Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mila kunis posted:

i was driving through indiana and experienced this once. long car line up in the drive through, i just parked and went in to get some coffee. done in 2 minutes. just cannot fathom why no one else was doing this

Leave your car? Become a *spits* pedestrian??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

in VT we love to roast Connecticut for being a state of a bunch of lovely highways... of course we're quickly heading towards the same fate ourselves

You're correct, Connecticut literally is nothing but a series of highways. You need to take highways to get anywhere, and the highways are clogged because there aren't any tolls, and there aren't any tolls because Connecticut people are scared of tollbooths (there was a crash at one in 1983 and they instantly tore every tollbooth down)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Of course Connecticut is a bunch of highways. It's New York's suburb and how are they gonna get to work with no highways?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol at the hazard lights and that last car sneaking in after the bus just before the video ends. Never change, Ust-kut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOkv1VQsOM

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BonHair posted:

Cool, that's how a lot of Danish ghettos got their start! The idea is good, but it's harder to avoid parallel societies. Especially if you put all your low income groups in the new development

but people want to live in those places? Like you just have to not deliberately use the full force of government to segregate or else they pretty naturally fill up with a mix of people and become really nice communities

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Antonymous posted:

yah minneapolis tore them up and took a photo of the city transit treasurer handing a Ford exec a check in front of the last one burning

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

actionjackson posted:

you're talking about the one on Snelling and Marshall right?

None other! They tried to repeat history at RanHam. They wanted to put it where the gas station is.

The number of people who were excited for coffee that they could get a mile or two is any other direction was wild.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Leave your car? Become a *spits* pedestrian??

Somewhere in USA, there's a guy who literally hasn't left his car in a year out of fear of becoming a pedestrian. Poop buckets and drivethroughs forever.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
rip to a real one you faithfully performed your duty until being struck down in your teens by a rampaging car

may you come back as a bollard

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm renting a car and driving today (to a train station). There's a local train I could take instead, but it's so infrequent and has such bad reliability that I don't want to risk missing the long distance train I'm catching at the other end. The local one is only a couple of euros, but it doesn't matter as it is basically unusable for anything other than a casual shopping trip. Sucks rear end!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

distortion park posted:

I'm renting a car and driving today (to a train station). There's a local train I could take instead, but it's so infrequent and has such bad reliability that I don't want to risk missing the long distance train I'm catching at the other end. The local one is only a couple of euros, but it doesn't matter as it is basically unusable for anything other than a casual shopping trip. Sucks rear end!

What country/area?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

What country/area?

This is in France - I tried checking the stats but SNCF only releases TER punctuality stats at the regional level (90.8% last month for me). Our tiny branch line doesn't get broken down but I think it must be several pct of that despite only running a few trains a day.

Not as embarrassing as when I lived on what is now the LNER lines running into London and it had like 60% on time stats on a mainline.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sounds like classic starve the beast: underfund a public service so bad that it doesn't work, then privatise or close it because it doesn't work

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BonHair posted:

Sounds like classic starve the beast: underfund a public service so bad that it doesn't work, then privatise or close it because it doesn't work

In England what is now LNER used to be a privatised company but it was so bad that I think TFL took it over. The trains are better now! Tories have renationalised a bunch of trains, turns out they don't have the guts to let the private sector run fully into the ground because loads of their voters use them to get into London

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

None other! They tried to repeat history at RanHam. They wanted to put it where the gas station is.

The number of people who were excited for coffee that they could get a mile or two is any other direction was wild.

*checks map* randolph and hamline, where CDH is? i stopped at that gas station once. that would be hilarious to have a carbucks there

too bad st paul didn't ban drive thrus like minneapolis :)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

actionjackson posted:

*checks map* randolph and hamline, where CDH is? i stopped at that gas station once. that would be hilarious to have a carbucks there

too bad st paul didn't ban drive thrus like minneapolis :)

They ended up slapping it in Sibley Plaza off of W 7th, and it snarls up that lot. Yeah, we should stop new drive through.

Chik-Fil-A in Roseville is another one that looks wild a lot.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

these loving replies please end my life
https://twitter.com/natalia_barbour/status/1588352869279076352

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this the worst it's ever been for pedestrians in America fatality wise? I've looked up some info and it says it's a 40 year high but I don't know if that takes into account per capita stuff by year either.

Helps that cars are bigger these days, with less visibility, and now engines are more efficient and can produce more power in less space so cars that are bigger than 70s monster trucks can accelerate much faster than lighter cars used to. F=ma won't ever fail you.

And now with the electric pickup and SUV going to be mainstreamed this is going to be even worse since they can accelerate even faster.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Helps that cars are bigger these days, with less visibility, and now engines are more efficient and can produce more power in less space so cars that are bigger than 70s monster trucks can accelerate much faster than lighter cars used to. F=ma won't ever fail you.

