Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Play Wormwood.wad and report back if it’s trill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

In Training posted:

8. WADs
  • Hell Ground (7 levels for Doom II, 2009). UV pistol start. 3/5. pretty interesting set of levels from the mapper who made EPIC.WAD, which is amazeballs. parts of this hint at that same awe inspiring sense of scale that really shouldnt be possible in doom, especially since the huge structures arent just set dressing, you spend most of your time actually delving in and exploring massive buildings which is really cool and hard to pull off with doom maps. unfortunately i think this set is just a bit bloated, maps 5 & 7 especially, they just go on and on and on, the combat is rarely very difficult and the level design is fairly linear. felt like a slog by the end but i did enjoy seeing what insane looking architecture would be propped up next...here's some cool screenshots to give a taste.

badass

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (100%)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

54) Contra 3 and Super Probotector

Beat these two back to back, no Konami code.

Probotector seemed a lot easier, though it may have just been practice in the other game.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ff7r: replayed on ps5 in preparation of trying the yuffie stuff. drags a bit in a few places but all in all just amazing. still mad about jessie not getting magic revives in the end

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

55) Super C

I don't know how you beat this without cheats, lots of bullshit damage in this one. Needed the 30 lives cheat, might have been able to do it with 10 on a replay.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Vadun posted:

55) Super C

I don't know how you beat this without cheats, lots of bullshit damage in this one. Needed the 30 lives cheat, might have been able to do it with 10 on a replay.

Sounds like scrub talk to me brother

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Vadun posted:

55) Super C

if you could do it once with 30 lives, and a second time with 10 lives, i think i know how you can do it without cheats

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

elf help book posted:

if you could do it once with 30 lives, and a second time with 10 lives, i think i know how you can do it without cheats

Lol

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

Yeah buddy.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Vadun posted:

55) Super C

wait until you get to Contra III: The Alien Wars and Contra: Hard Corps

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Vadun posted:

55) Super C

This one is easier than the first contra man.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

tmfc posted:

wait until you get to Contra III: The Alien Wars and Contra: Hard Corps

Contra 3 felt way easier than this. I did play it a lot as a kid though, so maybe it's muscle memory

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake:
5. Elden Ring:
6. Marvel's Spider-Man:
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum:
8. Batman: Arkham City: It fixes every issue I had with Arkham Asylum and improves on everything else with big changes or neat QoL stuff. Really really good game. The only small change I'd make is being able to switch off counter indicators without needing to be on NG+
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: It was fun to play this because it's such a big part of gaming history but I don't think it's aged very well. I'd only really play it if you wanted to play all the Zelda games.
10. Psychonauts 2: It really feels like a sequel to a PS2 game but with much better visuals.
11 Disco Elysium: The Final Cut:
12. Bowser's Fury:
13. Prey: I think this game's early going does it a massive disservice. A really cool opening and then the next few hours kind of suck I think. I assume the idea is you have to be stealthy and cowardly early on until you get enough gear and mods to take on the baddies. I just don't think the basic stealth mechanics are any good for that and often the game drops unavoidable fights on you in corridors on the way to objectives and so on. I think maybe 1/3 in thought you really turn a corner where you hit a critical mass of feeling you can take on combat encounters reliably without feeling too powerful. I also thought the world was really cool and I liked tracking down all the different people who went missing and so on. I think it's also one of the few games where some of the email/audio log stories I was interested in seeing play out.
14. Luigi's Mansion 3: A really charming game I've been meaning to complete for the past two halloweens at least. I think the charm runs out a while before the end of the game though. It would have benefitted from being shorter and more pared down. The basic ghosts weren't very fun to deal with and as the game went on I was just so tired of dealing with them. Especially when collectible hunting and a room locked then dropped 20 ghosts in. I think the game was at its best during the boss ghosts and the collectible hunting. If it focussed on having less regular ghost combats and made exploring the focus with a big boss ghost at the end of each floor it would have been a lot more fun. Most of the collectibles are a good mix of straightforward or pretty clever puzzles but a bunch of them also ended up being pretty annoying pixel hunts. I found myself tramping all over a floor using every ability on every nook and cranny more often than I'd like.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 21, 2022

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i beat panzer dragoon 1 and zwei. these games are insanely easy and an hour long. thank you good guy sega. well 1 is maybe just normal easy instead of insanely easy. zwei turns the easy up to 11 by giving you unlimted continues and a full not-bomb bar if you die. nice.

if you haven't played these before head over to your local gamestop and pick them up complete in box for a low price and maybe hit up your local pawn shop where they're selling panzer dragoon saga the the saturn shinobi game for like 5 dollars each.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
bayonetta 3. good but my least favorite in the series

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

89)Journey to the Savage Planet (100%)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
dark messiah of might and magic: the combat is very often clunky and all the sheathing and unsheathing animations take forever, and for some reason you can be dead center on some dude in front of him and miss like a string of 3 uninterruptible sword animations, and etc etc, but everyone knows why this game rules so i dont think i really need to explain much. good stuff, glad i played it, but im also a bit glad its over lol. some sections downright sucked dick, and the story+characters are unforgivably bad.

e: also for some reason it doesnt autoequip a shield when you switch back to your sword from a power *unless* you deactivate the power with right click which is insanely annoying

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im imagining how insanely sick an Arkane game that was just the good parts of every game they've done put together and im not sure im prepared. shame we won't get that probably. it's like they have a pathological need to make one part suck really bad, or the game is too long, or it's janky or something. anyway i need to play dark messiah still.

