Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any way to tell FAPI to filter gear by color? Like right now most of my drops are yellow but only orange and light blue might be upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there any way to tell FAPI to filter gear by color? Like right now most of my drops are yellow but only orange and light blue might be upgrades.

Not really. The only way to do anything remotely resembling that that is picking up the "guaranteed minimum bonuses increase" perks from the reincarnation shop, and those are likited in number.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Len posted:

Ffff that's so far away

iirc by the time it makes sense to get a pink sigil you get 20 just from petting so you should get it first pink reset

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Small, yet crucial Idlemancery update:

quote:

Updated UI for creature jobs selectors
Added ability to revert banners convesion
Added 2 new researches
Added new building
Fixed bugs when some buildings had no effect
Added notification settings
Very helpful for accidentally converting banners, or just checking if a tier conversion would be an improvement without having to save/reload each time.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
in FAPI i now have all the soul upgrades on the gear page and can start buying the 25% upgrades on the first page.
Which order should i prioritize these in?

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
The FAPI upgrade has put the ascension milk buff up to 3 points from 2. I just jumped into A4 and was disappointed I didn't have a spare point after the milk and worm timer upgrades.

It has also made worlds 4 and 5 easier, so it probably evens out.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In FAPI when do you all like to do the infinite challenges for each class? The ones that award a bit more multiplier to things for each stage cleared?

I'm only in ascenion 1, and the first time around I think I was able to push each challenge to 2-4 as soon as I unlocked them, giving a 60% bonus to things. I didn't bother redoing them by the time I ascended.

I just started doing them as soon as unlocking them the second time around and I'm wondering if I should redo them later as well this time around.

I could also just delay doing them for a few days and push to 2-6 or something instead for a bigger bonus and still only running them once.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 4, 2022

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
That's been my approach too, they're way too tedious to do more than once. I got 45% in A0 and 75% in A1, will probably procrastinate as long as possible in A2 for the reason you said. Fortunately in A3 they become automated.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

What you start a run with them then after like an hour you abandon the challenge and take that as your progress and finish it up as a normal run. That's what I did before quitting at A2. I never felt behind in the class challenges and didn't feel like that hour was really taking much from my main run either since they bottleneck after a few hours and if I'm going to be sleeping it doesn't matter if it's idle 8 hour or 12 hours.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

pixaal posted:

What you start a run with them then after like an hour you abandon the challenge and take that as your progress and finish it up as a normal run. That's what I did before quitting at A2. I never felt behind in the class challenges and didn't feel like that hour was really taking much from my main run either since they bottleneck after a few hours and if I'm going to be sleeping it doesn't matter if it's idle 8 hour or 12 hours.

This was my approach as well, except I never bothered to wait before making it a normal run. Just got as far as I could while skipping from -50, maybe wait just a bit if I'd get to like -20 of the level to get that done and exit the challenge. Takes like 15 minutes like it normally would, and you either get bonuses or not while not giving up on RL farming. All in all they're nice to have, but there's no reason to sacrifice too much time for 5% more potatoes.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Edly posted:

That's been my approach too, they're way too tedious to do more than once. I got 45% in A0 and 75% in A1, will probably procrastinate as long as possible in A2 for the reason you said. Fortunately in A3 they become automated.

It's maybe the worst designed part of the game because even just +1 to all paths gives more of a progression boost than any of the ascension perks a0-a2. So you either have to cycle through them daily all through a0-a2 or just progress extremely slowly.

Sayara posted:

All in all they're nice to have, but there's no reason to sacrifice too much time for 5% more potatoes.

You are misunderstanding what they do, it's not 5% more potatoes, it's 'get +5% from everything you buy with potatoes without increasing the costs.' So 5% atk/hp/class xp/skulls/reincarnation xp while bypassing the potato diminishing returns. You can skip smasher/hoer without much loss but the other 4 are extremely strong.

My good paths were at 3-1 at the end of A1, so in comparison to Agent355's 2-4 paths:
1.56x direct reinc xp just from the one potato/skull upgrade, ignoring all the other upgrades.
2.25x item rating (~1.3x direct reinc xp multiplier)
1.8x residue income (reduces reinc xp required and directly increases reinc xp gained)

I'd roughly estimate that the end of A1 is at least 3 times faster with with 10 paths vs. 4, that's how strong they are.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Dang I guess I'm bad at this game, you convinced me to go back and through and redo mine since I'm near the end of A1. Thanks for the info!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I hadn't considered simply doing them as the beginning of any given run. if I do 1 reincarnation a day or w/e I can just spend the first 4 hours in the challenge before leaving the challenge to push zones or w/e. It' snot a big opportunity cost on pushing zones later and it'l update the challenge a bit each time.

ALso shout out to the dev for including pity drop rates. I love that it shows some insanely small chance of getting a pet but I also get a hard cap number of kills that will give me a pity drop. I know I may get it at anytime but I can also just watch that progress tick up and know for sure I'll get it within x hours or w/e. I love that.

