Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Crowetron posted:

I always feel like I'm crazy when people start praising Alien: Isolation. I like pursuer enemies like Mr. X and Nemesis, I like chase sequences, but when they're instant kill the whole illusion just falls apart for me. It no longer matters how much work they put into the animations or sound design or pathing, as soon as it gets me once I don't see any of that any more. I just see a big Load Game screen following me around as I retread the same poo poo I just did. It's not scary or tense or challenging anymore, it's annoying.

Mr. X works for me because it keeps the tension going much better. Because even if I gently caress up or get sloppy, the game still expects me to react and try to save myself. If Mr. X punches me in the head, I get a little charge of panic as I now have to figure out what to do out of my rapidly decreasing list of options as quickly as I can. The Alien grabs me and, whatever just reload. It's kind of like stealth sections: getting caught and trying to recover is most of the fun for me.

Maybe I just like the scramble.

:same: :same: :same:

I frankly just wanted an Alien walking sim. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Alien is often considered better because it's smart. It continually hunts you, it lays traps and ambushes you through the ceiling, and it's something that you have to really skitter around unless you exploit its incredible weakness to noisemakers.

Imo the issue with Mr. X is that he's the opposite, he's dumb as bricks. Yeah sometimes he gets lucky and stomps around a corner to punch you in the face, but I spent a lot of time in the RE2 remake just leading him around in lazy circles to gain some distance before running off. After he falls for the "oh poo poo he's on the other side of this desk, what am I going to do" act a few times he gets to be less intimidating and more annoying.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe I just think the smarter enemies are scarier...I'm a wuss and prefer the dumber ones. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
X is just there to provide some extra pressure at the end of Act 1, the alien’s a full-game threat with the sophistication to match

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Again, the ai doesn't mean anything to me because I can't see it as anything other than a group of MegaMan spikes than can walk around. The tension is permanently shattered for me after the first instant kill and it becomes a tedious irritation at best.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The best part of A:I is the rare moments you get to weaponize the Xenomorph against other humans.

Throw a flashbang at their feet, hide, and wait until the screaming stops.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Crowetron posted:

Again, the ai doesn't mean anything to me because I can't see it as anything other than a group of MegaMan spikes than can walk around. The tension is permanently shattered for me after the first instant kill and it becomes a tedious irritation at best.

This is the big issue with the game.

When F.E.A.R. came out, the developers wanted people to know about this sophisticated AI system they had in place, so they had the soldiers constantly call out what they were doing. This gave the image of an AI system that was constantly working against the player in complex ways. A:I doesn't have that, so it may be doing incredibly complex calculations about searching for the player, closing in, crossing out locations where the player isn't, when it feels like it should leave, but all I experienced was a thing that sorta wandered around before exiting the scene and arbitrarily appearing once I had walked ten feet away from my hiding location, forcing me to hide yet again, maybe randomly finding me if I got unlucky.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Cultic is a good horror game but it always feels weird recommending one with good gameplay.

Feels like an alternative universe version of Blood.

It's amazingly fun. Running around at insane speeds sliding around and throwing dynamite at dudes in robes has never been so smooth.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I finished Cultic the other night and really enjoyed it. Very much felt like I got my moneys worth, it felt like a full game as it was but apparently the dev is going to add another chunk of levels of comparable size.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

When F.E.A.R. came out, the developers wanted people to know about this sophisticated AI system they had in place, so they had the soldiers constantly call out what they were doing. This gave the image of an AI system that was constantly working against the player in complex ways. A:I doesn't have that, so it may be doing incredibly complex calculations about searching for the player, closing in, crossing out locations where the player isn't, when it feels like it should leave, but all I experienced was a thing that sorta wandered around before exiting the scene and arbitrarily appearing once I had walked ten feet away from my hiding location, forcing me to hide yet again, maybe randomly finding me if I got unlucky.

The Alien should've had a Michigan J. Frog voice and constantly barked out loud.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Good points on comparison to FEAR.

I do also think that the leashing mechanic was a bit too much, and yet necessary to keep the game moving along. When people learned about that it went from evading an intelligent, systematic beast to riding the magical line between too slow and too fast. If you do a little scoot to where the Alien just searched then it should largely just wander off to look elsewhere. It's also weird that there's still a lot of people on the station but the alien is obsessed with just finding you and will peek under every door and desk to find this one random human.

