Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is completely untrue. The decline of coal replaced with Natural Gas and Renewables along with electric vehicles is a huge big deal.

What decline of coal?

https://www.mining-technology.com/comment/global-coal-production/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It's declined as a share though, but natural gas increased even more. This is a good thing because :centrism:

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 30, 2022

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually only marketshare difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/11/07/cop27-climate-change-report-us/

"No safe drinkin' water? S'ok, I'll just drink beer and Coke."

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Don't worry there's reason to hope, it says once we reduce emissions to zero, warming won't continue to rise! (Other damage will outlast us)

Also places with the ability to do so are reacting to climate change better and better! (Ensuring we will continue to not meet our goals even as the most vulnerable starve suffer and die)

Gonna go vote for democrats after work simply to try to mitigate the scapegoating and brutality we inflict on minorities while I wait for our world to utterly collapse.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

this is pretty good
https://qchenevier.github.io/huma/airbus-and-climate-change

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i honestly have zero clue wtf that probe was for

quote:

The rightmost face expresses determination, rather than acceptance, and is named after “Like a Boss” by The Lonely Island (I.A.4). User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
this is gibberish

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I agree that it was a good article but maybe the mods deemed it too "low-effort" for this thread. I agree the reason given sucks, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

i honestly have zero clue wtf that probe was for

this is gibberish

The probation was for posting a poorly made rage comic, tautological as that is, with “this is pretty good” as the only thing you have to add to it. If the probation reason is lost on you, consider not reposting to D&D memes you’re unfamiliar with.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

dude i figured there should be more than just the link, so I took the first image from the article, like twitter or fb would. I have no idea what terminally online reddit drama you're dragging into this.

consider why your thread is a total deadzone because you're a dick. we just went through all of COP without a post in here. you've successfully crushed all debate and discussion of the topic... weird goal.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 21, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Eh, the thread is a deadzone because the bad faith copers/contrarians have been run off and the rest of us who read it are in agreement that there is no hope for most of humanity in the long run.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MightyBigMinus posted:

dude i figured there should be more than just the link, so I took the first image from the article, like twitter or fb would

consider why your thread is a total deadzone because you're a dick

I guess the real problem was that "this is good" is probably not enough context for people to decide whether it's worth clicking on a link, and the addition of a rageface comic is not really dispositive.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Slow News Day posted:

Eh, the thread is a deadzone because the bad faith copers/contrarians have been run off and the rest of us who read it are in agreement that there is no hope for most of humanity in the long run.

Strong user/post combo

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess the real problem was that "this is good" is probably not enough context for people to decide whether it's worth clicking on a link, and the addition of a rageface comic is not really dispositive.

which is completely fine! don't click the link! the fact that someone reported it and then a mod decided it was probe worthy is loving weird. like instant hair trigger rear end in a top hat mode.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah i basically come here to nod along with everyone else once some news of disasters get posted

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

which is completely fine! don't click the link! the fact that someone reported it and then a mod decided it was probe worthy is loving weird. like instant hair trigger rear end in a top hat mode.

I get it that you’re angry about this, but to avoid another probation I recommend you to take your complaints about my moderation to Koos Group via PMs. Alternatively, you may, of course, start a QCS thread.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

dude mash that probe button all you want i'm not filing reports to your manager

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

When you think about it, this thread is really a microcosm of the climate crisis, in that both it and the world are doomed from lazy posters/governments.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I get it that you’re angry about this, but to avoid another probation I recommend you to take your complaints about my moderation to Koos Group via PMs. Alternatively, you may, of course, start a QCS thread.

You good?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
If the brakes in your car are cut and you're speeding toward a brick wall, the best you can do is hit that accelerator and hope you won't feel any pain.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I propose that you absorb the criticism and think about it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Bedshaped posted:

If the brakes in your car are cut and you're speeding toward a brick wall, the best you can do is hit that accelerator and hope you won't feel any pain.

why can't you just turn the car op

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tatsuta Age posted:

why can't you just turn the car op

It's a Tesla

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Get to acceptance.

