Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The new owner of Twitter is dispensing voting advice now.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589639376186724354

Not really unexpected, but still funny as hell. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't just spout a Qanon screed instead, given his recent activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Not really unexpected, but still funny as hell. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't just spout a Qanon screed instead, given his recent activities.

Noted sharer of power Elon Musk

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Main Paineframe posted:

later on under a republican president: "given that true change comes by coordination across chambers, i recommend voting for republican candidate, as the president is republican"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like a Musk endorsement actually hurts the Republicans at this point lol. Everyone except for Musk's weird fanboys hate him, even the chuds hate him for not giving Trump's account back yet.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
He's 100% going to amplify election day lies from Republicans in the "just asking questions" format.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like picking 50% as an arbitrary number and then making 3,700 decisions in a week wasn't a smart move.

https://twitter.com/MattNavarra/status/1589345067013378048

The comedy theory that Elon is speedrunning the Lowtax business model is becoming more true by the day. He just announced that if your account is banned from Twitter, then you can buy it back for $8.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589450301916213248
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589451026981335040

Apropos of absolutely nothing, we're just two days shy of the one year anniversary of Lowtax's suicide after he spitefully spent himself into insolvency in order to screw over his ex-wives and multiple children.

Not that I'm implying Elon would do anything as loathsome as run a comedy website.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Conservative co-worker was poking me about the election to try and rile me up. He told me I'm in an echo chamber after I quoted Republican positions to him. Haha.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Travic posted:

Conservative co-worker was poking me about the election to try and rile me up. He told me I'm in an echo chamber after I quoted Republican positions to him. Haha.

Not believing Republicans hold positions they publicly state they believe is a key component of being a Republican voter.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Push El Burrito posted:

Not believing Republicans hold positions they publicly state they believe is a key component of being a Republican voter.

Me: Republicans in Congress and on the Supreme Court want to ban gay marriage.
Him: No they don't you're in an echo chamber and I feel bad for you.

You're absolutely right. Every Republican I've talked to does not actually want to do these things, but they cannot fathom the idea that they are voting for people that do.

Travic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 7, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Travic posted:

Me: Republicans in Congress and on the Supreme Court want to ban gay marriage.
Him: No they don't you're in an echo chamber and I feel bad for you.

You're absolutely right every Republican I've talked to does not actually want to do these things, but they cannot fathom the idea that they are voting for people that do.

Or somehow the things they will vote for will magically not hurt people they care about.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Great, now I'm a member of TWO dead comedy sites?

What's next, Peter Thiel buying Steam and deleting all of everyone's games except for 'HATRED' , which will be mandatory, just to rile the libs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Or somehow the things they will vote for will magically not hurt people they care about.

"Well they don't really MEAN those things, they're just saying them to keep the crazies on board; no way they'd actually do them once in office!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Great, now I'm a member of TWO dead comedy sites?

What's next, Peter Thiel buying Steam and deleting all of everyone's games except for 'HATRED' , which will be mandatory, just to rile the libs.

Thiel, like his old friend Elon, only goes after things that hurt his fee fees. Did someone or something nebulously tied to Steam recently say that Peter Thiel was a literal vampire who harvests and imbibes van loads of children and teenagers' blood in order to gain eternal youth? Because the way you get a literal vampirish ghoul like Thiel to come after you is to publicly insult him enough that he dedicates his life to destroying you, like he did to Gawker.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Well they don't really MEAN those things, they're just saying them to keep the crazies on board; no way they'd actually do them once in office!"

My personal favorite was, "Well I voted for Trump, but I don't want him to ban Muslims. So its not my fault if he does it."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah!

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/nation/politics/2019/10/voters-2020-election/michigan/madison-heights/

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-trump-voter-immigration-family-separation-georgia-20190519-htmlstory.html

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/us/undocumented-husband-deported/index.html

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A suspicious amount of emphasis on 'comedy' too, like it's a website dedicated to it.
If a lot of people leave twitter because they don't want comedy, it could be really good for this subforum.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Word is trump may announce tonight he's running for prez in 2024.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Zotix posted:

God, that would be the most stupid and chaotic decision. Wait until early voting is almost entirely done, and then just a few hours before everyone heads to the polls with their minds already made up, turn around and make it All About Trump. Which has never been a positive for Republicans at any point, and is absolutely the last moment spoiler that some would need to swallow hard and vote Dem.

I hope he loving does it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zotix posted:

Do you have a source? Politico wrote an article the other day, but said the date was the 14th.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Zotix posted:

That would be amazing, but doubtful The democrat surge would be very noticeable. It will be soon after the midterms, though. I expect him to declare wednesday. If Garland decides to prosecute, trump can spin it as political retribution.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
It’d be a surge in both parties - Democrats to make sure there’s enough representation to deal with any potential bullshit between now and then, and for Republicans to gain power to ensure that they can pull bullshit for the presidential elections.

