Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
yea patreon gets an update and a link to an unlisted youtube video for the bonus when it goes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

justice for jammy

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

death to puppers

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's loving wild the cases they get sent, even if only some of them are true. I bet when they started asking people for D'n'D poo poo to judge they didn't expect this kind of poo poo to come in.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

It seems like the only thing they're uploading to their YouTube channel for the moment is the monthly D'n'D Court session (but not the extra cases for Patreon), and it's worth watching this months just for that one case. The turn on everyone's face when Emily gets to the second proviso is...well, dramatic. The dog camera one has some good faces/reactions too.

Also, I've never seen how tall Aabria is, but I'm guessing she's a good bit taller than Caldwell from the way the two of them look sat next to each other.

She's fairly tall, her and B. Dave Walters have made jokes about how they're similar in height before on other streams I've seen and he's way over 6 foot.

I do need to watch this one, the reactions are the best part.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I started listening to this on and off at work a couple years ago. I think they were approaching the end of Bahumia when I started. I eventually got as far as the battle against Galad for Hardwon's mother's soul, and haven't listened to it in months. Now I don't have a job where I can listen to podcasts. If y'all were me, would you pick up where I left off, or get back on with a new campaign?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 20, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finish Campaign one

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Finish Campaign one

:agreed:

i was gonna suggest that if you need a break at any point, any of the d&d courts or tortle tanks are funny to listen to as standalone episodes, but now that I'm thinking of it, I think they sometimes reference the events of the end of campaign 1, so maybe not just to be safe

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Campaign one is I think generally better than two, but they also on occasion mention C1 spoilers, so best to start from where you left off, or start over entirely since you weren't that far in.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm currently re-listening to the entirety of campaign 1 + the short rests, which is my psychotic way of saying yes definitely listen to all of it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Christmas posted:

I started listening to this on and off at work a couple years ago. I think they were approaching the end of Bahumia when I started. I eventually got as far as the battle against Galad for Hardwon's mother's soul, and haven't listened to it in months. Now I don't have a job where I can listen to podcasts. If y'all were me, would you pick up where I left off, or get back on with a new campaign?

I agree with everyone else; finish C1. It's a really great story. And, where you left off is right around the time they started recording Short Rest, which is a more casual talkback discussion of each episode for $5 patrons on their Patreon. (EDIT: after re-reading your post I may have misinterpreted where you are in the story but w/e)

Normally I wouldn't suggest listening to a companion podcast that makes diving back into the show sound even more daunting, but I'm doing it anyway because Short Rest is legitimately my favorite podcast.

The players talk about why they made some of the decisions they did and theorize about what could possibly come next, while the DM shares some "peeks behind the screen" to things that might have happened had they done things differently. They also share their favorite and least favorite parts about each episode. And that's all fine. But the real magic of Short Rest is when one of them says something weird or stupid and they just go off on a buck wild tangent for 35 minutes.

Every person on this podcast is the funniest person, and when any one of them is out for an episode (which almost never happens) I genuinely miss their contributions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

timp posted:

But the real magic of Short Rest is when one of them says something weird or stupid and they just go off on a buck wild tangent for 35 minutes.

sometimes i'll randomly think about the woman in the wall and start laughing, you never know what's going to happen in these episodes

but yeah absolutely jump on that $5 patreon if you can afford it, it's the most bang for the buck of any podcast patreon i've ever seen. You get a whole rear end extra episode every week, and in addition to the cool behind the scenes chatter, they're frequently just as funny, if not funnier, than the main feed. I'm enjoying campaign 2 + 3 well enough but if i'm being completely honest, I think i look forward to the short rests and d&d court/tortle tanks more than the live play episodes at this point, they're just really funny people with great chemistry and I like to hear 'em goof. I am glad that the universe conspired to bring murph and emily together, they each individually have bizarre energies that complement each other perfectly

We also recently got a dropout subscription and have been watching Fantasy High and it's kind of funny that Murph is so high strung as a player, the man does not like to see low numbers on the dice. I imagine he has a chiller attitude about it as a DM because when you roll bad as a DM, it means your players get to do cool poo poo, which is ultimately more fun than killing your friends

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd also say that I think campaign 1 is probably their strongest campaign, at least for the moment. It's probably because they got to stretch their legs over 100 episodes while making it though, with a good few live shows and specials to allow the characters and players to be silly. It meant the characters had more depth and history overall. I liked campaign 2, but it was quite short and I never felt like I connected with the cast or they got to do as much. The best part of it was almost certainly the mini-campaign they did with Lou because Caldwell was gone for several weeks after the birth of his child. The cast have an immediate energy that recalls the best of the first campaign, and that I'm not sure the second ever really hit.

