Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MNIMWA posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardCityNews/status/1589623205722869760

It was actually unclear from the press conference whether the whole Bill 28 was going to be rescinded in this scenario or just the use of s.33. We'll have to see what the unions say at 11AM but I don't think this is enough of a climbdown by Dug

I really hope CUPE sees this as a sign of weakness and squeezes them for all they can. Dougo tried the nuclear option to force the union to take a poo poo deal, and then blinked. I hope they black his eye enough that this is remembered 100 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Randalor posted:

I really hope CUPE sees this as a sign of weakness and squeezes them for all they can. Dougo tried the nuclear option to force the union to take a poo poo deal, and then blinked. I hope they black his eye enough that this is remembered 100 years from now.

Honestly, fighting the "teachers unions" is so important to his base that he should just resign in shame after this embarrassment.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I’m on the exec board for my local (CUPE, but no education workers) and our president just called an emergency meeting for the exec tonight.

Never had this happen before in 4ish years of being a union rep

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The thought of a nurses strike just popped into my head, and I just realized how devastating a health care strike would be right around now.

Be aware that in health care, most of the direct care workers are classified as essential services and would not go out in a strike, on ethical grounds if not legal ones. What happens in health care is support services and clerical go out and management has to scrub toilets, which is fun. But the nurses, care aides, etc are not going to just walk on patients in any situation. (This did not help the care aides in BC in 2004 as they got their pay cut anyway)

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Another Bill posted:

Honestly, fighting the "teachers unions" is so important to his base that he should just resign in shame after this embarrassment.

Yeah, this was a test run against a related union to try this tact (Kory Teneyke or wahtever the gently caress admitted as much on PnP). That it exploded in their face probably means they'll just try some other way to crack the big teachers' (and nurses, and transit, and public sector) unions when those go into bargaining.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Randalor posted:

It's not blinking it's just the shittest possible offer, "I won't take away your right to strike if you agree not to strike".

The entire point is to allow room for a Totonto Star editorial to blame both sides.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/doug-ford-testify-emergencies-act-inquiry-1.6643015

They should be required to show up in person and say 'I invoke Parliamentary Privilege' to each and every question.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Capital Letdown posted:

I’m on the exec board for my local (CUPE, but no education workers) and our president just called an emergency meeting for the exec tonight.

Never had this happen before in 4ish years of being a union rep

The locals I work with are all scrambling to put something together the last few days, for support and solidarity, if not outright sympathy strikes. The broader Canadian organization for another industry altogether has been working round the clock since last week getting people together on this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

It's not blinking it's just the shittest possible offer, "I won't take away your right to strike if you agree not to strike".

The entire point is to allow room for a Totonto Star editorial to blame both sides.

Toronto Star was going to "Both Sides" the whole thing anyways, and I'm not sure how it's not blinking (the shittiest possible offer was "Lmao, get back to work, no you can't strike", and they told him to gently caress off and went on strike anyways.) Now he's backpeddling and trying to do damage control, and CUPE is in a much stronger position than before he tried the nuclear option because both they and Ford know that the general public is on CUPE's side.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Randalor posted:

Toronto Star was going to "Both Sides" the whole thing anyways, and I'm not sure how it's not blinking (the shittiest possible offer was "Lmao, get back to work, no you can't strike", and they told him to gently caress off and went on strike anyways.) Now he's backpeddling and trying to do damage control, and CUPE is in a much stronger position than before he tried the nuclear option because both they and Ford know that the general public is on CUPE's side.

This is funniest part to me, because Ford and his advisors are so loving stupid they didn't realize that using NWS gives them nowhere else to go if it doesn't work.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Randalor posted:

Toronto Star was going to "Both Sides" the whole thing anyways

Yeah before this it was just "wow education workers don't care about kids wowowow" that pops up any time a public service that provides actual good dares stand up for itself (education, healthcare, etc.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, had he not done the stupidest possible thing, he might not have pissed off literally every single union.

He has a massive, massive problem in that he's made an enemy of all organized labour, and they are out for blood.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

PT6A posted:

Also, had he not done the stupidest possible thing, he might not have pissed off literally every single union.

He has a massive, massive problem in that he's made an enemy of all organized labour, and they are out for blood.

Joke's on you (us), CUPE just announced they're ending the strike

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Yeah they’re saying they got bill 28 repealed, strike is dismantling tomorrow.

