Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall

mutantIke posted:

I already have MakeMKV but only rip DVDs, my hard drive would buckle under the weight of all those uncompressed blu-rays. I use my laptop as a blu-ray player because I'm a college student who doesn't own a TV but does own a projector.

MakeMKV has an option where it can hook itself into VLC to let you play blu-rays, so you don't necessarily need to rip them to play them. It's in the "Integration" tab in Preferences. To be fair, VLC's blu-ray support is a bit janky (and some discs need you to install Java to get menus to work) but it does the job in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

micpp posted:

MakeMKV has an option where it can hook itself into VLC to let you play blu-rays, so you don't necessarily need to rip them to play them. It's in the "Integration" tab in Preferences. To be fair, VLC's blu-ray support is a bit janky (and some discs need you to install Java to get menus to work) but it does the job in most cases.

kodi can handle discs with menu support as well, haven't had any playback issues

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Led Zeppelin being pissy about people using their music is pretty hilarious.
Especially since Stairway is a total ripoff to begin with.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Especially since Stairway is a total ripoff to begin with.

That's one of many. On early pressings of their first album they straight up credited other people's songs to themselves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is Collateral supposed to have an insane amount of grain, or is the Blu-ray hosed up?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gripweed posted:

Is Collateral supposed to have an insane amount of grain, or is the Blu-ray hosed up?

Mann was basically the main dude messing around with digital cameras at that moment and in some ways the tech wasn't ready yet, but it does give it a real distinct flavor. Haven't seen the disc but I'm guessing that's just the result of his shooting process

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why can't we have a Surviving the Game blu-ray?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Sales are starting. Looks like a bunch of Warner Bros. on Amazon. Just got the Raimi Spiderman Trilogy UHD set for $24.99 via Best Buy.

Also, saw this on my feed and figured some of you may be bummed to hear this news:
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1589476078187606016?s=20&t=pwPBhVEW6gk12O-BThrWgg

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

That's one of many. On early pressings of their first album they straight up credited other people's songs to themselves.

My friend asked me thoughts on Greta Van Fleet.

I said "if I want to listen to a lovely Led Zeppelin, I'll just listen to Led Zeppelin."

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sales are starting. Looks like a bunch of Warner Bros. on Amazon. Just got the Raimi Spiderman Trilogy UHD set for $24.99 via Best Buy.

Also, saw this on my feed and figured some of you may be bummed to hear this news:
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1589476078187606016?s=20&t=pwPBhVEW6gk12O-BThrWgg
This trilogy is currently 15 on Amazon

To be fair a lot of these are either just crap movies, or versions that will most likely get double dips later.

I almost bit on terminator 2 for 8, but then remembered it's a really poo poo transfer with heavy dnr

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 7, 2022

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gripweed posted:

Mann shot at night with digital cameras from 2005. I love Collateral but a demo reel it is not.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a link to the 4k deals on Amazon? It's painfully difficult to try and find any list and I'm having better luck looking at the top bar of blu-ray.com for deals.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a link to the 4k deals on Amazon? It's painfully difficult to try and find any list and I'm having better luck looking at the top bar of blu-ray.com for deals.

4k Deals Page

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
At this point I just wait for sales if it's a catalog release, and if it's not I wait for the boutiques own sale like criterions, or KLs

It's rare I pre order anymore, but I also avoid collector editions.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pretty good Amazon 4K sale. Grabbed Godfather Part 1 & 2 Steelbooks, Heavy Metal, Patriot Games and First Blood for $50.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

Pretty good Amazon 4K sale. Grabbed Godfather Part 1 & 2 Steelbooks, Heavy Metal, Patriot Games and First Blood for $50.
I grabbed Ghost in the Shell and Interstellar for $8/each.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That Ghost in the Shell transfer is insanely well done. I'll just toss it on in the background for the image as I put music on the soundbar and just do chores to it. Super well done.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Picked up lost boys for ten bucks. I'll go back later to do a thorough check but I didn't see a whole lot else I needed. The planet earth/blue earth set looks nice but camel says it's gone down to 25ish bucks recently so I'll wait and see.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Also went for ghost in the shell and Ghostbusters for ten

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I also grabbed AmbuLAnce cause I heard it's Bruckheimer at peak Bruckheimer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

I also grabbed AmbuLAnce cause I heard it's Bruckheimer at peak Bruckheimer.
It loving rules and is one of my favorite movies of the year

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Detested nearly every moment of Ambulance. Hated all the drone camera work (just poorly done, not even that its drone footage) and everyone but Gylenhall felt like they were a million miles away.

So yeah, its definitely Bay's best movie in years. It's at least not as bad as 6 Underground which was pure dog poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I thought it was OK! Jake is fun and the man knows how to blow up a car but it doesn’t have much drive and it’s not stupid or self-serious enough to really be that fun

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the drone shots

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

haha, oops. I meant peak Bay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

haha, oops. I meant peak Bay.

Pretty much the same thing, we knew what you meant.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh no you don't, goons. You aren't getting me to watch ambulance.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Ambulance? There's no movie called Ambulance. You must be referring to Michael Bay's hit film AmbuLAnce

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AmuLAnce is pretty good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

My friend asked me thoughts on Greta Van Fleet.

I said "if I want to listen to a lovely Led Zeppelin, I'll just listen to Led Zeppelin."

"Hey remember Wolfmother? Yeah well someone else decided to do that.".

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Boywhiz88 posted:

He was such a great crank, I mean that sincerely. Always blowing up on FB at pirates or ungrateful customers, always talking like he was on the razor's edge of the abyss. Code Red has been the unsung workhorse of the cult film scene for like 20 years now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The only thing I ever heard about the Code Red guy is that he was kind of a dick but I always heard this from circles that are terminally online so most likely he was just justifiably angry at the people you have to deal with when you sell anything that involves an insular community of nerds. So is Code Red over now or will someone else be running it?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is Everything Everywhere All at Once worth a blind buy at $18?
Or do you guys think the price might come down even lower and I should wait?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Xenomrph posted:

its fun as hell, one of the best things i saw last year...i never buy newer movies but i grabbed the uhd of this one

e: i guess this year? for some reason thought this was out in dec, oops

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

it was alright, i'd wait because it was such a big indie hit I could see it falling further as we get into the month especially on BF.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've got a line on a used Ingmar Bergman Criterion Collection box set which includes everything, I think, for a good price. Thing is, I've never seen any of his work. Should I bite?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What does a catalogie release mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy Hippo posted:

I've got a line on a used Ingmar Bergman Criterion Collection box set which includes everything, I think, for a good price. Thing is, I've never seen any of his work. Should I bite?

Absolutely