Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zzulu posted:

I literally just squiggle some lines for my cursive name

It's most likely completely unreadable to any human but it has not mattered

When I transitioned i didn't change my signature at all, even tho my new name is completely different lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Black pepper was desirable in the past because it is good at covering the taste of turned meat. Rich people loved it because they could pretend they weren't eating the same unrefrigerated, half-rotten meat as the peasants

I like it on cream-based soups though

I’m pretty sure that this isn’t true. People just liked spices

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I do a simple squiggle that doesn't look like any part of my name because I had to sign things many times a day for several months and I can't be dicked to do anything complicated, and because it's funny to me to make my signature a symbol of my own indifference.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Sounds like something a midwesterner would say to defend why all their recipes involve cans of condensed soups or “flavor packets” instead of actual spices.

And as a midwesterner myself, I will start using it to defend the honor of the tater tot casserole.

Robobot has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Nov 7, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Anyone who likes food less spicy than me is an idiot, but anyone who likes food more spicy than me is a maniac!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its called a hotdish

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

Huh, looks like you're right and that explanation was debunked

Okay well in that case I do not know why black pepper caught on anywhere, especially to the point that it's on every restaurant table

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Due to the fact that it's delicious op. White pepper is also good but somewhat different and I enjoy them both.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Huh, looks like you're right and that explanation was debunked

Okay well in that case I do not know why black pepper caught on anywhere, especially to the point that it's on every restaurant table

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/why-are-salt-and-pepper-paired/

Tldr the French

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Its called a hotdish

Couldn’t remember if it was one or two words…probably the most shameful moment of my entire midwestern existence.

Well, this and the time I said I didn’t really like county fairs.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

thetoughestbean posted:

No.

People in the past liked putting expensive and exotic spices on rotten meat.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

Couldn’t remember if it was one or two words…probably the most shameful moment of my entire midwestern existence.

Well, this and the time I said I didn’t really like county fairs.

I’m from the midwest and my family says casserole. Don’t worry about it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

There is no good reason to ever buy black pepper. White pepper is just the better version of the same thing.

idk that seems kinda racist

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

disco elysium would be a better game without the politics stuff

i'm surprised at how much i do actually like the game, it's fun and well made but when characters start talking about communism or liberalism or whatever it hits this sophomoric tone that seems at odds with the characters, who seem like they have more immediate concerns. i don't really want my character to be railroaded into that stuff, i just want to solve a crime and help people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters are the politics, the sophomoric political thoughts is how the protagonist copes with his immediate situation

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

i'm surprised at how much i do actually like the game, it's fun and well made but when characters start talking about communism or liberalism or whatever it hits this sophomoric tone that seems at odds with the characters, who seem like they have more immediate concerns. i don't really want my character to be railroaded into that stuff, i just want to solve a crime and help people

Politics IS an immediate concern for many of the characters. Even when it's not, people sometimes comfort themselves with ideology when things are hard, for various reasons. As for your drunk dude, what's crime? Which political force gets to decide that? How do you decide who to help when people's interests conflict, and what kind of help should you offer? Policing is inherently political.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

Thanks for the review. I bought this a couple of days ago because it was on sale on Steam.

When I bought the game, in the back of my head I kind of wondered if it actually would be good or if it was highly regarded because it is about left wing politics. It sounds like the game is actually good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Thanks for the review. I bought this a couple of days ago because it was on sale on Steam.

When I bought the game, in the back of my head I kind of wondered if it actually would be good or if it was highly regarded because it is about left wing politics. It sounds like the game is actually good.

it feels a lot like a pynchon novel in tone, the characters are likable, it reminds me of pynchon's V. in particular. it looks good and i like it, it's very original

the only part where the politics stuff annoys me is when i am required to choose between some dialogues that don't seem to fit my character. i'm playing a washed up old policeman, he shouldn't think in sentences that come from a student's essay. i don't mind this stuff when it's just a background theme that i can choose to pick up on or not but there's a few points where the game really wants you to care and it just doesn't add anything

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

Everything I've heard about that game suggests to me that the entire point of it is owning the libs. I'm surprised to learn there's anything to it beyond that.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The game is good. Some guy on Twitter posted a thing where the entire thought cabinet is just Frasier and I felt the need to record a thingy.

https://twitter.com/luchasoros/status/1549857253662101510

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it feels a bit like playing deus ex, being basically a policeman and doing lots of sidequests that all tie together. this is a great formula for games i think

what i don't like (in general) are books or movies or games or whatever that try to be didactic. i can pick up on a theme on my own, you don't need to spell it out and be on the nose about it

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah DE is little on the nose sometimes. Like the investigation stops while some nobody explicitly asks you philosophical/political questions. Subtext tends to lose its value when it is turned into text. What is authority, what is identity, what is trauma - there are a lot of good thematic beats but all of it is yanked from the bones of the story and gaudily shoved into the player's face.

