Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Guze posted:

Free Speech means you have to buy twitter ads

and forcibly donate to republican politicians, if the stated agenda of a red house of reps happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1589381420212195329

good thing there won't be any more elections after this one so it won't be an issue going forwards

"Delaying" means "there's no way such a major change to such a huge platform can be properly done in such short timescales (because the boss is a cretin)".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Durzel posted:

At this point nothing the court in Delaware would have realistically imposed on him could be as bad as what has happened. Even if Musk had done absolutely nothing at all since buying it he would've still vastly overpaid - probably by 3x - for the company.

I can't imagine the court would have forced him to complete since it was evident - at least for a time - that they were unhappy bedfellows. What seems more likely is that he would've had a punitive fine of several billion dollars. More than the $1b break clause, but less (a lot less) than the purchase price. A low double figures billion fine seemed most likely.

That would have sucked for Musk, paying that sort of money having nothing to show for it, but at the same time you would've thought as a ~shrewd businessman~ that paying 3x the valuation of a consistently loss making company that hasn't come up with a strategy for effectively monetising its userbase in 16 years was much, much worse - yet here we are.

This is history in the making - hubris, schadenfreude, comedy, portent - rolled into one. We're seeing a modern day Emperor's New Clothes parable playing out in real time, in real life.

I'm curious as to how Tesla stock will fare in all of this. The stock price of that is predicated on the continued belief that Musk has a Midas touch. He's always been a complete bullshitter with timelines for autonomous driving, etc but the general public - who are mystified by the technology - have generally continued to fall for this crap, but it's hard to see how that will continue with Twitter - which they can understand - playing out the way it is. That's before you even consider the financial ramifications if he needs to sell more stock to shore Twitter up.

No, the court was absolutely going to enforce the contract. He told Twitter's shareholders he was going to give them 3x what their shares were worth, and make them immune to any future fluctuations in Twitter's value because they no longer own the shares. It was literally tens of billions of dollars in free money with no strings attached. No way they're staying on the hook for Twitter's future value and letting him walk away when they have that option on the table.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Endorph posted:

i realize it is one but when i think of 'activist groups' i dont think of something as ingrained as the naacp, mostly because

And yet, Musk may be deep enough in a manic episode to try it

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Side question, how the hell did SpaceX manage to get Musk to let the engineers actually do their work without him interfering?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Durzel posted:

At this point nothing the court in Delaware would have realistically imposed on him could be as bad as what has happened. Even if Musk had done absolutely nothing at all since buying it he would've still vastly overpaid - probably by 3x - for the company.

I can't imagine the court would have forced him to complete since it was evident - at least for a time - that they were unhappy bedfellows. What seems more likely is that he would've had a punitive fine of several billion dollars. More than the $1b break clause, but less (a lot less) than the purchase price. A low double figures billion fine seemed most likely.

That would have sucked for Musk, paying that sort of money having nothing to show for it, but at the same time you would've thought as a ~shrewd businessman~ that paying 3x the valuation of a consistently loss making company that hasn't come up with a strategy for effectively monetising its userbase in 16 years was much, much worse - yet here we are.

This is history in the making - hubris, schadenfreude, comedy, portent - rolled into one. We're seeing a modern day Emperor's New Clothes parable playing out in real time, in real life.

I'm curious as to how Tesla stock will fare in all of this. The stock price of that is predicated on the continued belief that Musk has a Midas touch. He's always been a complete bullshitter with timelines for autonomous driving, etc but the general public - who are mystified by the technology - have generally continued to fall for this crap, but it's hard to see how that will continue with Twitter - which they can understand - playing out the way it is. That's before you even consider the financial ramifications if he needs to sell more stock to shore Twitter up.

The court couldn’t impose any kind of fine or punitive penalty. The contract was written such that if it did not go through the only amount of damages Twitter could collect was 1 billion. So the court had 2 options for ruling: Musk pays 1 billion, or specific performance is ordered, where Musk would be compelled to purchase Twitter. Third option being settlement out of court.

Of course everyone realized that specific performance was pretty likely, so he just went ahead with it to save some face.

