Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

George H.W. oval office posted:

One of us one of us

Slowly, but surely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Try some anaerobic beans next to get mind blown all over again.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Jazz Marimba posted:

hey y’all, i need help troubleshooting pressure on my bes920xl

i just cleaned my machine, new filter. i pulled two or three shots, and now the pressure only gets up to 4.5-5 bars max. i tried two different beans, two different grind settings (smart grinder pro), and backflushing, and it’s still at half pressure when pulling a shot. any ideas on what to try next?

update/more info:
i was grinding at the recommended setting, 10. tried 12 and same

yesterday i tried grinding at 5 and the pressure went up to 9 briefly, then dropped to 7.5 until it finished. less output as expected, but still sour. then i tried grinding at 1 and the pressure went to 9 and stayed. even less output, but significantly more sour??

i’d really appreciate some input cuz i’m baffled

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It's possible your pressure gauge isn't reading accuratly; I'd try dialing the machine in without it and see if you can find a happy place. Hoffman probably has a guide on this if there isn't one in the OP.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Jazz Marimba posted:

update/more info:

yesterday i tried grinding at 5 and the pressure went up to 9 briefly, then dropped to 7.5 until it finished. less output as expected, but still sour. then i tried grinding at 1 and the pressure went to 9 and stayed. even less output, but significantly more sour??

What does it do running the blind basket/cleaning disk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrVjIsJe7g

What all did you do when you cleaned it?

One of the things that could be happening is the OPV valve is leaking/failing. This thread on home barista has some good info. https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/breville-dual-boiler-not-reaching-9-bars-pressure-t56987.html

Ultimately reduced pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing if you dial in for it, but it could be an indicator of a failing component.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

update/more info:

I had the something similar happen to me.

My issue was fairly straight forward and dumb. The machine either didn’t finish the cleaning cycle properly, I didn’t clean it properly, or the machine didn’t register it was cleaned properly.

When the machine is in need of a cleaning it will lower the max pressure to strong arm you into cleaning it.

I ended up reading the manual carefully, doing a full descale, a full clean, and then it was back to normal.

George Wright fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 8, 2022

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

George Wright posted:

I had the something similar happen to me.

My issue was fairly straight forward and dumb. The machine either didn’t finish the cleaning cycle properly, I didn’t clean it properly, or the machine didn’t register it was cleaned properly.

When the machine is in need of a cleaning it will lower the max pressure to strong arm you into cleaning it.

I ended up reading the manual carefully, doing a full descale, a full clean, and then it was back to normal.

That's a little wild. Is there no way to check in the menu anywhere if it is gimping itself? Hopefully that's the problem since he said it started happening after a cleaning.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Bandire posted:

That's a little wild. Is there no way to check in the menu anywhere if it is gimping itself? Hopefully that's the problem since he said it started happening after a cleaning.

I’m trying to find the resource online that confirmed the pressure governing. It’s possible that I just made that up and performing another descaling cleared up my issue.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those frozen Cometeer pods are delicious. Not as much bright clarity as a v60 but it's more syrupy and full bodied. At least from the 3 I tried so far.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bizwank posted:

It's possible your pressure gauge isn't reading accuratly; I'd try dialing the machine in without it and see if you can find a happy place. Hoffman probably has a guide on this if there isn't one in the OP.

Yeah to this. Also I wouldn’t necessarily pay a ton of attention to what the pressure gauge is doing during the shot even if it is accurate, so long as the flow stays in a reasonable range. My gut feeling the longer I use the decent is that only peak pressure really matters, and even then only whether it hits in the right range, and flow is the variable that really influences extraction. Although I’m doing light roasts with flat burrs and pretty long ratios, so YMMV if you’re doing a more traditional style shot.

Either way, if you can dial in a shot that has the qualities you want, DGAF about the pressure gauge. This is a good time to try weighing and timing your shots since that will give you more (and, frankly, more important) data points to work with. What’s your dosage (grams of coffee in the basket), output (grams in the cup) and time (measured from when you throw the switch on to when you cut it off, either because you’ve reached your desired weight of output or hit whatever other indicator you’re looking for (you should really be weighing your output and cutting your shot based on that))

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My brother is a poor man with no decent grinder in his life, but he is an Artist and he loves coffee and espresso (has a gaggia classic).

I have a eureka mignon chrono which I kinda understand to be basically the cheapest grinder that can decently do espresso. Is the baratza encore that you are talking about decent enough for espresso? This is a guy who has been drinking lovely espresso for like years at this point (basically with an unpressurized portafilter basket but way too coarse) and when he came over and tried one from my machine done in the way that we all do it, he was pretty depressed about his own stuff (oops). If the encore is good enough I'll buy him one.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

My brother is a poor man with no decent grinder in his life, but he is an Artist and he loves coffee and espresso (has a gaggia classic).