I'm enjoying the third campaign so far, but I'm only on episode 13 at the moment, so I'm about 10 episodes behind or something and I think the sillier setting just suits the group more. Eldermorne was never grim by any means, but it felt more serious outside the Lou episodes, and I don't think it really works for the group and their style.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't dislike Eldermourne, but I think it had two main problems that made it lesser than 1. The first being that you could feel them rushing towards the end. Campaign 1 gave them plenty of time to explore the world and make friends and enemies in all the regions, with two everything ended up so abbreviated they barely had anyone outside the main party. And the story work was better balanced in 1, every character had huge moments in multiple places that gave them a reason to fight, 2 it felt like way too much weight ended up on Phiana's shoulders and Zerk especially ended up getting story screwed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I will say that I did like Jake's explanation for building Henry; it was something like "Bahumia was my first D&D campaign and I didn't realize you weren't supposed to already be a hero at level 1, so i created a schmuck instead this time"

Fortunately Dice Christ corrected his mistake organically (watch this) and it all worked out

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will say that I did like Jake's explanation for building Henry; it was something like "Bahumia was my first D&D campaign and I didn't realize you weren't supposed to already be a hero at level 1, so i created a schmuck instead this time"

Fortunately Dice Christ corrected his mistake organically (watch this) and it all worked out

Oh nice that gives me an excuse to share this thing I found once that made me chuckle. Timestamped for convenience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ck7cEj20Y&t=623s

(circa 2017 by the way)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ainsley McTree posted:

One of the best things about Henry was hearing Jake go from "Hank's a completely average guy" to "Actually he's kind of tall" to "Well, he's Hollywood average". Jake just wants to be a cool, buff boy who's not as cool as he thinks but is still actually kind of cool.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I finally caught all the way up to NADDPOD and what a ride

I've been listening to it while in the car or travelling somewhere since like.. before the pandemic. Definitely a bittersweet moment. All the campaigns are great, duck team fuckin sucks, honestly dunno if I could pick a favorite.

Though, I think even after all the years of content I've listened too, I dunno that they've really ever topped the answering "chicken" moment in terms of how hard I've laughed at the podcast. God that moment was the funniest thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've no idea why but, Jake Season 2 spoilers, the hotplate gag got me everytime. just imagining this sad sack dork plugging in a bunch of hotplates had me dying

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't dislike Eldermourne, but I think it had two main problems that made it lesser than 1. The first being that you could feel them rushing towards the end. Campaign 1 gave them plenty of time to explore the world and make friends and enemies in all the regions, with two everything ended up so abbreviated they barely had anyone outside the main party. And the story work was better balanced in 1, every character had huge moments in multiple places that gave them a reason to fight, 2 it felt like way too much weight ended up on Phiana's shoulders and Zerk especially ended up getting story screwed.

Yeah, I think Murph's explanation of "once the story became about finding a specific person there's only so long I can stretch that out before it feels bad" was right, but it feels like Eldermourne as a setting has a lot more potential, as do those characters (and they've said before that they definitely want to return to the setting sometime).

I actually kind of like shorter more focused campaigns tbh (though maybe what I actually like is Emily's protests when Murph hints that they will never get to be level 20 ever again). Though Campaign 3 seems like a happy medium so far.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Though, I think even after all the years of content I've listened too, I dunno that they've really ever topped the answering "chicken" moment in terms of how hard I've laughed at the podcast. God that moment was the funniest thing

I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any clip of that on YouTube; which episode was it again. I kind of want to listen to it again, now that you've reminded me of it. Just the pause before Murph says "...chicken" knowing that he's immediately hosed is great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah overall I think I like the shorter campaigns too. I agree that it does make it harder to get attached to the characters, but i only have room for so many 100-episode epics in my life, I like having a tight beginning, middle, and end more, I think.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any clip of that on YouTube; which episode was it again. I kind of want to listen to it again, now that you've reminded me of it. Just the pause before Murph says "...chicken" knowing that he's immediately hosed is great.

