Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

have you tried typing these words into the extension store?

Yes, but I saw nothing but a bunch of extensions that do random other things to the highlight function (like make it look like you used a highlighter marker).

The bookmarklet seems good, and answers like this is why I came to SA with the question since I wasn't considering the negative effects of an always-on solution. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, but I saw nothing but a bunch of extensions that do random other things to the highlight function (like make it look like you used a highlighter marker).

ah, I guess the important bit for searching is that "select" not "highlight" is the term for that thing you do with text

but yeah the bookmarklet is better, pleased to help

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anyone else having weird issues with casting tabs all of a sudden? I went to cast the nVidia YT broadcast to my CC Ultra and it wasn't in the list. I had to do it with my phone.

Updated, restarted, etc. Still only showing my Google-TVs and none of my Chromecasts on the PC side. Nothing has changed with my network either.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So google is actually going through with the adocalypse, nuking the older extension framework used by uBlock Origin etc for everything Chromium related.
We have a couple of months left, but I went ahead and made the switch to Firefox now. Moving the logins is as annoying as I feared it would be with over a dozen email/phone code verifications :smith:

Some of the fonts in Firefox look like rear end, and the scrolling feels way off. Chrome may be a data collecting monster, but it was nice

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 16, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Will uMatrix still work/get me by without Origin?

Is there really no hope?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Will uMatrix still work/get me by without Origin?

No, umatrix uses the same extension tech that uBO does.

also umatrix is not supported any more and not actively developed, so you should transition away from it anyways

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is there really no hope?

Six month reprieve: switch your Chrome into Enterprise. afaik this is just some group policy or management template things but I've never bothered to look into it. Enterprise gets to keep using manifest V2 until Jan 2024.

Long term: switch to a different browser like Firefox, Vivaldi, Opera or Brave

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Just got my first ads on Youtube in however many years, so hello sad friends

What is this "we still have a few months" thing? Seems like it's now, outside of maybe short-term workarounds like that ^

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Nosre posted:

What is this "we still have a few months" thing? Seems like it's now, outside of maybe short-term workarounds like that ^

Usually I give Chrome updates a few days so Ublock has time to update.
It always has worked out, just make sure to go to extensions and force an update and then reload YT.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nosre posted:

Ublock still works, and will continue to work until at least June 2023. Here is the timeline.

Getting one ad with ublock just means youtube or whatever site changed something and your filters haven't updated yet.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but won't browser adblocking still be possible after Manifest V2 is gone, it just won't be as effective as today and will only be a "download all but only filter out after downloading"?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fart of Presto posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but won't browser adblocking still be possible after Manifest V2 is gone, it just won't be as effective as today

Yes, far crappier adblocking will still be available.

Fart of Presto posted:

and will only be a "download all but only filter out after downloading"?

No, the new method still blocks before the request to download. The change is that you have a limited filter list*, and the extension only gets to operate on the page for 5 minutes after loading. So even if you have a filter that catches youtube ads, you'll see the midroll ad halfway through a 15 minute vid.

*and in particular an extremely limited list of dynamic filters. Dynamic filters are by far the most useful, and the majority of rules you get from the built-in block lists in ublock are dynamic.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Klyith posted:

Ublock still works, and will continue to work until at least June 2023. Here is the timeline.

Getting one ad with ublock just means youtube or whatever site changed something and your filters haven't updated yet.

OgNar posted:

Usually I give Chrome updates a few days so Ublock has time to update.
It always has worked out, just make sure to go to extensions and force an update and then reload YT.

Yea, I got a couple but then it seems to have stopped. Had never happened before in years of previous updates, so I thought the adpocalypse had been moved up!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've been having some issues with Chrome recently and I want to see if Brave to see fixes them, but I'm having an issue. With Chrome, I'm not sure if this is default behavior or a setting I changed at some point, but when I have multiple profiles open, and I close the last window in a profile, it silently exits and preserves all those tabs the next time I open that profile. In Brave, closing a window always throws away all the tabs present, and the only way to preserve them seems to be to use the Exit menu option - but that exits all profiles simultaneously. Has anyone else had this issue? There's probably a setting somewhere that controls this behavior, but I've been googling all kinds of stuff and I can't seem to find it. I'm asking here because I half remember this being a Chrome flag that I changed sometime, and if it was Brave probably has the same flag.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there an extension that'll strip out extraneous referrer crap from urls?

Like, I click on an embedded tweet in a thread here, and if I want to share it further I have to selectively only copy the actual url and ignore the extra tracking bs at the end.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Just wanted to post a solution to some serious stuttering problems I was having with an AMD GPU (6700XT). Embedded videos weren't playing correctly and would cause serious stuttering on pages whenever I tried to mouseover them. Grabbing the Chrome window and dragging it up and down was also displaying serious stuttering and skipping as well. On top of that, I was also getting severe mouse lag whenever an auto playing video would show up on a page.