Doesn’t this just put us to exactly where we were last week? It’s not like Ontario is gonna form bargain in good faith right?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Strike is over, or picketing is over?

And they said something about it being annulled, not repealed. Acknowledged that it was never a valid law in force to begin with.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

abuse culture. posted:

Joke's on you (us), CUPE just announced they're ending the strike

People in this forum often build narratives in their head that's nowhere close to reality

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

Strike is over, or picketing is over?

From what I understand, the strike is over because the government is repealling the bill that triggered the strike in the first place. So basically, CUPE and the government are going back to the bargaining table.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Fart Amplifier posted:

People in this forum often build narratives in their head that's nowhere close to reality

Narratives or not, I can't see how this isn't a colossal own goal by CUPE. It turns a massive fuckup by Ford into a victory for him. And that doesn't even account for the fact that it clearly demonstrates that the usage of the notwithstanding clause worked, because labour blinked.

I dunno, maybe there's some stuff that we don't know yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Randalor posted:

From what I understand, the strike is over because the government is repealling the bill that triggered the strike in the first place. So basically, CUPE and the government are going back to the bargaining table.

Yeah, they clarified that workers will be back on the job tomorrow.

So, back to the bargaining table, and in a legal strike position.

Lemony posted:

Narratives or not, I can't see how this isn't a colossal own goal by CUPE. It turns a massive fuckup by Ford into a victory for him. And that doesn't even account for the fact that it clearly demonstrates that the usage of the notwithstanding clause worked, because labour blinked.

I dunno, maybe there's some stuff that we don't know yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

How is this not a victory for CUPE? One day of strike action, and the government folded completely. "We have to completely withdraw the bill we put down, and go back to the bargaining table we just passed a law to avoid going to" doesn't seem to be a Ford victory.

Also nice to see the Union reps answering questions directly, and often with simple 'yes' or 'no' answers.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 7, 2022

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lemony posted:

In what possible way could you view this as a Ford victory?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Douglas Ford is a loving BITCH MADE COWARD

No spine, no balls, no brain. Just a sack of meat

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

In what possible way could you view this as a Ford victory?

The way it's going to be spun in the narrative put out by the right? Sure, he wasn't able to use the clause to force a unilateral contract on the union. But I suspect the story will be that he made a hard choice to use the clause to ensure schools stayed open, for the children. Then, he magnanimously offered to rescind the clause if the union went back to work. The union did go back to work, so obviously it was a success.

To clarify, that isn't how I see things, but I'd bet that'll be the primary narrative coming out of the provincial government. I can see how the union might view this as a victory, but as things stand I don't think I do. poo poo was falling apart for Ford very quickly and this lets him put out one of the fires temporarily. It's not like this will magically make his government actually negotiate in good faith. If the union gets in a position during negotiations where they feel like they have to strike again, it's probably going to be significantly harder to gain broad public support.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
It seems to me like if they had continued the illegal strike after shithead rescinded the bill, they would have lost a lot of their public support. I hope they don't back down on their demands though.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Lemony posted:

The way it's going to be spun in the narrative put out by the right? Sure, he wasn't able to use the clause to force a unilateral contract on the union. But I suspect the story will be that he made a hard choice to use the clause to ensure schools stayed open, for the children. Then, he magnanimously offered to rescind the clause if the union went back to work. The union did go back to work, so obviously it was a success.

To clarify, that isn't how I see things, but I'd bet that'll be the primary narrative coming out of the provincial government. I can see how the union might view this as a victory, but as things stand I don't think I do. poo poo was falling apart for Ford very quickly and this lets him put out one of the fires temporarily. It's not like this will magically make his government actually negotiate in good faith. If the union gets in a position during negotiations where they feel like they have to strike again, it's probably going to be significantly harder to gain broad public support.

A) This is 100% a victory for the union. They defied the law and forced the government to void a piece of legislation that outlawed collective bargaining.

B) Unions don't answer to broad public support, they answer to their membership. Broad public support is not the purpose of the exercise.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Coward Douglas Ford flinched super hard. If he bails on his promise now, a general strike is guaranteed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Douglas Ford is a loving BITCH MADE COWARD

No spine, no balls, no brain. Just a sack of meat

You know, I've always thought this kind of narrative is counterproductive. Insulting somebody for not riding a bad decision to death would seem to just encourage people to dig in and ride bad decisions to, you know, death.

