Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tomberforce posted:

Power saving chat - just did a bit of a lighting audit at my mums house and replaced over 40 incandescent or Halogen bulbs there with LEDs.

If all the old bulbs were on at the same time they would draw about 2kw. All the LEDs on together would draw about 200 watts so will be significantly cheaper to run, with a longer life.

Worth checking if your lights that you use most often especially are incandescents (if it's been on for a while and is really hot, it will be wasting heaps of power). LEDs won't get anywhere near as hot.

40 bulbs! Does she live in a fair ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

I was assuming old people "don't like new stuff" impulse so hoarding old incandescents.

Or possibly put off by CFTs and thus distrustful of all new bulb technology.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sassassin posted:

I also have exactly 40 bulbs in my house, and it's just a normal size house? They're all LED obv though, and most of them come on by themselves via the power of unnecessary internet frivolity

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those loving recessed into the ceiling fixtures I can’t remember the name of make it like 6-8 bulbs to light one room.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

Those loving recessed into the ceiling fixtures I can’t remember the name of make it like 6-8 bulbs to light one room.

The GU10 downlighters, they're a pain in the balls alright

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's called that because you have to replace ten of them a year.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they are absolutely garbage, we have them in our kitchen and no matter what bulb we buy they go out within a couple of months every time.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I also have exactly 40 bulbs in my house, and it's just a normal size house? They're all LED obv though, and most of them come on by themselves via the power of unnecessary internet frivolity

Made me count the bulbs in my two-up-two-down-with-a-bit-sticking-out-the-back terrace house - including strip lights, the bulbs in the cooker hood and desktop/bedside lamps it's 35. Nearly all LED where possible (still halogens in the ceiling light in the living room coz we hardly ever use it) with a couple of CFLs left in the spare room. And one in a rarely-used side lamp in the front room, which I needed to turn on yesterday and thought "God, I'd forgotten how utterly poo poo these were..."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have like maybe 12 lights in the house, that's including the 6 gutens it takes to light the kitchen and a couple of old lamps I barely use, but not like the fridge/oven/microwave or a lava lamp I just remembered or other things that nobody would include.

There are two or maybe three or four CFLs under the kitchen cupboards that I totally forgot about too, I honestly forget about those even when I'm in the kitchen, you have to switch a switch right at the wrong end near the washing machine isolator switch, seems unnecessary.

The only good downlight brand I found for those where you have 3/4 per thing are the Philips Hue ones, not so much because

Failed Imagineer posted:

unnecessary internet frivolity
but like they haven't died like all other LED brands did. Expensive though.

e: 2x candle bulbs in the vent hood too. I replaced those with LEDs but the light pattern is poo poo so I mostly don't bother.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah they are absolutely garbage, we have them in our kitchen and no matter what bulb we buy they go out within a couple of months every time.

Yeah they're real crap. I also had one in our bedroom closet which I spent 20 mins trying to pry out after it died, but it turned out just to be a fixed light that looked like a GU10 which my electrician installed because they "never die" :argh:.

+1 for the Hue lights though, they're handy when you wanna be extremely lazy and also looking like there's people at home turning on lights when you're away

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Is this supposed to represent a bunch of Tommies buried to their necks in a field of poppies?

Or a pile of decapitated heads?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

+1 for the Hue lights though, they're handy when you wanna be extremely lazy and also looking like there's people at home turning on lights when you're away
I think in the case of the Hue downlights they also last longer because you're not physically switching them on and off, you're using zigbee magic, and those tiny lights have some lovely drivers in that probably don't like things like voltage changes or working.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

sassassin posted:

Yeah lots of them are halogen downlights so lots in one room but she does have lots of lamps around too for some reason!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
On lighting chat, anyone know if MR16 spotlight fittings can be converted into a pendent of some sort in a way that doesn't involve rewiring the fitting? I've got a room lit by spotlights but half the ceiling is angled with no lights fitted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a pair of "daylight" coloured LED bulbs from wilkos that have been going strong for years, because I have no idea how the hell people stand the yellow hue that most bulbs have.

I suppose having pale blue light is not ideal for a bedroom but god drat if I have to look at everything being that nauseating shade of yellow I will unscrew the bulb and put my tongue in the socket.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
GU10s are great in being bad at lighting a whole room but also annoying if you're looking directly into them, meaning if you visit a friend with one of those godawful multiple movable GU10 fittings you can either only slightly light one part of the room or blind half the guests

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Angepain posted:

GU10s are great in being bad at lighting a whole room but also annoying if you're looking directly into them, meaning if you visit a friend with one of those godawful multiple movable GU10 fittings you can either only slightly light one part of the room or blind half the guests

They are also bad for energy efficiency as they are effectively a bunch of holes in your ceiling which you lose heat through.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

On lighting chat, anyone know if MR16 spotlight fittings can be converted into a pendent of some sort in a way that doesn't involve rewiring the fitting? I've got a room lit by spotlights but half the ceiling is angled with no lights fitted.
I can't imagine you can safely, because they're held in with pins and sometimes the screwcap on the whole fitting.

