Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1589389873202417664

Farhan. Bro. You have lots of money to spend. Pay this man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

Quarter Zip Pullover, Champs hat, wife will get a Yuli WS Champ jersey, I'll get some dress socks if I can find them.

I'm also going to do my damndest to get a print of that Chas Picture and get it signed.

I'm going to Philly for Army-Navy in a few weeks and I gotta be DECKED OUT

Which quarter zip did you get? I’ve worn the same Majestic brand 1/4 Hoodie Pullover since 2016/2017 and it’s getting super worn out. It’s not one of the weird thin golf-style ones, it’s a nice waffle-knit that iirc was their batting practice/bench hoodie because it’s got the stitched line you can cut to make it a short sleeve.

I’d kill for a 1:1 replacement, but I can’t find one and I hate the new thin pullovers.

ed: This one. Only difference is the player number patch on the right breast.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 7, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Which quarter zip did you get? I’ve worn the same Majestic brand 1/4 Hoodie Pullover since 2016/2017 and it’s getting super worn out. It’s not one of the weird thin golf-style ones, it’s a nice waffle-knit that iirc was their batting practice/bench hoodie because it’s got the stitched line you can cut to make it a short sleeve.

I’d kill for a 1:1 replacement, but I can’t find one and I hate the new thin pullovers.

I have a Vineyard Vines 2017 Champs Pullover but it looks like they don't have it this year. Peter Millar has a bunch too.

I got this one. https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/housto...AVE:i-r0c2:po-2

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 7, 2022

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The Pussy Boss posted:

I hope he gets paid. He played well for the WSox in 2021 and keeps betting on himself and winning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yankees should sign him just like they should've last offseason.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Grabbed an orange cap from MLB Shop/Fanatics; was going to get an orange jersey as well, but right now they're only selling the white ones with a WS champions patch

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think that the Mariners should make a shocking 10 year signing of Judge before he ends up on the Mets 5 seasons later in extremely Metsy circumstances.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Is this a record for earliest worst deal of the offseason?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paracaidas posted:

Is this a record for earliest worst deal of the offseason?

It's not a bad deal at all. They kept an impact player they couldn't lose and the money was sitting in Uncle Stevie's ashtray, who cares?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's a pretty whatever deal. Diaz is only a year removed from being a middle of the road reliver, and isn't really consistent year to year either. Paying a reliever like that, even a good one, is like paying a running back a huge contract. Yeah the Mets have the money but it's a bad allocation of resources

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nodoze posted:

It's a pretty whatever deal. Diaz is only a year removed from being a middle of the road reliver, and isn't really consistent year to year either. Paying a reliever like that, even a good one, is like paying a running back a huge contract. Yeah the Mets have the money but it's a bad allocation of resources

Like, if he's healthy for the entire contract and ends up being fine, the feeling at the end of the contract will be like they dodged a bullet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shiroc posted:

I think that the Mariners should make a shocking 10 year signing of Judge before he ends up on the Mets 5 seasons later in extremely Metsy circumstances.

I would not be opposed to this, if he produced for those five years.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

It's not a bad deal at all. They kept an impact player they couldn't lose and the money was sitting in Uncle Stevie's ashtray, who cares?
They can afford it so easily that more than a quarter of the deal is deferred money :thunk:. Mets and deferred money, relievers and longterm deals, four great tastes that taste great together.

Diaz can optout after year 3, which he will in a heartbeat if he's remotely close to worth the money... which itself would be beating extremely long odds. 60/3 is an aggressive deal for a closer but more in the realm of standard overpay that doesn't matter to a rich owner -- likely he'll never be "worth" that money, but he's one of the few people you'd bet on being a top 10 reliever each of those years and that's a luxury worth paying for for teams that can afford it.

Kimbrel's performance over his first deal is one of the better outcomes here, and even that saw two trades and half the money for a pitcher who had a much better track record of success. It's not unprecedented for a reliever to put up that sort of performance over 5 years after becoming FA eligible... you'd just have to be pretty drat sure Diaz is Mo or Andrew Miller and not Champan, Iglasies, Jansen, Holland, Gagné, or any of their ilk. The extreme flyball pitcher who'd had 1.5 seasons worth close to this money until posting the two lowest HR/FB seasons of his career is one of the last people I'd place that bet on. Relievers are by nature volatile, and he's an obvious regression candidate on top of it. Instead they've given away the deal's limited upside and guaranteed they get to own every second of the downside with the NTC.

Happy for Diaz and for all of us though. Narco kicks rear end and lolmets ensures we'll get 3 or 5 years of Taps ft Timmy Trumpet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So are the Red Sox going to let Bogaerts walk or what

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yea

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

They can afford it so easily that more than a quarter of the deal is deferred money :thunk:. Mets and deferred money, relievers and longterm deals, four great tastes that taste great together.