Existential threat is the norm, and necessary for the survival of a species. If life is too good, it randomly maladapts to imaginary threats and becomes overly complacent, to be destroyed by the next legit threat that does come along. Panda bears were successful at doing their one thing, then they forgot that loving was important and the bamboo disappeared. Now they're dead. There won't even be a zoo to keep us.

If a species has no existential threats, it must create them. We've been doing that, in the form of destructive intra-species conflict. But now armed conflict is too close to risking the whole world, so we've got to find something new. That something is climate change. The fortunate of this generation will get to aimlessly joywire until they expire, but the next generation will be trapped in an authentic struggle for survival.

Most people -will- die, and that's the point. Others will learn to get better, and form a more survivable human race. Maybe they'll do commercial fusion, brain uploading, true AI, sustainable interplanetary colonization, onward and upward on the way to pants god. What were we going to do? Play TES XIV with all the VR love peripherals?

This is the system working, be happy. Don't worry, we won't have to do any heavy lifting.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
I hope my descendants are the most successful scavenger cannibals, otherwise I'll be a very embarrassed ghost

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Achieve the impossible dream to eat the rich.

We doom about apocalyptic climate change being the end of days, but I believe it is actually a relatively 'safe' catastrophe from an existential standpoint.

Unlike a meteor or superbug, climate change will proceed slowly and in an extremely predictable way. Regions of the globe will be rendered uninhabitable only very gradually. The solutions to climate change are already well known, we just lack the motivation to implement them. That will change. A runaway feedback to hothouse is possible, but even that is unlikely to kill everyone, while leaving humanity's knowledge base mostly intact.

Depopulation is carbon-negative, anthropogenic climate change solves itself. The only thing we really have to worry about is someone unleashing nukes or an overly-effective bioweapon, but that is just like any other day.

So whether you seal yourself therwith into a place of learning and go forth to perfection, buy up all that prime mineshaft space and fill it with crisperd catgirls, or just lol and lmao at the fires, be certain that whatever happens it's gonna be all right climate change might have a long term positive outcome.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 22, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We don't know how it's going to proceed. So far just taking the worst model and assuming it's going to be a bit worse than that has worked but that's a coping mechanism, not something you can hang your hat on. A lot of it is only going to feel like it's a slow encroachment because things will be instantly normalized. Technology sure as poo poo isn't going to save us.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Loling at the implicit assumption that climate annihilation won't have any effect on society other than people quietly succumbing to heat death.

When several billion people in E/SE Asia find themselves in a climate incompatible with life and crop growth, that will inevitably lead to mass migration and catastrophic resource wars. What happens to all the nukes there is up to anyone's imagination.

Like, in a >2C, an insanely brutal ecofascist world is one of the better outcomes. I don't feel especially Zen about that

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

That's the thing, the same science that says that it is going to happen is the same science that is saying that we are going to be done slowly (as a global population, not for individuals or even countries), pretty much like Epic High Five spells out.

Curtis LeMay or his modern equivalent was/is astronomically more likely to bring sudden dramatic permanent change to the world's population. A personal disagreement between Xi and Modi is more likely to kill more people in the next 5 years than global warming is likely to do in the next 20. Ukraine spiraling out of control to global winter that will kill enough people to get the depopulation that some conversationalists are lusting after quicker than global warming.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That's the thing, the same science that says that it is going to happen is the same science that is saying that we are going to be done slowly (as a global population, not for individuals or even countries), pretty much like Epic High Five spells out.

Curtis LeMay or his modern equivalent was/is astronomically more likely to bring sudden dramatic permanent change to the world's population. A personal disagreement between Xi and Modi is more likely to kill more people in the next 5 years than global warming is likely to do in the next 20. Ukraine spiraling out of control to global winter that will kill enough people to get the depopulation that some conversationalists are lusting after quicker than global warming.

I think the crux here is that how do you categorize these theoretical sudden events if they're caused by climate change forcing a crisis. Did a city get vaporized because automated turrets atop a border wall was no longer sufficient to keep climate refugees out, or was it something more mundane like a territorial dispute? It's certainly going to be pitched as the latter, and often it'll be a mix of climate and opportunism, but we're going to see a whole lot of nasty stuff that never would've happened if not for our boiling of the planet, and I don't think it's unfair to cite it as a primary cause.

