Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Athe same time, the Biden administration probably doesn't want this thing to last forever. The Republicans are not going to cut him off completely, but "accountability" is going to be a tricky issue considering what we know about where arms shipments are actually going. I could see them giving Biden some "rope" initially and then raise hell when some weapons obviously go missing.

They're going to want it to keep going just as long as they feel they are effectively damaging Russia with it. I can only guess at their internal calculus for effectiveness but I'm assuming that right now the only real consideration is whether the funding is actually harming Russia geopolitically or whether it is just being siphoned off by oligarchs and allied groups, hence the "accountability" you mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about a good way to explain what happened in terms readily comparable to the English-speaking world and I think I have one.

Canada has an Irish culture totally at odds, as in diametrically opposed, to how it's understood in Ireland and the rest of the English-speaking world. The reason is that Canada all-but banned immigration of Irish Catholics but went out of the way to encourage the immigration of Irish Protestants so that uniquely the vast majority of Irish in (English) Canada are Proddies. This is opposed to the demographics of the two Irelands, past and present, but also contrasts with Australia, who received mostly transported Irish Catholics and the US, which received mostly Irish Catholics fleeing the Great Famine. Even during the Great Famine, when there was a great deal of traffic to Montreal, what Irish Catholics that landed here went to the States as soon as they were able, or stayed in Montreal if they were too poor or sick to travel to the US.

So, what it means to be "Irish" in Canada (the Belfast of the North) is very different than what it means anywhere else, just like what it means to be "Ukrainian" in Canada is very different than what it meant in the majority of Ukraine. We have an Irish culture created by Ulstermen in the image of Ulster, similarly we have allowed Galicians to create a picture of Ukraine in the image of Galicia. Canadian Irish were militant supporters of the Orange Order, the Political activities of the Ukrainian diaspora here are well known. Iirc Canadian support for the UDR/RUC and Crown was much higher than it ever was for the IRA and I only ever heard the IRA referred to as terrorists, in the media and by everyone I knew, growing up in the 90's and 2000's. In the same way that being Irish means to fight for King and Country, the Ukrainian "national struggle" as understood here, means to have fought against the USSR, rather than having been part of it.

Most, and by that it's got to be 90% these days, of Canadians are oblivious to this, because how would they know? We have Irish bars, just like Australia and the US, and how would you know which names are Scots Gaelic instead of Irish or that the Red Hand of Ulster is not the kind of ticky tacky Irish pub decoration found in Ireland? It's totally normal for the Union Jack to be generic pub decoration in Irish pubs and nobody would really think about that or even notice. As far as anyone here is concerned, that's just what Irish culture is, it's uncontroversial. "Irish" dress here is as often as not Lowland Scot, most places have "Scottish and Irish" Stores (so, Scots-Irish), but who is going to know if people wear trews in Ireland? You just go there to get plum pudding to bring to Christmas or to look for a tartan scarf or cable knit sweater, or an outfit for a wedding, and there's not much to it.

Same thing with Ukraine. People see flower crowns and "national costume" and hear the "national story" and that's it. Ukrainian culture is pretty common in Canada, I grew up knowing pierogis as varenyky, and understanding all Ukrainians are Catholic, and that's all there was to it.

So, you know, these things happen. People aren't going to interrogate these assumptions and it lets a lot of stuff go by under the radar.

something something all punjabis are sikh.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1589528686591897601

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

something something all punjabis are sikh.

I'm not even going to touch how strong that is in Canada because ho boy. More Sikhs here than in India iirc, largest Indian group in Canada, and incredibly politically influential. Sikhs registered as NDP members en masse to ensure the leadership of a major political party by a Sikh, and now we can't get rid of Jagmeet Singh. Sikh Separatism, is a whole thing here, fundraising networks and all, responsible for Canada's largest terrorist attack.

Washington Post, 2019: Fringe Sikh interests have outsize influence in Canada. Why is no one pushing back?

I'm starting to think Canada acts as Sore Loser Island or something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Those mathematical skills are endemic to Ukraine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

He is a former boxer

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

They're going to want it to keep going just as long as they feel they are effectively damaging Russia with it. I can only guess at their internal calculus for effectiveness but I'm assuming that right now the only real consideration is whether the funding is actually harming Russia geopolitically or whether it is just being siphoned off by oligarchs and allied groups, hence the "accountability" you mention.

The problem is if the war itself is damaging the West in way that it really doesn't want to have to sustain. The damage being done to the Russia military very well simply not be sustainable in its current form, less because of funding, but because putting pressure on Western economies that can't be easily addressed. You can destroy some Russians tanks etc, but that very well may be fairly minor in the broader calculus as much broader supply issues are gathering pace and interest rates are getting to where a recession may turn into effectively a depression.

A lot of it depends on rates, and that the Fed (along with other major economies) may have to strangle their respective economies to get inflation under control, and the longer the war goes there is going to be a distortion in energy markets and broader global trade.

