Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Go to microcenter and buy whatever is on the list that you can get there for cheaper/the equivalent price. Iirc they give you a discount for buying the motherboard and CPU at the same time. Order everything else online.

When considering what to buy online if the prices are close but not totally the same just ask yourself how much savings is worth a potential return through the mail rather than an exchange at microcenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

My understanding is that the HD 630 is the same GPU as the UHD 630, the latter just being a rebadge, and it would be powerful enough for Plex thanks to it's Quicksync capabilities as outlined here, however due to power draw concerns I will look at other options first.

Well, yes it will run plex without issue. Plex doesn’t require much to run.

GPU is also not much of a concern. Most of the heavy lifting in plex is CPU based rather than GPU based.

It comes down to nitty gritty though of source quality and codec, player compatibility, energy consumption, how tolerant you are of bitrate dumping on transcodes, etc.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
PC Case recommendation needed:

I have a fairly new rig stuffed into the case from a previous build from 2015. The case is old and big (Fractal Designs R5 I think- lost the manual). The rear fan just stopped working and a bunch of the USB ports no longer work. It's also just too big and bulky for where I have it now, so I'm in the market for a new case. Current specs are:

Motherboard: X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 eight-core (stock fan)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080

I keep up on stuff like CPUs and GPUs, but I really don't read about cases, so I'd at least like some recommendations on where I should look. I'm in the US, and my budget is around $200. I'd prefer a case without lights (no glass side either) that fits comfortably and safely around my hardware and has space for at least two hard drives. I don't need it to be terribly compact, but if I could get one smaller than my current case, that'd be nice. If there's anymore information I need to give, tell me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

I have a fairly new rig stuffed into the case from a previous build from 2015. The case is old and big (Fractal Designs R5 I think- lost the manual). The rear fan just stopped working and a bunch of the USB ports no longer work. It's also just too big and bulky for where I have it now, so I'm in the market for a new case. Current specs are:

Motherboard: X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 eight-core (stock fan)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080

I keep up on stuff like CPUs and GPUs, but I really don't read about cases, so I'd at least like some recommendations on where I should look. I'm in the US, and my budget is around $200. I'd prefer a case without lights (no glass side either) that fits comfortably and safely around my hardware and has space for at least two hard drives. I don't need it to be terribly compact, but if I could get one smaller than my current case, that'd be nice. If there's anymore information I need to give, tell me.

The Meshify 2 Compact fits your needs well. It has good airflow, three included fans, and Fractal Design is one of the only brands who are still offering metal side panel options. Plus you should be familiar with the layout since it's still based on the Define series.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Questions from the OP:

quote:

What country are you in? Canada

Do you live near Microcenter? No

What are you using the system for?
Web, office, shitposting, Plex transcoding, infrequent gaming - generally older/not very graphically intensive games but might want to play Diablo 4 if it doesn't suck

What's your budget? <$1000 (keeping my EVGA GTX 1660)

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics?
1920x1080 @ 60hz using my existing EVGA GTX 1660, I'd like things not to lag and not look awful... so maybe medium settings?

The motherboard on my current system is acting up and replacing that means a new CPU and RAM. Plus my system is about 7 years old now so I should probably replace the power supply too while I'm at it meaning I'm basically building a whole new computer. I'm coming from a Haswell that still does what I need. I don't want to get an econobox but I don't want to go crazy either. I pulled this together but I'm really not in the know on system building these days. I'd like to get it cheaper if possible.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($180.79 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($175.14 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($103.95 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($101.60 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($177.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS 850 Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($202.72 @ iSanek)
Total: $941.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-07 18:45 EST-0500

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two decent Microcenter deals

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shofixti posted:

The motherboard on my current system is acting up and replacing that means a new CPU and RAM. Plus my system is about 7 years old now so I should probably replace the power supply too while I'm at it meaning I'm basically building a whole new computer.

