Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Commander Keene posted:

But who knows if the games that are currently out on the Switch will be updated/remastered to benefit from that increase in specs, if it even ever comes to pass.

They won’t have to get updated in order for the new hardware to remedy performance problems, which was the thing that OP was saying would never happen. I don’t mean that the games will look better, I mean that they will chug less because they’re finally actually within the performance envelope of the hardware they’re running on. Things won’t get remastered or updated to take advantage of an OLED Deck either, but they’ll still look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm not a game developer, but IIRC on console games had to be specifically designed to take advantage of a processor or extra RAM or the like. For example on the New 3DS the console runs at the base 3DS clock speed and L2 cache size except for games specifically designed to take advantage of the New 3DS. The only thing games released before the N3DS could take advantage of was the face-tracking 3D. A soft-modded N3DS could force the new hardware to perform up to spec, but at the risk of some games breaking. IIRC console manufacturers do this on purpose, specifically underclocking the console on older games, to prevent poorly-coded games that tie important things like physics to clock speed or frame rate from breaking.

The Deck on the other hand is just a PC and designed to play PC games, and PC don't give a poo poo about when your game was developed or what breaks because you didn't bother to future-proof your games. See: every game that just CTDs on a modern PC, or games from before FPS caps were commonplace where the game runs like the Flash on anything built within the last 25 years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder if the Steam Deck might bring about some mini revolution in optimization of PC games that leads to some noticeable drop in global power consumption.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I wonder if the Steam Deck might bring about some mini revolution in optimization of PC games that leads to some noticeable drop in global power consumption.

Absolutely not lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m pretty sure many existing games ran better on the PS4 Pro than the base PS4, without having to be remastered for them. Extra RAM might or might not be useful depending on what the OS does with it with respect to caching, but the faster CPU/GPU will get put to work. You could design things differently, and I guess it’s not too surprising that Nintendo did with its incredibly low-power predecessor handhelds whether the screen probably stopped refreshing if the L2 hit rate went up, but those are almost more like embedded devices than modern console architecture like the Switch.

It would be an incredible waste and genuinely shocking if games that were borderline on Switch 1 didn’t just play better on Switch 2 out of the box, possibly with a handful of exceptions where the developers were especially insane even by console developer standards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well we do know that when using an emulator if you give a switch game more horsepower the game will run better. I’d hope that would translate over to the switch 2 but you never know.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you are more trusting than me if you would be genuinely shocked by nintendo doing some inexplicable idiosyncratic nintendo thing that is totally out of line with the majority of the industry and the expectations/learned behaviors of worldwide gaming consumers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The new 3ds had to have games specifically designed to take advantage of the extra power so who the hell knows what they will do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Super No Vacancy posted:

you are more trusting than me if you would be genuinely shocked by nintendo doing some inexplicable idiosyncratic nintendo thing that is totally out of line with the majority of the industry and the expectations/learned behaviors of worldwide gaming consumers

I mean, we already know that the existing Switch plays around with clock speed for different games, and that existing games can run better if you overclock it. I don’t think there’s all that much trust involved in assuming that it will continue to hold for hardware that runs faster by default.

https://youtu.be/a-XR64QHOmE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In the case of 3DS games its mostly just the extra cores, old 3DS games are written for two cores and you can't do much about that. You absolutely get a boost on a hacked New 3DS (or just Citra) set to run everything at the higher clock and with the extra cache, though, and Switch games on an emulator can run better than native (not necessarily on a Deck though). That's true of pretty much every system since like the PS2, games aren't really tightly coupled to their hardware as much as they used to be. Outside of like, optimizing against the resources guaranteed by the console specs as much as possible. They don't usually break if you crank things up though, see like PS4 Pro Boost Mode.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yes, a game will run better if you overclock the hardware (except when they break), you can force the N3DS to run at full clock of you have a soft mod and their performance improves. I'm talking about Nintendo themselves implementing a system-level underclock on the next Switch to prevent the games that break from breaking.

That's assuming the new Tegra chip in the Nvidia leak is even for Nintendo hardware, and that the next console Nintendo is making won't go off on some completely new gimmick. The Wii U was backwards compatible with every disc-based Nintendo console, even if you had to trick it into running GameCube games they were still running natively. The Switch isn't backwards compatible with anything. Who knows what Nintendo is doing next? None of us, certainly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Commander Keene posted:

That's assuming the new Tegra chip in the Nvidia leak is even for Nintendo hardware, and that the next console Nintendo is making won't go off on some completely new gimmick.

