Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Lungboy posted:

That new Street Triple 765 Moto2 edition is rather fetching.

The RS in Cosmic Yellow is extremely good and is gonna come out right around the time my bonus pays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:discourse:

I haven't ridden one yet, but a Street Triple definitely in the mix for (hopefully) buying a new bike in 2023.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

FBS posted:

The RS in Cosmic Yellow is extremely good and is gonna come out right around the time my bonus pays out

Oh nice, hadn't seen they do a yellow RS too. The RS makes a lot more sense too, I simply can't justify one for my riding.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Lungboy posted:

Oh nice, hadn't seen they do a yellow RS too. The RS makes a lot more sense too, I simply can't justify one for my riding.

I felt exactly the same two years ago when I test rode the current gen RS. It was an amazing ride but I couldn’t justify the money so waited and got the Trident which I got bored of in a year. It was a good bike but always regretted just not going the extra £££ for the street triple. Defo taking a look at the yellow RS when the local dealer gets one in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

That looks hella good

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Friend of mine who doesn’t know anything about motorcycles and views cars as a utility device came over yesterday and expressed a willingness to learn a tiny bit about my bike.

I knew I had about 30 seconds before his eyes glazed over.

Pretty sure I talked for 2 minutes, but he was gracious about it.

It very much reminded me of this Previous Owners bit.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Geekboy posted:

It very much reminded me of this Previous Owners bit.
Every time I stop for gas, without fail:

"nice bike man" "hey thanks, what do you ride?" "oh I don't ride but my brother/uncle/buddy used to have a gixer/harley/busa before he wrecked it, it was fast as hell. you should get one of those"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

*Points to ears, ear plugs in, can't hear you*

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

bizwank posted:

Every time I stop for gas, without fail:

"nice bike man" "hey thanks, what do you ride?" "oh I don't ride but my brother/uncle/buddy used to have a gixer/harley/busa before he wrecked it, it was fast as hell. you should get one of those"

I don't get that as much as I get unsolicited weather updates.

"Hey you know it's gonna rain later?"
Yes sir my vehicle does not have a roof, I am aware of the forecast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine going up to someone filling their car with gas and going “yeah I know someone who died in a car crash. Anyway, have a good one”

Psychopath poo poo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's a guy at work who likes to inform me when people die riding motorbikes. Like, ok I guess.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I rode to a resturant with some friends like a decade ago and some guy in a wheelchair rolled up and said he'd been in a bike crash resulting in being wheelchair bound and that I should give it up while I can still walk.
Yea? were you wearing gear? no? well there's your problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite are the people who say "oh, man, no, I don't have a bike, I never could because I'm so crazy, I'd ride too fast and get pulled over all the time or die, I just know it"

Yeah man whatever. I get it. You're definitely not scared. You're just too much of a badass to ride a motorcycle. :jerkbag:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I had a surprisingly pleasant Gas Station Conversation the other day when a guy just wanted to know what fuel economy I got on the bike, smiled and shook his head and walked away when I told him. :shrug:

Sagebrush posted:

My favorite are the people who say "oh, man, no, I don't have a bike, I never could because I'm so crazy, I'd ride too fast and get pulled over all the time or die, I just know it"

Yeah man whatever. I get it. You're definitely not scared. You're just too much of a badass to ride a motorcycle. :jerkbag:
I encounter this a lot and sometimes I really do think it's just them admitting they have poor impulse control, which seems totally fair to me. Same as someone stating they could never own a weapon specifically because they've got a history of suicidal tendencies or something.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 7, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
No one gets to pump their own gas except motorcycles in Oregon, so not only do I get to skip ahead of everyone waiting for the attendant, no one gets out of their cars so I don't have to talk to them.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fifty Three posted:

I encounter this a lot and sometimes I really do think it's just them admitting they have poor impulse control, which seems totally fair to me. Same as someone stating they could never own a weapon specifically because they've got a history of suicidal tendencies or something.

Yo I wouldn't even have a bike if I had impulse control.