You can definitely get all types of adapters on the internet though, but that's one of the ones I wouldn't.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

GU10 are dumb but our kitchen when we moved in had some other far worse recessed spotlight thing that required the entire unit to be replaced when a bulb went (and obviously had been discontinued in the X years since installation) so I replaced them all with the cursed GU10s.

Changing light fittings is a pretty painless job though even for a fairly unconfident DIYer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of electrickery, my power station arrived on Saturday, and it's a great bit of kit.

I've decided to use it purely for 12V + USB charging, as just by having the inverter part switched on uses ~6Wh. I'm currently looking for a couple of nice low wattage 12V warm light LED bulbs to light the flat in the event of an blackout, and I'm really liking these 12-24V LED Edison bulbs. They draw 6W, but give out the light of a 60W incandescent.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I have a pair of "daylight" coloured LED bulbs from wilkos that have been going strong for years, because I have no idea how the hell people stand the yellow hue that most bulbs have.

I suppose having pale blue light is not ideal for a bedroom but god drat if I have to look at everything being that nauseating shade of yellow I will unscrew the bulb and put my tongue in the socket.
give a low colour temp bulb with a cri of 98+ from, say, philips, a chance, should look much better. led's have improved a lot, and the cri in particular is so important to make light actually look good and not-depressing

incandescents suck for efficiency, but old led's are literally just depression lighting

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

No wonder so many died in the French Campaigns, red's pretty loving obvious in the trenches/no man's land

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kliras posted:

give a low colour temp bulb with a cri of 98+ from, say, philips, a chance, should look much better. led's have improved a lot, and the cri in particular is so important to make light actually look good and not-depressing

incandescents suck for efficiency, but old led's are literally just depression lighting

I bought someone some new LEDs for a present, the other week, they love them, I still hate them, I just don't like the colour of indoor lighting, never have and don't think I ever will. My parents have piles of fancy phillips lighting that changes colour and is linked to the stupid alexa thing, whenever I dogsit I lock us all in the living room and close the curtains and set the lighting to look like I'm in a command and conquer cutscene.

The standard colour of indoor residential lighting is an affront to god. Quite happy with my all white walls and pale blue bulbs. Least I can get some normal clean light even if I'm asleep all day.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guavanaut posted:

The only good downlight brand I found for those where you have 3/4 per thing are the Philips Hue ones, not so much because

but like they haven't died like all other LED brands did. Expensive though.

Yeah seconding this. A few years ago I put Hue lights in almost every room in the house, but to save money about half the bulbs were "Innr" brand compatible ones. Most of those have since either died or partially failed. However all the Philips originals are still working fine 3 years later.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The one place not corrupted by Tories - SPAESS

Alternatively you can get those stick up strips of LED lights for something like £5 on amazon. Got one for Christmas a few years back.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Failed Imagineer posted:

The GU10 downlighters, they're a pain in the balls alright

My flat is all these and I loving hate them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have a lot of trouble with bright light making me nauseated but *also* I cannot see at all in dim light, and I get around this by mostly lighting places I go with strings of LED fairy lights. They cast a dim, diffuse light that doesn't have hard shadows and is perfect. The only downside is that if I want to do art in the evenings I have to break out the headlamp. Since the only place I can put a bright white light that doesn't blind me and make me ill is on my own head pointing outward.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My first house I bought had G9 halogen spotlight things - they were originally halogen and I swapped them to LEDs, but the fittings they were in made it drat near impossible to change the fuckers, being inside of like, a long thin glass tube. Also because of where they were in my vaulted ceiling, with the height they were at they were like RIGHT at the full extent of my reach on the top step of my stepladder... so I had to do it with my very fingertips. Was a huge pain in the arse.

Anyway yeah I just did a rough count of the bulbs I have in my house now and it's about 45 not including any outdoor lights (about another 5 more) or the fluorescent lights in my garage. I have a hanging light / chandelier thing (not very fancy) over my dining table and one in my stairway with 5 bulbs each, 2 of my bathrooms have the same light fitting with 4 bulbs each, kitchen has a fitting with 3 spots plus one over the sink, 4 recessed spot/downlights in the basement... that's 26 already. Surprising how quickly they add up. Of course some of those particularly in the multi-light fittings are smaller bulbs with lower usage per bulb.

One of the first things we did when we moved in was switch them all to LEDs, saving ourselves a fortune on bills.

One thing I learned when I moved to Canada is that seemingly Canadians (or at least, Canadian housebuilders) have an allergy to Big Lights. Lots of the rooms in our house do not/did not have a main light, instead one of the plugs/wall outlets is powered by one of the wall switches which you would normally expect to be a lightswitch, and the idea is that you have lamps. Very odd to me. I think it's just a way for housebuilders to save money on light fixtures, tbh, but Canadians seem to accept it as normal. We have since added 2 "big lights". Could probably do with more but it's quite a pain in the arse to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

instead one of the plugs/wall outlets is powered by one of the wall switches which you would normally expect to be a lightswitch, and the idea is that you have lamps.
I've done that in my lounge with the magic of hues and stuff, replaced one of the (spur, not ring) outlets with a UK 2A one, which are still being made for lighting purposes

so that it doesn't get switched off or big stuff attempted to be plugged into it, fitted a 2A plug to a side lamp, and put a lamp controlled by one of the wall switches in.

