Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Elentor posted:

I think their main problem is that they are not for children. They're for everyone, and everyone of our age grew up eating that food, consuming it, and being unable to move on. Stuff for children is much different and much worse.

My main complaint re: stuff for children is that stuff for children used to be dark, and there's not enough cars being crushed like in brave little toaster, or everything re: judge doom, or even death scenes that weren't "and then they accidentally died due to gravity, isn't that a pity, good thing the hero didn't do anything to be part of it". Every kid story used to have some horror element to it and now that is gone from almost every content, for children or otherwise.

:yeah:

Kids like to be challenged and treated as adults, and horror-flavored media is a great, safe way to do it. Everyone I know was scared shitless by Stephen Gammel illustrations as a kid and they still absolutely love them 30+ years on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Das Boo posted:

:yeah:

Kids like to be challenged and treated as adults, and horror-flavored media is a great, safe way to do it. Everyone I know was scared shitless by Stephen Gammel illustrations as a kid and they still absolutely love them 30+ years on.

Yeah, that's a great example. I'm sure when they reprinted those books with different art, they had 0 impact.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Society tries to recreate Stephen Gammel through what is known as, [airquotes like Dr. Evil], creepypasta

You know I am right.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've heard that managing fear (of the dark, of boogeymen, etc) kids can overcome more tangible fears as they get older.

I kind of wonder how people would react to horror if they were super sheltered. Would it have a bigger impact or just be straight up unpleasant? I kind of felt like horror is like eating spicy food-it's uncomfortable but a fun type of discomfort.

Like I was a kid when I saw Bishop get torn in half by a queen alien in Aliens. I was too young to understand he was a robot because he was specifically designed with "guts" and squirty bits for maximum shock value; just having him spit out sparks and rivets wouldn't be as visceral as his actual design, because we understand "robot" is an inanimate object but Bishop is not only something that looks human on the outside he's got uncanny valley innards as well. In spite of it being terrifying to see on the first watch I later came to find it the coolest part of the movie (perhaps the reassurance that Bishop didn't actually "die" from getting ripped in half helped soften the blow).

Had I not seen this scene as a kid, I don't know how I would have reacted. Would it make my barf? Would I be too far beyond the boundless imagination of youth to embrace the suspension of belief?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I saw Ripler going "kiiilllll.... . meee...." I was shocked for a few days. It was a shock to find out that someone had conveyed how I feel.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

roomtone posted:

It probably is out of style but I think SA in particular is a place where that's a common opinion. I don't share it at all. If there's no story, it's rare I finish a game because I just don't care enough. Which is all right, but I'd rather care. It's not about a cinematic experience, I'm happy with textboxes and pixel graphics, just engage me beyond the gameplay which c'mon, is not gonna blow my mind I've played games before.

It might be related to age. I'm in my mid 30's which is probably a bit younger than most people here and I grew up on games with stories. If you're even a couple of years older than me, then you probably didn't.

Eh, there's different kinds of games.

Sometimes the actual gameplay is fun, and having too much story would be distracting - few driving or sports games have much of a story, but they still seem to do well.

Building games, too - Minecraft, Cities:Skylines, the factory and colony sim games (Factorio, Satisfactory, Oxygen not Included, Rimworld, etc etc) and the like mostly have a setting more than a plot, though of course there's a sliding scale here. And that list covers games that are doing fairly well with a wide age range.

Not that I don't get your point; having an interesting story is why I did so many runs in Hades, and it's why my BF is playing Horizon: Forbidden West despite it not being his favourite kind of mechanics. But you don't need a story to enjoy a puzzle or a hobby, and some games have more in common with those than with an AAA setpiece game.

Just to stay vaguely on topic: The enduring popularity of Minecraft with children and teens is a good thing that proves that you really don't need good graphics to make a fun game. Hell, even feeling like that is a point that still needs to be made probably marks me as old.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't watch any horror; to me it's straight-up unpleasant and gives me nightmares. Whole thing is pretty baffling to me, and I can't help but sideeye people who enjoy stuff like Saw.

