I'm wondering about seminal trance albums or proto-trance. That Tantra above is a candidate, as are albums by Cris and Cosey if that's the correct spelling, Gong, Tentacles, what else should I be thinking of?

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Pretzellogic posted:

My experience:
- Sing Along With Mitch
- Herb Alpert!
- Ray Coniff singers
- Andy Williams
- Jim Neighbors
- Al Hirt
- ORGANS!

I'm constantly finding Nana Mouskouri albums, not sure what she sounds like but she's got that Lisa Loeb thing going on.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

no broccoli please posted:

I'm constantly finding Nana Mouskouri albums, not sure what she sounds like but she's got that Lisa Loeb thing going on.

When there's a Nana Mousskouri there's often a Jennifer Warnes nearby

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pretzellogic posted:

- Herb Alpert!

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1589548090192629760

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay I don't want to make a big deal but I'm selling a copy of Wagner's ring in near mint condition in my SA Mart thread. Whenever I get up off my lazy butt I'll probably sell more records too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016919&pagenumber=1#lastpost

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1589729207319339008

I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Every day I wake up is another day I try to "manifest" a Sims 1 soundtrack on vinyl. :smith:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I was never a big thrift store record shopper but I gave that up years ago. It's just a waste of time, at least around me. Just about anything else I could be doing with my time is a better use of it than constantly being disappointed by the stacks of Streisand and friends.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I was never a big thrift store record shopper but I gave that up years ago. It's just a waste of time, at least around me. Just about anything else I could be doing with my time is a better use of it than constantly being disappointed by the stacks of Streisand and friends.

You can find all sorts of fun things at thrift stores. Even records!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This remains my best thrift store find:

Read After Burning posted:

Laura Branigan (1982)

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I don't really like thrift stores either. If i want some classic rock, i'd rather just pay 20 dollars for a pristine repress. If I want something more specific, the thrift store isn't gonna have it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

I don't really like thrift stores either. If i want some classic rock, i'd rather just pay 20 dollars for a pristine repress. If I want something more specific, the thrift store isn't gonna have it.

Oh waaa

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CatBlack posted:

But you don't know what you want until you find it. In the thrift store.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CatBlack posted:

The fun is finding something weird and paying $2 for it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got some excellent opera boxes from thrift stores!!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’ll look at records when I’m at a thrift store since I’ll look for other things there too (old electronics, odd sports stuff, books) but I don’t think I could bring myself to make it a routine. It’s more of a “oh I’m here anyway might as well look” mentality when it comes to records.

More often then not I’ll find a better cd selection.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Schremp Howard posted:

I’ll look at records when I’m at a thrift store since I’ll look for other things there too (old electronics, odd sports stuff, books) but I don’t think I could bring myself to make it a routine. It’s more of a “oh I’m here anyway might as well look” mentality when it comes to records.

More often then not I’ll find a better cd selection.

It’s usually pretty easy to tell when it’s a stack of old Christmas records or if they got a bunch of new stuff in.

Usually you do that by going to the thrift store 3x a week and going through the records and memorizing them

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mutantIke posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1589729207319339008

I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it.

Now everyone can finally have that funny song from the end and then a bunch of instrumental pieces they don't remember!

BigFactory posted:

It’s usually pretty easy to tell when it’s a stack of old Christmas records or if they got a bunch of new stuff in.

Usually you do that by going to the thrift store 3x a week and going through the records and memorizing them

I've found enough cool poo poo in Savers that I still frequently go back. A bunch of is poo poo I'd never see in a store or if I did it would be pretty expensive. I even find punk records in there now and again. I picked this up one day:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2725552-Leon-Lowman-Syntheseas

A big part of the fun is finding poo poo you never thought you'd find in Savers. I guess the other thing is I'm not strictly looking for records.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BigFactory posted:

The fun is finding something weird and paying $2 for it.

This. I’ll always grab rap and electronic records and I’ve found some fun stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I've found enough cool poo poo in Savers that I still frequently go back. A bunch of is poo poo I'd never see in a store or if I did it would be pretty expensive. I even find punk records in there now and again. I picked this up one day:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2725552-Leon-Lowman-Syntheseas

A big part of the fun is finding poo poo you never thought you'd find in Savers. I guess the other thing is I'm not strictly looking for records.

Yup, same. I go through spurts where I go a lot more often than other times, but it’s fun to find weird or rare stuff at savers. One time I found a promotional hymnal that the Black Crowes printed for the southern harmony tour. Its probably worth a solid $50. Another time I found a copy of Monkey Island 2 in the box with all the stuff for $2. It was stuck in with the puzzles and kids games. I sold it for over $100

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I live in too major of a city for my thrift stores to have anything "good" that I'd want to have to dig for. Anything worth a drat was already picked over before it hit the stores and either put up online or sold to local shops. I'd have to go out to the boonies for anything that I might luck out in finding something cool.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Yup, same. I go through spurts where I go a lot more often than other times, but it’s fun to find weird or rare stuff at savers. One time I found a promotional hymnal that the Black Crowes printed for the southern harmony tour. Its probably worth a solid $50. Another time I found a copy of Monkey Island 2 in the box with all the stuff for $2. It was stuck in with the puzzles and kids games. I sold it for over $100

I think digging through garbage a whole bunch of times and turning up nothing makes the actual good finds all that more satisfying. I'm not in it to sell stuff like a lot of the people digging around in there though. It's all for my own horrible pile of crap.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

I live in too major of a city for my thrift stores to have anything "good" that I'd want to have to dig for. Anything worth a drat was already picked over before it hit the stores and either put up online or sold to local shops. I'd have to go out to the boonies for anything that I might luck out in finding something cool.

Yeah, it's funny I'm living in sort of a little backwater region, but of course it's not like the old days. Back then you could find some fricking Buck Owens live in Tokyo when you wanted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I think digging through garbage a whole bunch of times and turning up nothing makes the actual good finds all that more satisfying. I'm not in it to sell stuff like a lot of the people digging around in there though. It's all for my own horrible pile of crap.

I’ve come to enjoy the sense of self worth I get when I go into Savers and there’s really nothing at all worth buying and I put back the tie I’m holding that I neither want nor need.