Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's so hosed that the Yankees signed Severino at the same time as they signed Hicks and for 2 years shorter LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pretty good thread from Puig here:

https://twitter.com/YasielPuig/status/1587945632890691584

Looks like he has finally received help for his mental health issues, and is thriving in Korea.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Traxis posted:

Looks like he has finally received help for his mental health issues, and is thriving in Korea.

Good for him!

Hopefully the fix was "allow him to feast on bats as he sees fit, dental expenditures be damned"

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Walker
Degrom
Bassitt
Nimmo? are all in the free agent pool.

I wonder how drastically the Mets team looks like next year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't even remember hearing that Puig was in the KBO

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's had a solid but not world-beating year there, .841 OPS and his team is currently down 2-3 in the Korean Series

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ok I just want to leave this here, because history needs to remember Honus Wagner.

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1589433245338587136?s=20&t=KfuH81EM_q4ToNUhHUo62g

Look at that motherfucker. He looks like he's made of wood.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Traxis posted:

Good for him.

I always liked Puig; he was treated really poorly even though it was really clear he just needed support. I'm glad his current team gets it, but even happier he understands what the issue was.

If he's doing well in KBO, there's probably no reason to come back to a league where the press is never going to forget the past.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well there are the multiple accusations of sexual harassment against Puig including one case settled out of court so I'm not gonna jump on the Puig redemption bandwagon just yet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1589610910057787392

Is this about Stroman

Popete posted:

Well there are the multiple accusations of sexual harassment against Puig including one case settled out of court so I'm not gonna jump on the Puig redemption bandwagon just yet.

Oh, gently caress, I hadn't heard that. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1589610910057787392

Is this about Stroman

Oh, gently caress, I hadn't heard that. :(

I think it has something to do with Stroman continuing to go after a female reporter on Twitter who criticized his big brained totally not anti-semitic Tweet last week.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

I think it has something to do with Stroman continuing to go after a female reporter on Twitter who criticized his big brained totally not anti-semitic Tweet last week.

https://twitter.com/STR0/status/1589604181761200129

Whyyyyyy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Marcus going for the tried and true Tweeting thru it.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Popete posted:

Marcus going for the tried and true Tweeting thru it.

He probably should've signed with the Cardinals, he'd have the full support of the fanbase

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Forrest on Fire posted:

He probably should've signed with the Cardinals, he'd have the full support of the fanbase

lol he's got the full support of the fanbase in Chicago, scroll down the replies of any of his tweets in this dumb saga and 99% are siding with him and dogpiling on the deadspin reporter for being a secret reverse racist who just wanted an excuse to pile on Stroman because he's black

For what it's worth I don't think Stroman is an anti-semite, I think he's just a dipshit. He was similarly trying to argue that Kyrie was getting piled on by the media for a retweet because of his race vs white people who are overtly more racist and get a pass until it builds up to a nuclear level. Although even if I'm right it doesn't make any of his twitter meltdown okay, particularly since a component of it is him tacitly unleashing his fans and followers on a female journalist who had the audacity to ask him to clarify a post that could be taken as an anti-Jewish dog whistle with extreme ease.

Sources for why I consider Marcus a dipshit: he is/was balls deep in crypto in general and NFT's in particular for an embarrassingly long amount of time, like as recently as this spring he was bragging online about his apes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
No big deal just a bunch of people insisting there's no history of antisemitism behind the idea of media control

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1589779356859002880

I feel a little bad for Yordan here because he shouldn't even get a second place vote much less a first but hey I guess it's cool to be one of the top three

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1589779356859002880

I feel a little bad for Yordan here because he shouldn't even get a second place vote much less a first but hey I guess it's cool to be one of the top three

Yeah he is definitely the third best, but it's just such a wide gulf, like put him about 20 feet back in that picture.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/wcgroovy/status/1589708360076922880

Astros redemption tour going well.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah I was at the parade and we booed that motherfucker loud.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They should have been more careful, that could have popped him and released the eldritch horrors trapped within.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Stroman’s posts have always been of the fake-deep moron variety. He’s plainly stupid and for once that’s not my anti-Cub prejudice talking lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The most charitable take is Stroman wasn't trying to be anti-Semitic but simply doesn't understand why what he said raises eye brows. His refusal to try to understand that and instead triple down on it is just dumb.

Of course he could have fully well understood what he was saying but denied it when someone called him out. Either way it's bad and going after a female reporter and having all your Twitter followers do the same is Trevor Bauer level of Twitter stupid.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very excited for Ohtani to win MVP number two now that the playoffs exposed Judge for being so terrible

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, give Judge a different award like idk Comeback Player of the Year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mdemone posted:

Look at that motherfucker. He looks like he's made of wood.

