Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I love that spinners big moment is becoming even less of a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kanos posted:

I can understand why someone would have expected Aoyama to matter given that he got a few focus points, but Koda????

At this point, the mangaka is giving spotlights to all students in Class A regardless if they have been properly setup or not.

Nonetheless, looks like the spotlight will now shift from Koji to Kurogiri.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Valentin posted:

also when he used the pig dude for the reaction shot of the hospital doctors i was like oh did this guy show up earlier in the chapter and i wasn't paying attention? is he like our mob POV character? and the answer is no but inexplicably there are a lot of uniquely-designed pig/warthog type dudes in this chapter. the reaction shots to both shoji and spinner's speeches feature two other visually distinct pig-based heteromorphs for some reason.

I understand the confusion, but those are cops.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Valentin posted:

i get what hori's going for with the paneling (i think) but lmao that we're being formally experimental and getting into spinner's POV so that we don't have to spend any time on the actual action of the mob stopping and dispersing. like i'm sure we'll go back to it later for cleanup and it'll be like oh shoji stopped the cop from firing/took the bullet and spinner killed some doctors or something, but with the intentionally vague closing pages and the sudden swerve it has a vibe of "okay yeah enough mutant racism or whatever time for what the people really want: present mic & spinner 1v1

Pretty sure the cop that fired his gun was aiming at Spinner since that same page we see him getting crushed while Spinner is busting through the front door.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was thinking for a while that the big lady was maybe modeled after a deer as some goofy shot at an English/Japanese pun- "ordinary woman"/"Jane Doe" but then she turned out to be blue?? Also she has prominent canines.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope every character reveals that they had an offscreen conversation with big lady that radically defines their giant character moment they're getting in a single chapter.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Pretty sure the cop that fired his gun was aiming at Spinner since that same page we see him getting crushed while Spinner is busting through the front door.

we see A cop getting crushed, with neither the distinguishing facial features of the cop with the gun (who looks like a primate mutant of some kind?) nor a gun in his hand. it's both an easy and probable read of it and also not unambiguous enough to be certain

e: on a reread this morning I do think it's supposed to be "the cop shoots at spinner and gets immediately crushed, the mob just sort of spontaneously stops out of embarrassment when they see the doctors and nurses" which is maybe the funniest way you could have resolved the entire sequence, props to Hori

Valentin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 7, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

No one could bring themselves to hurting Dr. Yoshi.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’d better hope that no one nearby needs to cross a large gap

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Valentin posted:

we see A cop getting crushed, with neither the distinguishing facial features of the cop with the gun (who looks like a primate mutant of some kind?) nor a gun in his hand. it's both an easy and probable read of it and also not unambiguous enough to be certain

e: on a reread this morning I do think it's supposed to be "the cop shoots at spinner and gets immediately crushed, the mob just sort of spontaneously stops out of embarrassment when they see the doctors and nurses" which is maybe the funniest way you could have resolved the entire sequence, props to Hori

i "like" that all these heteromorphs have come outta the woodwork to stop the no good very bad heteromorphs from stopping racism the wrong way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Brandfarlig posted:

I love that spinners big moment is becoming even less of a character.

Oxxidation posted:

i don't particularly like that at all!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Is sarcasm healthy?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Is sarcasm healthy?

oh yeah, it’s the best

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah, it’s the best

I actually felt that anger.

Hey Oxxidation, as long as I have you here, what characters aside from Bakugo do you feel are more than action figures?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 7, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

At some point you have to start appreciating Horis ability to gently caress up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rhonne posted:

No one could bring themselves to hurting Dr. Yoshi.

This comic's been about silly, reference-heavy superhero designs since day one, but there really is something about this message about discrimination being delivered with a totally-played-straight drawing of a silent, world-weary cartoon dinosaur.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Valentin posted:

Yeah, looking at it you can see first the gun, then a shot of inside the hospital doors with bang sound effects, followed by Spinner crashing through the door and splatting a cop. Seems like he's dead.

And then pages 11 and 12 we see the pig guy (who I'm guessing is supposed to be the audiences gauge for the mob's disposition) register the doctors, remember Shoji's speech and a doctor helping someone and we see the crowd stop moving and someone dropping their weapon. Presumably, as they watch Spinner massacre a bunch of unarmed, innocent doctors and realise how hosed up this all is.

Also it's interesting that Shoji thinks about Aoyama when giving his speech.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 7, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

i "like" that all these heteromorphs have come outta the woodwork to stop the no good very bad heteromorphs from stopping racism the wrong way.

Hori has probably read a lot of X-Men comics where the good mutants fight to stop the evil mutants from killing the humans that hate and fear them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the main difference in x-men's case is that the entire cast is mutants so you theoretically get a lot of perspectives on both sides of the issue with characters explored in-depth

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm pretty sure that they tell the same story in X-Men since y'know, almost everyone in MHA has mutant-like powers too and it isn't like anyone's going to know at a glance if Scott Summers or Kitty Pryde are mutants like they'd be able with Nightcrawler

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori specifically emphasizes that the anti-mutie sentiment is because of how they look and not what they can do, which seems silly but well the non-mutant humans can have dangerous quirks too.