Well, going to chrome://flags/ and changing "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" to D3D9 fixed all of that.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Arrath posted:

Is there an extension that'll strip out extraneous referrer crap from urls?

Like, I click on an embedded tweet in a thread here, and if I want to share it further I have to selectively only copy the actual url and ignore the extra tracking bs at the end.

I've been using ClearURLs, sounds like it might work for tweets.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

qsvui posted:

I've been using ClearURLs, sounds like it might work for tweets.

That has been working like a charm, thank you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

lolwat?

"Starting in June in Chrome 115, Chrome may run experiments to turn off support for Manifest V2 extensions in all channels, including stable channel."

Dear god, gently caress off with your A/B tests.

Klyith posted:

No, the new method still blocks before the request to download. The change is that you have a limited filter list*, and the extension only gets to operate on the page for 5 minutes after loading. So even if you have a filter that catches youtube ads, you'll see the midroll ad halfway through a 15 minute vid.

*and in particular an extremely limited list of dynamic filters. Dynamic filters are by far the most useful, and the majority of rules you get from the built-in block lists in ublock are dynamic.
A while ago I wondered, whether there's some kind of HTTPS proxying turnkey solution a la Pi Hole or whatever.

Over at work, that stupid Blackspider poo poo can apparently do HTTPS proxying without the browser blowing up in a sea of certificate notifications. So it seems kinda possible?

Hyper Inferno posted:

Well, going to chrome://flags/ and changing "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" to D3D9 fixed all of that.
They're loving around with the graphics backend again and releasing things in a broken state.

A long while ago, using VRR here made things a stutter fest on my primary display but not the secondary one. Took quite a while convincing them and sending smartphone cam recordings of that poo poo happening, together with tailored HTML files causing this, and it was still a sing and dance to get it fixed. At the end, I switched ANGLE to D3D11on12 to get my peace, until randomly resetting it and noticing it was "fixed" (hopefully).

--edit
Why I was browsing this thread to begin with... Microsoft adopted the round omnibox from Chrome. gently caress that poo poo. This looks terrible.

--edit:
Looking at this declarativeNetRequest poo poo, I guess the best approach is a Pi Hole to filter out the egregious poo poo at the DNS level, to keep it out of the browser list, making free space for more important rules within the browser. People got to get pretty creative with regular expressions to save on entries.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 7, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

A while ago I wondered, whether there's some kind of HTTPS proxying turnkey solution a la Pi Hole or whatever.

Over at work, that stupid Blackspider poo poo can apparently do HTTPS proxying without the browser blowing up in a sea of certificate notifications. So it seems kinda possible?

It's possible. It seems really dumb and finicky and potentially insecure, compared to the much easier alternative of switching to a different browser (including ones that run on the chromium engine). Also if you're running everything through a proxy that has to actually parse all the html etc it's probably gonna be somewhat slower than doing it inside the browser with ublock.

What might be a bit more practical, for people who really don't want to give up on Chrome, would be to use filter lists in the new system that are targeted mostly towards video ads and other things that are hard to block with a pi-hole, plus a pi-hole. I run DNS blocking at home and it does a reasonable job on a lot of stuff.

But that depends on if Google does anything that makes youtube blocking impossible for the new system (like randomization to defeat the extremely limited dynamic filters).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In regard to Chromium browsers, I have a funny feeling that Google will make maintaining the webRequest API a pain in the butt going forward via obnoxious codebase changes or whatever. Otherwise, I'd have figured Microsoft to have announced by now that they'd keep the webRequest API afloat, in a bid to gain marketshare.

--edit:
Hmm, how far is Brave lagging Chromium engine development? Or is it fairly current?

--edit:
Brave Rewards this, Crypto Wallet that, Blockchain over here, sponsored backgrounds over there... Well, I guess not.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 7, 2022

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regard to Chromium browsers, I have a funny feeling that Google will make maintaining the webRequest API a pain in the butt going forward via obnoxious codebase changes or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. As long as Vivaldi keeps supporting it, I'm okay, but if they drop it, I'll switch to Firefox.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regard to Chromium browsers, I have a funny feeling that Google will make maintaining the webRequest API a pain in the butt going forward via obnoxious codebase changes or whatever. Otherwise, I'd have figured Microsoft to have announced by now that they'd keep the webRequest API afloat, in a bid to gain marketshare.

--edit:
Hmm, how far is Brave lagging Chromium engine development? Or is it fairly current?

--edit:
Brave Rewards this, Crypto Wallet that, Blockchain over here, sponsored backgrounds over there... Well, I guess not.

Brave is big on crypto and run by Brandon Eich (the guy who got booted from mozilla over big donations against the cali gay marriage prop), so yeah.

Vivaldi is IMO the best alt. Also Opera still exists and is on chromium these days.