That pose says if you got it flaunt it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Most bigots are dumb and form their opinions from some misinformation they don’t have the critical thinking skills to see the flaws in and then stubbornly double down when’s one one says something instead of considering they might have been wrong. We should stop giving a pass to the ones who are just really good at something.

Basically what separates “ignorant” from “bigot” is what you choose to do after someone points it out. These guys like Kyrie and Stro are making an informed choice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That pose says if you got it flaunt it

Honus to the photographer: just work with me on this one

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When do award winners get annouced

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When do award winners get annouced

Monday, Nov. 14: Jackie Robinson Rookies of the Year
Tuesday, Nov. 15: Managers of the Year
Wednesday, Nov. 16: Cy Young Awards
Thursday, Nov. 17: MVP Awards

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Checking in on MLB's primary crypto partnership, things appear to be going well:

https://twitter.com/PeckShieldAlert/status/1589461996357185537
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1589820547877474305

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

speaking of which did NFTs just like, go away? I haven't heard about NFTs in forever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It turns out unless you're a dumb athlete or celebrity nobody actually wants to spend money on a monkey smoking a cigarette.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

speaking of which did NFTs just like, go away? I haven't heard about NFTs in forever

Like most scams it quickly bled through its pool of suckers. It also turns out something like 90% of NFT sales were fake and just the same couple crypto wallets shifting NFT's back and forth at insane values to make it look like they were worth way more than they actually were to try and lure more potential victims in. These days almost nobody is legitimately buying or selling NFT's for anything above absolutely negligible real money values.

If you've got two hours to kill for whatever reason Folding Ideas put together what is the quintessential explanation of what Crypto/NFT's is and why what that is, is nothing but a massive ponzi scam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Like most scams it quickly bled through its pool of suckers. It also turns out something like 90% of NFT sales were fake and just the same couple crypto wallets shifting NFT's back and forth at insane values to make it look like they were worth way more than they actually were to try and lure more potential victims in. These days almost nobody is legitimately buying or selling NFT's for anything above absolutely negligible real money values.

If you've got two hours to kill for whatever reason Folding Ideas put together what is the quintessential explanation of what Crypto/NFT's is and why what that is, is nothing but a massive ponzi scam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

basically until this video mainstream journalism covered crypto and NFTs with the wide-eyed wonder of the 90s internet: "whoa, I don't totally understand this but here's a guy whose title is 'crypto sensei' at a startup talking about how it's the future!" and covering the massive (fake) amount of money these things were selling for

it skated by on being new enough that scam artists and true believers could handwave any arguments about why it was obviously worthless with "you just don't understand it, old man, have fun staying poor" and journalists generally gave it the benefit of the doubt because "it sounds really stupid, but there must be something I'm not getting that makes it make sense"

that video honestly helped break down in great detail exactly what was happening and how actually no, the emperor's new clothes aren't the amazing new future, there's just a bunch of naked idiots trying to sell you tokens that point at a url that you hope still has a json file that you hope still has a link to ape jpegs

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

basically until this video mainstream journalism covered crypto and NFTs with the wide-eyed wonder of the 90s internet: "whoa, I don't totally understand this but here's a guy whose title is 'crypto sensei' at a startup talking about how it's the future!" and covering the massive (fake) amount of money these things were selling for

it skated by on being new enough that scam artists and true believers could handwave any arguments about why it was obviously worthless with "you just don't understand it, old man, have fun staying poor" and journalists generally gave it the benefit of the doubt because "it sounds really stupid, but there must be something I'm not getting that makes it make sense"

that video honestly helped break down in great detail exactly what was happening and how actually no, the emperor's new clothes aren't the amazing new future, there's just a bunch of naked idiots trying to sell you tokens that point at a url that you hope still has a json file that you hope still has a link to ape jpegs

I've just never understood how "dump your money into an unregulated black hole" was ever supposed to work for the end user, both in crypto and in the NFT abstraction layer. But I also regularly overestimate humanity's ability in almost every possible realm, so this shouldn't be a surprise, ultimately.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Ohtani should have been a Cy Young finalist and it's bullshit that he's not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

I've just never understood how "dump your money into an unregulated black hole" was ever supposed to work

but enough about the angels

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

but enough about the angels

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

rickiep00h posted:

I've just never understood how "dump your money into an unregulated black hole" was ever supposed to work for the end user, both in crypto and in the NFT abstraction layer. But I also regularly overestimate humanity's ability in almost every possible realm, so this shouldn't be a surprise, ultimately.