It's a looming issue that, alongside the belief that we're just one technological advance or reform from licking this thing, the good guys are horribly unprepared to deal with and the bad guys are salivating over.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bedshaped posted:

You forgot the "unbuckle your seat belt" step.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Preen Dog posted:

Achieve the impossible dream to eat the rich.

We doom about apocalyptic climate change being the end of days, but I believe it is actually a relatively 'safe' catastrophe from an existential standpoint.

Unlike a meteor or superbug, climate change will proceed slowly and in an extremely predictable way. Regions of the globe will be rendered uninhabitable only very gradually. The solutions to climate change are already well known, we just lack the motivation to implement them. That will change. A runaway feedback to hothouse is possible, but even that is unlikely to kill everyone, while leaving humanity's knowledge base mostly intact.

Depopulation is carbon-negative, anthropogenic climate change solves itself. The only thing we really have to worry about is someone unleashing nukes or an overly-effective bioweapon, but that is just like any other day.

So whether you seal yourself therwith into a place of learning and go forth to perfection, buy up all that prime mineshaft space and fill it with crisperd catgirls, or just lol and lmao at the fires, be certain that whatever happens it's gonna be all right climate change might have a long term positive outcome.

i sincerely hope that you find yourself forced by life circumstance to spend the next decades in between the tropic of cancer and the tropic of capricorn so you can experience all the slow adjustment yourself, up close and personal. go, become part of the positive outcome :)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

I think the crux here is that how do you categorize these theoretical sudden events if they're caused by climate change forcing a crisis. Did a city get vaporized because automated turrets atop a border wall was no longer sufficient to keep climate refugees out, or was it something more mundane like a territorial dispute? It's certainly going to be pitched as the latter, and often it'll be a mix of climate and opportunism, but we're going to see a whole lot of nasty stuff that never would've happened if not for our boiling of the planet, and I don't think it's unfair to cite it as a primary cause.

It's a looming issue that, alongside the belief that we're just one technological advance or reform from licking this thing, the good guys are horribly unprepared to deal with and the bad guys are salivating over.

Oh certainly climate change is driving conflict - I work in the Sahel and I'm a firm believer that the retreating arable zone is at least some of the cause of the ease that ISIS et al are able to source motivated fighters.

Xi and Modi gettting frisky is just as likely over water as over ego. Part of the way China is bullying Vietnam, Laos, etc is also through water.

My comment is more to highlight that people having something to dread about is not new or even unlikely. That people are going to prioritize what they are going to fear the most, it was Covid two years ago (for most, covid thread still have a few panic merchents even now). In the US, it is not running out of food for the kids due to the climate, it's their kids getting shot at school. A better economy reduces the hardship that leads to crazily destructive behaviors and while climate change is going to make things worse, a better economy now is going to prevent a lot of suffering in the short to medium term.

Sure, there might be some crazy unknown tipping point and the environment will suddenly get very much worse suddenly but that is as useful as saying that there might be some crazy unknown negative reinforcing factor not understood (CO2 absorbtion into seawater was underestimated for a long time and is now factored in and is in fact one of the risks talked about these days via acidification) in the other direction. That those people might be better off not worrying about today's real worries and panic about the unknown but I don't see the value.

I don't think it is useful to appeal to the unknown to try and motivate action in the reluctant.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Nbd the forests will grow back,

and it's called perma frost for a reason, look it up

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
Meanwhile, Republican state AGs are pursuing plans to sue banks and investment firms that dare to consider climate change:.

https://www.kentucky.gov/Pages/Activity-stream.aspx?n=AttorneyGeneral&prId=1282

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol they’re going pick fights with some big real money on that

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Probably half of my job is getting together reporting and analysis of information requested of our regional bank by regulatory agencies, so this sounds like my own personal hell. gently caress anyone doing this.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol they’re going pick fights with some big real money on that

Have they seen Russian oligarchs go for walks too close to windows and assume the same level of control can happen in the States?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It is genuinely difficult to help someone Have A Nice Day in the United States without the guy you find being a fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1600499883542302720
Turns out making our beloved giant toddler-smashers electric might not be a huge environmental win.