I'm curious, how did you come to the conclusion that your motherboard was responsible for the problems? These past few weeks my PC's been afflicted with an inexplicable, generalized slowdown, and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it or how to find out. I ran a PassMark performance test and ended up with a score of 1206.6, which is awful, but literally every component performed poorly, so I can't single anything out.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Shofixti posted:

Questions from the OP:

The motherboard on my current system is acting up and replacing that means a new CPU and RAM. Plus my system is about 7 years old now so I should probably replace the power supply too while I'm at it meaning I'm basically building a whole new computer. I'm coming from a Haswell that still does what I need. I don't want to get an econobox but I don't want to go crazy either. I pulled this together but I'm really not in the know on system building these days. I'd like to get it cheaper if possible.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($180.79 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($175.14 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($103.95 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($101.60 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($177.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS 850 Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($202.72 @ iSanek)
Total: $941.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-07 18:45 EST-0500
you can get the Ryzen 5600 non-G for less than that 5600G and it's significantly better. there is no reason to ever consider a 5600G unless you want to use the iGPU because you are on an intense budget and can't afford a discrete GPU.

you can get a 1TB WD SN570 for the same price as that SN550, so just get that instead, it's much better (TLC instead of QLC, faster speeds, higher capacity).

you can certainly save on the case - some very good options that are available for cheaper are the Fractal Pop Air, Fractal Meshify 2 Compact Lite, Phanteks P360A, Corsair 4000D Airflow, and Lian Li Lancool 215.

you're spending way too much on the PSU - how much room do you want to have to upgrade the GPU in the future? you don't need 850W unless you want a high-end GPU. you'd be fine with 550W with your current GPU, but 650W would give you more room to upgrade in the future.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Two decent Microcenter deals

That is an insane price on that SSD. Enough that it may warrant me upgrading if it’s not a poo poo SSD. Anyone know anything about it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

That is an insane price on that SSD. Enough that it may warrant me upgrading if it’s not a poo poo SSD. Anyone know anything about it?

Here’s a link to the slickdeals thread. Only real complaint I saw was that it’s a little slow but it’s the best price per MB you can get

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/766453

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

lih posted:

you can get the Ryzen 5600 non-G for less than that 5600G and it's significantly better. there is no reason to ever consider a 5600G unless you want to use the iGPU because you are on an intense budget and can't afford a discrete GPU.

you can get a 1TB WD SN570 for the same price as that SN550, so just get that instead, it's much better (TLC instead of QLC, faster speeds, higher capacity).

you can certainly save on the case - some very good options that are available for cheaper are the Fractal Pop Air, Fractal Meshify 2 Compact Lite, Phanteks P360A, Corsair 4000D Airflow, and Lian Li Lancool 215.

you're spending way too much on the PSU - how much room do you want to have to upgrade the GPU in the future? you don't need 850W unless you want a high-end GPU. you'd be fine with 550W with your current GPU, but 650W would give you more room to upgrade in the future.

Thanks! Changing the HDD, case and PSU knocked almost $150 off the price. The CPU is a bit less clear:

Due to deals it seems the 5600G is cheaper but if the non-G is significantly better it seems worth paying extra. However, is the 5600X worth that little bit extra above the non-G?

Phlegmish posted:

I'm curious, how did you come to the conclusion that your motherboard was responsible for the problems? These past few weeks my PC's been afflicted with an inexplicable, generalized slowdown, and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it or how to find out. I ran a PassMark performance test and ended up with a score of 1206.6, which is awful, but literally every component performed poorly, so I can't single anything out.

Admittedly I'm not 100% sure but I've been getting USB errors on boot, so much so that my Linux Mint hangs while booting while trying to figure out some USB error codes. Windows loads but the device manager shows that things aren't going well with the onboard USB hubs

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there is barely any difference between the 5600 and 5600X, it's not worth paying extra.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shofixti posted:

Thanks! Changing the HDD, case and PSU knocked almost $150 off the price. The CPU is a bit less clear:

Due to deals it seems the 5600G is cheaper but if the non-G is significantly better it seems worth paying extra. However, is the 5600X worth that little bit extra above the non-G?