It may not be public opinion that ends the war, but that there is very real material damage being done to Western economies.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Nov 7, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Republicans are just going to make the consequences for the war a Dem issue even if the dems lose both houses. The dems messaging is so weak they wont even try to contest it

If the war is still going on by 2024 theyll make it an issue against bidens melted brain even if they keep voting for funding

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2022/11/7/russia-ukraine-live-updates-zelenskyy-warns-of-more-attacks

more mobilization kicking in

quote:

Putin has said that 50,000 reservists called up as part of his “partial mobilisation” drive are now involved in active fighting within combat units in Ukraine, according to a report by Russia’s Interfax news agency.

The Russian leader reportedly said a total of 80,000 of the reservists were “in the zone of the special military operation” – the term Moscow uses for its invasion – with the remainder of the more than 300,000 called up since late September still in training camps.

“We now have 50,000 in their combat units … the rest are not taking part in the fighting yet,” Interfax quoted Putin as saying during a visit to the Tver region, outside Moscow.

Ukrainians have really been sold a bridge, um, so to speak

quote:

The majority of Ukrainians (88 percent) have said they believe their country will be a prosperous member of the European Union in a decade, according to a poll published by the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology on Monday.

Ukraine applied for membership of the EU shortly after Russia launched a full-scale invasion in February and Kyiv was granted candidate status in June.

The invasion has killed thousands of civilians and devastated vast tracts of territory and infrastructure.

The poll surveyed 1,000 respondents across Ukraine with the exception of the annexed peninsula of Crimea and other areas that were occupied by Russian proxies before Feb. 24 when Moscow launched its invasion.

Ukrainians were optimistic about their chances of joining the EU even in the east of the country, which has seen particularly heavy fighting, the poll found.

Seventy-six percent of respondents there saw the future of their country in the EU. Only 5 percent said they believed the war would ultimately leave the country with a destroyed economy and provoke a large exodus of Ukrainians.

Yes, Zelenskyy's stated negotiating position continues to be "maybe someone should kill putin"

quote:

Kyiv has never refused to negotiate with Moscow and it is ready for talks with Russia’s future leader, but not with Vladimir Putin, a senior adviser to Ukraine’s president has said.

The comments on Twitter by Mykhailo Podolyak followed a Washington Post report on Saturday that said the administration of US President Joe Biden was privately encouraging Ukrainian leaders to signal an openness to negotiate with Moscow.

“Ukraine has never refused to negotiate. Our negotiating position is known and open,” Podolyak wrote on Twitter, saying that Russia should first withdraw its troops from Ukraine.

“Is Putin ready? Obviously not. Therefore, we are constructive in our assessment: we will talk with the next leader of [Russia].”

nationalising wartime industries, hmm

quote:

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said that a move by Ukraine’s government to take control of stakes in a top engine maker and four other strategic companies was needed to meet the country’s urgent wartime needs.

“Such steps, which are necessary for our country in conditions of war, are carried out in accordance with current laws and will help meet the urgent needs of our defence sector,” Zelenskyy said in a Telegram post.

“In these difficult times, we must direct all our forces to liberate our land and people, [and] support the Ukrainian army,” he added.

[...]

Ukraine’s government has invoked wartime laws to take control of stakes in a top engine maker and four other strategic companies, according to officials, signalling its most dramatic wartime intervention into big businesses.

The companies included engine maker Motor Sich, energy companies Ukrnafta and Ukrtatnafta, vehicle maker AvtoKrAZ and transformer maker Zaporizhtransformator.

The decision was taken at a meeting of top security officials chaired by Zelenskyy on Saturday and went into effect on Sunday, placing the privately held stakes under the control of the defence ministry, three top officials said. The officials did not elaborate on the size of the stakes that had been taken over.

“At the end of the military state [martial law] … the assets can be returned to their owners or appropriately compensated at their value,” Oleksiy Danilov, the secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, told a news conference called to announce the move.

Danilov was joined at the news conference by Oleksii Reznikov, Ukraine’s defence minister, and Denys Shmyhal, the country’s prime minister.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Nov 7, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Ukrainian energy infrastructure is declining but and at the same time every Russian missile targeting energy infrastructure is either missing or being shot down. so presumably the energy infrastructure issues have an unrelated cause.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Truga posted:

well would you look at that, it's the same map again
what are the odds

mildly suprised to see blue checks in australia and no blue checks in argentina

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh my God

It all makes sense now.

e: Tricked by the wily Spaniards. Still weird that wikipedia has a template for the Ulster banner and Canadian flag combined though.

lmao never seen those before, though makes sense with the o neils (of ulster) being a big part of the flight of the earls.

Frosted Flake posted:

:psyduck:

To give people an idea of how the Troubles were reported here by the Paper of Record:

That's right, one month after 9/11, our concern was the deadly Irish Republican Army.