After a little bit of digging (because it's like.. weirdly not anywhere tbh) it was apparently Episode 55. Now I gotta go listen to it as well

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what lovely timing, they just put up new live shows in boston/philly/dc for january as a patreon pre-sale. jumped on that right quick

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

My partner and I made these Church of Dice Christ accoutrements and sent them into the PO Box a while ago. They shouted them out today!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Reo posted:

My partner and I made these Church of Dice Christ accoutrements and sent them into the PO Box a while ago. They shouted them out today!

that owns bones, if you'll pardon the pun

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I better see one of them wearing those vestements in future or these video court sessions have been for naught.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

After a little bit of digging (because it's like.. weirdly not anywhere tbh) it was apparently Episode 55. Now I gotta go listen to it as well

Yeah, that's the one; thanks. I forgot just how much setup there was for the game, with Murph being super serious as he tries to impress upon everyone that any character could be the mole, and that they had to play it straight if they got the secret dice that marked them as the mole. He spends several minutes setting up this really tense game of "Secret Hitler" essentially, only for Moonshine to immediately, immediately puncture the whole thing by asking Balnor a question as the first round in the entire thing. I really just remembered "...chicken", but the extended setup and speed it's deflated is a really big part of it now that I listen to it again. After which the entire cast just breaks character and it turns into a Short Rest for 5 minutes as they raz the poo poo out of Murph because he got so wrecked by it.

That aside, I just listened to one of the live shows from several months back with everyone trying to find a Bud Heavenly to give Balnor for Father's Day, and I was kind of nervous about it a few minutes in because Caldwell was doing the stage intros so I wasn't sure what was going on, but realized he was going to DM the Bahumia crew, which I wasn't sure I'd like since I'm not a fan of his Trinyvale campaign, but no, I loved it. The only thing I didn't love was his Toyota Yaris, because it just sounded too hosed up. Hated it, but in a "this is fun to hate" way, thankfully. Hardwon becoming obsessed with a Maxim cover was hilarious too, especially because Jake admits half way through that he knows it's loving stupid but he's too deep and he can't stop the joke now.

It's a really silly joke, but I do love that this 6 foot tall+ super buff demi-god who's saved the world multiple times over is just such a fuckin' goober and cannot handle women (besides his bestie Moonshine) to save his life.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah it’s the lengthy set up and then immediate resolution that make it so funny, I’m glad they didn’t edit any of the setup out.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I've always wanted to play D&D, but I never had that friend group, or so I thought. About a year ago, I got really into looking into it and the mechanics. Problem is is that it's so drat overwhelming for a middle-aged dude to get into it, and the idea of playing online or meeting a group of (new! ugh!) people that my goofy rear end would gel with was a huge impediment. I wanted to be serious but I wanted to be myself at the same time. That doesn't always go great together.

I started listening to this podcast a couple months ago after thinking it would just be a thing that I never got to do. I started listening to TAZ shortly after they started Ethersea and it was... fine. I hadn't listened to any other podcasts of the ilk, and while I was looking at the forums I saw this thread title and immediately started the pod at campaign 1. As of today I'm fully caught up and happy to say that I played my first game last Wednesday that is slow and considered, but with a group of friends that are fun as hell. Friends I have known for years, but I think I put off the vibe that I wasn't about it. They let it slip, and I asked if I could join their in progress campaign. I couldn't be happier.

This stupid podcast is a blast. It made it so warm and inviting and the mix of serious play with just... off the loving walls wackiness is perfect. I think the thing is that it's so engaging and their recaps are so succinct that even when I'm half paying attention, I feel caught up. Ethersea lost me multiple times, I felt like I never quite knew what the gently caress was going on, and it felt like they got really annoyed when something got too funny. Critical Role has been fun but long, and I feel lost often. I'm sad that I'm caught up now because bingeing the entire thing has really made work fly by.