Plus for Trump, he’s going to get a lot of attention from it and especially if he thinks it might get him off the hook from being indicted.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Class3KillStorm posted:

I hope he loving does it.

He won't, but still,

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Do you have a source? Politico wrote an article the other day, but said the date was the 14th.

Saw this posted earlier in the Midterms thread. Which is obviously not a confirmation or anything but Swan/Axios ain't nobody.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1589647876149645312

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Fwiw
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1589647876149645312?s=20&t=URDNF2Kge5eH_EaK3K-I7w

And the ever trustworthy

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/trumps-2024-presidential-announcement-could-come-tonight

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah, this is the key for the huge portions of the bloc that votes Republican without being rally-chasing MAGA hat January 6ers, particularly the ones that aren't constantly tuned in to news and politics. They construct a mental image of their chosen Republican candidate as a good person and then just simply refuse to believe any evidence to the contrary, even when that evidence comes directly from the candidate's mouth. "Oh, [x congressman] would never vote to ban abortion for rape cases."

I have a Republican-voting relative who would adamantly insist that the Republicans didn't actually want to dismantle the ACA for years because "there's no way they'd just tear down the whole thing and replace it with nothing", and who somehow used the time when it only escaped repeal due to McCain's spite vote as proof that the Republicans didn't actually want it gone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Based indeed

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Saw this posted earlier in the Midterms thread. Which is obviously not a confirmation or anything but Swan/Axios ain't nobody.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1589647876149645312

Or it's just a ploy to make people watch his dumb rally, since everyone not in his cult has lost interest otherwise.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea this is probably just to get more than usual amount of people to watch his bullshit rally expecting something. Basically giving him free air time just like what happened in 2015.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Madkal posted:

Yea this is probably just to get more than usual amount of people to watch his bullshit rally expecting something. Basically giving him free air time just like what happened in 2015.

Speculation has it that Trump is going to be indicted or charged with something by the DOJ as soon as Wednesday. He still thinks declaring he's running for president again throws up a magical invincibility shield around him and he can't be charged with anything while he's a declared candidate and/or president once again. So that's why he's probably in a hurry to announce it tonight, if he's gonna, because it will be drowned out in noise tomorrow.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Does declaring it actually mean anything legally? Is there paperwork that he cannot file once indicted?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

superjew posted:

Does declaring it actually mean anything legally? Is there paperwork that he cannot file once indicted?

Legally not really but the media coverage will change and because the media doesn't want to be biased they are going to go for the Joe Biden is going after Trump how unprecedented is this?! narrative.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

superjew posted:

It doesn't mean anything legally, but the DOJ generally has a policy of not touching Presidential candidates (outside of serious slam dunk cases) because it would interfere with the election. That was why it was such a huge deal that the DOJ announced they were re-opening the investigation into Hillary's emails a few days before the election in 2016.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

superjew posted:

It lets him screech to his base about political persecution and set that narrative. Everything else is incidental to that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Push El Burrito posted:

Pretending to not support those positions, more like.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

After 4 years of the opposition saying they can't do this or that to him because he's POTUS, it's hard to blame him for thinking that simply being a declared candidate will result in them all backing off out of terror of looking like they're being political. He's right to think that, imho. I think he's mostly just doing it because he misses the attention though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Honestly I'm not even sure he gets back into the race. It's a gently caress ton of work to run for president and he's been back to his life of wealth and leisure for years now. It's going to take a whole lot to really get off the couch, so to speak. Maybe it happens, I think there's a significant chance that he just endlessly teases and decides instead to play kingmaker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure he gets back into the race. It's a gently caress ton of work to run for president and he's been back to his life of wealth and leisure for years now. It's going to take a whole lot to really get off the couch, so to speak. Maybe it happens, I think there's a significant chance that he just endlessly teases and decides instead to play kingmaker.

If he (correctly) sees becoming president as another 4-year break from legal consequences, he'll do it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like we should subject politicians to MORE legal scrutiny than everyone else, but I suppose politicians would disagree.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

haveblue posted:

If he (correctly) sees becoming president as another 4-year break from legal consequences, he'll do it

What legal consequences does he need a break from that hundreds of millions of dollars don't solve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Trump has to run. He's facing potential legal and financial consequences and he probably also has a much better idea of how he can enrich himself in the office and delegate substantive work out now.

The only thing that keeps him from running is dying and the guy seems as healthy as any old and stocky rich man can be.