Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

seaborgium posted:

That conjure animals one was really good, it was a low level spell like faerie fire or something, if I remember right. It didn't even do damage, or just a tiny amount but it gave the players a decent advantage so Thiala had to make sure it didn't happen.

In the Seven season of Dimension 20 Erika Ishii did something real similar with summoning a bunch of terrifying geese, which seems ridiculous but managed to be a huge problem for the enemy.

Iirc they were casting just basic polymorph in a section that was supposed to be an aerial battle. So once the enemy ran out of legendary resistance she polymorphed the mount and dropped him out of the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Operation Slippery Puppet in the Starstruck Odyssey season of Dimension 20 was my favorite moment of Emily being sent from hell to torment dms. ”How did you know there was going to be a plinth?!”

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was looking back through the thread for something in an old post last night and was reminded of the Rotating Heroes podcast Zac Oyama started up at one point, which myself and at least one or two others in the thread had liked but wanted to let build up a head of steam before subscribing for various reasons and now seems to be on done after I forgot about it entirely. The twitter page for the show says that it's on hiatus for the Summer, but also has a pinned tweet saying there's a bittersweet announcement for the podcast with a link to a Patreon page that is no longer live. It's also not showing up as a podcast when I search in my feed. Is the podcast just dead does anyone know? Is there any way to subscribe and get the episodes, even if it is dead?

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 9, 2022

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

tsob posted:

I was looking back through the thread for something in an old post last night and was reminded of the Rotating Heroes podcast Zac Oyama started up at one point, which myself and at least one or two others in the thread had liked but wanted to let build up a head of steam before subscribing for various reasons and now seems to be on done after I forgot about it entirely. The twitter page for the show says that it's on hiatus for the Summer, but also has a pinned tweet saying there's a bittersweet announcement for the podcast with a link to a Patreon page that is no longer live. It's also not showing up as a podcast when I search in my feed. Is the podcast just dead does anyone know? Is there any way to subscribe and get the episodes, even if it is dead?

I happened to wonder that myself a little while ago, as the first free episode is still on my phone.

I guess it's down now, but there was an unlocked post by Oyama on the Patreon that said he'd gotten a really sweet gig on the writing team for a sitcom (I believe it's "Home Economics"). He couldn't realistically maintain that plus D20 plus Rotating Heroes, so the RHP is on indefinite hiatus.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Makes sense, but if the Patreon is down does that mean you can't even subscribe for one month to grab the episodes somewhere for a listen? That's kind of sad. Oh well :(

That aside, I'm listening to the Bahumia finale again just for the Boobs whomping on Thiala, and man, Moonshine's use of chill touch to stop Thiala from using any heals at all feels really broken. I don't play D'n'D at all, so I've no idea how balanced it actually is normally but it feels like it's way too broken for a cantrip to be able to stop healing entirely like that. I know part of it is Emily being more creative with her tactics than a lot of players would be, but even taking that into consideration it still seems like removing the ability to heal for the length of the caster's next turn is really broken, since cantrips can be cast endlessly with no cost. It feels like something whose effect is so obviously powerful that it should be several levels higher than "zero". Is it really something so mundane that no-one else has spotted that utility or abused that effect? Or is there an obvious downside or neutralising element in play in most instances that it's not so much an issue?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

Makes sense, but if the Patreon is down does that mean you can't even subscribe for one month to grab the episodes somewhere for a listen? That's kind of sad. Oh well :(

That aside, I'm listening to the Bahumia finale again just for the Boobs whomping on Thiala, and man, Moonshine's use of chill touch to stop Thiala from using any heals at all feels really broken. I don't play D'n'D at all, so I've no idea how balanced it actually is normally but it feels like it's way too broken for a cantrip to be able to stop healing entirely like that. I know part of it is Emily being more creative with her tactics than a lot of players would be, but even taking that into consideration it still seems like removing the ability to heal for the length of the caster's next turn is really broken, since cantrips can be cast endlessly with no cost. It feels like something whose effect is so obviously powerful that it should be several levels higher than "zero". Is it really something so mundane that no-one else has spotted that utility or abused that effect? Or is there an obvious downside or neutralising element in play in most instances that it's not so much an issue?