I guess I don't have a lot to say other than thanks for having a catchy thread title from the pod when I needed it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I know of at least a few other D'n'D Actual Play podcasts that have a good mix of comedy and role-play that you might find suit your tastes as something new to have to binge while keeping up week to week with Not Another D'n'D Podcast. There's the Dungeons and Daddies (Not That Kind) podcast, which is about 4 dads from the real world transported into a magical realm while trying to find their sons, and Rude Tales of Magic. Which, I'm not even sure how you'd describe. Not because it's so wacky or anything, but it just doesn't have a simple and succinct summary like Dungeons and Daddies. It's along the same lines as NADDPod though, i.e. mostly comic adventures in a fantasy setting with some drama in the mix done by various actors and comics.

It's also worth checking out Dimension 20 on the Dropout service, which has some episodes up for free on YouTube if you want to check them out. I believe one or two of the shorter seasons might be up in their entirety too. Emily and Murph are players on the regular seasons, which tend to be about 18 episodes long, and frequently appear in shorter seasons too. Again, it's mostly done by improv comics and other actors and comics they know, so it has a good blend of comedy and drama. Lou Wilson, Zac Oyama and several other guests from the show have been frequent players too, and the main Dungeon Master is Brennan Lee Mulligan; who played Deadeye in the first campaign of NADDPod.

Also, if you haven't already, sign up for the Short Rest stuff on Patreon, which is often as entertaining as the main episodes themselves. Drawfee's D'n'D content is usually pretty good too. They've done two seasons of a show called Drawtectives where dice rolling is replaced by the 3 cast members doing drawings, but is mostly just an excuse for the cast to riff off each other in a D'n'D style setting. There's no real ability scores or anything as such. They do a good few streams where they draw D'n'D characters though, often with Brennan Lee Mulligan from Dimension 20.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah if you like naddpod, you will also like Dimension 20, it's very much the same vibe and frankly also mostly the same people. One of their campaigns, fantasy high, is all up for free on youtube, that's a good place to start and see if you want to sub to their proprietary thing. They have other stuff on youtube too, but I haven't really checked it out yet so dunno how comprehensive anything else you can get for free will be.

And I know you said you bounced off TAZ, but if you haven't listened to it already, their first campaign, bureau of balance, is actually really good, and set a bar that they never quite managed to reach again (I never finished a season after 1 and stopped trying after 3). I haven't revisited it, but I imagine it probably holds up just fine, I feel like it kind of inspired a bunch of imitator podcasts that fortunately managed to carry the torch better than they did, including naddpod. But I could have the timing of that wrong

Also yeah it's nice that the podcast is still good even if you're only half paying attention; I only really listen to podcasts in the background while I'm doing other things, so I usually fully lose the thread of the campaign somewhere in the middle if i'm being completely honest, but I still look forward to the episodes dropping every week, the moment to moment...uh, moments, are all so fun to listen to. And now they've started slipping in non-campaign episodes every few weeks which I appreciate for pure goofs.

will also sign off on that list of other recommended podcasts; i listen to dungeons and daddies and rude tales as well and am a big fan; if i had to summarize rude tales, it'd be "looney tunes, but for grownups, and only audio, but somehow it works". Branson Reese is a tour de force of a DM, the Douglas Adams of our time

although dungeons and daddies and rude tales are both DMd by people with no particular reverence for the rules of D&D, so if those matter to you you might find them frustrating; not that NADDPOD doesn't have any shenanigans or homebrew but i feel like they have a little more respect for the Game of D&D than some of the other actual plays I listen to. Neither method is wrong imo, they all result in entertaining podcasts, it's just interesting to see the difference sometimes.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 6, 2022

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
murph has had discussions on mic about how players can have fun but need to be grounded enough to avoid becoming cartoon characters. meanwhile on rude tales, player carlee monardo recently described DM branson reese's style of interaction as "bugs bunny with a gun." both styles are valid & both podcasts are good but i know which i prefer

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VERY COOL MAN posted:

murph has had discussions on mic about how players can have fun but need to be grounded enough to avoid becoming cartoon characters. meanwhile on rude tales, player carlee monardo recently described DM branson reese's style of interaction as "bugs bunny with a gun." both styles are valid & both podcasts are good but i know which i prefer