Whether the alts can maintain WebRequest on their own, I don't know. I don't think it's impossible by any stretch; one of the reasons everyone uses the chrome engine these days is because google did a good job with being modular. I don't know if it's worth Google's time to intentionally make it painful, because firefox still exists and causing a giant "google sabotaging competitors" isn't what they want.

Hardly anyone uses Vivaldi etc. Google cares about delivering ads to the majority of people, not the 10% who will switch browsers to keep ublock.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Vivaldi is currently shaping up to be the best of chromium, but I'm personally happy with the transition back to Firefox.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This isn't breaking news, but

https://groups.google.com/u/1/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/zQ77HkGmK9E?pli=1

seems like they're backing off for at least a few more months. One can only hope there was a big downward line on a chart somewhere that got the point across, but who knows

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Y problem: is there an addon that can hijack a particular request and return a hardcoded response? The URL is always the same, and the response is a small JSON blob.

(just in case...) X problem: on my timesheet, location field is mandatory, but I only ever want it to be my city. I have to start typing my city name, wait for the search to complete, and select my city from the 4 results displayed in a dropdown.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Back in the early days of Gmail I'd quickly go to move away from that site after finishing reading or archiving any mail, but if I did it too fast I'd get a warning that changes wouldn't be saved if I proceeded with that action. I used to blame it on dialup, but that poo poo has remained to this day.

I was noticing a coworkers immaculate inbox earlier today and I'm wondering if this is because I dont use folders and my account is 19 years old this year. Or does this happen to others as well?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

Back in the early days of Gmail I'd quickly go to move away from that site after finishing reading or archiving any mail, but if I did it too fast I'd get a warning that changes wouldn't be saved if I proceeded with that action. I used to blame it on dialup, but that poo poo has remained to this day.

I was noticing a coworkers immaculate inbox earlier today and I'm wondering if this is because I dont use folders and my account is 19 years old this year. Or does this happen to others as well?

It happens to me, not sure why but I'm in a similar situation with an old gmail account with a ton of read/archived stuff and I rarely delete things. I ignore the warning, and it usually does save the changes (keeping things marked read or whatever).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

codo27 posted:

Folders on an email client is pointless busywork, labels auto-assigned via rules is the way. Archive everything once you’re not actively doing something with it if you want a clean inbox. I too have massive piles of poo poo in my inbox because I don’t care where it is,l; I get notifications for new things, search is perfect for finding stuff, frequently used things love under a label.

Also, why do you feel to need to immediately close your email tab once you’re finished with it? Also pointless busywork, like swiping to close all your apps on an iPhone.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

wooger posted:

Also, why do you feel to need to immediately close your email tab once you’re finished with it? Also pointless busywork, like swiping to close all your apps on an iPhone.

Unlike my inbox, I like my browser windows clean.

that’s a lie i also hoard tabs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All of you out there rocking tens of tabs constantly are monsters

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

codo27 posted:

All of you out there rocking tens of tabs constantly are monsters

Tens? Those are rookie numbers.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
What's the best extension to block videos autoplaying for desktop Chrome? I don't need to block the videos entirely, just stop them from auto-playing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Can anyone suggest an extension or script that will let me turn this poo poo off on a per-domain basis?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Javid posted:

Can anyone suggest an extension or script that will let me turn this poo poo off on a per-domain basis?

There is the Quick Javascript Switcher which lets you disable javascript per site

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje

Also lets me bypass the 'you have already viewed 2 articles this month' bullshit on sites like Washington Post.
Although you also cant view images there because of it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm not wanting to completely nuke javascript, just disable that specific class of popup so the x button on the tab jumps directly to closing it

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Javid posted:

I'm not wanting to completely nuke javascript, just disable that specific class of popup so the x button on the tab jumps directly to closing it

You can use this Tampermonkey userscript. Just modify the @match line to point to the URL you want to block unload prompts for (you can use * as a wildcard in the URL). You can add additional @match lines to apply the script to multiple different pages.

Note that Tampermonkey in Chrome has some inconsistency with loading scripts at document-start; so this script might randomly fail to block the dialog in the event a page gets in and hooks up the beforeunload event on the page before the userscript can get in there and hook it. If this is a problem, you can make it a little more consistent in by going into Tampermonkey's advanced settings and changing "Inject Mode" to "instant".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

oh that's perfect, thanks

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Any chrome extensions that will organize my parcel tracking numbers? Most I've seen require you to manually enter them, but gmail has the functionality to pull that info already so I figure there's something automagic?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Anyone know how to get emoji to display in color in Chrome on Windows? They used to, but now they're in black and white. Firefox doesn't have this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

i was looking to clean up some disk space as im running low and discovered chrome is storing a hefty 5gb in appdata in some file system folder on windows, now firefox is using 3.5gb but fire fox is my daily driver and i have 7 profiles on it, i downloaded chrome for like one thing i needed chrome specifically for and i can't believe ive used it enough to download 5gb worth of website even, i only have the one profile too, what is going on?!