If they made a sequel they should probably lean into the risk/reward system of doing actual loud things. Not "walk instead of crouch so it doesn't tether closer", things like manipulating your environment with obviously attention seeking things and risk attracting the xenomorph, but also allowing you to fight back. Basically set traps or distract rather than just hiding.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I never got the reverence for the A:I xenomorph AI. It's very very obvious it is an omniscient player-centered algorithm - the monster goes through the motions of hunting in a defined area (again, zeroed directly on the player) while coincidentally making a beeline to exactly where you are, no matter what

I noticed it the first time I played and then that explainer video came out and confirmed that it is in fact exactly how it works

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Willing suspension of disbelief, mostly

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It's just a bunch of ones and zeroes.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The Allen is well animated so I think it's cool

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Kinda my personal dream horror game is one where the big monster or whatever is always out hunting but theres no leashing or inherent awareness of the players location so you could potentially never run into it

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well, just like most sophisticated AI in games it's not that there's actually a really complex thought process going on, just the convincing illusion that there is one. People talk about the AI in FEAR a lot and that game has a much simpler system going on than it presents itself as, but it's still really good enemy design because the enemies do have interesting behaviors and chatter at each other to give this convincing idea of these squads of bad guys teaming up to flank and attack you. The xenomorph is kind of the same way. Sure it's always just kind of hovering around you to present itself as a constant obstacle and it starts checking your hiding spots if you don't move, but the interesting details are in the way it patrols and reacts to your sounds and moves. The way it reacts to the flamethrower is nuanced and really cool. The fact it builds up a tolerance to getting burned and can hit you through it, and the way it hesitates and can end up in a standoff if you point the flamethrower at it is genuinely a cool way for it to behave. The fact is that players don't really want a super complex and intelligent AI in a video game because that kind of thing is probably going to go entirely unnoticed, or it'll make the AI inscrutable and unpredictable and actually just frustrate players. It's the reason why in stealth games every enemy typically has a "What was that noise?!" reaction, like the alien hissing at you, or just enemies talking out loud in general. The game designers want you to know if you've triggered some kind of reaction so that you know what the enemy is thinking so you can play accordingly. It's a well designed monster it's just people tend to lack the language to accurately convey what they like about it.

TL;DR yeah the xenomorph isn't an incredibly sophisticated AI system. When people talk about how smart it is they're really just trying to find a way to say "this monster is cool and the way it acts is fun in this game"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh wow, I was looking it up on steam and that game is from 2014, I figured it was around half that old. Maybe that was when I gave it a try, it's been a while. I think it'll be up next on my list though, we'll see if it sticks this time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Someone should do an open world It Follows-esque game where you're constantly being chased by a monster that can look like any NPC in the game and it's always (very slowly) making a beeline for you?

To keep players from turtling in some hard to reach place maybe they'd need to do some tasks around the map and/or keep the player character fed and watered and sleep occasionally. The monster would need to be nearly unkillable unless you found it's weakness and/or performed some convoluted occult ritual that you'd need to research and gather ingredients for both of which could be randomized each playthrough.

alternatively you could use the same premise except it's a hentai dating sim and you need to gently caress someone to pass on the curse but can you risk falling in love with them before you do so?!?!?!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Someone should do an open world It Follows-esque game where you're constantly being chased by a monster that can look like any NPC in the game and it's always (very slowly) making a beeline for you?

The Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer was kinda the beginnings of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr X annoys me because he halts progress. The alien in A:AI never does that.

Mr X is way less bad on the first run but in the b scenarios where he shows up 10 minutes into the game are annoying.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If there was a secondary weapon that could temporarily suppress X and force him to leave the room while you solve the puzzle, that'd be nice. As is, there's just no point to even fighting the guy. Like the survival knife and stun gun in REmake. He definitely adds to the tension but when you're trying to drag around the library bookshelves, it's less tense than it is frustrating.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 7, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The xenomorph does at least have the decency in the couple of parts of the game where you have to like, flip a bunch of switches and turn puzzle solving knobs to just gently caress off for a while unless you're being a loud dipshit.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

veni veni veni posted:

Mr X annoys me because he halts progress. The alien in A:AI never does that.

Mr X is way less bad on the first run but in the b scenarios where he shows up 10 minutes into the game are annoying.

Wow you must have played a very different Alien Isolation than I did, because the alien kept camping the exits , halting my progress.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hel posted:

Wow you must have played a very different Alien Isolation than I did, because the alien kept camping the exits , halting my progress.

I was thinking the same thing. The shelves in the library in RE2 are the only puzzle room X can enter and yeah, he can be annoying there, but everywhere else running around and trying to avoid the distant stomping noise was a lot more fun for me than anything in Alien: Isolation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Bogart posted:

If there was a secondary weapon that could temporarily suppress X and force him to leave the room while you solve the puzzle, that'd be nice. As is, there's just no point to even fighting the guy. Like the survival knife and stun gun in REmake. He definitely adds to the tension but when you're trying to drag around the library bookshelves, it's less tense than it is frustrating.

???