My boomer opinion is that kids are watching that poo poo at like 10 and it fucks them up. At that age you should be at like Lon Chaney level of horror.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't watch any horror; to me it's straight-up unpleasant and gives me nightmares. Whole thing is pretty baffling to me, and I can't help but sideeye people who enjoy stuff like Saw.

My boomer opinion is that kids are watching that poo poo at like 10 and it fucks them up. At that age you should be at like Lon Chaney level of horror.

Something like The Shining I can understand but ya those people that watch and enjoy saw are psychotic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watch all the Saws so I can get mad about people being the dumbest possible shits. There was room enough for 5 people in each tunnel, no one had to die you ABSOLUTE. loving. MORONS.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

roomtone posted:

It probably is out of style but I think SA in particular is a place where that's a common opinion. I don't share it at all. If there's no story, it's rare I finish a game because I just don't care enough. Which is all right, but I'd rather care. It's not about a cinematic experience, I'm happy with textboxes and pixel graphics, just engage me beyond the gameplay which c'mon, is not gonna blow my mind I've played games before.

It might be related to age. I'm in my mid 30's which is probably a bit younger than most people here and I grew up on games with stories. If you're even a couple of years older than me, then you probably didn't.

I'm 35 and I don't think this has anything with age. Both games older and newer had their story-centric niche.

I dislike games with stories and I want games to have the least amount of story as possible, just gameplay. I've played games with stories, text games, cyoas, jrpgs, western rpgs like baldur's gate that are just huge walls of text, so it's not how I "grew up on" or not.

But the older I got the less interested I got in games that are offering me anything less than the raw gameplay, mostly for a time and energy reason. There's also a social element I like in certain games that by virtue of them being challenging there's a lot of information being exchanged, and I like that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Anne Whateley posted:

My trip report with young children and scary things is that my child is seemingly worryingly unimpacted by traditionally scary things, and thinks skeletons and monsters are kind of funny at worst (in fact he wants us to leave the Halloween skeleton decorations up all year because "we have skeletons every day;" fair enough), but just told me the other day he was scared because there were blinking Christmas lights in my laundry room. I mean, it takes all kinds. Clearly non-constant light is terrifying to a generation accustomed to the constant glow of rectangles (though that would not explain my own childhood I guess)

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Once i hear someone say "bru" i immediately stop caring about whatever future hellscape awaits them

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
We should bring back the draft. Kids today are too soft.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Virtual reality is for dumb idiots.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Never get a tattoo you can't cover up with a shirt.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Extra Large Marge posted:

Never get a tattoo you can't cover up with a shirt.

but my next three tattoos will be hand, neck and sidecut exactly because those drat suits cover everything up

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tattoos on the face should be limited to those with good cultural reason and extended stay prisoners.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

RDM posted:

We should bring back the draft. Kids today are too soft.

Only earnestly-held beliefs, nothing sarcastic plz.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Things don't have to be LOUD to be enjoyable. Music you have to shout over, fireworks that sound like WW2 bombs, screeching laughter at anything remotely amusing by your very low standards. The noise doesn't add to your experience, it just forces everyone around you to be part of it regardless of their own tastes and preferences.

I may still be fuming about the '18-20 friends coming to my apartment and using the communal pool regularly' post in the reddit thread... So yeah, wanting everyone (younger than me) to be quiet and getting worked up about something that not only doesn't concern me but may not even be true is pretty Boomer.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Modern movies have too much pitch black, and it's hard for me to see what's going on. <:mad:>

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Regarding noise, I really don't enjoy youtubers who scream all the time. Use your indoor voice, people.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Regarding noise, I really don't enjoy youtubers who scream all the time. Use your indoor voice, people.

Bad news, that is their indoor voice. Their outdoor voices can crack concrete.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I like Fleetwood Mac.