Real talk though I like that I can WOT my R3 coming out of a turn without bursting into a mist of death. I would almost certainly gently caress up with something approaching a supersport.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I always suggest a track bike or dirt bike to these people, and never get more than an "uhh" in response.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
This is the same friend who was shocked I’d listen to things in my helmet while I rode because it’s so “dangerous” until I informed him I have to wear ear plugs to avoid doing permanent hearing damage from the wind noise. Like “loud pipes save lives” in reverse.

He is never going to ride and he probably shouldn’t. But his wife kinda wants a scooter and I consider this me doing the work so he’ll be more comfortable when she decides to go for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What are you even supposed to hear that will help you? You can hear and feel the engine regardless of what you've got in your ears

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine going up to someone filling their car with gas and going “yeah I know someone who died in a car crash. Anyway, have a good one”

Psychopath poo poo.

They think they're being clever in that super passive aggressive, derogatorily 'helpful' way that seems unique to western countries.

"I'm not being a dick I was just trying to help!"

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 8, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Psychopath poo poo.

This is the weirdest poo poo, even comes up in the AI threads all the time. Because guess what is most likely (statistically, in the US) to kill you if you're under 50? car crash, mostly thanks to our horrible over dependence on car infrastructure

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Slavvy posted:

"I'm not being a dick I was just trying to help!"

If someone doesn’t slap this on your tombstone Slavvy I swear.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

I rode to a resturant with some friends like a decade ago and some guy in a wheelchair rolled up and said he'd been in a bike crash resulting in being wheelchair bound and that I should give it up while I can still walk.
Yea? were you wearing gear? no? well there's your problem.

So, funny (well, not funny at all, actually) story. Sparing the gory details, back in like 2005, a good friend of mine crashed a bike and is paralyzed from the chest down. Literal weeks later another friends dad crashed his car and got the exact same injury right down to the exact same break in the exact same vertebrae

They are paralyzed in the exact same way. It’s unbelievable, really.

I’ll give you one guess how many times I’ve heard “oh my god you still ride after what happened to <friends name>?”, vs how many times I’ve heard “oh my god you still drive after what happened to <other friends name> dad?”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i first started riding, one of my distant relatives posted on my facebook "I hope you are an organ donor."

like, thanks for the vote of confidence, i guess??? that guy has always been weird and awkward, but there was never any bad blood between us or anything. that was just baffling.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

when i first started riding, one of my distant relatives posted on my facebook "I hope you are an organ donor."

like, thanks for the vote of confidence, i guess??? that guy has always been weird and awkward, but there was never any bad blood between us or anything. that was just baffling.

The organ doner thing is such an on brand dig from those type of people.
Yes I am, I always have been. Aren't you? Why would you not be an organ doner, is there something wrong with you? Or are you just selfish? Imo it should be mandatory for all people.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

For the number of people I've met in my life who loving won't drive over a bridge because they're afraid of heights or some other weird poo poo I just chalk it up to people having some weird mental block over doing stuff they perceive as scary. Vehicles are marketed so much as being these things of protection that automate all this safety stuff for you I think the idea that someone would take their own initiative to learn how to operate a dangerous machine safely is completely foreign to them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Yes I am, I always have been. Aren't you? Why would you not be an organ doner, is there something wrong with you? Or are you just selfish? Imo it should be mandatory for all people.

I used to be until I learned how much "organ harvesting" is just mutilating corpses to recover materials for cosmetic procedures and they either ignore the useful organs or destroy them to get whatever rich old people are paying for to pretend not to be old. gently caress that noise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

I used to be until I learned how much "organ harvesting" is just mutilating corpses to recover materials for cosmetic procedures and they either ignore the useful organs or destroy them to get whatever rich old people are paying for to pretend not to be old. gently caress that noise.

that sounds like fearmongering. a healthy liver, kidney, heart, etc is tremendously valuable and the donor waiting lists are years long. if they're "ignoring useful organs" the organs were probably not that useful, e.g. the person died of kidney disease so they can't exactly use those kidneys.

like when someone told me a similar thing about blood donation, "you know they have years and years of blood banked up and they only have blood drives all the time because they make a profit" or something. so the next time i gave blood i asked the nurse about that, and she matter-of-factly said "no, we have less than a week's supply banked, and the blood you're donating today will probably be used within three or four days."