Still a very good game, but unfortunately it is a clever game made specifically for dumb people

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

it feels a lot like a pynchon novel in tone, the characters are likable, it reminds me of pynchon's V. in particular. it looks good and i like it, it's very original

the only part where the politics stuff annoys me is when i am required to choose between some dialogues that don't seem to fit my character. i'm playing a washed up old policeman, he shouldn't think in sentences that come from a student's essay. i don't mind this stuff when it's just a background theme that i can choose to pick up on or not but there's a few points where the game really wants you to care and it just doesn't add anything

revachol as a setting is very politically charged because it's a graveyard of ideology haunted by the ghosts of the past. in this setting a detective is more than just a detective, they're a sort of spiritual medium in constant contact with these ghosts.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

right but that should be apparent from the setting, not spelled out in what amounts to telltale style "moral choices". books dont interrupt the reader with a questionnaire about their beliefs and neither should games

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idk i took the bluntness as part of the overall bit making fun of the idea of a cop making ridiculous metaphysical inquiries and latching on to ideologies in a very surface-level way

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
That game peaked for me when I was offered the option to kick a malfunctioning computer and took it. Died instantly from the shock of pain in the toe triggering a massive stroke. And totally worth it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

idk i took the bluntness as part of the overall bit making fun of the idea of a cop making ridiculous metaphysical inquiries and latching on to ideologies in a very surface-level way

It deffo felt like that was the intent to me. There's a few places they're more explicit about 'everything Harry is doing is because he's gullible as gently caress and an absolute mark', like the little thought/dialogue chain where you can get Harry curious about the homo-sexual underground. You can tell Kim that you think you're gay, and he immediately responds with 'no you're not you absolute idiot'.
Harry is still a character with an established backstory and personality, all his wanderings and musings on metaphysics and political ideologies is just him still lumbering through the aftershocks of a massive bender.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

it feels a bit like playing deus ex, being basically a policeman and doing lots of sidequests that all tie together. this is a great formula for games i think

what i don't like (in general) are books or movies or games or whatever that try to be didactic. i can pick up on a theme on my own, you don't need to spell it out and be on the nose about it

Yeah, Disco leans on it so hard it gives the game this unnatural feel a lot of the time. People like Measurehead and the Sunday friend aren't even characters, they're just caricatures of ideologies that the authors disapprove of. The fact that they succeed in making Joyce a character shows they had the skill to make them people instead of caricatures but failed to do so.

The actual best bit is that Communism as portrayed in the work is just Religion.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Adventure games almost universally contain caricatures. It is an aspect of the form, sometimes you have a scene and you want to tell a joke and you need a Kind of Guy to tell it.

And they're right, communism is religion.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

And they're right, communism is religion.

I don't see it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Decrepus posted:

No.

People in the past liked putting expensive and exotic spices on rotten meat.

(citation needed)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It depends on your flavour of communism I guess??

My favourite current flavour is "Well maybe if we structured things a little differently, everyone could be provided for"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hahahahahahahahahahaahhaahhahahahahahahahaahhaha

aaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It makes no sense to me that they ever made those watches with the strangling wire in them. How was there a market for that?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

People were super good at preserving meat in the past, I'm not sure why OP thinks people put spices only on rotten meat

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I for one eat my rotten meat without spices, medium rare obviously.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

alexandriao posted:

People were super good at preserving meat in the past, I'm not sure why OP thinks people put spices only on rotten meat

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in that post -- stating that people just loved wasting expensive and exotic spices on the very worst meat they had. (Or perhaps I just saw sarcasm that wasn't there. Either is possible.)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Communism is Protestantism. You go to a weekly meeting and talk a whole bunch about esoteric nonsense and when you don’t get your way you split off and form your own group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Everything I've heard about that game suggests to me that the entire point of it is owning the libs. I'm surprised to learn there's anything to it beyond that.

The writers of the game are communists themselves and do have a bone to pick with centrism as an ideology but i don’t think it’s anything remotely close to the point of it