Admittedly I'm not 100% sure but I've been getting USB errors on boot, so much so that my Linux Mint hangs while booting while trying to figure out some USB error codes. Windows loads but the device manager shows that things aren't going well with the onboard USB hubs

Do you have a GPU already, or will you need to buy a new one? I assumed you were going with the 5600G because of the iGPU - the 5600 and such don't have built-in graphics.

On the old machine I'd suggest detaching the front-panel USB connectors from the motherboard and see if the sketchy behavior continues.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you have a GPU already, or will you need to buy a new one? I assumed you were going with the 5600G because of the iGPU - the 5600 and such don't have built-in graphics.

On the old machine I'd suggest detaching the front-panel USB connectors from the motherboard and see if the sketchy behavior continues.

I'd be retaining the EVGA GTX 1660 SC Ultra from my current system but good call I haven't tried that yet!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh yeah, I wanted to thank the thread now that I'm done picking parts. Thanks for all the help with my questions! I probably spent more than I strictly needed to, but I'm really excited to do a new build with the flashy new features and super-fast storage I've been missing out on. This thread is always an awesome resource and helps me get up to speed after being out of the PC parts sphere for a while.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I'm going to get a RTX 4080 or the 7900XTX. It will be paired with a 5900x for the immediate future. My PC's power supply is 750W, but it is nearing 10 years of age and it seems like a good idea to replace it given the strain the new generation of gas guzzlers will place it under.

I am looking at 850W units (e.g. Superflower Leadex III Gold), but with Intel rolling out a 300W i9, maybe a 1000W PSU isn't so crazy? It seems like overkill, but if the current trend (more power used to max performance from a slower cadence of node shrinks) continues it may also be a more future proof buy. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 8, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shofixti posted:

I'd be retaining the EVGA GTX 1660 SC Ultra from my current system but good call I haven't tried that yet!

I don’t think you posted the rest of your system, but a 1660 could absolutely be your bottleneck.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What country are you in? - Houston, TX :911:
Do you live near Microcenter? - Yes, it's a 15 minute drive away.
What are you using the system for? - Games, mostly, with a bit of movie watching and sub-par posting.
What's your budget? - Let's use $3000 as a hard ceiling for everything inside the case, but we don't need to spend that much. I've been limping along on a 3570K+GTX970 for longer than I can remember so any upgrade will feel like a dream. Even if I am splurging just this once, there's no need to be outright wasteful.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? - The goal is 4K at 120Hz with high-ish non-ultra settings. Let's fly high, but not touch the sun. I have to get used to all these frames first.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? - Unless there's a legit way to rock-solid segregate all my work data/spyware from my personal poo poo/viruses, I will be doing zero work stuff on my new computer. I have a separate tower for work, provided by my work. However, it is almost 7 years old at this point and I often work faster than the computer can handle. However, I don't know how much of that is hardware vs software in not being able to keep up with me, nor how I could find out. ~18 months ago, IT turned me down for any kind of upgrade, and things are even crazier at my co. these days, so if I can take advantage of this new PC's performance at work with no risk to them or myself, I am very much listening. The job is architectural and structural engineering design, so there's force calculations, working with very large image/PDFs, and ancient programs that store everything in one giant flatfile. Minimal 3d visualization or hardcore CAD work, but it does happen, if rarely. No final fancy rendering or that kind of stuff though.
Since the Microcenter guys asked I'll also add these: - I don't care about RGB stuff. I do have a wired connection, so I don't need integrated wifi, but it seems like that is the norm at this point anyway. I am skeptical of liquid cooling for sound and longevity reasons. I am not against it, just worried and unfamiliar. I am capable and willing to add/move case fans as recommended or required.