Very funny stuff, don't worry they haven't gone away.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

quote:

A Ukrainian official accuses Russian forces of looting empty homes in the southern city of Kherson and occupying them with soldiers wearing civilian clothes to prepare for street fighting in what both sides predict will be one of the war’s most important battles.

sure doesn't seem good for Ukraine to be setting the stage for "people who look like civilians are actually combatants" ahead of the kherson fight

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

nationalising wartime industries, hmm
No they're not, this is only targeting people that are already wanted or under arrest by the government.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

No they're not, this is only targeting people that are already wanted or under arrest by the government.

good thing they don't have a track record of expanding that definition arbitrarily

but for now:

quote:

Ukraine’s government has invoked wartime laws to take control of stakes in a top engine maker and four other strategic companies, according to officials, signalling its most dramatic wartime intervention into big businesses.

The companies included engine maker Motor Sich, energy companies Ukrnafta and Ukrtatnafta, vehicle maker AvtoKrAZ and transformer maker Zaporizhtransformator.

The decision was taken at a meeting of top security officials chaired by Zelenskyy on Saturday and went into effect on Sunday, placing the privately held stakes under the control of the defence ministry, three top officials said. The officials did not elaborate on the size of the stakes that had been taken over.

“At the end of the military state [martial law] … the assets can be returned to their owners or appropriately compensated at their value,” Oleksiy Danilov, the secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, told a news conference called to announce the move.

Danilov was joined at the news conference by Oleksii Reznikov, Ukraine’s defence minister, and Denys Shmyhal, the country’s prime minister.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

mildly suprised to see blue checks in australia and no blue checks in argentina

I think Peronism sucked a lot of the air out of the room when it came to that sort of thing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

good thing they don't have a track record of expanding that definition arbitrarily

but for now:

I already posted it pages ago, this is purely a political play.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I already posted it pages ago, this is purely a political play.

i don't know what you're arguing with. i probably agree

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

same.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the habit this guy has of posting stuff like "99 out of 100 missiles were shot down, and 99 substations mysteriously exploded today" has become kind of a running joke for a lot of the more russian-aligned twitter types

speng31b has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Nov 7, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the nafo derangement about BJG continues unabated, and gets funnier

https://twitter.com/dolphin3njoyer/status/1589651440028758016?s=20&t=-KU9GWQ3cC4ikLZFGz7ILw

"honorary POC" nafos telling BJG she false flagged the racism in her own replies is some big brained stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Person of Carpathia

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Person of Caucasus

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

if you don't support endless lethal aid to ukraine, you ain't black

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is there a big "cost of ukraine aid" ticker (like the national debt ticker) I can smugly send to all my fiscally-conservative-blood-liberal irl associates? seeking to exploit inescapable contradictions in political ideologies. all the conservatives I know already think ukraine is a scam

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

More Sikhs here than in India iirc, largest Indian group in Canada,

there are nearly more sikhs in india than there are people in canada

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

i say swears online posted:

:owned:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do the dishes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pfff, Canada isn't a real country, that's not an achievement. There's more people in Tokyo than Canada.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

the nafo derangement about BJG continues unabated, and gets funnier

https://twitter.com/dolphin3njoyer/status/1589651440028758016?s=20&t=-KU9GWQ3cC4ikLZFGz7ILw

"honorary POC" nafos telling BJG she false flagged the racism in her own replies is some big brained stuff

"honorary POC" is literally making me angry

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

More Sikhs here than in India iirc

???????

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
lol
https://twitter.com/business/status/1589643858622963713

Yyyyup, this is what a more unified Europe looks like.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

i say swears online posted:

Might have meant per capita, idk.

e: yeah, they're 1.72% of India as of 2011, 2.1% of Canada as of 2021.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Nov 7, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, if they were shot down they still had to land somewhere. The shot down missiles just happened to fall on the energy facilities. I don't see what is so confusing about this? Perhaps you vatniks don't understand basic gravity?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you think we'll get any Russian operators in Modern Warfare 2 or are games staying away from Russians because of real-world events?

maybe now we can finally get Bad Company 3 since BC2 ended with the Russian invasion of Texas

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

:psyduck:

To give people an idea of how the Troubles were reported here by the Paper of Record:

That's right, one month after 9/11, our concern was the deadly Irish Republican Army.

Its a shame the US was too baby brained in their attempts to conqeror Canada

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

must have been per capita.

Though outlier opinion, I love the Regimental and RCMP turbans and I hope we get more Sikhs under the colours.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Ukrainian energy infrastructure is declining but and at the same time every Russian missile targeting energy infrastructure is either missing or being shot down. so presumably the energy infrastructure issues have an unrelated cause.

Obviously the recent privatization push has killed all maintenance to the system. These are just routine totoally not related to the war

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the US must denazify Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tristeham posted:

the US must denazify Canada

Ok, but same deal here. Someone's gonna need to denazify US after.