I don’t think he can sell more stock as such since twitter stock doesn’t exist any more (it’s bought out), but he could try to make an IPO I think. But I know gently caress all about finance.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Kammat posted:

Side question, how the hell did SpaceX manage to get Musk to let the engineers actually do their work without him interfering?

by letting him "work" on (blow up) starship a bunch while they did their real work

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeIsaa...00%2Fframe.html

Remember this? I know we have had a busy week, lot to keep track of

It would be fascinating to see the train wreck of musk suing them

Honestly, I didn't. I mean, I don't blame them but it was totally unnecessary with how Musk keeps shooting Twitter over and and over again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eeyo posted:

The court couldn’t impose any kind of fine or punitive penalty. The contract was written such that if it did not go through the only amount of damages Twitter could collect was 1 billion. So the court had 2 options for ruling: Musk pays 1 billion, or specific performance is ordered, where Musk would be compelled to purchase Twitter. Third option being settlement out of court.

Of course everyone realized that specific performance was pretty likely, so he just went ahead with it to save some face.

I don’t think he can sell more stock as such since twitter stock doesn’t exist any more (it’s bought out), but he could try to make an IPO I think. But I know gently caress all about finance.

Oh man, imagine Musk trying to take Twitter's stock public again after the last few days :allears:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1588975411618144256

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Lol as his co-podcast host mentions in the replies, Griffin has a Disney movie he’s in (he voices the sidekick in Disenchanted) that he needs to promote in a couple weeks! Whoops!!

I mean his podcast is good but I would NEVER employ Griffin Newman for anything. He seems like a massive liability and he's not a particularly good or funny actor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kammat posted:

Gwynne Shotwell, the president and COO, is the one who actually manages the company

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

*grudgingly* You win this round Elon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kammat posted:

He was too busy fiddling with Tesla.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Nowher posted:

Does Zuck think this is the future?? Billions of dollars really does rot your brain.

It's basic and lame but I guess I'm mostly shocked by how patronizing the "onboarding" experience looks. It's like someone took the "how corporations will ruin the afterlife" short, or a throwaway gag from a Black Mirror episode and somehow took that completely straight as a source of inspiration and tried to reverse engineer it into a user experience. The horizon avatars look a lot like those of the human hamster maze inhabitants in the dystopian fantasy of Fifteen Million Merits.

Welcome to Your New Life in the Perfect World We Created For You.

There are so many ways they could have done this better, for a lot less. The technology on display is shockingly basic. The floating-torso avatars glitching around in random hops create about as much realistic "presence" as the little 2D habbo hotel sprites did around 2005.

The art direction is so insulting and terrible, everything is flat shaded plastic with no shadows. Those loving trees. THAT's what they throw at you as the official landing zone?

Consider how Valve encourages community participation in forming the post-release lifecycle of their games and technology. The Steam Workshop is full of vibrant communities having fun doing whatever they want, however they want. The experience starts outside of the game world. Users must have a solid sense of ownership of stuff they contribute.

If your users are normally functioning grownups then don't loving patronize them with unconditional, cheerful "great job!" feedback for their first terrible and experimental and probably only vaguely committed attempts at hammering something together with the jankiest imaginable in-game building tools with assets resembling kindergarten block toys.

Meta is being too greedy, too imposing when delineating the boundary of the experience such that on connection you "land" inside their world. Why isn't there a (groan) meta lobby space around it that is neutral and conceptually (if not practically) user-owned? You should be able to land in "your" space, or a public lobby space of your choosing, and trivially work on your avatar and building stuff, experimenting with the technology, socializing, etc, without stepping into the "official" Meta poo poo with their hideous designs and baby games.

There's just nothing to LIKE about horizon worlds.

VRchat as it currently exists, fulfills about 99% of everything that Meta claims they want to do with their tech.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Meta sounds like a worse version of Second Life.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Eeyo posted:

Fair point. I meant selling TSLA stock, but then I guess he'd be in trouble with their shareholders for doing that? (derivative lawsuit on behalf of Tesla, or breach of fidicuary duty, etc)

I guess what I was thinking of was what would happen if the court said he had to buy Twitter and he claimed he couldn't (I guess that wouldn't work since he did have financials in place), or wouldn't, or something? Like what would actually happen in that case?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They don't want people doing modder things outside of it and freely playing with content. They want people buying things inside of it so they can take a 50% cut.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kammat posted:

I can only guess that he still had a fraction of humility back in 2005.