:greencube:

Also boomers invented loud music when they invented ever-louder instrument amplifiers and PA systems to be heard over screaming teenagers. The Beatles and the Who were specifically pushing this forward and those bands are peak boomer.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
People who study philosophy should learn to think for themselves instead of basing their beliefs and morals on those of a bunch of dead racist incels.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

run on sentience posted:

People who study philosophy should learn to think for themselves instead of basing their beliefs and morals on those of a bunch of dead racist incels.

Related, but philosophers piss me off for how often they poo poo on the doers of society for being "mere laborers" and not "great thinkers." Like loving use that trust fund to contribute something, rear end in a top hat.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Das Boo posted:

Related, but philosophers piss me off for how often they poo poo on the doers of society for being "mere laborers" and not "great thinkers." Like loving use that trust fund to contribute something, rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOLxZrVmjiw

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

RDM posted:

Playgrounds are way shittier today than they used to be. Safety went way too far.

Not that it matters cause kids don't play outside anymore. Kids need just go outside and play and come home when the streetlights come on.

No kidding. When I was in school in the early 90s, our playground had what we called the Death Bridge made up of a bunch of planks connected by chain. If you jumped on one end, it would cause the other end to bounce upward, and if you jumped off that just right, you could easily clear five feet vertically. That bridge kicked rear end and it was the best part of the playground by a long shot.

They got rid of it after some dumb kid who didn't know how to land right got injured. Way to ruin it for everyone, Tristan. :argh:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I was a child in 70’s Britain, it’s a wonder I lived into the 80’s frankly. One of my favourite playground items was a series of concrete pipes to crawl around in, which in addition to the broken bottles and cigarette butts I was aware of, almost definitely contained a wide variety of human and animal body fluids. One place had a water slide that was essentially a 45 degree slope that they tipped a dumpster down: it had a few seats carelessly welded to the bottom for the faint of heart.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

drinks should go on coasters instead of directly on the table

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

books and movies about cold war era submarine warfare are good entertainment

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Our school playground in the 80s had a large concrete block in the center of the field with a four inch wide metal pipe sticking out of it about a foot long that kids used to drop poo poo into whatever abyss was down there. No idea what this thing was ever supposed to be, it wasn’t intended as playground equipment, just a derelict chunk of concrete that no one wanted to pay to remove. But it served as “base” for a lot of made up kid games. In 3rd grade I broke off half of my permanent tooth on the pipe trying to peek down into it. Google Earth suggests it’s still there. I think about that thing whenever I see people posting about how much better playgrounds were back in the day.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

kids these days need to learn how to give a firm handshake and look someone in the eye when speaking!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

ripped jeans look dumb and are a rip-off!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

It used to be extremely common for playgrounds to have large tractor tires half-buried into the ground. The intention was for the kids to play on the tire, which they did but the inside of the tire was almost exclusively a makeshift latrine.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

kids spend too much money on food delivery and should learn to cook for themselves!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tarkus posted:

It used to be extremely common for playgrounds to have large tractor tires half-buried into the ground. The intention was for the kids to play on the tire, which they did but the inside of the tire was almost exclusively a makeshift latrine.

There was a big yellow tube at my elementary school that many kids peed in for some reason

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Tarkus posted:

Hey, that's unfair, it was also a breeding ground for mosquitos as well.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

favourite playground items

Sure it's not a unique thing, but we had some custom built extremely long metal see-saw, and realized if you got a bunch of kids to jump onto one end you could make the kid on the other end fly up to space.

The fun ended when one kid hosed up and landed on their face on the metal. Was pretty gnarly bad.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Thesaurus posted:

There was a big yellow tube at my elementary school that many kids peed in for some reason

Thank god it wasn't a brown tube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
The giant tire playground at my elementary school was great until the weather started turning hot, at which point it burned any exposed skin as soon as it touched the rubber.