Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KozmoNaut posted:

The ancient door locks in my apartment building are set to be replaced with a "cloud-based, intelligent system" :shepicide:

It seems that after I stepped down as a board member, there is not one goddamn person with any sort of technical understanding left. loving glad I'm moving out in a year or so.

E: Of course it's putting control of our door locks in the hands of AWS, amazing!

This is A Thing around here, with more and more of my friends having those on their apartments. I occasionally think about getting a sniffer setup so I can gently caress with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

But we'll be able to pay to have compatible lock installed on our apartment doors, so we'll have one key for everything!

Yeah no, I'll just stick with a good old lock cylinder and key that is under my and only my control, thank you very much.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My startup, 1Housekey

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

My startup, 1Housekey

2Locks1Housekey

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have seen too many lock picking videos. I trust the electronic locks as much as I trust the old locks (barely at all).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I have seen too many lock picking videos. I trust the electronic locks as much as I trust the old locks (barely at all).

Last I checked an automated lockpick is alot harder to make than an automated sniffer for that sort of thing.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Last I checked an automated lockpick is alot harder to make than an automated sniffer for that sort of thing.

Bump keys are pretty easy to make/use. Any kwikset (most common household lock) can be bumped in under a second

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

App13 posted:

Bump keys are pretty easy to make/use. Any kwikset (most common household lock) can be bumped in under a second

Well poo poo, I didn't know about those

I also wanna say lockpicking is a rarer skillset, but I have to remember who I spend most of my time talking to

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

Lol no. I understand that this isn't as common knowledge even though its so widely available.

Physical security is a very big topic, but its not worth the headache of worrying about this issue as long as you are doing some basic things. People will worry about reinforced doors and expensive locks while having a glass window 2 feet away.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't know about those

I also wanna say lockpicking is a rarer skillset, but I have to remember who I spend most of my time talking to

I’m a physical security nerd so I think I vastly overestimate the general public’s knowledge about this sort of thing, and probably even the typical infosec professionals baseline knowledge on this sort of thing.

In my mind lockpicking is a fun hobby but has VERY little practical value in the field (but not 0).

Usually there is just a better way to get through the door. Bumpkeys, under the door attacks, around the door attacks, etc. I could go on and on though

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Lol no. I understand that this isn't as common knowledge even though its so widely available.

Physical security is a very big topic, but its not worth the headache of worrying about this issue as long as you are doing some basic things. People will worry about reinforced doors and expensive locks while having a glass window 2 feet away.

Yeah, having a window right next to the door is one of the more bafflingly common design decisions out there

I knew one person who kept an umbrella stand full of weapons(assorted sticks and a baseball bat) in front of that window, and it feels like your paranoia has skipped a track at that point

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Was on a physical pen test one time and the only door was solid core, all windows were impact resistant ballistic glass with fault detection, whole 9-yards.

It was a “no holds barred” sort of engagement so I cut a hole through the drywall.

If someone wants to get into a building they are going to do it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

App13 posted:

Was on a physical pen test one time and the only door was solid core, all windows were impact resistant ballistic glass with fault detection, whole 9-yards.

It was a “no holds barred” sort of engagement so I cut a hole through the drywall.

This is unironically the best way to breach assuming you don't mind damaging things. Doors are dangerous. Windows aren't much better.

Also it's one of my favorite scenes in Burn Notice (S1E1).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My favorite on internal doors is just popping open a ceiling tile and climbing over the drywall.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I seem to recall someone doing that but with the raised floor?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Internet Explorer posted:

My favorite on internal doors is just popping open a ceiling tile and climbing over the drywall.

Been there, kinda! In the ceiling tile of one room and punching through the drywall from above to use a yard stick to open a handle on the other side. No visible damage that way (well, unless you're in the ceiling).

Also got access to a network once because the network closet door had scrap cat6 cable stuck in it from years before when their contractor originally pulled cable for them (presumably to go in and out of the room without a key). No one ever bothered to check it apparently and I was able to just walk right in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Internet Explorer posted:

Had to do this once at a remote site because staff didn't leave a key for the network closet. Stood on my boss' shoulders (there was no ladder), stuck my head and torso up through the drop ceiling, and opened the door using a patch cable tied into a tiny lasso so that it could reach and lift the door handle. It worked but was extremely stupid.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Punching holes in drywall is a fun way to get in. But I will say that lockpicking is a real common skill that can probably be easily learned if you want to. Consider how relatively easy it is to get someone to pick your own lock at 2am when you find out your keys are gone.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

BonHair posted:

Punching holes in drywall is a fun way to get in. But I will say that lockpicking is a real common skill that can probably be easily learned if you want to. Consider how relatively easy it is to get someone to pick your own lock at 2am when you find out your keys are gone.