The NVIDIA leak included reference to support for the new hardware in the “NPN” proprietary API that NVIDIA built for the Switch, so I’m feeling good about the prospect, even if I doubt I would buy a Switch 2 for myself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dammit, q != e

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
None of Nintendo's systems have improved performance for existing games before where the architecture has generally been the same (DS, Wii, Wii U, 3DS) but I do still think there's a chance (far from guaranteed, mind you!) that a follow-up machine will be 'just faster' on games that don't meet their performance targets like Shin Megami Tensei or Hyrule Warriors in the way that modern Xbox and PlayStation consoles are. The last thing Nintendo generally wants to do is make this stuff complicated though so I don't think there's much chance of the user being able to manually tweak things like running the game in docked mode while portable (which would help with something like Persona 5 that's running at the intended speed all the time).

Basically, expect nothing until they've done it because it'll probably not work the way you want or expect it to.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

uiruki posted:

None of Nintendo's systems have improved performance for existing games before where the architecture has generally been the same (DS, Wii, Wii U, 3DS) but I do still think there's a chance (far from guaranteed, mind you!) that a follow-up machine will be 'just faster' on games that don't meet their performance targets like Shin Megami Tensei or Hyrule Warriors in the way that modern Xbox and PlayStation consoles are. The last thing Nintendo generally wants to do is make this stuff complicated though so I don't think there's much chance of the user being able to manually tweak things like running the game in docked mode while portable (which would help with something like Persona 5 that's running at the intended speed all the time).

Basically, expect nothing until they've done it because it'll probably not work the way you want or expect it to.
:yeah:

This is basically what I've been saying. There's a chance that Nintendo's next console will be an "improved" Switch, there's a chance it'll be backwards compatible, there's a chance games will run better on it, but none of these things are guaranteed because nobody knows anything substantial. Let's just say not everyone has an unfettered sense of optimism in how Nintendo works at the best of times. They may decide to get in on the more predatory side of marketing and encourage devs to charge $60 for a "remaster" or "definitive edition" which is just the Switch version of the game with a bit flipped to tell the console not to underclock the game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like people’s thinking on the popularity of the Steam Deck leading to less resource-intensive games but the truth is while that may still happen, it’ll almost assuredly be due to NVIDIA’s current bullshit with the Steam Deck as an ancillary benefit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Commander Keene posted:

I'm not a game developer, but IIRC on console games had to be specifically designed to take advantage of a processor or extra RAM or the like. For example on the New 3DS the console runs at the base 3DS clock speed and L2 cache size except for games specifically designed to take advantage

It depends on how they are coded.

Pilotwings 64 for example, runs at an unlocked 20fps on Nintendo 64. On Switch it runs at 60fps with the only weirdness being the timer jumps around a little(which it already did but less noticeably). The rom is not modified for that purpose, it was always an unlocked framerate.

People with modded Switches have overclocked the CPU (which itself is actually underclocked) and seen noticeable performance gains in multiple Nintendo games like Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors.

Even still though, if they make a future Switch with backwards compatibility they may force the CPU into a backwards compatibility profile when running older games and you wouldn't see those gains anyway.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The publishers also have to be on the same page otherwise it will be like The Last Guardian or Bloodborne. The former is locked to 30 FPS (unless you play the unpatched disc version, in which case smooth 60 FPS!), while the latter is exactly the same choppy mess on the PS4 as on the PS5 because nobody bothered to fix/update the game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Wow that was a derail.

The Switch successor will most certainly be backwards compatible, and offer only incidental performance improvements (memory bandwidth, storage latency) when playing original Switch titles. There's no way they're going to do things like increase CPU/GPU clocks when running in compatibility mode. This is just how they operate.

What would be nice is if they allowed patches to past Switch titles to make use of more capable hardware, but Nintendo is going to Nintendo so of course they're not going to do that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Backward compatibility is one of the big advantages of, eg, the Steam Deck, so I'm hoping that it has the effect of making that more of an industry standard

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I said i couldn't easily find a mouse that's got a multi-device switch for simultaneous paired bluetoothing. I got the huawei bluetooth mouse 2nd gen CD23. It was on sale and open box, just like the logitech keyboard, so i got em for cheat and the open box discounts paid for the replacement warranties. i gotta say, i love my local canada computers so far. good service, flexible with returns, and they don't extract massive markups on cables and adapters; they're cheap. the mouse was like 35? sitting among a bunch of ugly $100-150 mice with (ugh) dongles.

the reason it was returned was "too small for hands." it's not that small, but i'll say you should avoid it if you're used to just resting the entire weight of your arm on your mouse like a peasant who never went to finishing school. i bet you crush teacups in your hands too, don't you? you go through teacups by the gross.

there was a kid buying a nSwitch and i told him "you are going to regret it if you don't get the OLED." i got a byleth amiibo uwu

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
So i caved and got vampire survivors.

Gotta say i was suprised that the only real control is movement, i assumed it would be a bit more complicated but once i got over that i started having a lot of fun.

So much that i want to show off the game to a friend, and well as progression and unlocks are a big part of the game i thought it would be fun to open up a new save file and play docked at their house.

