Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wonder if Paradox has considered letting the construction point input cap scale with tech at all. Maybe each tech that unlocks new construction sector methods also increasing the maximum weekly construction progress by 5 or something. Sure my end game economy can construct a whole shitload of stuff in parallel, but only ever at 20cp/wk for each thing I'm building. Feels odd for that to never change.

Its the only way I can imagine building enough crap to employ everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In 1880 Mexico, the moderate leader of the Intelligentsia was revealed to be the Mexico City Ripper and killed while they were in power in the government.

His replacement is a vanguardist.

Jesus the Ripper has directly led to a vanguardist government demanding Mexico become a worker's republic.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Caribbean flooding first pass

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Night10194 posted:

In 1880 Mexico, the moderate leader of the Intelligentsia was revealed to be the Mexico City Ripper and killed while they were in power in the government.

His replacement is a vanguardist.

Jesus the Ripper has directly led to a vanguardist government demanding Mexico become a worker's republic.

That's not how I remember From Hell

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I got Ripper Abraham Lincoln.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Thoughts on incorporating conquered states vs not, particularly when they have the 20 year penalty for not being of the same homeland? I’ve been holding onto some very prosperous states in the Horn of Africa which total about 25% of my GDP. So I would assume it would be a roughly 25% tax income boost to incorporate. But are there other benefits/downsides to consider?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I got Ripper Abraham Lincoln.

This is like the time at the beginning of the Mexico game where Santa Anna got caught for having an affair with someone else's wife because the other guy got syphilis, then Santa Anna immediately died of syphilis.

Mexico's journey has been weird.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, I had to stop building for a while, but as soon as Chile got into the British market everyone wanted to hang out in Santiago, even at Cultural Exclusion and Freedom of Conscience (which, I suppose, doesn't matter for the Dixie and Irish people who almost outnumber the Patagonians now.) Still, not building anything feels real bad.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Enjoy posted:

Caribbean flooding first pass

Oh dang, is there a live map editor now? That's a huge step forward
Actually come to think of it, anyone know if there's a built in character editor similar to the debug one in CK3? I figure there must be but I couldn't find it when I looked.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

Oh dang, is there a live map editor now? That's a huge step forward
Actually come to think of it, anyone know if there's a built in character editor similar to the debug one in CK3? I figure there must be but I couldn't find it when I looked.

there is, people have been creating historical figures by mashing the random button until they look pretty close to reality and then tweaking them apparently

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I really hope the first major patch fixes all these overflow bugs. I am a bit annoyed over the Intelligentsia giving -10% Prestige because of the radical/loyalist overflow.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

I noticed in my Sokoto game (lot of fun, btw) that the forced market opening modifier/tooltip appears bugged; the tooltip says it lasts for 60 months, but the modifier actually lasts for 60 years. I'm not sure which is wrong, but "most of the game" seems a wee bit excessive at the very least.

Thordain posted:

Just tried a game as a released Ireland and I think there's gonna have to be a mod for releasable countries because you start with no government administration buildings and thus no taxes, I went bankrupt before I could even build a GA building.

Bizarrely, this was also the case for the Papal States when I tried that, il Papa starts off with so many institutions and so few admin buildings that he's 100% in the red on Bureaucracy. Also: Rome only has a single point of Urbanization at the start, which is real weird. :italy:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Papal States also has a weird situation where the Roman Curia actively wants to change it to a monarchy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

megane posted:

The Papal States also has a weird situation where the Roman Curia actively wants to change it to a monarchy

Oh cool good to know before I tried a Papal States game lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anony Mouse posted:

Thoughts on incorporating conquered states vs not, particularly when they have the 20 year penalty for not being of the same homeland? I’ve been holding onto some very prosperous states in the Horn of Africa which total about 25% of my GDP. So I would assume it would be a roughly 25% tax income boost to incorporate. But are there other benefits/downsides to consider?

I look at the tax base to be gained by incorporating, and whether or not I'll be industrializing the state so much that the infra malus from being unincorporated will be a pain in my rear end.

Downsides? That new voting bloc of landowners and farm laborers in your colony might make headaches for you.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

That's a long way from home!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Oh cool good to know before I tried a Papal States game lmao

I feel like the Papal States are screaming for a mod. It’d be trivial to give the Curia (devout) a unique ideology that strongly favors Theocracy, and the starting situation of Rome is pretty silly.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is there a view to see total goods balance of your own production, not including trade or market members?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really miss the macro builder from EU4. The UI of this game really isn‘t that great.

What‘s the easiest way to find unemployed people in a list?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

I really miss the macro builder from EU4. The UI of this game really isn‘t that great.

The builder is basically the same though? There's one extra level of clicking to specify Economic/Military/State Infrastructure, but there's also a lot more types of buildings to choose from with much more complicated interactions.

The lack of an option to sort states by unemployment, or to easily see what a state's unemployed population breakdown is is pretty insane.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tulul posted:

I noticed in my Sokoto game (lot of fun, btw) that the forced market opening modifier/tooltip appears bugged; the tooltip says it lasts for 60 months, but the modifier actually lasts for 60 years. I'm not sure which is wrong, but "most of the game" seems a wee bit excessive at the very least.