And now with the electric pickup and SUV going to be mainstreamed this is going to be even worse since they can accelerate even faster.

This in addition to the general comfort of the occupants. In a modern comfort class SUV you're almost completely insulated from the outside world. Going 95mph feels like nothing. Makes you feel safer than you are, and god drat anyone on the other side.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

a_pineapple posted:

and god drat anyone on the other side.

Actually it's the driver who's damning people on the outside

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Doing an MRI-Simmons consumer survey right now and really letting them have it on the car questions (establishing myself as an irrelevant outlier)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

They ended up slapping it in Sibley Plaza off of W 7th, and it snarls up that lot. Yeah, we should stop new drive through.

Chik-Fil-A in Roseville is another one that looks wild a lot.

my parents live just north of that

more like oldsville

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cars give us good things like this
https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1589689500594077696

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dizzy and disoriented man climbs back in behind the wheel.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
I'm glad that guy got his rear end kicked. By a PT Cruiser driver no less.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

saints row 2 npcs

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
The guy driving that truck almost hit a tree seconds in lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

now thats a pt cruiser bruiser

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

letthemfight.gif

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's a much higher chance that would have ended in a gun fight in another state

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's a much higher chance that would have ended in a gun fight in another state

I was just thinking this, but my state is so red that I get to play “spot the poorly-concealed pistol” whenever I go out.

Guess it cuts down on fistfights if you want to silver lining as hard as possible.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a_pineapple posted:

This in addition to the general comfort of the occupants. In a modern comfort class SUV you're almost completely insulated from the outside world. Going 95mph feels like nothing. Makes you feel safer than you are, and god drat anyone on the other side.

my lovely car rattles like a coffee can full of loose change and legitimately feels like it's gonna explode at any moment whenever I go above 80 and that's how it should be for everyone imo*

*jk, no one should have a car at all

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

God Hole posted:

my lovely car rattles like a coffee can full of loose change and legitimately feels like it's gonna explode at any moment whenever I go above 80 and that's how it should be for everyone imo*

*jk, no one should have a car at all

Well if people are gonna drive it should be as unpleasant as possible. Make it a decision worth taking.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

distortion park posted:

In England what is now LNER used to be a privatised company but it was so bad that I think TFL took it over. The trains are better now! Tories have renationalised a bunch of trains, turns out they don't have the guts to let the private sector run fully into the ground because loads of their voters use them to get into London

LNER is run by the 'operator of last resort' since Virgin East Coast hosed things up in 2018. They are essentially a collection of consultants and managers hired by the government who take over the senior management from failed train franchises while retaining drivers, crew, etc. This is actually the second time the East Coast line has been run by a government operator since privatisation; the first time was after National Express made a hash of it in 2009. It's still not proper nationalisation as the idea of the OLR was to keep things running until the franchise could be handed over to a successful private sector bidder, but after the Virgin East Coast debacle it doesn't look like anyone else will be taking a stab at it.

The OLR also runs Northern and Southeastern, and will almost certainly take over the West Coast before too long. And similarly in both Scotland and Wales, rail services have been taken over by the devolved governments from the failed private sector operators. In conclusion, gently caress you John Major

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

SimonSays posted:

Well if people are gonna drive it should be as unpleasant as possible. Make it a decision worth taking.

There's a YouTube channel that does test drives of old lovely cars from communist Russia and everyone should have to drive pieces of poo poo like that imho

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bull bars are stpuid and they also make the car more dangerous to everyone, even to the car theyre attacehd to because they gently caress up crumple zones and air bag deployment sensors

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a YouTube channel that does test drives of old lovely cars from communist Russia and everyone should have to drive pieces of poo poo like that imho

I know more than a few slavs who've had a Lada in their family for generations, driven daily on some of the worst roads in the world and held together entirely with "tape and paper clips"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

God Hole posted:

I know more than a few slavs who've had a Lada in their family for generations, driven daily on some of the worst roads in the world and held together entirely with "tape and paper clips"

I learned to drive on a 2109 without a speedometer, airbags, or seat belts, and I turned out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
My knee was bandaged up, so I didn't want to ride my bike to the grocery store yesterday. I drove my car instead. What a miserable experience. Even in the paved over car hell city, cars travel slower than bikes in traffic. The grocery store also has a ton of traffic all around it because everyone is shopping for groceries at this time, so it's a complete traffic jam into the parking lot. What the gently caress is wrong with people? Why would you want this? It's miserable. Normally I can ride my bicycle leisurely past traffic, past the traffic jam of parking, lock my bike at the store entrance. Maybe I'll see one other bike at the bike rack.

Next time I'll ride my bike and let my knee bleed everywhere.