Alternately, he knows he can't actually make a rocket himself, but thinks he does know everything about twitter because he made paypal.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The whole thing looks like a pre-alpha devbuild. Like the occasional leak from a game studio that is obviously only at the early stages.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's so pathetic that he keeps interspersing his breakdown with Facebook boomer/9gag memes to try and get a little hit of positive endorphins from his weird simps

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589631946644414467?s=46&t=zYuaVaqqQszOruNbC-gx2g

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Durzel posted:

Fair point. I meant selling TSLA stock, but then I guess he'd be in trouble with their shareholders for doing that? (derivative lawsuit on behalf of Tesla, or breach of fidicuary duty, etc)

What's the statute on fiduciary duty suits?
Remember when he bought solar city because his brother ran it into the ground?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

The whole thing looks like a pre-alpha devbuild. Like the occasional leak from a game studio that is obviously only at the early stages.

It is that, being built by people who don't know what they're doing.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Tiny Timbs posted:

Gwynne Shotwell, the president and COO, is the one who actually manages the company

Hired entirely for the last name of Shotwell, and it worked out

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dacap posted:

It's so pathetic that he keeps interspersing his breakdown with Facebook boomer/9gag memes to try and get a little hit of positive endorphins from his weird simps

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589631946644414467?s=46&t=zYuaVaqqQszOruNbC-gx2g

Nice Wehrmacht helmet duder

Couldn't bother finding an Allied Soldier huh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

Three unread messages from the Wehrmacht.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Klyith posted:

I can only guess that he still had a fraction of humility back in 2005.

Alternately, he knows he can't actually make a rocket himself, but thinks he does know everything about twitter because he made paypal.

Elon is a moneyman at SpaceX. Tom Mueller was the person with actual experience and vision.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1589381420212195329

good thing there won't be any more elections after this one so it won't be an issue going forwards

I'd be super stoked to have spent the last weekend sleeping on a cold office floor to see this.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Elon is a moneyman at SpaceX. Tom Mueller was the person with actual experience and vision.
that probably didnt stop him from micromanaging the hell out of spacex for about a month before loving off completely

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Three unread messages from the Wehrmacht.

Lol whatup fellow history goon :hfive:

Rudolph Hess trying to slide into Edward VIII's DMs

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589635480135430145

It's not even boomer memes, it's "how do you do, fellow kids" energy on full blast as he struggles to make himself look cool. At least I can derive joy imagining him posting dumb poo poo like this while fervently hoping that people will praise him for doing a funny so the huge void in his husk of a soul will be briefly filled.

Edit: Here's a take no one should be surprised by:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589639376186724354

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 7, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

crime weed posted:

that probably didnt stop him from micromanaging the hell out of spacex for about a month before loving off completely

my dad calls SpaceX "baby engineers," ballistic missile dudes don't have any respect for SX's work environment or methodology and it's a stepping stone to getting a for-life job because everyone knows their spot at SX is tenuous at best because of who the CEO is. I've had this confirmed by people who went to his group from SX.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

goatface posted:

He was too busy fiddling with Tesla.

Imagine the actual work they are getting done at Tesla now, the cars might start to actually run correctly soon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

crime weed posted:

The soviet space programme has showed that rocket engineers can weather this and then go right back to doing what they were doing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/mnateshyamalan/status/1589322716909539329?s=46&t=XGCbm6KbeKXO7pFJdvkw5g

Thank god for the fact check

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589634635621076994

It's not even boomer memes, it's "how do you do, fellow kids" energy on full blast as he struggles to make himself look cool. At least I can derive joy imagining him posting dumb poo poo like this while fervently hoping that people will praise him for doing a funny so the huge void in his husk of a soul will be briefly filled.

Replying to myself with the exact same image with a different dad joke is very "on fleec" with the kids, I am very intelligent

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

the fewer clowns feature is to edge out elon's competition

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is... is he writing these himself?

:hmbol:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bludgeoning myself over the head with the BOTH SIDES hammer so hard my brains are leaking out my ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Elon just tweeted that everyone should vote Republican, and then quickly deleted it. I wonder if his advisors said that's a bad idea.

Edit nvm he didn't delete it, just a server hiccup