Yeah this screwed me over recently. There was a movement to institute another trade policy but I couldn't do anything about it because my market had been forced open.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The builder is basically the same though? There's one extra level of clicking to specify Economic/Military/State Infrastructure, but there's also a lot more types of buildings to choose from with much more complicated interactions.

The lack of an option to sort states by unemployment, or to easily see what a state's unemployed population breakdown is is pretty insane.

I feel like it‘s a much worse version of it. It seems to lack a lot of important information and the one for diplomacy feels utterly useless because it doesn‘t tell you who would be open for which option.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tahirovic posted:

get the mod that displays this in the building list

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Vicky 3 finally beat me. Playing as Russia it's been a decade and I've passed one law. I just can't stand this random bullshit laws system. It's tolerable if you start with decent laws but start somewhere like Russia and you can just get hosed forever and have your hands tied in various ways and I can't be bothered dealing with it. I don't mind if it takes time or sacrifice, but the randomness is just not fun.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Why are my barracks mostly empty?

There are loads of peasants, the qualifications indicator for the state has a green tick, but the barracks aren't recruiting. Only about 25% employment on men and 0% employment on officers.

Is it something to do with "training rate"? Is it because of low military wages? Will they fill up if I go to war?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Tomn posted:

This was actually a deliberate design decision early on - the idea is that mobilizing during the escalation phase should be a big deal, a major sign of threat while potentially locking you into a long and expensive war if the other guy doesn't back down. Being able to demobilize during the war would have gone against that, making the decision to mobilize one of no consequence since you can just stand down whenever you think you have too many troops.

The inflexibility of a nation's mobilization is also why WW1 happened: France had to mobilize because Germany was mobilizing because Russia was mobilizing because Austria was going to attack Serbia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fuf posted:

Why are my barracks mostly empty?

There are loads of peasants, the qualifications indicator for the state has a green tick, but the barracks aren't recruiting. Only about 25% employment on men and 0% employment on officers.

Is it something to do with "training rate"? Is it because of low military wages? Will they fill up if I go to war?

It's probably like other jobs - they need to pay better than subsistence farming in order for subsistence farmers to switch to them. It won't change if you go to war, and probably is because of low military wages if you have low military wages.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gort posted:

It's probably like other jobs - they need to pay better than subsistence farming in order for subsistence farmers to switch to them. It won't change if you go to war, and probably is because of low military wages if you have low military wages.

I was weirdly under the impression that military wages on the budget screen don't actually affect barracks wages, but I'm probably totally wrong about that. I'll test it out later.

Phigs posted:

Vicky 3 finally beat me. Playing as Russia it's been a decade and I've passed one law. I just can't stand this random bullshit laws system. It's tolerable if you start with decent laws but start somewhere like Russia and you can just get hosed forever and have your hands tied in various ways and I can't be bothered dealing with it. I don't mind if it takes time or sacrifice, but the randomness is just not fun.

Yeah I feel this. In my Sokoto game it's like 1900 and I haven't even been able to ban slavery yet :cry:

Am I right that the chance of a revolution is a function of:
1) IG approval
2) IG clout
3) number of radicals in the IG

I have been focusing on 1 and 2, but maybe focusing on 3 would make more sense. Like would it be possible to shower your aristocrats with luxury so much that they become loyalists, and then you can pass laws that piss off the landowners but it doesn't matter because they're too busy admiring their luxury clothing to start a revolution?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

fuf posted:

I was weirdly under the impression that military wages on the budget screen don't actually affect barracks wages, but I'm probably totally wrong about that. I'll test it out later.

Yeah I feel this. In my Sokoto game it's like 1900 and I haven't even been able to ban slavery yet :cry:

Am I right that the chance of a revolution is a function of:
1) IG approval
2) IG clout
3) number of radicals in the IG

I have been focusing on 1 and 2, but maybe focusing on 3 would make more sense. Like would it be possible to shower your aristocrats with luxury so much that they become loyalists, and then you can pass laws that piss off the landowners but it doesn't matter because they're too busy admiring their luxury clothing to start a revolution?

Or do as I’ve done in my Algeria game and go option 4) install decent IGs in the government regardless of the legitimacy hit and prepare to crush the landowners’ revolt.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In 3 games now I didn't really have trouble passing laws, it usually involves reform government shenanigans and lots of switching suppress/bolster on appropriate IGs, of course you also have to be lucky and some laws just won't pass at a certain point in time but you can indeed cajole the government into doing what you want eventually. Keep building those factories full of mechanists, engineers and the like and slowly they'll be more powerful than the old guard!