The X-men always had the problem where it fails as an allegory for racism because the mutants can be in fact, insanely loving dangerous to everyone. It's a decent, emotional story but there's one where a kid manifests a power that instagibs everyone around him for miles and kills basically an entire city on accident, and Wolverine gets sent to kill him and cover it up because it might cause anti-mutant sentiment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember that. It was Ultimate X-Men, if I'm not mistaken.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The current X-Men status quo in comics right now is "drat right you normal humans should fear us mutants, WE'RE GOING TO RULE YOU EVENTUALLY" funnily enough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm pretty sure that they tell the same story in X-Men since y'know, almost everyone in MHA has mutant-like powers too and it isn't like anyone's going to know at a glance if Scott Summers or Kitty Pryde are mutants like they'd be able with Nightcrawler

what if your mutant power is to know at a glance if scott summers or kitty pryde are mutants

what then

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Manatee Cannon posted:

what if your mutant power is to know at a glance if scott summers or kitty pryde are mutants

what then
That person is Charles Xavier and he's a good guy tho

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Tampa Bae posted:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Hori specifically emphasizes that the anti-mutie sentiment is because of how they look and not what they can do, which seems silly but well the non-mutant humans can have dangerous quirks too.

The X-men always had the problem where it fails as an allegory for racism because the mutants can be in fact, insanely loving dangerous to everyone. It's a decent, emotional story but there's one where a kid manifests a power that instagibs everyone around him for miles and kills basically an entire city on accident, and Wolverine gets sent to kill him and cover it up because it might cause anti-mutant sentiment.

Well, the setting's history is that there was a lot of x-men style conflict when quirks first started appearing. You could probably make a prequel spin-off pretty easily. If anything MHA is just X-Men 100 years into the future. I'd say that's actually more true to how stupid and arbitrary real racism is. MHA racism isn't about having a quirk or not, its just about looking different.

Theres actually a MHA one-shot chapter where Deku, Bakugo and Uraraka intern with Mirko that is basically a homage to that comic. A kid's quirk is to shoot poisonous gas out and he can only contain it for so long so keeps randomly gassing crowds of people. Luckily they don't have to knife him like Wolverine, Uraraka and Bakugo toss him into the sky to safely release it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 8, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Hey kid, you ever think about just going to a loving field?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Villain Name - Silent But Deadly

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tampa Bae posted:

He secretly has people buried alive so that he can claim his sexy new country has no prisons.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Caidin posted:

He secretly has people buried alive so that he can claim his sexy new country has no prisons.

In fairness he did that to Sabretooth and if anyone deserves to be buried alive forever it's him.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

In fairness he did that to Sabretooth and if anyone deserves to be buried alive forever it's him.

He also did to several other people! One of them's only apparent crime was telling people that having babies and leaving them in the foliage for someone else to figure out is really really hosed up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The new Xmen poo poo sucks rear end. The last time it was even interesting was the Jean Grey School arc. Featuring Wolverine forcing Spider-Man to be a guest lecturer for the extra weirdo X kids.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The new Xmen poo poo sucks rear end. The last time it was even interesting was the Jean Grey School arc. Featuring Wolverine forcing Spider-Man to be a guest lecturer for the extra weirdo X kids.

I haven't read Marvel comics in a long time but this Krakoa nation-state stuff reminds me a lot of Messiah Complex, when Cable made a utopia

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The new Xmen poo poo sucks rear end.
The core X of X series from 2019 really did redefine the Mutant population and created a unifying Mutant Culture that is both horny and hedonistic and proud as all gently caress.

Maybe the stuff that followed hasn't been as good, but it was a really good retooling of the line.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I haven't read Marvel comics in a long time but this Krakoa nation-state stuff reminds me a lot of Messiah Complex, when Cable made a utopia

Or when scott did the same thing a few years ago.

Or when magneto did the same thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FilthyImp posted:

The core X of X series from 2019 really did redefine the Mutant population and created a unifying Mutant Culture that is both horny and hedonistic and proud as all gently caress.

Maybe the stuff that followed hasn't been as good, but it was a really good retooling of the line.

When Hickman left all subsequent writers basically ignored all his "this is going to result in a really hosed up country" warning signs and seemingly went all-in on "yes the progressively-sociopathic ethnostate run by Apocalypse, Magneto, and Mister loving Sinister is cool and good".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know what any of you people are talking about, but I just want to chime in that X-Men derail is a welcome change from Naruto or One Piece derail.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would welcome panel shots of these X-Men events people are talking about if anyone feels like sharing them as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

When Hickman left all subsequent writers basically ignored all his "this is going to result in a really hosed up country" warning signs and seemingly went all-in on "yes the progressively-sociopathic ethnostate run by Apocalypse, Magneto, and Mister loving Sinister is cool and good".

Yeah, one of Hickman's favorite plots is "Great Men decide that They Can Fix The World, achieve amazing things, and then are either destroyed by their hubris or barely realize their errors in time, backing away from the edge at the last second as they watch others go flying to their dooms."

The current run on X-Men is basically Marvel getting Hickman to start another plot in that style, then deciding they were liking the "achieve amazing things" part and stopping there after asking Hickman if they could just draw it out for a bit, if I understand correctly.