E: Also to be clear 2-4 was on A0 not A1.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I will say the auto path completion you get on Ascension 3 drastically improved my opinion of the game. They were very tedious to keep improving on the first runs through over and over as you gained power.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sometimes it does feel like idle games are just scraping hard grit sandpaper across your face and then the dev hands you fine grit sandpaper after you've been doing it long enough and you go 'oh this is much better, such QoL upgrades! I love it now!'

Whats wrong with all of us.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the beatings will continue until the numbers go up

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Waiting for reincarnation levels in FAPI loving sucks.

There's no way in hell that progression makes any sense. I'm 15 days into this current one and based on needing another 500 levels I'm still several days away from my goal.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Agent355 posted:

Sometimes it does feel like idle games are just scraping hard grit sandpaper across your face and then the dev hands you fine grit sandpaper after you've been doing it long enough and you go 'oh this is much better, such QoL upgrades! I love it now!'

Whats wrong with all of us.

I always forget just how long some of the games are that folks here play. I like idle games but they have to be pretty active and not too long. I just finished FE000000 and enjoyed it, but it was much longer than I prefer in the genre— great was my surprise when I looked it up afterwards and found out it was far shorter and more packed in content than any similar game!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kvlt! posted:

Idle Games: the beatings will continue until the numbers go up

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

nrook posted:

I always forget just how long some of the games are that folks here play. I like idle games but they have to be pretty active and not too long. I just finished FE000000 and enjoyed it, but it was much longer than I prefer in the genre— great was my surprise when I looked it up afterwards and found out it was far shorter and more packed in content than any similar game!

Trimps has been running on my computer for like 2 years or something and I"m still not at the most recent content. (I love trimps)

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

There's no way in hell that progression makes any sense. I'm 15 days into this current one and based on needing another 500 levels I'm still several days away from my goal.

For what it's worth, here are mine:

But yes, it slows down a lot. I think that's intentional so people are still running current content when next content patch drops. I'm now at ~9500/10870, and it's probably going to take me 10 days or more to get through the remaining levels. At least now I can try to get pets at 1/5000000 chance instead of just waiting. :shepicide:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also ascensions in fapi doesn't feel like the same style of reset mechanic as other games. It would be weird if it just sped up forever. I'd expect them to take longer each time and be framed as major milestones.

However then you'd want other new mechanics to be opening up aside from the ascensions so it does feel like you're just doing the same thing for 2 weeks to reach another arbitrary mark and do the smae thing for 3 weeks.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I think dev said that the next feature is aimed at A4ish people, unless I'm mistaken? The game is supposed to have supporting features kick in at various A levels which are simply not there yet.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

I think dev said that the next feature is aimed at A4ish

I read something to that effect as well

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dodecadragon: I like tying a bunch of mechanics into the achievements, it made Sigil resets MUCH more bearable and not like I just ran crotch-first into a brick wall at Mach 1.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Agent355 posted:

Also ascensions in fapi doesn't feel like the same style of reset mechanic as other games. It would be weird if it just sped up forever. I'd expect them to take longer each time and be framed as major milestones.

However then you'd want other new mechanics to be opening up aside from the ascensions so it does feel like you're just doing the same thing for 2 weeks to reach another arbitrary mark and do the smae thing for 3 weeks.

They feel like Realm Grinder resets

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

Bedurndurn posted:

You're basically at the point (a4) where the game goes from 'progress is ok if you just do whatever' to 'you must optimize to progress at faster than glacial speed.' We can help you figure out what's missing if you want (an optimized A4 strategy is about 2x faster).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

cyrn posted:

You're basically at the point (a4) where the game goes from 'progress is ok if you just do whatever' to 'you must optimize to progress at faster than glacial speed.' We can help you figure out what's missing if you want (an optimized A4 strategy is about 2x faster).

Sure. This is what I'm mostly running as the freeloader class

I didn't know about the residue stuff when I started this life, so I've got the potato and skull take away ascension perks. The last patch refunded a point for skull take away so I grabbed the faster worm breeding one.

That's my gear.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

Bedurndurn posted:

Sure. This is what I'm mostly running as the freeloader class

For the talent tree, cut anything that's not directly pathing to a residue or reincarnation node. You can probably change that into 11 reincarnation and 6 residue nodes. If you have extra points but can't get another residue/reinc, normal class xp/skull nodes or a larva wheel are the best options.

In your earlier screenshot you were missing a bunch of 200/200 medium zone clears, so if you aren't clearing all those every time that's 10-15% extra multiplier from what you posted.

You basically have to reincarnate twice a day because runs over 12h are mostly wasted. Even if you just push the button and leave everything on autobuy/autoprogress twice a day you'll be way better than the best possible 24h runs.