Swapping IGs in government like used socks creates lots of radicals, but I observed that radicals tend to melt away if you can keep providing more SoL and money and good laws, I haven't had a civil war or dangerous "faction" yet but I also take great care in undermining landowners and church ASAP and never stop building textile mills and furniture factories to appease the unending hunger of the masses for fastfood clothing and Ikea-like cheap furniture

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 8, 2022

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also if a law gets so slow it has no real chance of passing, I tend to stop with that law and just go try another before coming back.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

get more people into trade unions (more factories and buildings with laborers), build more administration and universities for bureaucrats and academics, if the armed forces get a leftward leader, increase their wage and go punch the landowners

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Yeah, I've been doing the same; bolster/suppress and stop supporting a law if the rolls go the wrong way.

I think I've only gotten a revolution up to about 90% before it starts ticking back down due to whatever I did to limit that IG.

But I've only played Shogunate and Portugal so far. The latter has been a nice wake-up call to the economy and war systems trying to unfuck Portugal. Construction sector there is so bad and slow.

I also used that secession revolt split bug mentioned a couple of pages ago to snipe Galicia from Spain. Galicia secession had a radical split, which won and reset the war fronts, then I made a play against them before the AI could react and moved my troops to the front and Galicia conceded. I was wondering if I'd immediately get into a war with Spain, but I guess not.

It didn't really affect my relations with Spain at all surprisingly as they accepted a Defensive Pact shortly thereafter, which pulled me into another revolt. Sent my trench warfare troops to defend a mountain front and the AI revolter kept trying to smash their superior numbers line infantry into it until they capitulated :stare:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TorakFade posted:

In 3 games now I didn't really have trouble passing laws, it usually involves reform government shenanigans and lots of switching suppress/bolster on appropriate IGs, of course you also have to be lucky and some laws just won't pass at a certain point in time but you can indeed cajole the government into doing what you want eventually. Keep building those factories full of mechanists, engineers and the like and slowly they'll be more powerful than the old guard!

Swapping IGs in government like used socks creates lots of radicals, but I observed that radicals tend to melt away if you can keep providing more SoL and money and good laws, I haven't had a civil war or dangerous "faction" yet but I also take great care in undermining landowners and church ASAP and never stop building textile mills and furniture factories to appease the unending hunger of the masses for fastfood clothing and Ikea-like cheap furniture

If you have elections you can also just wait for one and use the free government reform.

The most important thing in passing laws seems to be minimizing stall chance, if a law has no chance of stalling then the chance to pass it will always keep going up. Of course sometimes you can't avoid a movement to preserve forming and interest groups joining it, so you might still be better off keeping IGs opposing the law in government for the legitimacy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

fuf posted:

I’m not trying to be a dick, but, uh…who exactly did you think was receiving military wages if not soldiers in the barracks? Also on that note be advised that government wages affects your bureaucrats, academics, infrastructure workers etc as well.

Thinking about it, incidentally, it’d be nice if there was an option to underbuy military goods to save money at the cost of deliberately giving yourself the military goods shortage supply penalty.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tomn posted:

I’m not trying to be a dick, but, uh…who exactly did you think was receiving military wages if not soldiers in the barracks?

I think I just thought it only affected IG approval lol

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Russia is an autocracy so no elections. It also has a lot of really bad laws like serfdom that you have to remove before you can enact other laws so you can't just switch freely amongst various laws you want to pass. The aristocrats start with like 45% power and the intelligentsia start as marginalized. There's no way to have legitimacy with the aristocrats out of power. And legitimacy also tanks if you stuff a bunch of parties in. Here's my current "progress" on passing an end to serfdom:

Base 30% approval.

It has multiple -% success chance AND -% enactment time modifiers on it.

It's 1853 and I've passed one law (dedicated police, which passed instantly). So ~17 years of laws failing to pass. It's not impossible, but at a certain point it's just not a fun system to interact with. I could do X, but will that make it pass? No. I could just keep getting hosed over and over. Which I'm over.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There are easier targets than serfdom that can weaken aristocracy --- reforming away from peasant levies is one, just put an IG that supports it (military supports pro army, someone else militia) alongside the landowners into government (don't remove the aristocrats, that would make legitimacy too low to pass anything). Intelligentsia will help you get appointed bureaucrats.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fuf posted:

I think I just thought it only affected IG approval lol

i think that's what a fair number of people believe, or at least that's how they play. but no, military wages are real money that goes to real pops, as are government wages. it's pretty bad for your economy to skimp on either, especially at the very beginning of the game where the expense is trivial. you recapture a pretty large chunk of those wages in taxes anyway so underpaying them is silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering autocrats still rule the world with a poo poo-eating grin.

OddObserver posted:

There are easier targets than serfdom that can weaken aristocracy --- reforming away from peasant levies is one, just put an IG that supports it (military supports pro army, someone else militia) alongside the landowners into government (don't remove the aristocrats, that would make legitimacy too low to pass anything). Intelligentsia will help you get appointed bureaucrats.
Yeah, I'd assume the trick to reform was to opportunistically hack away at the power whichever group you want to undermine, because a small improvement that actually passes is worth a lot more than a huge one that never does. Do that enough, and suddenly the huge reform becomes possible.