PCPartPicker Part List (click this to get non-microcenter links)
GPU: Some flavor of 4080, I'm in no rush to choose. I can wait until all the reviews/tests are done in a month or so to pick a specifc one, if they are better for me than AMD's cards.
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($299.99 at Microcenter, see MB line for shared (double?) discount)
Alt. CPU?: (+$55) Intel Core i7-13700K Raptor Lake 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($355.00 @ Microcenter if I can get that deal posted today. Worth it, maybe?)
CPU Cooler: Deep Cool AK620 ($59.99 @ Microcenter) - Seems great, even if it is slightly louder than the Fuma 2 I was looking for, which they don't sell.
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 -$20(x2?) for MB+CPU combo deal @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-5600 PC5-44800 CL36 Dual Channel Memory ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 1TB 3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ($94.99 @ Microcenter) I have other, older SSDs that I will carry over for extra storage.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case ($0, Already owned) - An old case, but it should have plenty of space and features for everything.
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $964.94~$1,039.95, with ~$1200 reserved for the GPU comes to ~$2250 so far.
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-06 21:43 EST-0500 and dicked around with by Roumba

850W seems a little like overkill, but that is what was suggested. Also, I know next to nothing about motherboards, RAM or these new-fangled non-SATA SSDs. I probably picked garbo versions of those.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Shofixti posted:

Newegg has a deal for the 5600 for 120 USD right now, although I actually have no idea if that helps you in Canada.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/766504

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What is everyone's experience buying parts on Black Friday? I was going to pull the trigger on my parts this week but I was thinking I can wait a couple weeks to buy everything if I can get some good deals. In general is that a good idea or is everything always sold out on Black Friday and it'll be a huge pain in the rear end buying stuff the whole week after?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Meshify 2 Compact fits your needs well. It has good airflow, three included fans, and Fractal Design is one of the only brands who are still offering metal side panel options. Plus you should be familiar with the layout since it's still based on the Define series.

Appreciate the recommendation. I'll look into it, thanks.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

What is everyone's experience buying parts on Black Friday? I was going to pull the trigger on my parts this week but I was thinking I can wait a couple weeks to buy everything if I can get some good deals. In general is that a good idea or is everything always sold out on Black Friday and it'll be a huge pain in the rear end buying stuff the whole week after?

It’s pretty unlikely that you’ll get deals on all the parts you want. I’d say buy your parts now and have the PC to enjoy over the holidays.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yudo posted:

I'm going to get a RTX 4080 or the 7900XTX. It will be paired with a 5900x for the immediate future. My PC's power supply is 750W, but it is nearing 10 years of age and it seems like a good idea to replace it given the strain the new generation of gas guzzlers will place it under.

I am looking at 850W units (e.g. Superflower Leadex III Gold), but with Intel rolling out a 300W i9, maybe a 1000W PSU isn't so crazy? It seems like overkill, but if the current trend (more power used to max performance from a slower cadence of node shrinks) continues it may also be a more future proof buy. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I’m in a similar boat and I’m looking for a 1000W. The price difference isn’t huge so might as well have some breathing room just incase I need it down the line.

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea especially when it comes to something that can theoretically last 10 years.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’m in a similar boat and I’m looking for a 1000W. The price difference isn’t huge so might as well have some breathing room just incase I need it down the line.

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea especially when it comes to something that can theoretically last 10 years.

With the coupon code (-$25), this IMO is a very decent price for a high quality 1000W PSU.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-platinum-se-sf-1000f14mp-v2-1000w/p/1HU-024C-00020?Item=9SIAMNPC0F2629

I also am somewhat ambivalent about buying an expensive PSU with ATX 3.0 perhaps becoming a thing, though it is more hype than substance at this point and the PCIE5 connector is not something I would ever use, given the option.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nitsuga posted:

It’s pretty unlikely that you’ll get deals on all the parts you want. I’d say buy your parts now and have the PC to enjoy over the holidays.