Unfortunately the game doesn't have multiple saves, the deck doesn't seperate game files by profile and even deleting your current save file requires deleting multiple specific flies and folders and disabling cloud saves.

Its at times like this despite how superior the deck's specs are I genuinely wish this game had a Switch port. I miss the dead simple profile system.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pro tip for Vampire Survivors, map the right joystick to the Left joystick's output and map your back buttons and triggers to select as well so you can play with any hand/button combo. I play it on my exercise bike and it's really handy being able to use either hand and drink water.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I tried playing my deck on a bike and got way too sweaty in like 10-15 minutes. I might look like I should be in an 80s exercise video and get some sweat bands to try again, lol

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

another VS protip: use the dpad when you've got the whip.

simple question here: can't attach screenshots to gmail in desktop mode. gmail's add attachment thingy doesn't see desktop. drag and drop: gmail says "this file is 0 bytes." i can't drag the PNGs from the desktop to the pictures folder, which gmail can see. just doesn't do it; no error mesage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1589633781853552643

Probably will highlight quite a few good Steam Deck games

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mescal posted:

simple question here: can't attach screenshots to gmail in desktop mode. gmail's add attachment thingy doesn't see desktop. drag and drop: gmail says "this file is 0 bytes." i can't drag the PNGs from the desktop to the pictures folder, which gmail can see. just doesn't do it; no error mesage.

I think this is Linux weirdness, I find that I can't attach files via browser or Discord, I can't click links from Discord and have them open in an Edge window.

The Nreal Airs just got a Beta update that fixes the 30fps issue with the Steam Deck in Gaming Mode: https://activation.nreal.ai/en/nreal-air-upgrade-plus.html

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mescal posted:

Did you try running "systemctl --user restart xdg-desktop-portal"? Firefox runs in a flatpak and the xdg-desktop-portal stuff is flaky on the Deck.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mr Phillby posted:

So i caved and got vampire survivors.

Gotta say i was suprised that the only real control is movement, i assumed it would be a bit more complicated but once i got over that i started having a lot of fun.

So much that i want to show off the game to a friend, and well as progression and unlocks are a big part of the game i thought it would be fun to open up a new save file and play docked at their house.

Unfortunately the game doesn't have multiple saves, the deck doesn't seperate game files by profile and even deleting your current save file requires deleting multiple specific flies and folders and disabling cloud saves.

Its at times like this despite how superior the deck's specs are I genuinely wish this game had a Switch port. I miss the dead simple profile system.

If you want as close to the beginning as you can get, just refund all your powerups and start with the whip guy on the first level. There's some weapons/passives that you can't get around but that's about as close as you can get without deleting saves.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mr Phillby posted:

just buy them the game it costs nothing.

I had that situation previously with my girlfriend who I bought it for and she only ever played 70% unlocked ea before on my deck. didn't take 5 minutes before she was hooked despite everything beeing very slow.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did you try running "systemctl --user restart xdg-desktop-portal"? Firefox runs in a flatpak and the xdg-desktop-portal stuff is flaky on the Deck.

uh no, i was juuust about to try "systemctl --user restart xdg-desktop-portal" right before you said that

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Oh yeah? Did it work?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh yeah? Did it work?

haven't yet. can you tell me what it does?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mescal posted:

haven't yet. can you tell me what it does?
When flatpak apps need to open files they can't access in their sandbox, it goes through this whole xdg portal mechanism. I assume that's what Firefox is doing, though maybe not. The xdg portal stuff is partially broken on the Deck for reasons I haven't bothered to figure out--but it's related to trying to start it in game mode. When you run that command in desktop mode it restarts the xdg portal stuff and so the FIrefox file picker should work correctly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I tried playing Metal Gear Rising on my main PC and went off to play it on the Deck instead because for some reason in fullscreen on PC it's locked to 24fps and I don't want to play a game windowed in 2022.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

njsykora posted:

I tried playing Metal Gear Rising on my main PC and went off to play it on the Deck instead because for some reason in fullscreen on PC it's locked to 24fps and I don't want to play a game windowed in 2022.

That was absolutely a thing when it came out - Just Cause 2 suffered from it too. Basically the game just takes whatever resolution and refresh rate is at the top of the list and runs with it. I remember having trouble with Transformers too but that might have been a different issue.

And yeah, it’s great on the Deck because you can connect your best headphones to it for the ridiculous soundtrack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How come Desktop Mode sometimes decides not to open folders? The whole double click thing I’ve been doing on computers my entire life doesn’t do anything.

Edit: It turns out I had the Steam Deck display as a second monitor on whole docked without realizing it so things were opening on that.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 7, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've found double clicking in general to be super inconsistent. I just chalked it up to Linux devs forgetting some of us have wrists of dust and can't double click that quick any more.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Is there any 'view random game in your library' plugin yet? This whole picking a game from my vast library is giving me anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

post a list and I’ll pick one