Diaz can optout after year 3, which he will in a heartbeat if he's remotely close to worth the money... which itself would be beating extremely long odds. 60/3 is an aggressive deal for a closer but more in the realm of standard overpay that doesn't matter to a rich owner -- likely he'll never be "worth" that money, but he's one of the few people you'd bet on being a top 10 reliever each of those years and that's a luxury worth paying for for teams that can afford it.

Kimbrel's performance over his first deal is one of the better outcomes here, and even that saw two trades and half the money for a pitcher who had a much better track record of success. It's not unprecedented for a reliever to put up that sort of performance over 5 years after becoming FA eligible... you'd just have to be pretty drat sure Diaz is Mo or Andrew Miller and not Champan, Iglasies, Jansen, Holland, Gagné, or any of their ilk. The extreme flyball pitcher who'd had 1.5 seasons worth close to this money until posting the two lowest HR/FB seasons of his career is one of the last people I'd place that bet on. Relievers are by nature volatile, and he's an obvious regression candidate on top of it. Instead they've given away the deal's limited upside and guaranteed they get to own every second of the downside with the NTC.

Happy for Diaz and for all of us though. Narco kicks rear end and lolmets ensures we'll get 3 or 5 years of Taps ft Timmy Trumpet.

It's likely that the last 2 years of the deal are going to be bad but who cares? Cohen can spend his way out of it. And the industry is all doing opt outs. I think that is just the cost of doing business right now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe? I think it depends how much over $180 million Xander wants.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Some Numbers posted:

I would not be opposed to this, if he produced for those five years.

statement unclear, productive 5 years are the ones with the mets

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Would be very interested in Swanson if he somehow hits the open market.

Less so in Turner. Boegarts and Correa are a wash for the Mariners, I think.

I really hope the team doesn't just give either Marco or Flexen a spot in the starting rotation without earning it. Both were terrible last year, and replacing 30 starts of Marco with 30 starts of '#3 starter' off the open market gets them probably a game or two closer to catching the Astros for the division.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Veterans’ Committee run for the ‘steroid players’ has begun

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1589663802903171083?s=46&t=WPzwjUTndLDu5wnLSK8gYQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Any of those guys could get in and I would be fine with it other than Schilling who should go in after he's dead.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Watch them put in just Schilling

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

What the hell did Dale Murphy and Fred McGriff do to deserve this slander?!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
huh why did I think McGriff was already in

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
2023 Cubs 1B Mat Mervis wins AFL AS game MVP:

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/1589406223165984769

For the uninitiated on Mervis he went undrafted in the miniaturized 2020 draft and got signed as an FA by the Cubs. After not doing much in 2021 this year he exploded, going from A+ to AAA while getting better after each promotion and hitting 36 HR's across all levels. He also had more HR's (6) than he did K's (5) in the AFL. The only reason he's not starting at 1B out the gate next year is freak injury or service time shenanigans Cubs decide he needs to work on his glove and they want to see what they have in Wisdom.

In non cubspost news the Rockies and Braves have the first trade of the offseason, Braves get Hilliard and Colorado gets a prospect. Looks mostly like a move by Colorado to clear a 40-man spot before the upcoming Rule 5 draft.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1589363796594032640

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Somehow Murphy is on that ballot but Lou Whitaker didn’t make the final eight

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

In non cubspost news

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
literally every one of those players should be in but the world is stupid

I frankly don't understand why McGriff isn't already in, and I'm completely anti using character as a criteria given <insert a gigantic list of people in the HoF>

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somehow Murphy is on that ballot but Lou Whitaker didn’t make the final eight

Whitaker and Keith Hernandez should definitely be on that ballot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHERE IS SAMMY?????????????

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

no stieb get hosed

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arivia posted:

no stieb get hosed

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHERE IS SAMMY?????????????

He doesn't count as a steroid player because the only positive test he got hit with was the same "unofficial" one that got David Ortiz, who's already in the hall. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/TweeterReprise/status/1589439895374008322

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

no stieb get hosed
Unfortunately I don’t think he ever gets in

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

okay this really owns i am jealous

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately I don’t think he ever gets in

why not he deserves it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/kasamangcerena/status/1589702799511924736

If there's one thing all baseball fans can agree on: Ted Cruz sucks

sadly not all baseball fans actually agree on this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

why not he deserves it
There isn’t really a big campaign to get him in and his regular numbers (not the more analytical ones) aren’t flashy.

Lou Whitaker is easily one of the best players of his era and he can’t get much support either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Where are Stieb and Olerud