Consumer locks =/= enterprise locks.

Anyone can pick a kwikset 991. I’ve only ever met one person who can pick an ASSA Twin, and it takes them like 5-10 minutes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

App13 posted:

I would love to hear that story and any others!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

App13 posted:

Consumer locks =/= enterprise locks.

Anyone can pick a kwikset 991. I’ve only ever met one person who can pick an ASSA Twin, and it takes them like 5-10 minutes.

Never heard of ASSA, so I googled it. It's so secure, you can't even buy it. Found some shady ebay listings, one amazon product that's no longer available with one star rating since apparently it came without a key ... and that's about it. Maybe it's only for industrial use, where you buy directly from the manufacturer 1000 of them at a time.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

You buy ASSA locks through a certified dealer, usually a locksmith or GC firm. That’s the lock you will commonly see in university or professional campus settings

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Had to do this once at a remote site because staff didn't leave a key for the network closet. Stood on my boss' shoulders (there was no ladder), stuck my head and torso up through the drop ceiling, and opened the door using a patch cable tied into a tiny lasso so that it could reach and lift the door handle. It worked but was extremely stupid.

This also wasn't a pen-test story, but back in the 90s, I worked for an ISP that had a small presence in New Orleans. I was there to do a build-out, and while I was there, our BSDi terminal server with a bank of US Robotics modems had a network card failure, and while I had access to the network room, I didn't have a key to the office space where there were a couple of PCs for desktops.

At the time, we used Intel 3C509s (I don't for sure remember, but I think it was the TP variant and not the coax one) on all the PCs we built, so, all I had to do was cannibalize the network card from an unused desktop and put it into the terminal server. As it was around midnight, and I had been in the hotel bar having a few bloody Mary's with pickled green beans, we figured the best course of action was to have me climb up into the ceiling and go over the door to get the card from one of the desktops so we could get folks SLIP and PPP access back online as soon as possible.

I got boosted up into the ceiling, and started to inch my way on top of the hung ceiling over the doorway, and as I got into the office space, I felt the ceiling structure start to buckle. I grabbed onto the I-beam hanging over the space, but my lower body dropped as the entire hung ceiling collapsed into the space below while I had a death grip on the I-beam. Eventually, I figured that the damage was done, and I had to just let go and drop down to do the work we had started. I shut down the desktop, removed the network card, unlocked the office door, went back to the equipment room, replaced the card in it, and got it back up and running. The collapsed ceiling would be tomorrow's problem.

The next day, we came back to continue our work and saw that the hallways were sealed off with plastic sheeting and there were a bunch of workers in full hazmat suits. Apparently the place was full of asbestos, but I'm not sure they noticed the fingernail scrapes in the I-beams that knocked a lot of it loose.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

Never heard of ASSA, so I googled it. It's so secure, you can't even buy it. Found some shady ebay listings, one amazon product that's no longer available with one star rating since apparently it came without a key ... and that's about it. Maybe it's only for industrial use, where you buy directly from the manufacturer 1000 of them at a time.

You might have better luck searching for the current corporate name "ASSA Abloy" https://www.assaabloy.com

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you're not into locksport but interested, there's a lot of good youtube content on it. I started watching BosnianBill a long time ago and his videos usually involved picking a complicated lock, disassembling it to show you the construction and all the different kinds of pins, and talking about and modifying lockpicking tools. He'd also pick or bypass easy locks like masterlocks now and then just to show how bad they are and why. He's retired from making videos due to getting busy in real life but he has a lot of good ones that tend to be longer:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

The Lockpicking Lawyer has much more direct and to the point videos generally defeating commonly available locks or showing bypasses or exploits that make things that should be secure not secure if you know how they work (he takes companies that make lovely gun safes and locks to town pretty often):
https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer

Deviant Ollam does a lot of pentesting stuff that includes locks and other bypasses, but I don't personally watch much of his content. He's got that early 90s 2600 energy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DeviantOllam/videos

I think I first heard of Assa Abloy on Bosnianbill's channel and website where he recommended them as a top choice for a serious home lock if you wanted the best money could buy off the shelf.

