Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

I mean american interwar tanks especially had loving shitloads of machineguns on them, so absent any interrupting factor they should be several times more lethal than a single machinegun.

Of course it is quite rare to find a tank in the middle of a field of infinite civilians but hypothetically you could probably do a lot of murder with it.

By that rationale of course the T-35 is the most deadly tank ever invented, being equipped with three cannons, five turrets, and up to seven machineguns, it was basically designed for that exact scenario, you drive it into the middle of an enemy army and shoot all the guns in all directions and kill everyone. In reality it was gigantic, slow, and woefully underarmoured because they spent all the weight budget on guns and turrets so it didn't do very well at all.

The idea of arming tanks with nuclear shells has been kicking around for a long time, most recently with (poorly translated?) reports from Russia about the T-14.

These shells wouldn’t be very powerful. The W48 artillery shell had a yield of seventy‐two tons TNT equivalent. For comparison, the bombs used on Japan were about fifteen thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How many five year olds could a tank fight?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mobby_6kl posted:

Do the 5 year olds have time to prepare?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Soviet tanks are prepared to fight five‐year‐olds.

They have a five‐year plan.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean if when the fight starts the five year olds already in the cockpit and it's already in the air, one could probably do it pretty easy just by accident.

I mean realistically probably be called a draw.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

how much fuel does the tank get?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

What exactly am I supposed to conclude here? That Alberta is sewerage? Coz that's not exactly a groundbreaking theory

Outrail has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Nov 8, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

What exactly am I supposed to conclude here?

Alberta’s sampling sucks, and the lines that they have fit are just hilarious.

I don’t know that anyone can conclude anything at all from that data.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/surveillance/wastewater-surveillance/wastewater-surveillance.html posted:

Wastewater surveillance can provide an early warning of COVID-19’s spread in communities.

People infected with SARS-CoV-2 can shed the virus in their feces, even if they don’t have symptoms. The virus can then be detected in wastewater, enabling wastewater surveillance to capture presence of SARS-CoV-2 shed by people with and without symptoms. This allows wastewater surveillance to serve as an early warning that COVID-19 is spreading in a community. Once health departments are aware, communities can act quickly to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Data from wastewater testing support public health mitigation strategies by providing additional crucial information about the prevalence of COVID-19 in a community.

Wastewater can also be sampled and the nucleic acids therein sequenced to hunt down particular bugbears.

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1587551687924776960

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how does covid live for such a long time in someones gut? metastasized lung cancer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

how does covid live for such a long time in someones gut? metastasized lung cancer?

The protein that SARS-CoV-2 binds to is found throughout the body. It's not a respiratory disease even if it does spread that way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Persistance of the virus in the gut are not that uncommon.

https://www.cell.com/med/fulltext/S2666-6340(22)00167-2 posted:

Four percent of patients with COVID-19 shed fecal viral RNA 7 months after diagnosis

That’s four people because there were one hundred and thirteen participants. This is was in 2020 in nonhospitalized patients

Most of the people this happens to are more or less fine. They may have gastrointestinal complaints, but they are not late‐stage lung cancer victims.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Nov 8, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Platystemon posted:

These shells wouldn’t be very powerful. The W48 artillery shell had a yield of seventy‐two tons TNT equivalent. For comparison, the bombs used on Japan were about fifteen thousand.

I mean... being able to drop seventy two tonnes of TNT on something is still fairly significant.

Like sure it isn't levelling a city but it's probably going to vapourize a building.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Do the 5 year olds have time to prepare?
Sure, as much as necessary. No adult consultants or advisors though.

Sagebrush posted:

how much fuel does the tank get?
It's a new hybrid tank, very efficient.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Would you rather fight one tank-sized five-year-old or ten five-year-old-sized tanks

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Soviet tanks are prepared to fight five‐year‐olds.

They have a five‐year plan.

:dadjoke: of the year

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Angepain posted:

Would you rather fight one tank-sized five-year-old or ten five-year-old-sized tanks

I will fight anything if it means the tank-year-old doesn't exist. The concept is unacceptable to me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Would you rather tank a fight against ten five year olds or five ten year olds?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know from previous experience that I can drag an entire playground full of primary school children around.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

I know from previous experience that I can drag an entire playground full of primary school children around.

Your burlap sack must have been huge.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/0kTjito.mp4

:chome:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oh please God let her lose. :allears:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TinTower posted:

Oh please God let her lose. :allears:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
https://twitter.com/drskyskull/status/1592242551351906305?s=46&t=nUbXkCCiSZBcAyMs-5Dnsw

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A bit oddly put together but seems fine?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Count Roland posted:

A bit oddly put together but seems fine?

The rich are getting richer, so the of course the poors must also have a growing amount of expendable income they plan to spend on their vacations

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Graph doesn't say anything about income levels though? Forecasting tourist spending to roughly return to pre-pandemic levels doesn't seem unreasonable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s goofy to not graph anything prior to 2019. Give us some context for the current figures and projections.

The projections are lazy. Everything continues on a linear trend except that North America won’t grow at all and donates its growth to Asia.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay I know this is far from the only thing wrong with that post but I'm really hung up on the fact that the x-axis is time, but each line is also time, and they are different.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
also "back WITH A VENGENCE" is a real weird thing to say for a projection that is really the same as in 2019

like it's the headline that goes with the "pent up demand" fairy tale of "well, people didn't go on vacation for 3 years so they're gonna go loving NUTS this year", but their projections are just kinda mid and they forgot to update the title

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1592695139805253633?t=efsGbhHDNAtn2i6bwTLv5Q&s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat, I never would've guessed Illinois was absolutely obliterating the wokeness race

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wanna see the leverage plot for that one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Plot looks like a crab.

:yeeclaw:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I want to see how wokeness is calculated.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Slurs per student-hour

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm glad they labeled the trendline or I would have assumed there's one very linear state.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, I never would've guessed Illinois was absolutely obliterating the wokeness race
yeah, the third most woke state, Alabama, is really gonna have to work to catch up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Count Roland posted:

https://twitter.com/z3dster/status/1592697489445920768

Source: Trust me bro I mathed it