Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm looking for action / adventure type of games where you can get money to buy items and upgrade your dude and the game also rewards you for playing well (items or money)

For example:
Ninja Gaiden 1 (You purchase items and upgrades and you get more money if you play well)
Resident Evil 4, 5 and 8 (You can purchase upgrades and exploring and killing dudes gets you more money)

Soulslikes are good but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I have Switch and PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you haven't already played them, Bayonetta 1-3 and Wonderful 101 are on switch and all basically work that way - long combos and good ratings (playing quickly without getting hit) get you more currency to buy upgrades and new moves. If you're willing to go back to PS2 somehow, God Hand has a very similar system to RE4's but a bit more transparent - as you play well and don't get hit, a meter fills that turns more of your drops into money instead of healing (and also makes enemies hit harder/faster).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In a different direction, you might check out Cryptark, which is a roguelike game about breaking into ancient derelict alien ships and disabling their defense systems. Your score is represented by how much money you have, and each time you go into a mission, first you have to pay for your gear. The better you play, the bigger the bonus you get at the end.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm looking for action / adventure type of games where you can get money to buy items and upgrade your dude and the game also rewards you for playing well (items or money)

For example:
Ninja Gaiden 1 (You purchase items and upgrades and you get more money if you play well)
Resident Evil 4, 5 and 8 (You can purchase upgrades and exploring and killing dudes gets you more money)

I have Switch and PS5.

Steamworld Dig 2? It’s not like the two examples but fits the criteria otherwise more or less

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Rollerdrome may meet your requirements... It's on my list, at least.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like city builder games but I'm in the market for a new one.

Preferrably something either fantasy (Preferrably with like, magic and poo poo) or sci-fi. Non-human residents is a huge plus. Having a player-controlled character would own if there is such a beast out there.

My current favorite is Surviving the Aftermath as rebuilding post-apocalypse is fun.
I also love the poo poo out of Timberborn.

Tried Against the Storm, it didn't click well with me

Other ones I loved :
Aven Colony
Settlers 2 & 4
Endzone
Banished
Dungeon Keeper/War for the Overworld sort of fits.
Frostpunk
Anno 1800, 2070, and Anno 2205 (I admit I loved 2070 most tho)
Dwarf Fortress
Riftbreaker (Sort of City-builder-adjacent because you build a base but there's no people to appease)

khy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 8, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No player character but have you tried Songs of Syx? It's a bog standard no-magic fantasy setting but it's a pretty sweet city/empire builder with different races.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The city-builders I know of that have player-controlled characters to take around are Tropico and Black and White 2, and I'd only actually recommend Tropico, but it's not fantasy and I would assume you've already given it a look. Maybe Evil Genius 2 has something? I haven't played it, but it's sort of like Dungeon Keeper, and the James Bond pastiche might be fantastical enough for you.

Maybe you'd like giving the original Startopia a go. I've heard the modern remake isn't very good though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The city-builders I know of that have player-controlled characters to take around are Tropico and Black and White 2, and I'd only actually recommend Tropico, but it's not fantasy and I would assume you've already given it a look. Maybe Evil Genius 2 has something? I haven't played it, but it's sort of like Dungeon Keeper, and the James Bond pastiche might be fantastical enough for you.

Maybe you'd like giving the original Startopia a go. I've heard the modern remake isn't very good though.

Oh yeah, I should add EG1 and 2 to the list. But they're not really "City" builders but adjacent and yeah, loved 'em both

Hadn't heard of Songs of Syx but I see it has a demo so I'll be checking that one out

khy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 8, 2022

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I’ve become the Rimword shill

Play Rimworld

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

For example:

I have Switch and PS5.

How about the Devil May Cry series? Also God of War.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WaltherFeng posted:

For example:

I have Switch and PS5.

Onimusha

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thanks for recommendations so far.

Cryptark looks sick, never heard of this one.

I was thinking of the usual character action games but one thing that turns me off is item penalties (In NG1 for example theres no penalty for using items so you are encouraged to spend your consumables)

I think both Bayo 1 and DMC have rank penalties.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I know for a fact that Bayo 2 and 3 don't have item penalties, and if I remember correctly neither do DMC1 or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which might be right up your alley if it works on PS5.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Revengeance was never on PS4, so unless you have a PS3 clanging around it'd have to be PC or, I assume it's on the back compat list for Bone/Series

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Android phone games that pair with the anime series Evengelion / Gundam / Ghost in the Shell / Cowboy Bebop / similar -anything? thx!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Thanks for recommendations so far.

Cryptark looks sick, never heard of this one.

I was thinking of the usual character action games but one thing that turns me off is item penalties (In NG1 for example theres no penalty for using items so you are encouraged to spend your consumables)

I think both Bayo 1 and DMC have rank penalties.

DMC consumables are basically cheat items, though. You get a rank penalty for good reason.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I'm a bit crushed that Shatter doesn't work (at least, not remotely well) on the Steam Deck. Anyone know any other fun Breakout-style games that might scratch that itch?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pipski posted:

I'm a bit crushed that Shatter doesn't work (at least, not remotely well) on the Steam Deck. Anyone know any other fun Breakout-style games that might scratch that itch?

Wizorb comes to mind, haven’t played it myself

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Wizorb comes to mind, haven’t played it myself

For a couple of quid, probably worth a shot at least. Cheers!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think there's anything good in this genre that I haven't played yet but I might as well ask just in case.

I kind of looking for a new PvE coop action game to play. I'm looking for something that I can jump into and play with random other players for a couple of missions without long term commitments or having to find a group of people or anything.