Anyway, BB's website seems to have become a repository of information since he stopped making videos so there's tutorials and resources. The front page also seems to have new videos from other creators featured on it.
https://locklab.com/

In the US the laws for owning lockpicking tools varies by state, but only a few restrict them. I haven't seen this site before but it has a synopsis of legality on it (wouldn't hurt to double check if you're in one of the areas):
https://www.art-of-lockpicking.com/is-lock-picking-illegal/

quote:

United States Lock Picking Laws By State
In the US there are several states that have unique laws regarding the possession of lock picks. Three of these states have specific laws directly restricting lock picking tools. These states are:

Mississippi: Possession of lock picks is legal so long as they are not concealed. However, once you put them in your pocket it becomes intent to commit a crime. If you live in this state and own lock picks, leave them at home.
Tennessee: Possession of lock picks is legal, however, Tennessee has some very strict laws to prevent locksmith fraud. If you live in this state it is illegal to use your skills for any sort of profit unless you are a licensed locksmith. If you don't have a license be sure to keep it a hobby.
Illinois: Possession of lock picks is legal, however, the possession of bump keys is illegal.
Nevada: Illegal; Possession can be prima facie evidence of criminal intent. You may have to prove noncriminal intent.
Ohio: Illegal; Possession can be prima facie evidence of criminal intent. You may have to prove noncriminal intent.
Virginia: Illegal; Possession can be prima facie evidence of criminal intent. You may have to prove noncriminal intent.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

App13 posted:

Our store locations are metal/big box type buildings. At 3am one morning, a thief removed enough of the screws on the metal panels on the outside to fold one up. Either he was just lucky, or had this spot picked in advance, but he just happened to do this in an area that didn't have internal walls built up in front of it. After moving the metal out of the way he tore through some plastic sheeting, pushed the insulation aside, and he was in.

In the end all he did was steal a couple of hand tools and a single cheap Black and Decker drill. He had tripped the motion sensors soon as he slipped in. The police had spotted the hole when they did an initial search of the outside and they were waiting when he came back out.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

I don't have many exciting stories, everyone wants fun incognito, in-person social engineering, but that's only made up like 5% of my actual assignments :(. Here's one from this year though:

I had an assignment to breach a corporate WiFi network on the fifth floor of an office building. I was able to fit my WiFi radio equipment inside of a handbag, and went to the fifth floor. Their suite itself was locked up, but the bathrooms in the hallway outside of the suite were not. I had already set up kismet and some other tooling to run automatically in my bag so I could enumerate what WiFi technology they were using.

I left, look at my data, and was super thrilled because they were using PEAP-MSCHAPv2 for authentication to join the WiFi network.

This is very insecure. It's very easy to pretend to be the real access points and pull down active directory usernames and password hashes directly over the air, especially if laptops are configured to connect to them automatically. Which they were.

One other issue though, the customer also had a WIDS in play. But a WIDS can only defend if it's range of course. So I configured my rogue-credential-stealing AP, hid it back in the bag, and the next day I hung out in the building lobby in a sitting area (far outside the WIDS range!) and messed around on my phone for about an hour. The passing laptops saw my rogue AP and sent me credentials to connect to the "WiFi". I'm unsure if these people had hibernation mode disabled, or what configuration issue there was that the laptops were trying to connect to the WiFi while closed and in bags, but that's what they did.

When I checked my equipment, I must have had at least a dozen usernames and password hashes (8 or so I was able to crack).

Came back the next day, went to the 5th floor bathroom. Logged into the WiFi and then into one of the users O365 (the customer had MFA disabled if the user is coming from an internal network) e-mail and took a screenshot for the evidence.

It was a fun job, and I knew I was going to succeed as soon as I saw PEAP-MSCHAPv2.

Edit: They switched to certificate based authentication after this.

FungiCap fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lol, lmao even

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1589762598605828098?t=J5DnF9JpAZoOHkr-0-kWtQ&s=19

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

No, please do this. Its very entertaining.

Just don't do it if you work with me

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

FungiCap posted:

I don't have many exciting stories, everyone wants fun incognito, in-person social engineering, but that's only made up like 5% of my actual assignments :(. Here's one from this year though:

I had an assignment to breach a corporate WiFi network on the fifth floor of an office building. I was able to fit my WiFi radio equipment inside of a handbag, and went to the fifth floor. Their suite itself was locked up, but the bathrooms in the hallway outside of the suite were not. I had already set up kismet and some other tooling to run automatically in my bag so I could enumerate what WiFi technology they were using.

I left, look at my data, and was super thrilled because they were using PEAP-MSCHAPv2 for authentication to join the WiFi network.