----------------

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
personally i found prey to be near flawless but judging by people posting about it here i am in the minority lol. Dishonored is also really good imo. I tried resuming arx fatalis again but my save file got blasted somehow, and i dunno if i have it in me to suffer through arx fatalis's awful gamefeel all over again so i started dark messiah lol

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

personally i found prey to be near flawless but judging by people posting about it here i am in the minority lol. Dishonored is also really good imo. I tried resuming arx fatalis again but my save file got blasted somehow, and i dunno if i have it in me to suffer through arx fatalis's awful gamefeel all over again so i started dark messiah lol

I thought the same about Prey and agree that Dishonored kicks rear end

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
pray and dishonored rules, deathloop was pretty disappointing. now their next game is some 4 player co-op poo poo so gently caress that

copy
Jul 26, 2007

love prey and mooncrash is really neat too. doshonored owned. my buddy found that there was a little config file on the pc version that included a setting for how many bodies would be persisted at a time so he just cranked that up and filled a room with guards

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
final fantasy 7 remake intergrade (the yuffie chapters)

good, ninja fighting with yuffie was fun but i missed swapping between different party members. but the syncing with an ally was fun and some version of that in the sequel could be nice. why i’m supposed to remember people from dirge of cerberus i have no idea tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

prey 100% kicks rear end and both dishonoreds pwn. arkanes definitely the rare western studio thats ftw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Prey is really good but I think the start of it is a struggle. It’s very slow to get going gameplay wise. I also though the stealth was pretty nonexistent which surprised me considering dishonoured. I think until you start getting Typhon powers it’s a bit of a drag. The Phantoms can hit you through the tiniest gap in cover and counter you super fast for massive damage. The basic gloo fun also can’t freeze them faster than they counter even if you sneak up on them. After that it really picks up though and I think it only goes from strength to strength from there. A strong 4/5 by the end. I really liked the personnel trackers to pick up quest lines or hunt down people you suspect might have a keycard you want.

Story wise i got into the secret escape shuttle by unintentionally abusing some physics instead of extending the walkway. So super early on I knew I was experiencing something fake for sure. Didn’t change how much I liked the narrative or writing though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Story wise i got into the secret escape shuttle by unintentionally abusing some physics instead of extending the walkway. So super early on I knew I was experiencing something fake for sure. Didn’t change how much I liked the narrative or writing though.

lol I did this also

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I thought the same about Prey and agree that Dishonored kicks rear end

:hai:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

First time I tried Dishonoured I was dumb and wanted to avoid killing entirely, and it made it pretty lame. I need to give it another go and go hog wild with the murdering

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Martman posted:

First time I tried Dishonoured I was dumb and wanted to avoid killing entirely, and it made it pretty lame. I need to give it another go and go hog wild with the murdering

The story kinda pushes you towards nonlethal cause 95% of the enemies are just random security guards who have nothing to do with the bad guy's conspiracy. But yeah gameplay wise the nonlethal toolbox is like a quarter the size of the lethal one so I dunno why they set it up that way

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A lot of the side quest content in the game is used for setting up the non-lethal takedowns of all your targets, so if you go full meathead mode then you either miss a bunch of side stuff or the side stuff you do ends up being completely meaningless.

----------------

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

bump_fn posted:

final fantasy 7 remake intergrade (the yuffie chapters)

good, ninja fighting with yuffie was fun but i missed swapping between different party members. but the syncing with an ally was fun and some version of that in the sequel could be nice. why i’m supposed to remember people from dirge of cerberus i have no idea tho

is there a hard mode for the dlc like there is in the base game? im wondering if im going to do hard mode on my replay of the whole thing when i try the PC version, or if ill be burned out when i complete it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

The story kinda pushes you towards nonlethal cause 95% of the enemies are just random security guards who have nothing to do with the bad guy's conspiracy. But yeah gameplay wise the nonlethal toolbox is like a quarter the size of the lethal one so I dunno why they set it up that way

they give you a deathmask, a sword and a crossbow and then nag you for killing people. like the only fault in dishonored 1 but it's a big stupid one

----------------

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There are way more toys to mess with lethally but just the blink power alone makes stealth so satisfying to me. Maybe my favourite run was the hard mode using only blink and never being seen. I’m surprised more games haven’t stolen it as a mechanic

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man now i really wanna go play dishonored 1 and 2 lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
blink in dishonored felt phenomenal and made a no powers run (except for blink obviously) insanely fun

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

There are way more toys to mess with lethally but just the blink power alone makes stealth so satisfying to me. Maybe my favourite run was the hard mode using only blink and never being seen. I’m surprised more games haven’t stolen it as a mechanic

yeah thats th thing, the stealth kicks rear end and tryin to blink around and use time stop and such to find a path around guards is fuckin cool. both playstyles are really good in different ways, non-lethal you have to dig around the world and find openings and lethal you cn go nuts and blow guys up

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

man now i really wanna go play dishonored 1 and 2 lol

do it, I'm still playing through 2 now and it kicks rear end. 1 did too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i never finished 2 bcause yobgoblin tricked me into gettin it for free from him nd then bugged me non-stop about how good drugs feel whenever i played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i never finished 2 bcause yobgoblin tricked me into gettin it for free from him nd then bugged me non-stop about how good drugs feel whenever i played it

Lol