I already played all PC Monster Hunters, Deep Rock Galactic and Warframe to death. Killing Floor 1 and 2 were fun up until they hosed the games up with too much poo poo. Vermintide 2 didn't hook me at all.
Any other recommendations?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think there's anything good in this genre that I haven't played yet but I might as well ask just in case.

I kind of looking for a new PvE coop action game to play. I'm looking for something that I can jump into and play with random other players for a couple of missions without long term commitments or having to find a group of people or anything.

I already played all PC Monster Hunters, Deep Rock Galactic and Warframe to death. Killing Floor 1 and 2 were fun up until they hosed the games up with too much poo poo. Vermintide 2 didn't hook me at all.

Earth Defense Force

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jack Trades posted:

Guild Wars 2 is good for automatically placing you in a group for whatever event is going on in the world. You just walk to wherever poo poo is going down and start fighting, there's no join button. It's MMO style press buttons in order on a skill bar style of gameplay, instead of aim and shoot.

Have you tried Rocket League? It's the epitome of "I'll just play one match" that turns into hours long session since it's just so much fun. You just match with other randos who're about as bad at the game as you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StoryTime posted:

Have you tried Rocket League? It's the epitome of "I'll just play one match" that turns into hours long session since it's just so much fun. You just match with other randos who're about as bad at the game as you.

I was looking for a PvE game specifically. I already have enough competitive games that I'm interested in, I was looking for something more relaxing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dunno about the pick up and play aspect, but Sky Rogue has split screen multiplayer that works with Steam Remote Play Together.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Earth Defense Force

Oh my god this. Get EDF5 and blow up giant insects for hours. It's one of my all-time favorites. Pretty sure it's on sale right now, too. If you like Monster Hunter's "weirdos taking their weird world completely seriously" sense of humor, then you'll probably enjoy EDF's bonkers absurdity that is played straight by the cast. Just wait until you encounter the aliens that look like humans...

Also: Streets of Rage 4. Even if your random buddy sucks, it's a game that a single good player can carry. And even though the combat has a surprising amount of depth once you really dig into it, the skill floor is low enough that most random people will be at least somewhat effective, especially on lower difficulties. It also just loving owns and everybody should play it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shine posted:

Also: Streets of Rage 4. Even if your random buddy sucks, it's a game that a single good player can carry. And even though the combat has a surprising amount of depth once you really dig into it, the skill floor is low enough that most random people will be at least somewhat effective, especially on lower difficulties. It also just loving owns and everybody should play it.

The SoR4's netcode sucks so loving much unfortunately.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dunno about the pick up and play aspect, but Sky Rogue has split screen multiplayer that works with Steam Remote Play Together.

Sky rogue is a lot of fun flying around blasting stuff until the boss level, like a lot of run based games

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that boss level is a problem. The rest of the game is great though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shine posted:

Oh my god this. Get EDF5 and blow up giant insects for hours. It's one of my all-time favorites. Pretty sure it's on sale right now, too. If you like Monster Hunter's "weirdos taking their weird world completely seriously" sense of humor, then you'll probably enjoy EDF's bonkers absurdity that is played straight by the cast. Just wait until you encounter the aliens that look like humans...

I like to imagine that Asura's Wrath is an EDF5 sequel that picks up right around the end of EDF5

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

any other good train games on Switch? Love Railway Empire but am burned out

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

excited for the steam sale so i can get the chilled out hunting game that goon recommended.

might buy dead cells on pc since i don't play my switch anymore

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

Crossplay has made Aliens: Fireteam Elite much better for pick up and play.

No voice chat though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Shine posted:

Please immediately play theHunter: Call of the Wild. It's incredibly chill, like ridiculously so. Tracking an animal and making a clean shot taps into that same sense of satisfaction as pulling off a clean snipe in Hitman or Arma, except with no real consequence for missing beyond whatever annoyance you feel with yourself. Whatever, go find another deer. Man, these trees are loving pretty.

Don't let the amount of DLC put you off; the base game has many hours of content, and the DLC is basically "I'd like to mess around with niche weapons or new locales or have a dog" stuff that is neat, but not essential. I played the base game for a good 15 hours before I delved into the DLC.

weirdly enough looking into this there are 3 different bundles on sale (i saw a comment saying the atv dlc was worth it?) but they all have different bits that overlap :psyduck:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any games that involve having you fix spaceships/stations/anything large and complex?

There's a scenario in Space Engineers that has you convert/fix a crashed spaceship that I really though was neat.

Kind of Viscera Cleanup/Powerwas Simulator vibes but with more actual gameplay.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any games that involve having you fix spaceships/stations/anything large and complex?

There's a scenario in Space Engineers that has you convert/fix a crashed spaceship that I really though was neat.

Kind of Viscera Cleanup/Powerwas Simulator vibes but with more actual gameplay.

There's Hardspace: Shipbreaker which has you work as a salvage person dismantling valuable parts out of massive spaceships.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
There's also Tin Can which is about fixing broken systems on a space escape pod, but for me it was too hectic to be enjoyable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

There's also Tin Can which is about fixing broken systems on a space escape pod, but for me it was too hectic to be enjoyable.

That looks like it could be exactly what I was looking for, provided it's a systems-driven game rather than just a puzzle game.
It's hard to tell from the description but they do have a demo.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Tin Can was basically "panic attack: the game" for me but it has its moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jack Trades posted:

That looks like it could be exactly what I was looking for, provided it's a systems-driven game rather than just a puzzle game.
It's hard to tell from the description but they do have a demo.

It's a puzzle game with a very limited number of events that once you know the signs of are very easy to counter. Solid game until you do solve them - definitely don't look up a guide.