Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

My boss has been out of office for 2 weeks dealing with personal stuff, which is only infuriating because we're not allowed even the occasional WFH days anymore.

Of course I never was because he phased them out as I was first coming on lmaoooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not stoked to be going to a conference all by myself but what the hell, I’ll have most of the day Tuesday and Thursday afternoon/evening in San Francisco free to do what I want, so I can’t complain too much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have (regrettably) some Delinea, formerly Centrify/Thycotic products.

Which one of you suggested the new logo? It even kinda has the ring.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

Also you're only young once. Keep putting off Big Thing until some arbitrary condition exists means you're gonna hit 50 and wonder what the gently caress happened. Get your midlife crisis done now. :v:

Don't doxx me, please.

rafikki posted:

Mastodon is seeing a big uptick. I signed up over the weekend to follow some of the infosec accounts I watch on Twitter and it seems fine. I know there are definitely challenges with it, like I think the admins of whatever server you register on can see your DMs and there will probably be impersonation issues copying people’s handles on other servers but as a pure Twitter replacing it seems ok.

Sickening posted:

Mastodon sucks. I don't see it being the one.

That whole thing with multiple unrelated servers is a shitshow.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

bull3964 posted:

Do you not interact with virtually anything?

No. Not really. I use my maps app to see if traffic sucks and I get emails from businesses that I ignore mostly. When I want bourbon I just go to the liquor store and see what they have. My kids schools email me all the day time about stuff too. I don’t think my life has suffered for twitters absence at all. I actually think the price of admission from a surrendering your data/mental health perspective is not worth it at all.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
tfw a colleague puts a plaintext database password into source code when a “useExistingSecret” field is one line below, and the password is the same as the username, and there is a “should be changed to something more secure” in a comment.

This was for the prod rollout :negative:

Also Musk is the worst but I actually think his strategy of monetizing the worst parts of human nature will be very effective. $8/user for more effective bot propaganda/disinfo campaigns seems like a great way to get some money from governments.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I wish someone would name himself edge and just follow IE around posting “I’m better than you”

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I wish someone would name himself edge and just follow IE around posting “I’m better than you”

Be the change you want to see in the world

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oooo, just what I've always wanted, my own groupie.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

jaegerx posted:

too lazy to do your own trolling you're trying to outsource it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Best shoring is the term now.

internet expIorer
Nov 8, 2022
without blue checkmarks the world is chaos!

I am deprecated!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

internet expIorer posted:

I am deprecated!

:lmao:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Names are case sensitive? God drat it Jeffrey

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

that's an I in explorer not an L

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

johnny park posted:

I bet you're fun at parties

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

johnny park posted:

Is santa clause fake too?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I am deprecated!

No loyalty anymore.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
More like internet exploder

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

Twitter is really useful for following infosec and IT people. 2 weeks ago I was able to DM the head program manager of azure ad connect and ask him a quick question, and he actually responded.

For real. Twitter is like really useful. And now Elon is slowly ruining it. :smith:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For real. Twitter is like really useful. And now Elon is slowly ruining it. :smith:

"slowly"

Twitter's good for infosec, breaking news, and it was normally faster find a company's tweets about an outage than to track down their (outdated) status page.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am deprecated!

Bahahaha

my blue star ;_;

Someone did a Jeffery of YOSPOS instead of Jeffrey of YOSPOS and hilarity ensued.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I am trying to remain positive. Twitter is freaking good. Yea, it's a kind of dumb and simple service but it does the job super well.

Tech aside. Twitter has to a degree replaced my news. I've just started following scientists, politicians, academics, etc. directly. There's less of a need to read some journalists summary of whatever issue these days especially when they're just referencing whatever report.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 8, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I am trying to remain positive. Twitter is freaking good. Yea, it's a kind of dumb and simple service but it does the job super well.

Tech aside. Twitter has to a degree replaced my news. I've just started following scientists, politicians, academics, etc. directly.

Politics and elon aside, I'm quite surprised twitter had 7k employees. Like I never saw anything big change except for 144 characters to become 280. I realize it's a huge site and 100 million tweets a day and poo poo but eventually you kinda just figure that poo poo out and coast.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Holy gently caress. 7k? Goddamn. There must have been insane overhead or redundant positions.

I'm still sad. Twitter is freaking cool as hell and some dumb rear end in a top hat is ruining it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Needed 6000 of them to remove fake news and racism.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I remember 1 place trying to recruit me by saying, we're hired over 100 engineers this year. Like uh why?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

jaegerx posted:

I remember 1 place trying to recruit me by saying, we're hired over 100 engineers this year. Like uh why?

Pretty sure that was negging

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Holy gently caress. 7k? Goddamn. There must have been insane overhead or redundant positions.

I'm still sad. Twitter is freaking cool as hell and some dumb rear end in a top hat is ruining it.

Apparently they laid off 70 people in Boulder, CO today. I didn’t even know we had Twitter here.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

navyjack posted:

Apparently they laid off 70 people in Boulder, CO today. I didn’t even know we had Twitter here.

I only tweet when high or pissed off a at company, I will miss that. American Airlines fixed my global pass because I tweeted at that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the entire concept of Twitter is proof that bullying works

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Tech aside. Twitter has to a degree replaced my news. I've just started following scientists, politicians, academics, etc. directly. There's less of a need to read some journalists summary of whatever issue these days especially when they're just referencing whatever report.

I've ditched FB (too much drama and vaguebooking) for Twitter for this reason. Then I had to stop following politicians/politics because that poo poo got toxic really fast. Started following some fun & optimistic channels and it def. improved the experience. Now this!

Love the drama of Elon insta-banning accounts impersonating him in the blue check fiasco, though. Showed his true colors real fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Explains why chuds are so enthusiastic about controlling it (or their hellspawn clones).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

jaegerx posted:

My last gig was like this. For a 350 person company it was like 275 engineers, and they never shipped anything :rolleyes:

Current job has a similar headcount except it ... actually has staffed and defined departments (and a successful mature product). I can't get over people having actual specific jobs and not just random admin staff doing five different things each.

My first week at my new job I was like, "wait, there's a whole separate Security department ... and it has FIVE STAFF!?" We actually have a guy whose entire job is actually facilities!

At my last place I was the only IT person for far too many people for far too long (I eventually got to hire three more), networking, security, facilities including an entire office move almost completely by myself, half of "employee experience" with someone else whose job it shouldn't have been, and so much regular office admin because they kept trying to make HR hires do it and they always got fed up and quit.

One of my previous hires coincidentally starting at my new place tomorrow. I didn't bring him over, but put his name at the top of the list when I saw the applicants. He was awesome and I'm really glad he's coming over.

Why didn't I quit sooner? I just couldn't find the right job/pay anywhere within a reasonable commute. If I wanted to spend ~3 hours driving every day I could have managed it. Eventually I did find a decent place with great (for Toronto IT) comp that's a 15 minute bike ride from home.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So how long before InfoSec makes people remove Twitter from devices?

https://twitter.com/stevekrenzel/status/1589700721121058817

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bonzo posted:

So how long before InfoSec makes people remove Twitter from devices?

https://twitter.com/stevekrenzel/status/1589700721121058817

This likely happens for all social networks.

If it’s free, you’re the product.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

incredibly lol if you use a product's app instead of just visiting through the browser

especially if that product relies advertising income

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are a lot of great third-party Twitter clients (for like the next week before the site implodes). As a mobile experience, any of those are better than the mobile website or the official app, the latter of which has generally found new ways to suck every few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Or, you know, uninstall Twitter.

It's pretty funny that guy posted that thread from the Twitter app for iPhone