Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
UO was super freeform, which was a boon for the grogs that had the time to invest, but not as welcoming for newbs.
EQ came out when internet access was hitting the mainstream (99) so it also had a bit wider playerbase.

Basically the X Walked So Y can Run meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Everquest is getting an expansion in December.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I really wish someone would set up a server for the old Neverwinter Nights on AOL. So much I never got to do before it got shut down. Of course I started playing just as AOL went unlimited so Lord Nasher was always blocking the gates, and would wait for sometimes hours mashing the retry button.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Neito posted:

UO's still going, though. I think the only MMOs with any claim to being anywhere near as long are FFXI and WoW.

Anarchy Online still exists (somehow).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Majere posted:

I really wish someone would set up a server for the old Neverwinter Nights on AOL. So much I never got to do before it got shut down. Of course I started playing just as AOL went unlimited so Lord Nasher was always blocking the gates, and would wait for sometimes hours mashing the retry button.

Someone did a version of it with the non-MMO Neverwinter Nights.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

quantumfoam posted:

Anarchy Online still exists (somehow).

I did the beta for that and remember thinking the UI was loving terrible.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also yeah there are a surprising amount of games still alive from the golden age of MMOs.

And EverQuest may be the best true adaptation of DnD into an MMO/video game experience.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thomamelas posted:

Someone did a version of it with the non-MMO Neverwinter Nights.

Oh cool is it the Rosedragon site? Frua.rosedragon.org

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Majere posted:

Oh cool is it the Rosedragon site? Frua.rosedragon.org

No idea. I only saw it in passing long ago.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
West Edmonton Mall: The Official Souvenir Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dmcaStN6jI

This poo poo is wonderful. I had family in Edmonton so every summer we'd go up and I could wander the mall, see the pirate ship, go on a rollercoaster, shop at the sweet goth wizard sword shop:

Malls are a 90s thing, probably more an 80s thing. I don't think I've been to a mall in years.

There's a lot of nostalgia here wow
https://youtube.com/c/BestEdmontonMall

Antioch has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Oct 15, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Royal Ooze was my nickname in high school.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
we've got a huge mall where I live and we still go sometimes, even just to walk around (it's nice in the summer when it's like 110 here)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
We have one true mall here. The rest (at least 3) died or got repurposed into that lovely cookie-cutter outdoor mall concept template with the same garbage franchise restaurants.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Majere posted:

I mean if you're wanting a text-based D&D MMO in forgotten realms, Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition persistent world servers are kind of that lol. Albeit with dungeon masters.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Would make a powerful Username and avatar combo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dialhforhero posted:

Also yeah there are a surprising amount of games still alive from the golden age of MMOs.

And EverQuest may be the best true adaptation of DnD into an MMO/video game experience.

Yeah, EQ and EQ2 are both still around and getting regular releases. It's probably some kind of tipping point where if an mmo can last 7-8 years it'll never need to be shut down from the steady stream of nostalgia subs rotating in and out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mactheknife posted:

we've got a huge mall where I live and we still go sometimes, even just to walk around (it's nice in the summer when it's like 110 here)

I miss malls tbh. It feels like very successive shopping paradigm somehow becomes even worse and more antisocial than the one before it. Hell, it was just a fun place to walk around as a kid. So many places are hostile as gently caress to kids nowadays it's wild.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Seattle area has many well attended malls. It's good, but still not the same as what I remember.

The first track on this vaporwave album is some nice ambient mall sounds: https://catsystemcorp.bandcamp.com/album/palm-mall
If you like that, I also recommend the albums Hiraeth, Sunday Television, and News at 11.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Just got it today, how about a Nagel-style painting of Cindy Crawford

Signed and dated

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ishikabibble posted:

I'd also disagree with it just being a queerphobia thing. The general themes of melodrama and fashionable depression also got ragged on in other genres that had nothing to do with popularity among girls or genderbending fashion.
'CRAWWWLIIING INNN MY SKIIIINNN' was such an insanely common thing to see when people are making fun of folks rocking emo aesthetics. And Linkin Park barely had anything to do with the pop emo bands besides the melodramatic lyrics.

Hell - :emo: is a relic from exactly that.

Yeah, I’d be remiss to mention that more contemporary criticisms of the genre often point out how a lot of its stereotype themes and tropes, whether fairly or unfairly, could be seen as romanticizing or normalizing toxic and abusive behaviors.

Like there was a meme going around a few years ago that was basically variations on “find some random Emo/Screamo lyrics, now imagine a college undergraduate saying these things over the phone to his long-distance girlfriend because she told him she can’t come visit for spring break”/etc

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

I mean if you're wanting a text-based D&D MMO in forgotten realms, Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition persistent world servers are kind of that lol. Albeit with dungeon masters.

Nah I want to find the greybeards who worked on it originally.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1588498665072906240

One of the shots has a poster for the movie Black Rainbow which came out in 1989, but according to Wikipedia was not finally released on home video until Jan 1992, so these photos are probably from winter/spring of '92.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Porfiriato posted:

One of the shots has a poster for the movie Black Rainbow which came out in 1989, but according to Wikipedia was not finally released on home video until Jan 1992, so these photos are probably from winter/spring of '92.

I didn't grow up in a Wegman's area, but goddamn if that didn't hit me right in the feels

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love the Sega Genesis section in the picture.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Took me a bit to realize that isn't carpet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Porfiriato posted:

This is actually kind of fun nostalgia, there's also a poster for 29th street which came out Christmas '91 but didn't get a home release until summer of 93.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Porfiriato posted:

That guys jacket with the red triangle is peak early 90’s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

namlosh posted:

That guys jacket with the red triangle is peak early 90’s

I would rock that jacket now

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wonder if it's an ISPO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm enjoying the 90s revival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-RclcvHW9k

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't grow up in a Wegman's area, but goddamn if that didn't hit me right in the feels

Flashbacks to Shaws for me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Neito posted:

Flashbacks to Shaws for me.

gently caress yeah Shaws. I love going there when I visit my mom.

The other ones from my childhood were King Kullen (Long Island) and Food Lion (when I visited my grandparents in FL)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Pathmark, A&P, and Grand Union were my childhood staples.

Oh, and when I lived in NYC, I used to get my lunch from the Food Emprium under the Queensboro Bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-WLt__jdE It's from '88, but that played on heavy rotation on PIX11 through the mid '90s.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tribbledirigible posted:

Oh, and when I lived in NYC, I used to get my lunch from the Food Emprium under the Queensboro Bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-WLt__jdE It's from '88, but that played on heavy rotation on PIX11 through the mid '90s.

to quote austin walker, "there are so many smiling white people in this commercial"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

tribbledirigible posted:

Well holy gently caress that’s one I’d forgotten in a dark dusty corner of my brain. Now it’s shiny and new again just like it’s 1989 again.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm not gonna read the whole thread, but I assume someone already posted a pic of me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Loving the babby hand on the keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007