Newegg is offering Black Friday price protection so it doesn't super matter if you're buying from them anyways

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
So I've posted over the last few pages about a new build, premised upon a mITX case (or compact ATX case of similar size). The reality is that I have to fit a case into this space:

The main area in which I could put a case is H:45cm x W:40cm c D:48cm. This is part of a large colonial desk but I don't mind getting the saw back out if necessary to make the space slightly deeper or taller (I can't change the width).

The practicalities (unless anyone seeks to persuade me otherwise) is that whatever case I go for needs to have sufficient space around it that there is some airflow. The back of the desk is open (and I could further open it up if necessary or put some fans there) and you can see a 5 inch fans on each side doing a push/pull airflow across the cupboard controlled by a AC Infinity controller.

Looking at some likely contenders I get the following various options:

Can anyone recommend a case for the space? I'm likely to put in some very power heavy (and therefore heat heavy) components.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Have you considering making the desk the case? Dunno your skill level, but if the desk is cooled it’s workable IMO.
Possible but a bit out of my comfort zone and I'd just rather not.

[Edit]I put 55cm for the height, not 45cm both in the text and image. It's 45cm not 55cm.

Bouchehog fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 8, 2022

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Pennsylvanian posted:

The table in my above might help!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bouchehog posted:

Can anyone recommend a case for the space? I'm likely to put in some very power heavy (and therefore heat heavy) components.

The FD Torrent is already on your list and is a fan favorite right now, but the new FD Pop Air might also be a good option and looks like it would fit with some space around it for air.

GN just did a "Best cases of 2022" roundup so that might help you narrow your list down. They liked both the Pop and Torrent.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Bouchehog posted:

The table in my above might help!

replace the fans in the desk with 120mm pmw fans both in a pull config and use cable extenders into your pc case so it can be controlled by your PC fan headers and chose any of the FD cases you like. Now you can technically say your desk is your PC since its all connected :buddy:

Also you dont have the FD Define 7 on the list. those are good cases and cheaper than most of your list. oops didnt notice the depth requirement.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 8, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Something like the xtia xproto or xproto L could work well in there. Just have to rig up some supplemental airflow in to the cabinet. I like mine a lot although it lives outside.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GN's benchmarking of the 7950X's eco modes paints it in the same light as the 4090: juiced to the tits for very minor gains.

Performance losses for going to 105W eco mode are so minimal its a wonder it didn't ship at that, with headroom above for overclockers.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Even better would be just a milk crate

total height with the mobo + Noctua D15 ontop of the milkcrate would be around 50cm. Even the a 4090 fe shorter once slotted into pcie slot compared to a D15. A standard milk crate is 13"W x 13"H x 11"L so you can place a full sized atx board on it. You can place the PSU and hdd inside the upside down milk crate and use zipties to hold everything in place and its got great ventilation and holes to route all your wires.

pros:
-cheap
-modular and compatible with everything
-great airflow
-the milk crate is non-conductive!
-easy to build on
-easy to connected the fans on the desk onto the mobo since there is no case!
-your desk becomes the PC case

cons:
-USE BY OTHER THAN REGISTERED OWNER PUNISHABLE BY LAW

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 8, 2022

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know when exactly I'm going to pull the trigger on this build, but I have had some parts selected for a while and I figure I could use some checking.

Purpose: Gaming, Photoshop (I figure anything good for gaming is also going to cover photoshop's demands)
Budget: ~$1200. In the past it's been more like $1000, but GPUs are still a bit messed up and I have begrudgingly acknowledged the reality of inflation.
Target Resolution: (Intended monitor purchase included in part list) 1440p. I would be happy if this machine could output 1440p @ 100+ FPS /w medium-high settings for competitive games, and 60 FPS for more cinematic/heavy games. I tend to ride computers into the dirt and upgrade every 5 years (it's been 7 for this one...) so if I can still manage 1440p 60fps at medium-low settings by the end of this console cycle then I will be pleased.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($154.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H610M-E D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($400.00) (Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ EVGA)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q-P 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor
Total: $1094.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-08 12:03 EST-0500

Notes:

-CPU cooling: I have zero intentions of overclocking this machine, and the stock intel cooler I'm sitting next to has never been an issue. I'm open to advice here, but I will need to be convinced that it's a good idea to spend $40 on an aftermarket HSF.

