Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I'm going insane watching Elon obviously thinking he is just the funniest guy in the world and all the haters are just jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Strong Sauce posted:

if you won the powerball tomorrow, elon musk would still somehow have 100x that. even if its on paper.

but even with this debacle and if he somehow just lost 44 billion outright in this deal and that somehow harmed the rest of his net worth, there are still tons of rich people willing to back him for whatever venture he decides to steal next.

of course. having money is self-justifying - if you were wrong, you'd be poor, right? being rich means you've done something right.

we've so deeply internalized as a society that those without money are such because they deserved it, and those with money have it bc they worked hard, that just having the money basically becomes 'proof' you must be better than other people. think about how often folks bounce criticism off themselves with variations of 'me and my money will be ok'

this is also how money corrupts, bc its becomes easy to believe that lie oneself once you're marinated in the money and status long enough, such that if you keep earning tons of money even when you start loving up massively/start doing rear end in a top hat things, you can believe that you have unlocked some secrets to wealth and you're some amazing intelligent avante garde risk-taker, rather than 'you're just a rich shithead who can afford to make mistakes'.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 7, 2022

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
My ole mate said that what you have in the bank is not a measuure of your wealth but rather what you can borrow, what the banks are prepared to throw your way, as stock prices and so on rise and fall its difficult to tie someones net worth to the amount opf stock they have as well, as we can see that it can suddenly go to nothing due to the will of the market.
essentially, elon was worth enough that some ppl thought he was good for 44 billion.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Data Graham posted:

It's always extremely funny when some Brain Genious decides that the way something has been done for decades is stupid and he's going to swoop in and make it all better, by ... implementing a solution that had been tried and dismissed by experts and actual engineers as fatally flawed or unworkable sometime in the early evolution of the long-standing solution we've all been using.

I do wonder how many techbros lost money on the Juicero.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

sebmojo posted:

This is arguably off topic except inasmuch as it relates to weird men being both rich and useless but it was very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdqrFa6pWLA

:stonk:

15 billion dollars for a bad 2nd Life clone with web 1.0 flash games. That sure is something.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

7lip posted:

Fun fact by spending 10 dollars on a Something Awful account you are by definition 25% more trustworthy than Elon Musk and his 8 dollar check mark.

the ads are also 100x more relevant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

I do wonder how many techbros lost money on the Juicero.

Not enough. Physical objects just don't inhale VC money fast enough.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Twilight zone episode where world's richest man goes to Space, comes back on earth but something's off. He keeps starting flamewars online and burns money away with bad business decisions. People start to wonder if the rich man ever really returned, and then who or what is the impostor...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

madmatt112 posted:

Is this sarcasm, or are you actually unsure why? Because I’m the latter, if so.

It seems like it might be a good day to bury some bad news, ie whilst a primary mechanism for sharing tech news is potentially unusable

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

of course. having money is self-justifying - if you were wrong, you'd be poor, right? being rich means you've done something right.

we've so deeply internalized as a society that those without money are such because they deserved it, and those with money have it bc they worked hard, that just having the money basically becomes 'proof' you must be better than other people. think about how often folks bounce criticism off themselves with variations of 'me and my money will be ok'

this is also how money corrupts, bc its becomes easy to believe that lie oneself once you're marinated in the money and status long enough, such that if you keep earning tons of money even when you start loving up massively/start doing rear end in a top hat things, you can believe that you have unlocked some secrets to wealth and you're some amazing intelligent avante garde risk-taker, rather than 'you're just a rich shithead who can afford to make mistakes'.

huey long had the right idea. nobody should be too rich for their own good

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Free getfiscal

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/statu...ingawful.com%2F

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My favorite part of the last 24 hours is that this is just the current blue checks clowning Elon. They haven’t even started selling the new thing yet!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The dark edgy Brewster millions reboot we’ve been waiting for

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

https://twitter.com/3PSboyd/status/1589399244800413696

This drama and chaos really does have the vibe of forums drama from yesteryear. It's almost nostalgic for internet users of the right generation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elon is utterly obsessed with the private plane posting guy lmfao

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 7, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

:stonk:

15 billion dollars for a bad 2nd Life clone with web 1.0 flash games. That sure is something.