It may be too late to change things, but high rarity items are another trap in the game due to losing so many materials converting to higher tiers. A mixed set of 3/2/1 starting with minimum rarity (like 3 red, 2 silver, 1 green) from the highest 4-x medium zone with the criteria 'highest reincarnation roll possible, and decent coverage on milk/class xp/skulls' will be a lot stronger because the extra stats you get from higher rarity are much worse than getting higher enhance levels to increase reinc xp.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So what exactly goes into reincarnation levels then? Do I get bonus points for pushing zones, or doing zones on higher difficulties? the breakdown of where the modifiers are coming from isn't very clear.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Clearing zones to medium 200 gives additional reinc xp? I have just gone as high as i can on easy for about a day in each reinc. Once i stall on progress i should go back to 1-1 and medium difficulty?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ineptitude posted:

Clearing zones to medium 200 gives additional reinc xp? I have just gone as high as i can on easy for about a day in each reinc. Once i stall on progress i should go back to 1-1 and medium difficulty?

Just do medium because it counts as clearing easy

Also you get more worms

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Does it show that as being tracked anywhere? I feel like there is nothing to indicate that I actually get a bonus for clearing the final wave of an area.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

"Waves spawned" on the reincarnation screen is the total of all your highest wave cleared for every area, which is why people recommend going to medium 200 on every level.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Agent355 posted:

So what exactly goes into reincarnation levels then? Do I get bonus points for pushing zones, or doing zones on higher difficulties? the breakdown of where the modifiers are coming from isn't very clear.

I am not at my computer, but if my memory serves, it is made up of the following:

Farmer level
Total number of levels cleared
Time this reincarnation
Bonus multiplier

You can see all that info in the reincarnation page. The total number of levels cleared is the total of highest rank per stage cleared. So when you get to 101+ on medium, it no longer matters how high you got on easy.

Also, the multiplier for time is not linear. It stays at 0x until 20 or 25 minutes, then it starts ramping up to 1.0x at like 50ish minutes. This multiplier is one of the reasons why just going for super long reincarnations is not the best strategy.

Agent355 posted:

Does it show that as being tracked anywhere? I feel like there is nothing to indicate that I actually get a bonus for clearing the final wave of an area.

Check the reincarnation page. It has a running total next to stages cleared. If you want, next reincarnation, clear a bunch of stages on easy. The go back and start clearing on medium. Once the you get to medium stages 101, you will start seeing that counter increment up.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

Orvin posted:

Also, the multiplier for time is not linear. It stays at 0x until 20 or 25 minutes, then it starts ramping up to 1.0x at like 50ish minutes. This multiplier is one of the reasons why just going for super long reincarnations is not the best strategy.

Time Bonus is linear Increases of the same amount from 15 minutes to 2h, 2h to 6h, 6h to 12h, and 12h to 48h.

So a 12h run has 3x the multiplier of a 2h run, but 48h only has 4x the multiplier of a 2h run.

You hit the softcap on confection multiplier a bit before 12h and then transition to the awful 12h-48h time bonus scaling. The combination of the two really kills any runs that go beyond 12h. From 2h to 12h stays generally within 10% of whatever the 'best' point is (but keep in mind early in ascensions short runs are much better because you need to reincarnate to activate the increased passive bonuses gained from higher RL.)

cyrn fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 6, 2022

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

So TOTAL waves cleared is actually UNIQUE waves cleared?

FAPI really is opaque.

I took my easy (stalled at 4-5-30) run to 1-1 medium and shot up from 115 to 180 reincarnation levels in like 30 minutes. Im about to hit ascension 2 but could probably have been in asc3 by now if i had done runs on medium :doh:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It's not a good game. It manages to be more boring than even a lot of the other "boring," games this thread talks about.

The systems are clear, and if you want to respec any of them you're locked into a reincarnation that will take hours. Sure, if you made a mistake, you could do it again. However, you don't know you've made any mistake and have not made any significant choice, also, until hours in.

And before anyone dings me, no, it's not a real milk respec if your character isn't the one character that gets a lot more milk, same with worms, same with every other system. There is a specific character to interact with each system, and every time you don't do that, you are restricting your progress.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Love how the new pet system in fapi has combos, so certain pets provide extra bonuses. It tells you about this only in the information panel except for when a big 'COMBO FOUND" UI element pops up if you accidentally make one.

Oh and then it's impossible to find out what the combo was or what it actually does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Agent355 posted:

Love how the new pet system in fapi has combos, so certain pets provide extra bonuses. It tells you about this only in the information panel except for when a big 'COMBO FOUND" UI element pops up if you accidentally make one.

Oh and then it's impossible to find out what the combo was or what it actually does?

If you tap around in the pet screen it'll show your current bonuses, incl. the combo one. I think it's one of the loadout buttons? You might need to have set a loadout.

In related news, I just recently learned there's a way to change farmer cosmetics by clicking in the equipment screen.