Flash bang him or shoot him enough that he takes a knee. He won't leave the room but it gives you enough time to push the shelves. Once I was going for those S Ranks the only X encounter that mattered was pushing the shelf so I'll always remember his trompin' rear end deciding to be there half the time.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I really liked both Alien Isolation and REmake2, though I just looked at my achievements for AI and it says something I think that I started playing the game in 2015 and was too freaked out to finish it until 2018.

RE2 I never even died to Mr. X

Both great games though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

funnily enough, what turned me off of RE2R moreso than mr. x was the dynamic difficulty scaling

i dunno if it was in the original, but lickers randomly needing an extra flame round to kill for my crime of efficiently using my resources and aiming well irked me to no end. dynamically spawning in additional enemies or not spawning specific resources is one thing, but throwing off my calculations so dramatically robs a lot of what i otherwise like about survival horror's strategic side

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished The Chant, it was fun enough but also kind of nothing? All the weapons being new age crystals and essential oils was pretty lol and I liked the weird planty-ness of the enemies but there wasn't really much to it.

Tying the ending to your highest stat when you can't see what your stats are once you've unlocked everything on the skill tree seems like a bad idea too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Vermain posted:

funnily enough, what turned me off of RE2R moreso than mr. x was the dynamic difficulty scaling

i dunno if it was in the original, but lickers randomly needing an extra flame round to kill for my crime of efficiently using my resources and aiming well irked me to no end. dynamically spawning in additional enemies or not spawning specific resources is one thing, but throwing off my calculations so dramatically robs a lot of what i otherwise like about survival horror's strategic side

Yeah, games should only ever get easier if you're having trouble with them, never harder. That's just a punishment.

House of the Dead was lovely for this - your difficulty would raise every few minutes, so even if you started the game on the easiest setting, if you play well, then after a level or two you're basically at the hardest difficulty.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I still dunno if I actually liked RE2R. My favorite parts where when I got to just run around and shoot zombies, I hated anything that hampered that (lickers, Mr x) probably explains why I'm having a lot of fun with RE3 so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, games should only ever get easier if you're having trouble with them, never harder. That's just a punishment.

House of the Dead was lovely for this - your difficulty would raise every few minutes, so even if you started the game on the easiest setting, if you play well, then after a level or two you're basically at the hardest difficulty.

That's the game getting harder if you're good at it though.

'Rank' increasing as you play without dying is common in lots of arcade games since their primary function is relieve people of their money.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

i actually don't mind the game finding ways to make things tougher if i'm doing well to try and maintain the tension, but "enemies invisibly take 20% more damage to kill" ain't it, especially in a genre where the fun part for me is figuring out how to squeeze the maximum value out of every bullet and grenade in my inventory

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

i actually don't mind the game finding ways to make things tougher if i'm doing well to try and maintain the tension, but "enemies invisibly take 20% more damage to kill" ain't it, especially in a genre where the fun part for me is figuring out how to squeeze the maximum value out of every bullet and grenade in my inventory

There does always seem to be one jerk zombie that just randomly soaks up four or five times as many shots to the dome as everyone else.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Crowetron posted:

There does always seem to be one jerk zombie that just randomly soaks up four or five times as many shots to the dome as everyone else.

Funnily, damage done by headshots never changes due to difficulty in House of the Dead.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Funnily, damage done by headshots never changes due to difficulty in House of the Dead.

I was still talking about RE2 Remake. I sadly haven't played any House of the Deads since the local arcades dried up like twenty years ago.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

headshot damage in RE2R is a doubly weird case: normal headshot damage is obviously altered by the invisible difficulty modifier, but there's also a secondary "critical hit" modifier where sometimes your headshots will instantly gib a zombie and prevent them from reviving. it's extremely likely to happen if your modifier is low and almost never happens if it's maxed, although there's apparently like a 2-3 frame window when the crosshair finishes narrowing on the pistol where it drastically increases the chance of a crit regardless of the modifier

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/CallistoGameJP/status/1585390850711904257

apparently callisto protocol's so violent that CERO refused to certify it without major changes and the devs refused, so you'll have to pirate it if you're playing from japan

i've been feeling some fatigue with space sci fi featuring melty monster men, but i'm willing to give callisto the benefit of the doubt if they're this willing to stick to their guns

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Vermain posted:

https://twitter.com/CallistoGameJP/status/1585390850711904257

apparently callisto protocol's so violent that CERO refused to certify it without major changes and the devs refused, so you'll have to pirate it if you're playing from japan

i've been feeling some fatigue with space sci fi featuring melty monster men, but i'm willing to give callisto the benefit of the doubt if they're this willing to stick to their guns

to be specific as well they're making sure that JP subs will be available in other regions so people in Japan can import the game and still get to play it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay I like Signalis and I'm not the kind of person who like, throws a baby rage fit every time a game has any sort of inventory management but drat I wish I had like... 8 slots instead of 6 this is fuckin absurd.