Murph's general attitude to shenanigans is basically "I'll bend the rules a bit for a goof, but they're important and a joke is fine only so long as it's not actually driving lore or gameplay", but he's sat right next to Caldwell who has a lot more relaxed attitude himself when he's DM'ing and is happy to let players gently caress about and pull a goof or just give them a thing if he thinks it'll be fun almost regardless of rules from what I heard in the first few episodes of Trinyvale before I dipped on it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

Murph's general attitude to shenanigans is basically "I'll bend the rules a bit for a goof, but they're important and a joke is fine only so long as it's not actually driving lore or gameplay", but he's sat right next to Caldwell who has a lot more relaxed attitude himself when he's DM'ing and is happy to let players gently caress about and pull a goof or just give them a thing if he thinks it'll be fun almost regardless of rules from what I heard in the first few episodes of Trinyvale before I dipped on it.

Yeah, Caldwell wants to give his players treats, rules and balance be damned.

Murph actually manages to set a pretty good balance I think. Aside from how hilarious it is, Dungeon Court is worth listening to just to hear his (and the others') thinking about what the role of a DM actually is, and it's clear he puts a lot of thought into it all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll also say that the fact that everything Emily does is (as far as I know) technically legal within the rules of D&D just makes her bullshit even more impressive

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll also say that the fact that everything Emily does is (as far as I know) technically legal within the rules of D&D just makes her bullshit even more impressive

Yeah, it's pretty clear that she puts a lot of thought into how to game the system when between sessions and has become good enough at it and is creative enough in general that she can often pull off some really surprising poo poo on the fly with maybe one or two other players turns to consider a problem. She's gone into her thinking a few times on the Short Rest, and while she usually brushes it off as quite simple solutions, they're often the kind of things that are really only simple to her. The ones that stands out to me are her deciding ahead of time on several plans to delay with any particular strategy that Thiala might employ, so that she'd have some idea what to do in any situation she could imagine and also that at some point she decided to conjure animals so that there'd be 8 different animals all casting really low level cantrips to use up an enemies legendary actions or something. I don't even remember the exact details; I just remember her talking it out on the Short Rest and it highlighting how much thought she put into things, and how good she was at abusing the system to her own ends.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear that she puts a lot of thought into how to game the system when between sessions and has become good enough at it and is creative enough in general that she can often pull off some really surprising poo poo on the fly with maybe one or two other players turns to consider a problem. She's gone into her thinking a few times on the Short Rest, and while she usually brushes it off as quite simple solutions, they're often the kind of things that are really only simple to her. The ones that stands out to me are her deciding ahead of time on several plans to delay with any particular strategy that Thiala might employ, so that she'd have some idea what to do in any situation she could imagine and also that at some point she decided to conjure animals so that there'd be 8 different animals all casting really low level cantrips to use up an enemies legendary actions or something. I don't even remember the exact details; I just remember her talking it out on the Short Rest and it highlighting how much thought she put into things, and how good she was at abusing the system to her own ends.

That conjure animals one was really good, it was a low level spell like faerie fire or something, if I remember right. It didn't even do damage, or just a tiny amount but it gave the players a decent advantage so Thiala had to make sure it didn't happen.

In the Seven season of Dimension 20 Erika Ishii did something real similar with summoning a bunch of terrifying geese, which seems ridiculous but managed to be a huge problem for the enemy.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

seaborgium posted:

That conjure animals one was really good, it was a low level spell like faerie fire or something, if I remember right. It didn't even do damage, or just a tiny amount but it gave the players a decent advantage so Thiala had to make sure it didn't happen.

In the Seven season of Dimension 20 Erika Ishii did something real similar with summoning a bunch of terrifying geese, which seems ridiculous but managed to be a huge problem for the enemy.

Erika Ishii also pulled similar caster shenanigans by summoning 8 pixies to hand out flight to the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

The cantrip Chill Touch, which is usually a low-level caster attack, but it has the distinct advantage of preventing the target from healing themselves until the caster's next turn, meaning that all of Thiala's holy healing powers were nullified and as a result Murph got fuckin WHOMPED ahahahah he got his bell rung lolol

Droogie posted:

I guess I don't have a lot to say other than thanks for having a catchy thread title from the pod when I needed it.

:tipshat:

The credit definitely goes to the podcast hosts for actually thinking of the joke in question but hell, I'll still take it :) Welcome to the NADDPOD fam!