Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Last I had heard the fans were the original developers but maybe that changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

an iksar marauder posted:

iksar monk is the ultimate eq1 character

Truth. Best animations for nearly everything.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

an iksar marauder posted:

Everquest was a chatroom where you sometimes killed a goblin, now you just hang out on discord and play actual good games together

my fav was the play sessions that were 5-6 hours of trying to recover your corpse

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
God forbid you died in Fear or VP. Fear took an entire guild to clear and VP was a one way trip.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Dark and darker is free this week end again.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

Dark and darker is free this week end again.

Hell yeah

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

there is a free game on epic store, final day today

it is called 40k Mechanicus and has a great soundtrack

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

there is a free game on epic store, final day today

it is called 40k Mechanicus and has a great soundtrack

Final day was yesterday.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If people are mentioning free warhammer games, vermintide2 is free to download on steam for the next few days, recommended pickup.

It has all the exp grinding and forced social interaction you play mmo's for too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's the name of that failed Sci-Fi third person shooter MMO from like a decade back? It was in beta/early access forever, the game was originally supposed to revolve around guarding mining machines from hordes to upgrade your gear, the premium currency was called "red beans", the CEO spent a crazy amount of money on a tricked out buss to take to conventions, you had jetpacks, felt like a precursor to Anthem in a lot of ways. It's crazy how much I can remember about this game without remembering the name. I guess Wildstar is just occupying all of my brain's failed scifi mmo namespace.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can only think of Tabula Rasa, but I don't think that's the one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

THE BAR posted:

I can only think of Tabula Rasa, but I don't think that's the one.

I liked the bit of that I played in beta but I never bought it so I guess it's my fault it died. rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NMlvij7SQ

e: I can remember the name of this track from the Tabula Rasa soundtrack, but not the name of a game I followed the development of for years :psyduck:

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 5, 2022

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

What's the name of that failed Sci-Fi third person shooter MMO from like a decade back? It was in beta/early access forever, the game was originally supposed to revolve around guarding mining machines from hordes to upgrade your gear, the premium currency was called "red beans", the CEO spent a crazy amount of money on a tricked out buss to take to conventions, you had jetpacks, felt like a precursor to Anthem in a lot of ways. It's crazy how much I can remember about this game without remembering the name. I guess Wildstar is just occupying all of my brain's failed scifi mmo namespace.

Firefall

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Man what a poo poo game that turned out to be. And I absolutely, completely forgot I played it.

There are a lot of those lurking in the back of my brain. Who remembers Auto Assault?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

kedo posted:

Man what a poo poo game that turned out to be. And I absolutely, completely forgot I played it.

There are a lot of those lurking in the back of my brain. Who remembers Auto Assault?

After the enjoyment of Interstate '76 and Twisted Metal. Ya Auto Assault was doomed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ah yes

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Firefall had gliding which more games should have.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kedo posted:

My Auto Assault story is they I played the open beta and said "Nope, not purchasing it." Then several months after the game had completely shut down my local Best Buy was selling the Deluxe Edition, or whatever it was called, for four dollars so I bought it for the soundtrack CD.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed the Auto Assault Beta.... for a couple hours, then completely lost interest

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

I love that googling firefall brings up the suggestion "what did the firefall bus cost?"

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I wonder where it ended up.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I remember one pax back in 2011 me and a friend accidentally stumbled into their staff party at a bar

the ceo gave us a really passive aggressive telling off -- but there was no signage or anything indicating it was reserved for them

I'm now realizing thats because they'd spent it all on the bus

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

I love that googling firefall brings up the suggestion "what did the firefall bus cost?"

As a Cosplayer that looks like a crap ton of cheap EVA foam. The Logo looks a bit better, I assume the bus cosplay just fell apart after PAX.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

get in the bus shinji

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

blatman posted:

get in the bus shinji

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
is that a brony train

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's Train Unit 01

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

The death of any mmo or live service game with "fall" in the title continues

https://massivelyop.com/2022/11/07/crowfall-is-going-offline-on-november-22-supposedly-for-further-development-work/

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
We really need a special stickied graveyard thread in the subforum for all the fallen heroes.

Official:
https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/Crowfall-Update

Goodbye, Crows!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

We really need a special stickied graveyard thread in the subforum for all the fallen heroes.

Official:
https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/Crowfall-Update

Goodbye, Crows!

There is absolutely no world in which this ever comes back online.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pryce posted:

There is absolutely no world in which this ever comes back online.

Maybe it can have a fate worse than death...Gamigo buys it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I actually enjoyed this game, but yeah it didn't have any staying power at all. Got to the level cap and then quit. As did everyone else.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The blog post is bizarre. They are saying that running the game takes so much development effort they need to take it down to make improvements. Which like.... How

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

30.5 Days posted:

The blog post is bizarre. They are saying that running the game takes so much development effort they need to take it down to make improvements. Which like.... How

Don't have to fix bugs if nobody is filing bug reports (because nobody is playing) :v:

Or they're just lying. That seems likelier.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Or it's poor automation, like daily work to clear logs and consulate database stuff and other busywork people made for themselves to look important, and once the game had launched half those people got sacked and still nobody knows how to keep the game from imploding when they push even a tiny update.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Third World Reagan posted:

I play only bad games

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

What about Foxhole?

There is no character progression so its not technically an MMO, but I have not yet decided if it is bad or good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
foxhole is insanely good and the only reason i don't play it exclusively is because there's other insanely good games out there

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I promise not to poo poo up this thread with Twitter drama but this gave me a good chuckle:

https://twitter.com/mikedrucker/status/1590888423308812288?s=46&t=L5H_hp3b97RlnzMJUEwFAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kaysette posted:

I promise not to poo poo up this thread with Twitter drama but this gave me a good chuckle:

https://twitter.com/mikedrucker/status/1590888423308812288?s=46&t=L5H_hp3b97RlnzMJUEwFAw

lmao