This is very insecure. It's very easy to pretend to be the real access points and pull down active directory usernames and password hashes directly over the air, especially if laptops are configured to connect to them automatically. Which they were.

One other issue though, the customer also had a WIDS in play. But a WIDS can only defend if it's range of course. So I configured my rogue-credential-stealing AP, hid it back in the bag, and the next day I hung out in the building lobby in a sitting area (far outside the WIDS range!) and messed around on my phone for about an hour. The passing laptops saw my rogue AP and sent me credentials to connect to the "WiFi". I'm unsure if these people had hibernation mode disabled, or what configuration issue there was that the laptops were trying to connect to the WiFi while closed and in bags, but that's what they did.

When I checked my equipment, I must have had at least a dozen usernames and password hashes (8 or so I was able to crack).

Came back the next day, went to the 5th floor bathroom. Logged into the WiFi and then into one of the users O365 (the customer had MFA disabled if the user is coming from an internal network) e-mail and took a screenshot for the evidence.

It was a fun job, and I knew I was going to succeed as soon as I saw PEAP-MSCHAPv2.

Edit: They switched to certificate based authentication after this.

This is the content I crave.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

navyjack posted:

This is the content I crave.

Seconded.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

motion passes. the thread demands content

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Most of these IoT locks have absolute garbage physical overrides. And in general, most US (sub)urban homes have complete garbage physical security.

A few years ago you could pick my inlaws' US front door in just a few seconds. Our (euro) home came standard with a moderately fancy cylinder, plenty of security features (pinned+dogged hinges, full coverage plate and solid core, offset threshold, etc) and key custody is tracked by a specialist third party. If you lose a common access key, you get to pay to replace all the affected cylinders.
If you tried putting something like a kwikset on a euro door literally nobody would insure you.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 9, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KozmoNaut posted:

The ancient door locks in my apartment building are set to be replaced with a "cloud-based, intelligent system" :shepicide:

It seems that after I stepped down as a board member, there is not one goddamn person with any sort of technical understanding left. loving glad I'm moving out in a year or so.

E: Of course it's putting control of our door locks in the hands of AWS, amazing!
Enjoy your literal lockout next time AWS gets hairy.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Most of these IoT locks have absolute garbage physical overrides. And in general, most US (sub)urban homes have complete garbage physical security.

A few years ago you could pick my inlaws' US front door in just a few seconds. Our (euro) home came standard with a moderately fancy cylinder, plenty of security features (pinned+dogged hinges, full coverage plate and solid core, offset threshold, etc) and key custody is tracked by a specialist third party. If you lose a common access key, you get to pay to replace all the affected cylinders.
If you tried putting something like a kwikset on a euro door literally nobody would insure you.

(euro) (pinned+dogged) seeks specialist third party [quikset = hard no]

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is there a preferred 2FA app? I currently have all my poo poo on lastpass authenticator (lol) and I've been using authy for work stuff, but ideally i'd like something with folders and push notifs---does that exist?

edit: while the thread was on the topic of physical pen, the technique in this video (ultimately an ad for a barely useful product) is wildly effective for how simple it is. At my job, a bird died on a patio behind a door with a missing key. All I needed was some pliers to give him a proper burial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBpTTZ9lXes

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 9, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1590724257608134657

:munch:

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

I could share more stories, but they're all just slice of life type stories, none of them particularly riveting.

I did accomplish an assessment today in under 24 hrs by password spraying an ADFS portal page with $CompanyName$2022! against users I found on linkedin.

I got one hit, MFA was enabled. I kept sending push MFA requests to them until they accepted out of frustration, which I heard was commonly successful but a bit surprised to see it myself in action.

I added my own device as an MFA device to their account after logging in (thanks azure portal).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Outsourcing regulatory risk to individual employees seems like a good recipe for some very large fines (assuming the FTC isn't toothless). If they start asking their engineers to sign off on certification I hope those engineers get themselves some good insurance policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

FungiCap posted:

I could share more stories, but they're all just slice of life type stories, none of them particularly riveting.

I did accomplish an assessment today in under 24 hrs by password spraying an ADFS portal page with $CompanyName$2022! against users I found on linkedin.

I got one hit, MFA was enabled. I kept sending push MFA requests to them until they accepted out of frustration, which I heard was commonly successful but a bit surprised to see it myself in action.

I added my own device as an MFA device to their account after logging in (thanks azure portal).

I guess this user didn't hear about how Uber got popped in the same way