It's a good thing that Ford realized that he was going to lose this fight, and not fight it anyway to the detriment of the entire province.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

You know, I've always thought this kind of narrative is counterproductive. Insulting somebody for not riding a bad decision to death would seem to just encourage people to dig in and ride bad decisions to, you know, death.

It's a good thing that Ford realized that he was going to lose this fight, and not fight it anyway to the detriment of the entire province.

Counterpoint

Douglas Ford is a Coward. He was born a Coward, he will die a Coward. He's a waste of organic material, and my hate for him burns hotter than nuclear fission. He's directly responsible for hundreds of deaths during COVID due to his cowardice and stupidity and i will never forgive him for that.

He's not good enough for the piss I'll spill on his grave.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Unions answer to their membership. Broad public support is what lets you win strikes, because it's what prevents the government from just pulling bullshit to break you. That's less the case if you go back to when unions were willing to break poo poo and take direct action against things like attempts to cross picket lines, but I'd wager the majority of people don't want to go back to that.

Look, I'm no expert, I could very easily be wrong. If thread consensus is that this is a major union victory, then maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

A) This is 100% a victory for the union. They defied the law and forced the government to void a piece of legislation that outlawed collective bargaining.

B) Unions don't answer to broad public support, they answer to their membership. Broad public support is not the purpose of the exercise.

They don’t have a contract, they are back in the same position as they were last week with a strike off the table for the immediate future. The government they are negotiating with / against didn’t change. If there was more in the background around negotiations, then happy to say I’m wrong on this, but on the face of it this seems like the government bill worked to take the strike off the table.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/CBCPitchbot/status/1589626455260303360

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Jordan7hm posted:

They don’t have a contract, they are back in the same position as they were last week with a strike off the table for the immediate future. The government they are negotiating with / against didn’t change. If there was more in the background around negotiations, then happy to say I’m wrong on this, but on the face of it this seems like the government bill worked to take the strike off the table.

Strike is not off the table. They continue to be in a legal strike position. They could walk back out on Friday if they wanted to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

Strike is not off the table. They continue to be in a legal strike position.

Public opinion on said strike gonna turn badly against them after they agree to end the strike if the bill is repealed. When the legal, doesn’t use notwithstanding clause, back to work legislation comes through the union is not going to have public support.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Jordan7hm posted:

Public opinion on said strike gonna turn badly against them after they agree to end the strike if the bill is repealed. When the legal, doesn’t use notwithstanding clause, back to work legislation comes through the union is not going to have public support.

Yes but back to work legislation usually if not always (I believe?) includes binding arbitration. Binding arbitration is a win for the union.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

Yes but back to work legislation usually if not always includes binding arbitration. Binding arbitration is a win for the union.

If your goal as a union is to get the government to do back to work legislation you may have lost the plot somewhere.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I don't know why everyone is so hung up on public support.

You're casting a lot of opinions about what may happen re: public support when collective bargaining has been recognized a a Charter right by the Supreme Court.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I see it as the union having Ford's balls in a vice and not twisting until they pop, which is bad imo, but that's my rather limited and vindictive view on the matter.

I hope they get all that they want and more, and the ever-encroaching threat of a completely powerless labour force is pushed back by these actions.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Honestly all this hand wringing about what may happen to public support if the union exercises their right to strike is some of the most Lib poo poo I've ever heard and you all should be ashamed.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

Honestly all this hand wringing about what may happen to public support if the union exercises their right to strike is some of the most Lib poo poo I've ever heard and you all should be ashamed.

You should address specific points by specific posters instead of doing what you are doing.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lemony posted:

Unions answer to their membership. Broad public support is what lets you win strikes, because it's what prevents the government from just pulling bullshit to break you. That's less the case if you go back to when unions were willing to break poo poo and take direct action against things like attempts to cross picket lines, but I'd wager the majority of people don't want to go back to that.

Look, I'm no expert, I could very easily be wrong. If thread consensus is that this is a major union victory, then maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Speaking as a union rep, you're looking for razorblades in your pillowcases. It's important to take your victories when you get them and enjoy it, not beat yourself up over how much better it could have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Another Bill posted:

I don't know why everyone is so hung up on public support.

You're casting a lot of opinions about what may happen re: public support when collective bargaining has been recognized a a Charter right by the Supreme Court.

Also this. The support of your members is what matters and is what empowers your actions, not the opinion of Derek from down the street. Derek isn't going to be picketing Stephen Lecce's office with you in the arse-end of January, and he's not going to be writing to his MP to tell him to stop being a oval office.