I have no real feeling for 5E balance (most of my direct experience is in the good ol' days of "balance? what's that?" 3.5E) but it feels like the tradeoff is that you're tying up a high-level character (in this case) with doing a negligible amount of damage and locking down one enemy's healing when you could be doing massive amounts of damage or more debilitating status effects to an entire group of enemies. Hardwon doing 200+ damage per round for the first few rounds with his reckless attack/action surge/crit on 17-20 combo was definitely the bigger factor in that fight.

I would probably not balk too hard if someone house-ruled that the no-healing effect required a save of some kind though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

docbeard posted:

I have no real feeling for 5E balance (most of my direct experience is in the good ol' days of "balance? what's that?" 3.5E) but it feels like the tradeoff is that you're tying up a high-level character (in this case) with doing a negligible amount of damage and locking down one enemy's healing when you could be doing massive amounts of damage or more debilitating status effects to an entire group of enemies. Hardwon doing 200+ damage per round for the first few rounds with his reckless attack/action surge/crit on 17-20 combo was definitely the bigger factor in that fight.

I would probably not balk too hard if someone house-ruled that the no-healing effect required a save of some kind though.

Yeah I'm no expert either, but I'm guessing this is more a case of Emily noticing and zeroing in on a fatal flaw in Murph's boss design; like discovering the exhaust port in the death star. I can't remember how much of the last fight was Murph coming up with his own thing, and how much was pulled from the monster manual as written, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just sort of overlooked something and Emily exploited an accidental weakness. And as you say, there's a tradeoff, if she spends her turn doing that, she isn't doing any of the other cool stuff you can do at high level. And I don't think anyone expected Hardwon to be able to do what he did, Jake least of all

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm no expert either, but I'm guessing this is more a case of Emily noticing and zeroing in on a fatal flaw in Murph's boss design; like discovering the exhaust port in the death star. I can't remember how much of the last fight was Murph coming up with his own thing, and how much was pulled from the monster manual as written, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just sort of overlooked something and Emily exploited an accidental weakness. And as you say, there's a tradeoff, if she spends her turn doing that, she isn't doing any of the other cool stuff you can do at high level. And I don't think anyone expected Hardwon to be able to do what he did, Jake least of all

Yeah, her doing that was a delaying tactic to get Jake and Caldwell to do some damage. Caldwell was a high level paladin, dumping some smites into Thiala without fear of her healing it back up for a few turns, Jake doing some solid damage as well, then Emily hops in to start doing spell damage would be a valid strategy. Jake and Caldwell have too much HP to be one shot, so all of a sudden two high level damage dealers dealing tons of damage Thiala couldn't heal and couldn't one shot any of them to stop the damage meant she was hosed.

And I think he said in one of the short rests Thiala wasn't anything super crazy, she was either from the Monster Manual with some tweaks for her healing or a character built with some extra stuff. She wasn't a complete homebrew, Emily just saw a weakness any boss would have and exploited it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, Murph's sheer disbelief at Hardwon doing 285 damage on his second round is pretty hilarious. I love that when Jake announces how much damage he did, Caldwell just bursts out laughing. Not even a practiced laugh, but a real guffaw that almost sounds like a "BWAHAHAHA!"

quote:

Jake: "That is 285 damage"
Caldwell: *Laughs in disbelief*...what?"
Murph: "WHAT!"
Emily & Caldwell: *Continuing to laugh in the background*
Murph: "Is that correct?"
Emily: "I mean, if you attack 8 times and crit 3, what are you doing, you're doing..."
Jake: "And I'm adding an extra 10 each time because I'm minusing 5 "
Murph: "Thiala looks hurt. The actual God looks hurt. She's upset. I'm upset".

I think I might restart campaign one at some point, or at least re-listen to the first episode. Jake's "I drink in the fiddle", "watch this", the dragon pussy chat, the Bullywugs, Denny being such a snivelling poo poo and Hardwon's sheer disdain for him etc. Fun stuff, and the show hit a tone right out the gate.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, her doing that was a delaying tactic to get Jake and Caldwell to do some damage. Caldwell was a high level paladin, dumping some smites into Thiala without fear of her healing it back up for a few turns, Jake doing some solid damage as well, then Emily hops in to start doing spell damage would be a valid strategy. Jake and Caldwell have too much HP to be one shot, so all of a sudden two high level damage dealers dealing tons of damage Thiala couldn't heal and couldn't one shot any of them to stop the damage meant she was hosed.