There's a big light too, but it works well for when we don't want that on in the evening, you can just walk in and flick the 'side light' switch without needing any actual fitted wired in wall side lights.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh yeah like it's not a bad thing to have wall outlets or lamps controlled by wall switches, I just feel you want a ceiling light too, in most room types.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Z the IVth posted:

Is this supposed to represent a bunch of Tommies buried to their necks in a field of poppies?

Or a pile of decapitated heads?

looks to me like half a dozen tommies fused together below the neck to create one gloopy ultra-tommie

saves on barracks space

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

Oh yeah like it's not a bad thing to have wall outlets or lamps controlled by wall switches, I just feel you want a ceiling light too, in most room types.

I hate not having the big light overhead.

I call my mother a Creature of the Dark because she never puts the overhead lights on and her sitting room doesn't have one so it's all little pools of light that are never enough to actually read or shitpost by - like hotels never have the big light. I do have side lamps as well but they supplement not replace the big light.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

looks to me like half a dozen tommies fused together below the neck to create one gloopy ultra-tommie

saves on barracks space

They have been assimilated by the Poppy, resistance is futile.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
To go back to that Starmer interview, watch the full thing as his mental gymnastics over Scottish independence are quite something.

https://twitter.com/Obsayxx/status/1589346058819469313?s=20&t=M7gUvSr6EuN5QZ1tYsHfAw

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angepain posted:

Yeah the previous owners of my flat lit the entire place exclusively with movable GU10 lamps, the whole place is patchy light / dark / gestapo interrogation and it sucks.

I took one of them down to replace, looked at the big tangle of wires and realised I was probably going to kill myself and/or burn the place down, so it’s on the big list of “house stuff that needs sorting”

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Z the IVth posted:

You can get 12V pendants but the problem will be inside the ceiling as there probably isn't a decent mounting surface behind them to secure them to

Granted a lot of pendant fittings are actually just screwed to some nail ridden scrap wood that got wedged behind it but that's just electrical work in the UK tbh

Lungboy posted:

To go back to that Starmer interview, watch the full thing as his mental gymnastics over Scottish independence are quite something.

https://twitter.com/Obsayxx/status/1589346058819469313?s=20&t=M7gUvSr6EuN5QZ1tYsHfAw

he's fuckin' toast come a general election

can barely fluster out the pre-prepared focus grouped lines about sitting around the kitchen table worrying about bills- which is apparently the in thing and sole concern for all scotsfolk

gutter press start going in on just a few of the skeletons in his closet and he will turn puce with discomfit

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1589535988103393280

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

saves on barracks space

David Cronenberg's 1917

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

You can get 12V pendants but the problem will be inside the ceiling as there probably isn't a decent mounting surface behind them to secure them to

Granted a lot of pendant fittings are actually just screwed to some nail ridden scrap wood that got wedged behind it but that's just electrical work in the UK tbh

Thank all for this. Turns out they're GU10s rather than MR16s so there's a kit for that. Just planning to hang a small bulb on a short lead off it so I can >180 degrees of light vs the 36 degrees provided by the downlights. Good reminder re: weight though as I hadn't thought of that though I wasn't planning on hanging a heavy shade on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Ugh, faced a moral dilemma this morning, don't feel like I handled it well. Would like your thoughts for next time.

In local Greggs. Guy in front of me in line starts opening boxes and eating the contents. Gets to the till, asks for glass of water, says he has no money. The girl working said she's seen him all this week eating pastries without paying, says he shouldn't do that. He starts shouting at the staff, "Who the gently caress do you think you're accusing? You'll be sorry for saying this about me!". They ask him to leave. He starts throwing the empty boxes at the staff, trying to get into the behind-the-counter area. Couple people in line start asking him to leave as well, the Greggs ladies say they'll call the police if he doesn't leave. Eventually, he does.

I go outside, he's still there, stalking back and forth, muttering about "I'll get them" and "They'll be sorry for accusing me.". I stand for a bit, then tell him I think he should leave, he's scaring people, if the police come he'll be in trouble. He starts asking "who the gently caress are you to say this to me?", keeps saying how he's going to "get them", etc. After a bit I start raising MY voice, telling him to get the gently caress out of here, etc.

In the end the whole thing was too tense for me, so I left...and called the police. I didn't like doing it, but I could see the staff were frightened by this guy and he wasn't listening to reason. I had to go, but didn't want to do nothing. They said the staff had called them already and someone was on the way.

Feel like poo poo for how it all went. Feel like a coward for not saying anything when he was acting out in the store. Feel like me talking to him made things worse. Horrible lizard brain voice is saying to me, talk is useless, should have just tried to knock him out, I was bigger than him. Feel like a traitor for calling the plod on anyone, as it almost never makes things better and almost always makes things worse.

Wish there was a non-violent mental health emergency force or something, backed up by the plod, who could at least be first responders and try and calm things down before violence starts happening.

Bleh. lovely start to the morning anyway. How would you all have handled a situation like this? At what point should one say something or step in? And in what capacity?