Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BadOptics posted:

Alastair Reynolds mentioned it in his most recent Revelation Space book - they're seen by people 100+ years later as a bunch of weird cultists (Muskites) who ended up all dying on Mars (some if the characters have to camp out in one of their decrepit base camps).

Honestly I'd really prefer not to see any of this in fiction even if they're dunking on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

After Twitter dies, Musk will claim victory and say, “I bought Twitter to kill it. :smugdog:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

After Twitter dies, Musk will claim victory and say, “I bought Twitter to kill it. :smugdog:

Idc if he does that'd be a public service

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

can you die from Twitter withdrawal? Maybe that will get Elon

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tiny Timbs posted:

Honestly I'd really prefer not to see any of this in fiction even if they're dunking on him.

yeah either way it's still a weird obsession with how one billionaire will change the face of history, which blugh. I have a feeling Musky will be a footnote at best - Rockefeller, he ain't. It also totally removes me from being able to believe it's the future, bc it's such an indicator that we're the ones here having to live through him. Like, no one cares about former rich guys from 100 years ago that they don't know, this much.

and do you know how many rich people were public laughingstocks in their time, people who yes even had big effects on industries, that we don't even recall nowadays? that poo poo gets lost to time fast once someone is dead, and especially once all the people who knew them are dead.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 8, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah either way it's still a weird obsession with how one billionaire will change the face of history, which blugh. I have a feeling Musky will be a footnote at best - Rockefeller, he ain't. It also totally removes me from being able to believe it's the future, bc it's such an indicator that we're the ones here having to live through him. Like, no one cares about former rich guys from 100 years ago that they don't know, this much.

and do you know how many rich people were public laughingstocks in their time, people who yes even had big effects on industries, that we don't even recall nowadays? that poo poo gets lost to time fast once someone is dead, and especially once all the people who knew them are dead.

Nobody has ever had the opportunity to be as public of a laughingstock as Musk though. This is like if people were able to mock Hearst in his own papers, but those papers are published internationally and circulated 24/7

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
true, but because of that 24-7 cycle, there's so much noise it's drowning itself out. as always, someone would have to go through, pull out the important things, and make a narrative to even make sense of it, which would likely be a biographer, not your average joe. the desire to go through hundreds of thousands of a dead rich man's tweets, especially if he's not longer currently relevant, is not something I see most people doing.

It would be like getting left with a warehouse of post-it notes with all his thoughts. sure, it's a record, but have fun sifting through it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mistle posted:

You mean the one that was bailed out by other companies both over and under the table and eventually settled for just dissolving and letting the brokers walk away without losing their own personal finances?

Because they definitely should have lost a lot more money, but people were prevented from buying publicly, hedge funds were shuffling stock privately to mitigate a "fellow financial business", and the end result was just closing the doors and doling out the requisite monies. Hell, I didn't even hear of a Wall Street window jumper over it, which is how you know when Wall Street fucks up.

Why should the people running the hedge fund lose their own personal finances? They didn't do anything wrong or illegal, just made a dumb bet. Hedge funds are all rich people's money, you shouldn't care.

The other hedge funds that helped them close out their short positions made money doing so. You can think of it like this: all the wsb and to the moon idiots were trying to get infinity dollars from the short guys. The other funds looked at that and said "lol, we'll do it for 2 billion, or however much you have left in the bank". That's not a conspiracy, that's a smart business deal. Small investors who didn't take 2x or 10x profits because they wanted $infinity played themselves. The hedge fund can't give you $infinity. They only have $2 billion, and someone else decided to take it.

And the "people were prevented from buying" thing was mostly just on robinhood, because robinhood is a lovely operation that is basically scamming their users. But also, because if everyone wants to buy and nobody is selling, they can't let you press the buy button. Expecting the stock market to work like a video game is the problem, but again, robinhood is a scam.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Klyith posted:

And the "people were prevented from buying" thing was mostly just on robinhood, because robinhood is a lovely operation that is basically scamming their users. But also, because if everyone wants to buy and nobody is selling, they can't let you press the buy button. Expecting the stock market to work like a video game is the problem, but again, robinhood is a scam.

What actually happened with Robin Hood is accounts are on margin (credit) by default. The actual transactions take a few days to clear but until they do you (and the broker, in this case RH) own the shares on credit. RobinHood ran out of credit and instead of explain that they panicked and restricted the stock being over traded.

If they had run out of credit... I'm not sure the legal obligation there but probably something not good.

If most people has cash accounts they wouldn't have been able to quickly buy sell buy sell with the same money until the transactions all cleared.

Everything else sounds right and this is a piece that didn't come out until later as they weren't thrilled about saying we almost maxed our credit.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 8, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I really want Twitter to die and drive an SA resurgence so I can go back to regdate shitposting things like “lol okay 23 regdate”

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Elon GDP is capita per person times capita Musk

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
news was saying he hosed up so bad with advertisers that he has to start selling tesla stock to keep twitter going and to pay his rent

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Philthy posted:

news was saying he hosed up so bad with advertisers that he has to start selling tesla stock to keep twitter going and to pay his rent

Elon has rent?!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
loans. his knees gunna get capped if he doesnt pay up

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how the Musky fanboys auto counter to "I thought he loved free speech and comedy was legal again, why does he ban all these parody accounts of himself?" and they're all "IDENTITY THEFT IS REAL!!!". Its hilarious because by that logic, Nintendo should sue Muskox for dressing like Wario.