And I think he said in one of the short rests Thiala wasn't anything super crazy, she was either from the Monster Manual with some tweaks for her healing or a character built with some extra stuff. She wasn't a complete homebrew, Emily just saw a weakness any boss would have and exploited it.

ah right then. It does seem like D&D has so many spells and conditions that there would have to be unintended vulnerabilities like that I suppose, yeah; it's just super noticeable here because she found one in a monster that Murph was trying to use for the BBEG

e: Jake honestly sounded guilty that he was doing so much damage, like he felt genuinely bad about it and wished he could stop. I guess fighters have to get something

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

I think I might restart campaign one at some point, or at least re-listen to the first episode. Jake's "I drink in the fiddle", "watch this", the dragon pussy chat, the Bullywugs, Denny being such a snivelling poo poo and Hardwon's sheer disdain for him etc. Fun stuff, and the show hit a tone right out the gate.

I just relistened through campaign 1 and am in the middle of campaign 2 and it all really holds up. A lot of the stuff is there from the get-go as you identify (the Bullywug Mating Call incident still flattens me with laughter every time) but listening to the rest develop over time is such a treat. Currently listening to the 2-shot they did with Jasper William Cartwright DMing again and that's also a lot of fun. (Also worth checking out some of the Three Black Halflings mini-campaigns, the one about a year ago that Emily guested in helped keep me sane during a long unpleasant hospital stay.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just noticed, someone put the "...chicken" bit up on YouTube about a fortnight ago. Including all the build up, and the cast razzing Murph afterwards. I don't know if it was someone from this thread since we just talked about it, or if the timing is purely coincidental, but either way: thanks and/or good timing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tragic that no one has come by to comment on the new coolest duo in town on this week's main ep or the absolutely insane energy on the short rest

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

tragic that no one has come by to comment on the new coolest duo in town on this week's main ep or the absolutely insane energy on the short rest

I'm still making my way through the short rest but I assume it continues to be 10% episode talk and 90% unhinged ranting about pasta?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

docbeard posted:

I'm still making my way through the short rest but I assume it continues to be 10% episode talk and 90% unhinged ranting?

I mean, you could just leave it off there and describe a good few of the Short Rests. Also, I listened to a YouTube video off the various Eldermourne intro riffs earlier today and man, I forgot how stupid they got. The cast going to go off-message in the intro with increasingly honk based things, before Jake starts throwing curve balls every week with new intro riffs both Emily and Caldwell feel they have to ape was great, and Lou being left completely stumped by what was happening when he replaced Caldwell for the mini-campaign was just :kiss:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

I mean, you could just leave it off there and describe a good few of the Short Rests. Also, I listened to a YouTube video off the various Eldermourne intro riffs earlier today and man, I forgot how stupid they got. The cast going to go off-message in the intro with increasingly honk based things, before Jake starts throwing curve balls every week with new intro riffs both Emily and Caldwell feel they have to ape was great, and Lou being left completely stumped by what was happening when he replaced Caldwell for the mini-campaign was just :kiss:

Oh god, the week Jake showed up with a theme song for Corbeau was amazing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The honk stuff was always right on the verge of going on too long, but never quite went fully over that edge for me, i was a fan

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

The honk stuff was always right on the verge of going on too long, but never quite went fully over that edge for me, i was a fan

It was also clear Murph really wanted to curb it, which of course makes it funnier and gives it even longer legs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know, I got the impression his annoyance with the honk stuff was mostly theatrical exaggeration rather than anything he actually disliked. He's not exactly quiet when he's frustrated with something during the Short Rests and Mixed Bags. His screaming during the energy drink tasting as everyone goes off on their own tangent about how they're rating things is a lot more evident of actual displeasure than anything in the intros, for instance. He seemed to be barely holding it together while begging Jake and Caldwell to behave because he'd basically given up on Emily straight away.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s also an edited recording, so i assume that anything that makes the final cut is either just Murph hamming it up for laughs, or brief genuine distress that becomes funny after the fact. They seem like a tight group, I imagine they do checkins to make sure nobody’s actually seething about anything