-Motherboard: I don't know poo poo about what's good with motherboards. This one seems to have the socket I need, 2 NVME slots for storage, and not inexplicably cost $300. I have owned Asus mobos in the past without issue.

-Memory: My current machine has 16 GB RAM (it must have been very cheap in late 2015), and it is morally offensive to me to build a new machine with the same amount of memory, so it's gonna be 32. My general impression is that unless you have some very specific producitivity-oriented performance needs, fast memory is largely a waste of money. That said, I don't know poo poo about what's good with memory or where the sweet spot is. I've bought this brand before and the price is right.

-Storage: This will be my first M2 build and first time with no platter drive. SSD prices seem to still be steadily plunging, so I don't know if it makes sense to stretch for a 2TB boot drive here, especially when I will have a spare NVME socket to expand later when prices are lower. I am still using a HDD for a lot of things and my boot drive is a (old, tiny) SATA SSD, so practically any modern configuration will feel great for me here I'm sure. Maybe it makes more sense to have a 1TB NVME boot drive, plus a number of slightly slower, cheaper SATA SSDs?

-Case: I don't know poo poo about cases, just need something decent and functional at a fair price. I won't be posting pictures of my "battlestation".

-PSU: EVGA is a decent brand and this seemed like enough juice at a reasonable price? I don't know about PSUs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yudo posted:

With the coupon code (-$25), this IMO is a very decent price for a high quality 1000W PSU.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-platinum-se-sf-1000f14mp-v2-1000w/p/1HU-024C-00020?Item=9SIAMNPC0F2629

I also am somewhat ambivalent about buying an expensive PSU with ATX 3.0 perhaps becoming a thing, though it is more hype than substance at this point and the PCIE5 connector is not something I would ever use, given the option.

Thanks this looks pretty good! I’ve never heard of this brand before is it worth a shot?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Scoss posted:

-CPU cooling: I have zero intentions of overclocking this machine, and the stock intel cooler I'm sitting next to has never been an issue. I'm open to advice here, but I will need to be convinced that it's a good idea to spend $40 on an aftermarket HSF.

The 12400F wouldn't need anything heavy-duty and you could probably get away with a stock cooler if you don't mind the extra noise or lack of thermal headroom, but there's a lot of $20-or-less 120mm tower coolers that would keep it running dead silent and ice cold at all times.

Scoss posted:

-Case: I don't know poo poo about cases, just need something decent and functional at a fair price. I won't be posting pictures of my "battlestation".

Fractal released an updated version of that case recently called the Focus 2 - aesthetics not withstanding, it'd be a lot nicer to build inside of since it has more space for cable management and no welded drive cages getting in the way.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks this looks pretty good! I’ve never heard of this brand before is it worth a shot?

Super Flower is basically an S-tier PSU maker

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

change my name posted:

Super Flower is basically an S-tier PSU maker

Amazing! Ordered!

Just need a cpu and mb now lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Super Flower have been around for a long time but primarily acted as an OEM for other manufacturers like EVGA, it's just recently they started selling PSUs directly under their own brand in the US

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

repiv posted:

Super Flower have been around for a long time but primarily acted as an OEM for other manufacturers like EVGA, it's just recently they started selling PSUs directly under their own brand in the US

I don't know how commonly available their products were, but I have several Superflower cases that came w/ power supplies that I ordered from domestic online retailers. That was about 20 years ago, in the us. They've made some neat cases over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
There's also a good 850W Super Flower PSU on newegg at the moment. 80+platinum and modular.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-v-platinum-pro-sf-850f14tp-850w/p/1HU-024C-00043?item=9SIAMNPF9M4221

That's pretty good for $120, and it has Black Friday discount protection too.