i'm not into conspiracy theories but people in the youtube comments mention that employees are encouraged to play and those people he encountered in the virtual standup club are awfuly excited over someone new turning up.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Oh I just assumed those were the streamer’s fans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wonder when elon will realize that this is just going to be every day for the rest of his life

like he doesnt have the backbone to log off twitter and hes too obsessed with attention to get bored of it so hes just going to spend every day arguing with people on it about how hes running the site. hell never go far enough for the hardcore right wingers (because hes a coward) and hell never be able to satisfy everyone (because its twitter) so this will just keep happening forever. even if some kind of equilibrium is found after a few weeks he's always going to be getting yelled at. there's a reason @jack never posted anything but bland CEO stuff that he probably farmed out to an intern. and twitter will probably stay up for another decade, even if it bleeds most of its userbase at some point.

like, when does it dawn on him that this is forever?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Endorph posted:

i wonder when elon will realize that this is just going to be every day for the rest of his life

like he doesnt have the backbone to log off twitter and hes too obsessed with attention to get bored of it so hes just going to spend every day arguing with people on it about how hes running the site. hell never go far enough for the hardcore right wingers (because hes a coward) and hell never be able to satisfy everyone (because its twitter) so this will just keep happening forever. even if some kind of equilibrium is found after a few weeks he's always going to be getting yelled at. there's a reason @jack never posted anything but bland CEO stuff that he probably farmed out to an intern. and twitter will probably stay up for another decade, even if it bleeds most of its userbase at some point.

around the time he changed his personal account's location to Hell

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Endorph posted:

No, it will only be a few more posts and then everyone will come around. Just going to keep posting until the ship is righted. Just a few more posts.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe people were telling him he was spending too much time on Twitter so he bought Twitter so now it’s part of his job and they can’t complain.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

holy poo poo I'd no idea it was so janky. From the promo material I thought it was just a polished but incredibly bland environment. I'd no idea it was the Bubsy 3D of VR.

:lmao: wow, we don't have horizon worlds available in Australia so I never had a chance to try it. I can't believe how janky and basic this is.

Does Zuck think this is the future?? Billions of dollars really does rot your brain.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It must be the future. It's where all people will have oddly shaped faces that don't emote properly, just like him.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Endorph posted:

The posting Sisyphus

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

staberind posted:

My ole mate said that what you have in the bank is not a measuure of your wealth but rather what you can borrow, what the banks are prepared to throw your way, as stock prices and so on rise and fall its difficult to tie someones net worth to the amount opf stock they have as well, as we can see that it can suddenly go to nothing due to the will of the market.
essentially, elon was worth enough that some ppl thought he was good for 44 billion.

No, musk did not borrow 44 billion

(Hilariously) most of the cash is elons own, largely from selling tesla stock. So far this deal has cost musk at least 100 billion dollars in net worth. It might be the largest drop anyone has ever had in the history of mankind.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you are in the EU and have a Twitter account, especially if you got banned for clowning on him, now is the time to enact your GDPR rights and ask them to provide you with any and all data they have about you.

I bet there are enough people left at twitter to timely answer your request and it wouldn't lead to huge problems and fines at all if enough people did this.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 7, 2022

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Elon paid something like three times what Twitter was worth.

When you factor in the drops in Tesla stock that have resulted from what he had to sell, in order for Elon to break even on buying Twitter, its worth needs to triple. Not from what Twitter was worth before he bought it, it has to triple from the inflated valuation he paid.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought he'd got a wodge from the Saudi wealth fund (presumably buying direct access to use it for tracking down protesters)?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goatface posted:

I thought he'd got a wodge from the Saudi wealth fund (presumably buying direct access to use it for tracking down protesters)?

unless they give him like $130b he'll never break even it's not even possible lmao

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

goatface posted:

5% of new twitter (which I believe is just the same they had before rolled over?)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so they just didn't make him buy their shares? Slightly less dodgy, but still problematic.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think Elon Is actually trying to personally irritate Jack Dorsey enough that he buys it back from him

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dacap posted:

I think Elon Is actually trying to personally irritate Jack Dorsey enough that he buys it back from him

lmao nobody is ever going to buy twitter from elon until it's completely devalued and he accepts it

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1589520365713502209

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

lmao nobody is ever going to buy twitter from elon until it's completely devalued and he accepts it
I'd buy it for the full $44 it's worth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

so april, tops?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's not as fast as Gerald Ratner's (10 seconds) destruction of his own company, but the twitter losses will be far far bigger.

https://thehustle.co/how-to-lose-1b-in-10-seconds/amp/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Why the gently caress did E-Groin buy Twiiter for 44 billion anyway?

Was he trying to show off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
so jack still has shares in twitter right?

how funny would it be if, once musk got bored of running the website into the ground, he tossed the garbage fire back into jack's hands & hosed off to a yaht so he could neglect his duties (and kids) in peace.