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s also an edited recording, so i assume that anything that makes the final cut is either just Murph hamming it up for laughs, or brief genuine distress that becomes funny after the fact. They seem like a tight group, I imagine they do checkins to make sure nobody’s actually seething about anything

The only genuine thing I can recall making it through was a point when Murph got (apparently) genuinely mad at Jake for pushing back too hard at a ruling Caldwell had made during Trinyvale. And it certainly didn't seem like they declared a blood feud against each other about it or anything so I suspect they let it through because it was still pretty funny.

e. If I'm remembering the situation correctly, it was during the motorcycle chase scene and Jake was insisting he should be allowed to use athletics rather than acrobatics for something, the punchline being that Nyaack's acrobatics and athletics scores were identical and Jake had briefly forgotten he wasn't playing Hardwon.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 21, 2022

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I know his anger is performative and not genuine, that would be awkward and weird. I guess I should have clarified that. He plays the straight man during those bits and I greatly appreciate his contributions in that regard

E: Although as I remember back on it, there was definitely at least a slight genuine concern he expressed, which was that if they kept doing that bit, people would actually fail to learn the character’s names, which is a fair point and also funny in its own right

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SWAG & DAG

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

One moment where there seemed like some genuine frustration to me was when Jake was paying too much attention to his microphone stickers. Still funny though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And of course there's Caldwell's unforgettable DVD-flipping game

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"Glenn was basically me making a character Emily couldn't kill straight away" - Murph.

"I wanted him to be in the episode somehow, but I knew if I had him interact normally, Em would figure out some poo poo and kill him immediately; she'd announce she had some spell stocked she hadn't told me about or something, so I just had him shoot an arrow from 600ft away with a note attached instead." - Also Murph

"Him shooting an arrow from so far away with a note attached was kind of hot though" - Emily

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

"Glenn was basically me making a character Emily couldn't kill straight away" - Murph.

"I wanted him to be in the episode somehow, but I knew if I had him interact normally, Em would figure out some poo poo and kill him immediately; she'd announce she had some spell stocked she hadn't told me about or something, so I just had him shoot an arrow from 600ft away with a note attached instead." - Also Murph

"Him shooting an arrow from so far away with a note attached was kind of hot though" - Emily

Murph did such a good job with Glenn. It takes actual charisma to play someone that charismatic, there’s just no other way around it. I was really glad Murph didn’t make him a wiener like Galad or Pebblepot or the Chosen or so many of the antagonists from this show. Don’t get me wrong, they’re funny, but it feels super cool to have a guy who’s just out of reach and feels like he’s 2 steps ahead of the PCs, even when he’s in a prison cell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I suspect this may be a symptom of me listening to the latest episodes while playing Rogue Legacy 2, but can someone explain to me why Glen's motive/plan is supposed to be sympathetic because I've "listened" to both the main episode and the Short Rest and all I got was that he wanted to start a war that destroyed all the Elven factions and pulled the Crick Elves out of hiding; which doesn't really seem sympathetic. I'm presuming I just missed whatever nuance it was supposed to have because I was particularly engaged with clearing a room at the time it was being explained in one or both, but either way it's escaping me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

I suspect this may be a symptom of me listening to the latest episodes while playing Rogue Legacy 2, but can someone explain to me why Glen's motive/plan is supposed to be sympathetic because I've "listened" to both the main episode and the Short Rest and all I got was that he wanted to start a war that destroyed all the Elven factions and pulled the Crick Elves out of hiding; which doesn't really seem sympathetic. I'm presuming I just missed whatever nuance it was supposed to have because I was particularly engaged with clearing a room at the time it was being explained in one or both, but either way it's escaping me.

My understanding is that he was born & raised at The Crick post-Thieala by Cooter, who endured the horrors of war and wanted to do everything he could to shield his son (and The Crick) from anything like that ever again. So they hid The Crick away, and Cooter tried to teach Glen to avoid conflict. Glen, like so many people, wants to rebel against his parents, and being a rambunctious young elf, wants to be tough and stand up to challenges. He sees The Crick’s hiding as a weakness and wants to challenge that by bringing conflict to their doorstep.