Finger Prince posted:

i wouldn't go so far as to make it mandatory, but it should be opt-out, and it should require a separate form rather than just a checkbox on your driver's license application.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 8, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Midjack posted:

🤷 Seems like a bullshit reason, but you do you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Those loving for profit tissue buzzards are writing the laws that let them get first crack at fresh meat, even before the coroner can look at you. If the last thing I can do is deny a few pennies from some captain of industry and the raw materials to fatten his partner's lips up for a couple of months, it's worth it.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-10-13/body-parts-harvesting-hinders-coroner-autopsies

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i wouldn't go so far as to make it mandatory, but it should be opt-out, and it should require a separate form rather than just a checkbox on your driver's license application.

Surprisingly effective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X68dm92HVI

tldw: for "big" decisions we often prefer to not make any decision at all

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

If someone doesn’t slap this on your tombstone Slavvy I swear.

Nothing passive or 'nice' about my aggression

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
My dad came to visit a couple weeks ago. I was going to tell him I got a bike, but before I could, he told me he went to the funeral of one of his coworkers a couple days earlier who died in a motorcycle collision.

Decided not to say anything.

In general though, I tend to be a bit more gracious when people -- randos or friends -- tell me that riding is dangerous. I assume it comes from a good place and I take it as a reminder to be humble. Good riders, even pros, get injured and killed, so I need to actively mitigate whatever risks I can.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey man
That thing I have no idea how to do?
I'm here to tell you
Shits dangerous bro

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The thing i find amusing is in the same conversation with me, even in literally the next sentence or two, people will go from "oh wow motorcycling is so dangerous" to "oh wow, you mountain bike and ride your bicycle around town, that's so great, i wish i rode my bicycle more".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the one hand, motorbikes have so much kinetic energy

Otoh, on a bicycle you're functionally naked

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Rusty posted:

No one gets to pump their own gas except motorcycles in Oregon, so not only do I get to skip ahead of everyone waiting for the attendant, no one gets out of their cars so I don't have to talk to them.

But have you had the joy of finding the one loving attendant out towards Molalla who is absolutely positive he also has to pump the gas on your motorcycle? The guy who threatens to shut off the pump if you just roll up and start the process, cause apparently if you really know the law, you know you gotta give that guy your keys so he can open the tank and do the whole thing...

Cause man, that guy is a real loving hoot.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Just saw this upcoming Suzuki GSXS 8S on my youtube feed. The usual parallel twin 270 modern standard but this bike looks great. Heavier than the hornet and less powerful but I prefer it.

Oibignose fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 8, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I like Bimota's new KB4 RC

It's a 142 hp Kawasaki engine used in the Ninja 1000SX (my guess)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So, funny (well, not funny at all, actually) story. Sparing the gory details, back in like 2005, a good friend of mine crashed a bike and is paralyzed from the chest down. Literal weeks later another friends dad crashed his car and got the exact same injury right down to the exact same break in the exact same vertebrae

They are paralyzed in the exact same way. It’s unbelievable, really.

I’ll give you one guess how many times I’ve heard “oh my god you still ride after what happened to <friends name>?”, vs how many times I’ve heard “oh my god you still drive after what happened to <other friends name> dad?”

I've brought this up enough that anyone who recognizes my username or my terrible avatar is probably tired of seeing it. But when I broke my leg in my accident in 2019, my primary care doctor broke the same leg in the same way (open tib/fib fracture) by moving his grill across his deck. He slipped on the wood and snapped his leg. Any time someone comes with the "I can't believe you got another motorcycle after what happened to you" I ask if they'd never consider walking across their back deck.

And then I correct them that I did not buy another motorcycle, I bought three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

my terrible avatar

Hey what the hell is that anyways?