Yea okay, if someone is making an account attempting to use Elon Musk's name to scam buttcoins and apes, that should be taken down, along with using anyones account for that. Though I mean, are there any crypto twitters that aren't scams? But anyways, no one is going to believe that a twitter account called Elon Musk that uses that bald picture of him and the @ is Lovesausage69420. God he's such a thin skinned little bitch and he's showing the whole world he is.

Though jokes aside, its hosed up that people who actually are experiencing identity theft online can't get those fake accounts taken down. Probably because many of them are women and SWers.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
A ripe peach is John McClane to the guy's ego

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Philthy posted:

Tesla stock went below 200 yesterday, the lowest its been since May last year. Excited to see where it goes today!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

pixaal posted:

Elon has rent?!

wow, he's just like us

a real man of the people

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

twistedmentat posted:

I like how the Musky fanboys auto counter to "I thought he loved free speech and comedy was legal again, why does he ban all these parody accounts of himself?" and they're all "IDENTITY THEFT IS REAL!!!". Its hilarious because by that logic, Nintendo should sue Muskox for dressing like Wario.

also hilarious bc yes it is indeed real, so why did Musk destroy the system that verifies identities?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

BadOptics posted:

Alastair Reynolds mentioned it in his most recent Revelation Space book - they're seen by people 100+ years later as a bunch of weird cultists (Muskites) who ended up all dying on Mars (some if the characters have to camp out in one of their decrepit base camps).

:hmbol:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I really want Twitter to die and drive an SA resurgence so I can go back to regdate shitposting things like “lol okay 23 regdate”

Look at this fuckin noob

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

Look at this fuckin noob

get in ur box noob scum

kru
Oct 5, 2003

i didnt mean that sorry I just wanted the dopamine hit

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can't wait for all the blue check "the election was stolen" hot takes tonight!

Hopefully it crashes and they can't figure out how to bring it back up for 4 days.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

Nobody has ever had the opportunity to be as public of a laughingstock as Musk though. This is like if people were able to mock Hearst in his own papers, but those papers are published internationally and circulated 24/7

My idea for designing a virtual stock that people can willing strap themselves into so everyone can dunk on them in a public spectacle has lost a lot of steam with investors after Musk started up his own version.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

We already did this when Kiwifarms imploded lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Tesla stock went below 200 yesterday, the lowest its been since May last year. Excited to see where it goes today!

189.09 USD
−7.99 (4.05%)today

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

One of my coworkers bragged about having his life savings in the form of Tesla stock and is a massive Elon stan

lmao

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

spunkshui posted:

189.09 USD
−7.99 (4.05%)today

lol

I knew he would crash Telsa stock with Twitter, I just wasn't expecting it to happen so fast.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's about a 2 year low. I hope it continues to crater

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

googling "tesla crash" and getting unexpected results

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Tiny Timbs posted:

One of my coworkers bragged about having his life savings in the form of Tesla stock and is a massive Elon stan

lmao

Hahaha

Imagine just shoving all your money into one stock instead of diversifying

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I knew he would crash Telsa stock with Twitter, I just wasn't expecting it to happen so fast.

You cant leave money parked with an idiot who scares advertisers and customers when tons of other tech stocks are flying.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

spunkshui posted:

189.09 USD
−7.99 (4.05%)today

lol

PE ratio is still 58 so there's a long way to go

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

davecrazy posted:

Can't wait for all the blue check "the election was stolen" hot takes tonight!

that pre-supposes that dems actually win their elections :/

i'd love it if twitter disinfo was the worst thing to happen today

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Meanwhile in Elon's head:

Fat toady: Gosh, it disturbs me to see you, Elon
Looking so down in the dumps
Every guy here'd love to be you, Elon
Even when taking your lumps
There's no man in town as admired as you
You're everyone's favorite guy
Everyone's awed and inspired by you
And it's not very hard to see why!

No one's slick as Elon
No one's quick as Elon
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Elon
For there's no man in town half as manly!
Perfect, a pure paragon!
You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll tell you whose team they prefer to be on!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

lmao

:wtf::lol:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Stink Billyums posted:

PE ratio is still 58 so there's a long way to go

The important thing is that this means the luster is fading from Musk. This is about the most objective metric there is in the general confidence the moneyed class has in his person

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiny Timbs posted:

lmao

Between this and "I lost $150K in crypto and my wife left me" types it's like we're bound and determined to divest ourselves of all painfully accumulated human knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

spunkshui posted:

You cant leave money parked with an idiot who scares advertisers and customers when tons of other tech stocks are flying.

Oh sure, I just meant two weeks ago I wasn't expecting him to ruin everything so fast. Once he carried that sink in the door I was expecting two or three months before everything went wrong. When he actually fired half the workforce is when I realized that he was going for the full trainwreck.

IIRC, he used Tesla stock as collateral for some of those loans so he must be on the phone with the banks every minute he's not tweeting...