I don’t think he’s meant to be fully sympathetic, per se (he is currently [one of] the campaign’s primary antagonists after all), but I do find it to be a very believable motivation

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
his people also have let themselves get bullied out of their ancestral home turf by foes he believes they could easily defeat if they just stood up for themselves. in lieu of them deciding to do that though he is going to force them to

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Farg posted:

his people also have let themselves get bullied out of their ancestral home turf by foes he believes they could easily defeat if they just stood up for themselves. in lieu of them deciding to do that though he is going to force them to

Yeah, that's his thing. From Glen's point of view he thinks that the Crick elves welcomed everybody into their home and then were conspired against and chased into a demiplane by the people they welcomed in, and he thinks they should assert themselves as the strongest faction so that they're not bothered at all, rather than hiding in a demiplane. It's not UNsympathetic but it's also a dick move.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I also feel like he's completely wrong? It doesn't seem like there are a lot of crick elves.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah but there are some nasty fuckin druids

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't listened to the most recent episode yet, but the impression I got from what he's said previously is that he doesn't just want the Crick to rise again (so to speak), but he wants to be the person in charge when they do, either as their savior or as their conqueror.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I'm finally catching up on the patreon bonus episodes and the April 1 2022 episode of D&D Court, holy poo poo. "How many rats would it take to ruin an orgy?"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Amidiri posted:

Yeah, that's his thing. From Glen's point of view he thinks that the Crick elves welcomed everybody into their home and then were conspired against and chased into a demiplane by the people they welcomed in, and he thinks they should assert themselves as the strongest faction so that they're not bothered at all, rather than hiding in a demiplane. It's not UNsympathetic but it's also a dick move.

I should have clarified that by "latest" episode I actually just meant the latest episodes I've listend to, which up to that point was episode 21 where the trio fight in the colosseum to free Umberspore and the serpent. The next episode pretty explicitly stated everything that you just said now that I've listend to it, so I suspect I didn't actually miss much from episode 21 and that Murph and Emily just assumed a bit more knowledge on the part of the audience than the episode revealed because they tend to record several episodes at once if I recall, so when Murph said that Glen's motive was sympathetic I think he was just got confused on exactly how much had been revealed in the episode. Thank you for the clarification though regardless.

One thing I did love in episode 22 now that I've listened to it though is how after the first usage of the helm Calder and the gang were pretty blase in a "ah, this is no problem" way about the charges, and then Calder uses like 10 charges at once in the fight that episode and almost pisses himself when facing Ultris in his dreams that night. It created a really fun contrast to almost immediately go from "this is nothing" to "gently caress, gently caress, we gotta sort this poo poo out immediately".

Edit: Added spoiler bars since Rip_Van_Winkle is going through back episodes and may not wish to be spoiled.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 9, 2022

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Glen is also sympathetic because he's super loving hot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

if the crux of this is murph calling glen sympathetic is think the main thing is he probably meant more that glen's motivations are understandable, rather than him being a tragic character or something

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finally caught up to this podcast, and it’s the version of TAZ I always wanted it to be and kinda only was during the balance arc.

That being said I really didn’t much enjoy Eldermourne, it felt like a complicated mess of like fifteen different plots happening simultaneously and I couldn’t really find any purchase during it because it was so plot focused. It also didn’t help that I didn’t really like any of the characters besides Hank; Caldwell is best when he’s playing a weird little guy and Zirk was just kind of bland, Fia was a surprisingly subdued and kind of boring character for Emily to play which is…insane to think about considering how consistently incredible she is in this/D20 but here we are. Eldermourne didn’t suck per se and like this vest goof is an all-timer but it felt like it burned through a lot of its potential by getting caught in the slog of its narrative.

Campaign 3 is fuckin incredible though, such a strong return to form for everyone. Such incredible role playing and has that original magic of great comedy while being a genuinely enthralling world.

Also maybe this is bizarre of me to think but I might actually think Trinyvale/Hot Boy Summer(s) might be the best campaigns of NADDPOD, mostly because everyone is really good at playing completely irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Also I think Caldwell could say literally anything as Keychain and make me crack up.

I’d really like to see the whole gang on a season of D20, mostly to see how Jake and Caldwell do with Brennan as a DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

caldwell's robot voice is beyond uncanny