I have a eureka mignon chrono which I kinda understand to be basically the cheapest grinder that can decently do espresso. Is the baratza encore that you are talking about decent enough for espresso? This is a guy who has been drinking lovely espresso for like years at this point (basically with an unpressurized portafilter basket but way too coarse) and when he came over and tried one from my machine done in the way that we all do it, he was pretty depressed about his own stuff (oops). If the encore is good enough I'll buy him one.

IIRC, Encore will work, though he'd want to pair it with a pressurized basket.

Alternatively, if you can stretch the budget a bit and your brother is fine with manual grinding, 1Zpresso JX-Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNDX5HW

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

.Z. posted:

IIRC, Encore will work, though he'd want to pair it with a pressurized basket.

Alternatively, if you can stretch the budget a bit and your brother is fine with manual grinding, 1Zpresso JX-Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNDX5HW

Yeah I think he'd be fine with grinding but not fine with spending that much on a manual grinder. I appreciate the insight, I do think that the measure of a grinder for espresso is basically not having to use a pressurized basket so at a minimum it would have to be able to do that. I'll keep my eyes open for refurb Eurekas maybe.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

the encore ESP has been “coming soon” for several months now, and it’s a version of the encore with a few mods from the factory which home modders have been successfully making espresso with for years. Retail was announced to be $200, and the release date was initially “coming q3 2022” before changing to “coming soon” so hopefully it won’t be too long of a wait.

The other maybe option at $200 is the breville smart grinder. Breville owns baratza now, so there’s probably some shared dna in those product lines, but with breville having more features and baratza (hopefully) retaining the robust build quality they’ve been known for. I like to single dose so I’m not interested in the breville’s timing/dosing/“smart” features, but it’s advertised as being able to do espresso, probably does a reasonable job, and is on the market now, so I thought I’d mention it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I think he'd be fine with grinding but not fine with spending that much on a manual grinder. I appreciate the insight, I do think that the measure of a grinder for espresso is basically not having to use a pressurized basket so at a minimum it would have to be able to do that. I'll keep my eyes open for refurb Eurekas maybe.

I nodded and used my encore for espresso for a long time and it worked wonderfully, but the eureka I have now is way better.

Encore is absolutely useable, you just lose some finer control, which it sounds like wouldn’t matter much for this person.

IIRC you’re in Canada, and I don’t know what it’s like getting this into Canada, but the eureka manuale 110v (known as the eureka notte here) is fairly inexpensive if you buy here

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/conscious-collection/28-0-eureka-mignon-manuale-coffee-grinder.html

It’s what I have and is wonderful.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hypnophant posted:

the encore ESP has been “coming soon” for several months now, and it’s a version of the encore with a few mods from the factory which home modders have been successfully making espresso with for years. Retail was announced to be $200, and the release date was initially “coming q3 2022” before changing to “coming soon” so hopefully it won’t be too long of a wait.

The other maybe option at $200 is the breville smart grinder. Breville owns baratza now, so there’s probably some shared dna in those product lines, but with breville having more features and baratza (hopefully) retaining the robust build quality they’ve been known for. I like to single dose so I’m not interested in the breville’s timing/dosing/“smart” features, but it’s advertised as being able to do espresso, probably does a reasonable job, and is on the market now, so I thought I’d mention it.

Ironically I had one of these because it came with my machine in a package deal. I sold it on craigslist oops.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I nodded and used my encore for espresso for a long time and it worked wonderfully, but the eureka I have now is way better.

Encore is absolutely useable, you just lose some finer control, which it sounds like wouldn’t matter much for this person.

IIRC you’re in Canada, and I don’t know what it’s like getting this into Canada, but the eureka manuale 110v (known as the eureka notte here) is fairly inexpensive if you buy here

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/conscious-collection/28-0-eureka-mignon-manuale-coffee-grinder.html

It’s what I have and is wonderful.

Huh alright. At least with this I could put the espresso burrset in. Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Had my first cup of instant coffee in 15 years. This poo poo's a war crime.

After a few days of drinking this crap (Sprouts instant coffee light roast), I will adjust the rating to simply "bad". Today I gave Starbucks Via Instant Pike Place a try and it tastes like a rotten carcass, definitely worse than just "bad".

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Google Butt posted:

Shipping in blocks of 50.. my contribution id is 10 :)

quote:

Contribution Numbers 1 to 200: Commence shipping 6 December to 16 December

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh poo poo yeah, finally

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I bought a Costa Rican aneorobic natural coffee that the roaster describes as "divisive", and it is absolutely fetid.

Yet I'm deep enough down the rabbit hole that I'm way more excited about finding a coffee so weird that it's horrible, than I am annoyed about having a bag of undrinkable beans.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

peanut- posted:

I bought a Costa Rican aneorobic natural coffee that the roaster describes as "divisive", and it is absolutely fetid.

Yet I'm deep enough down the rabbit hole that I'm way more excited about finding a coffee so weird that it's horrible, than I am annoyed about having a bag of undrinkable beans.

