Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone will know, they just won't work for Twitter any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I still cannot believe Twitter’s backend is all running pure metal.

The amount of weird sysadmin poo poo it probably takes to keep every service alive is probably enormous. And it’s not like you can just fire up a new instance or roll it back. Especially when it inevitably runs out of space or creds expire.

Lol. Lmao.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

American democracy will probably end tomorrow but at least this provides lols

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

American democracy will probably end tomorrow but at least this provides lols

true, true

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Musk has turned Twitter into Waffleimages in just a few days. It's like he's a genius businessman but only when you play his life in reverse

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Elon will demand employees return and then sue them for leftist discrimination when they say I've gotten another job.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Nah... you got the people at Tesla who designed autopilot using javascript on the case.

Twitter will start running over small children en masse.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Aramis posted:

By the time the dust settles, Twitter is going to be running off a Mastodon instance.

Maybe we were unfair in our interpretation of what @jack meant when he said elmo was the only one who could turn Twitter into an open api/platform

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'm a terrible manager but I'm very glad I've been justified in thinking "Man, firing all your senior devs on things no other dev teams know well seems like a REALLY dumb idea".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

The amount of weird sysadmin poo poo it probably takes to keep every service alive is probably enormous. And it’s not like you can just fire up a new instance or roll it back. Especially when it inevitably runs out of space or creds expire.

Lol. Lmao.

I think it's straightforward to do the basic "shoot text messages into the void" stuff but there's a thousand little things that have been bolted on over the past decade and a half and then you combine that with having to scale everything to be one of the busiest websites on earth and you get something that's a lot harder to manage and maintain than it might appear from the outside.

Looking forward to Elon trying to turn Twitter off and back on again to fix it.

Twitter dying is going to be second only to waffleimages.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

RocketMermaid posted:

Twitter will start running over small children en masse.

Meanwhile your Tesla will only unlock if you pay $8 a month and bellow a slur

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

oh my god Twitter rolls their own datacenters?

there's definitely a load-bearing SGI rack in there somewhere

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Imagine trying to desperately get people back, and giving them a deadline to respond to your generous offer.

drat, that is a level of idiot self-confidence I couldn't achieve if you replaced my blood with uncut cocaine, I'm genuinally a little impressed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm a terrible manager but I'm very glad I've been justified in thinking "Man, firing all your senior devs on things no other dev teams know well seems like a REALLY dumb idea".

No no you see firing everyone means NEW TALENT can bring New ideas. And also fresh bodies to threw into the 124 hour straight work week salt mines of the twitterpire.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Musk’s run on Twitter is kind of nice for community, kind of like Bloomberg’s presidential run, when people from all walks of life can all unite together however briefly under a banner of “lol gently caress that guy”

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

We also never really found out how Jeffrey got rich.

stocks in Goldbelly

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Since elon musk isn’t mad does anyone know where that one thing “and make sure they know I wasn’t mad” came from? I desire to see it even if I definitely butchered it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Convex posted:

fuckin lmao

edit: I mean can we call it that Twitter's dead now? This seems a fatal wound

disclaimer: I may have a vested interest in the outcome of this decision

Are you the fabled 51% controlling shareholder of social media giant Something Awful?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

buglord posted:

Since elon musk isn’t mad does anyone know where that one thing “and make sure they know I wasn’t mad” came from? I desire to see it even if I definitely butchered it.

It's a @Dril tweet, I think he's "my mouth isn't full of blood, it's victory wine" as well.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

buglord posted:

it's probably this tweet but twitter is loading real slow for me today

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I work for a pretty large company and for some reason only I really have access to a bunch of automation we use (because I built it all). Me leaving would be pretty determental, hell it's hard to even take PTO without a call.

I can only imagine Twitter being way worse with it. There has to be a bunch of stuff not working that nobody has access too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during all that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

buglord posted:

I'm 90% sure it's a dril tweet

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Chainclaw posted:

it's probably this tweet but twitter is loading real slow for me today

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

lol thank you goon

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I give it 24 hours before Twitter puts up the Now Hiring signs.

The only engineers willing to work at Twitter right now will be the entrepreneur grifter engineer types who brag about rewriting entire apps in a weekend bender and memorizing entire programming languages. The ninja coder assholes who have zero skill to back it up but worship anyone with more money with them. These people are all over the Bay Area.

Exhausted and give no fucks engineers will let ‘em slip through the interview cracks and things will get even worse. Ahahaha

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/lmanul/status/1589732855449804800

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

What I'm wondering is what happens when a now extremely vulnerable Twitter gets hacked and how long (if ever) it will take them to realize it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I give it 24 hours before Twitter puts up the Now Hiring signs.

The only engineers willing to work at Twitter right now will be the entrepreneur grifter engineer types who brag about rewriting entire apps in a weekend bender and memorizing entire programming languages. The ninja coder assholes who have zero skill to back it up but worship anyone with more money with them. These people are all over the Bay Area.

Exhausted and give no fucks engineers will let ‘em slip through the interview cracks and things will get even worse. Ahahaha

yah its gonna be awesome

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Hopefully Twitter goes down tomorrow.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Speleothing posted:

I'm 90% sure it's a dril tweet

Well I'm 95% sure

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Lol. Lmao.

don't worry, like the tweet guy said the software engineers can "figure it out" lol

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

If you're trying to find the source of a good tweet, it's probably a dril special

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Meta is laying people off, Twitter needs employees, genius timing!

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

teen witch posted:

I’ve dealt with insanely wealthy people for most of my (professional) life in one way or another, and Eel-on baffles me.

he has the inherited wealth but lack of social tact that is usually instilled, and instead, the most psychologically unsettling nouveau riche attitude I’ve ever seen. Like he is straight gauche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7YGSsaKBRw

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll figure it out with the debug points they'll add after every line to boost their commit total.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Hello Sailor posted:

What I'm wondering is what happens when a now extremely vulnerable Twitter gets hacked and how long (if ever) it will take them to realize it

When? It’s probably already compromised six ways from Sunday. It has to have been a standing target for all sorts of state and organized crime groups.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Nah... you got the people at Tesla who designed autopilot using javascript on the case.

Ah, Javascript.

"10" - 2 = 8
"10" + 2 = 102

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm sure everything is very thoroughly documented so any competent dev can just jump straight in and carry on.

lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

nexous posted:

Here is the helpful chart

Lmao 25 hours of their “work week” is eating meals and “personal time”. gently caress youuuuuuuuu

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Is it really? Openpilot is in python which I thought was pretty interesting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So when Elon defaults on his $44 billion loan what happens?

Like who starts repossessing what?