I bought some anaerobic beans that were too juicy for me - I mixed them with some other beans to get just a hint of that funkiness. I liked them to begin with though, they were just too strong to be a daily drinker.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

peanut- posted:

there's a sweetmarias video in indonesia where they're walking around a drying area and point to a bunch of extremely sweaty grainpro bags filled with cherry sitting out in the sun, which were the station's exciting new anaerobic beans. there's, i think, a pretty huge difference between the "we put coffee cherry in a closed bag and let it sit" anaerobics and the ones fancy farms do that require big infrastructure investments and tight controls.

but it's often quite hard to know which is which and even the nice ones can come out tasting off and roasters really need to sell the lots they've bought

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 11, 2022

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

if anyone is looking for a premium hand grinder then 1zpresso stuff is on sale at Amazon. Most seem to be 20% off.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

tim wendelboe’s coffee subscription this month included an ethiopian coffee variety that was grown and harvested in el salvador. i’m taking this as an interesting look into how important terroir really is when it comes to the final taste. this tastes nothing like what i’d expect ethiopian coffee to taste like

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ulvir posted:

tim wendelboe’s coffee subscription this month included an ethiopian coffee variety that was grown and harvested in el salvador. i’m taking this as an interesting look into how important terroir really is when it comes to the final taste. this tastes nothing like what i’d expect ethiopian coffee to taste like

The beans looked quite dark, and sounded very glassy going into my grinder, maybe that's due to the honey process, because the resulting brew was quite light. Very subtle, but intriguing aromas. Does not taste Ethiopian to me, but it's one of the nicer ones to come from the subscription. I am canceling to support my local coffee shop instead though, they stock mostly Langøra, which I have found to be a bit more in your face.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yeah, didn’t mean to imply that they tasted bad, far from it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulvir posted:

yeah i thought the same about some "kenyan" coffees grown in central america i've been able to try, who knows what combination of the thousands of differences in soil/climate/elevation/etc result in such different flavors but it's an interesting exercise

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
This is almost embarrassing, but I only just now have been able to get my hands on a proper mokapot and good beans at the same time. After years of fancying myself a good coffee drinker. I actually really like it, normally I'm just a filter coffee drinker. The fruity, sour notes of the coffee came through way stronger with a mild earthy/nutty aftertaste.
Previously I only had either a poo poo copy of a mokapot which never seemed to brew well and good beans, or a proper mokapot and some off the shelf preground burnt coffee. No wonder I never really liked it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I used a Bialetti moka pot for some months earlier this year, having looked at the James Hoffman technique. Perhaps one time in ten it made a really excellent brew with flavour and texture, but I found it way too hard to be consistent. If I could have it consistently at its best, I'd pick it over espresso.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So after using the LIDO hand grinder for 7 years I moved on to the 1zpresso JX and it's a nice upgrade. Much better compact size that will fit human hands. 35g capacity is plenty. The grounds catch screws on much easier than the lovely one on the LIDO. I like that it has a lid unlike the LIDO where beans go flying out the top. And I think the grounds are more even, though that might be because the LIDO has a ton of wear from use. Also taking the 1zpresso apart to clean and aligning the burrs is so easy. The LIDO requires a hex driver and a phillips and the whole thing is just too bulky.

The LIDO has been a great coffee companion but I'm so over it now. Even adjusting the grind size on it sucked balls.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 18, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my JX is working so nicely that I haven’t even bothered to start looking for an electric replacement again

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Lol wrong thread

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 19, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

adebisi lives posted:

There's probably a faction of subscribers angry max blumenthal isn't going to be invited back on any time soon.

what kinda grinder do you think max has

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

For those who hand pull espresso, how often are you drinking that vs regular coffee? I'm looking at Robots again, but I've never been an espresso guy..

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

For those who hand pull espresso, how often are you drinking that vs regular coffee? I'm looking at Robots again, but I've never been an espresso guy..

I’ve got a robot and used to do a ton of espresso.

Now, on days where I don’t want a few cups of coffee with the mocca master, I just make an americano instead.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nwin posted:

I’ve got a robot and used to do a ton of espresso.

Now, on days where I don’t want a few cups of coffee with the mocca master, I just make an americano instead.

Gotcha, I think I'm gonna do it.

What hand grinder would you guys pair with it? JX-pro? Would like to remain budget conscious with it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have a Flair Pro 2 and I make 1-2 shots per day, entirely replacing pour over. I only use the French press for guests who decline espresso.

I have and really enjoy my JX-Pro, which was a goon rec.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm in Portland for the week. Only been here a day and already have had some amazing espresso at barista. Any other spots I should check out? We're downtown but will be doing some traveling around the area.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Carillon posted:

I'm in Portland for the week. Only been here a day and already have had some amazing espresso at barista. Any other spots I should check out? We're downtown but will be doing some traveling around the area.

Clive Coffee in inner South East was always solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Carillon posted:

I'm not sure if it's back open, but Spella Caffe has some of the best espresso around.

Coava and Heart are both good, tho I think the Heart downtown moved across the river to inner SE as well. Push/Pull across the river has some interesting stuff for sale and pulls good shots as well.