Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

MJP posted:

Okay, dumb question. I've contributed $20,500 to my 401k this year. I thought I could do Roth 401k contributions once I hit that number, but apparently they stopped taking my Roth 401k contribs from my paycheck. Is that $20,500 limit between regular 401k and Roth 401k contributions? Or is there some difference between Roth 401k contributions and after-tax 401k contributions which I need to address with my company's payroll/benefits people?

Combined.

There's a separate thing called the "Mega Backdoor Roth" which requires "after-tax contributions to a traditional 401k" which you might be able to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

fourwood posted:

I don’t give enough of a poo poo to keep all my receipts for 20 years or whatever before reimbursing

I do this, but my HSA funds are never used for health expenses. It’s purely a vehicle to hide money from the IRS legally. iOS does high quality scans from the Notes app making this almost zero effort, and between NAS and Drive backups I expect to be able to cash them in a decade or three from now.

The IRS already gets plenty of money from me. No reason to give them more unnecessarily.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Fidelity let's you save reciepts right inby their system with notes on whether it's been reimbursed or not. Makes it very easy

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
My corp's merger madness continues! Almost all the changes are going to be for the worse, but at least there is some good news: the new 401k provider looks to have considerably less lovely funds available (see below). Matching has also improved to 50% of contributions up to 6% of paycheck.
Soon, my existing Roth401k (~$70k) gets put into this new plan, so I have to select a fund(s) to put them into. Outside of the 401k, I have about the same $ amount between my IRA, HSA, emergency savings, etc. in Fidelity target date funds and such. 2055 is my retirement goal.

My choices, sorted by increasing expense ratio:

See my post from many years ago for comparison.

The first one, iShares S&P 500 Index K, seems like the correct choice. It invests in the same area my original 401k fund, so there's minimal rebalancing required, with a low ER too. However, I am interested to learn why I am wrong.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roumba posted:

Soon, my existing Roth401k (~$70k) gets put into this new plan, so I have to select a fund(s) to put them into. Outside of the 401k, I have about the same $ amount between my IRA, HSA, emergency savings, etc. in Fidelity target date funds and such. 2055 is my retirement goal.

My choices, sorted by increasing expense ratio:

See my post from many years ago for comparison.

The first one, iShares S&P 500 Index K, seems like the correct choice. It invests in the same area my original 401k fund, so there's minimal rebalancing required, with a low ER too. However, I am interested to learn why I am wrong.

If you are comfortable with being in all US stocks, then S&P 500 is fine.
If you want proper diversification, then 60/40 S&P500/International should give you global exposure.
If you want to go all the way, you could also divide that 60 slice into roughly 85% S&P 500, 10% mid-caps, 5% small-caps and own the total US stock market.
But if you're willing to cover that many bases, you should just nab that sweet sweet 0.06 ER target date fund and minmax something else.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Anyone use an FSA? I have an HSA, and the option of a limited purpose FSA as well. I declined the FSA again this year, but it's probably better to fund it for teeth cleanings and eye exams.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had a FSA but I found managing contribution amounts and spending windows to be incredibly annoying.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Bleh, just when I thought I had my ducks in a row and had the basics taken care of.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Combined.

There's a separate thing called the "Mega Backdoor Roth" which requires "after-tax contributions to a traditional 401k" which you might be able to do.

Is the after-tax contribution the same as a Roth 401k contribution, or am I in "call Fidelity/company's payroll department" turf?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MJP posted:

Bleh, just when I thought I had my ducks in a row and had the basics taken care of.

Is the after-tax contribution the same as a Roth 401k contribution, or am I in "call Fidelity/company's payroll department" turf?

You need the ability to both do an after-tax contribution AND ALSO to either a) convert it to Roth in-plan, or b) do an in-service (while still employed) rollover to a Roth IRA. That's how the mega backdoor works.

https://www.investopedia.com/mega-backdoor-roth-401-k-conversion-5210877

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Salami Surgeon posted:

Anyone use an FSA? I have an HSA, and the option of a limited purpose FSA as well. I declined the FSA again this year, but it's probably better to fund it for teeth cleanings and eye exams.

you can just keep ~610ish in there and let it rollover every year without spending it. if you need to spend it, buy some bandaids or something.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've used an FSA account in the past and it's a great tool, especially if you know you have a large expense coming up.

I had a dental implant done a couple years ago. I was able to plan for it and maxed out my FSA that year. Between glasses, dental stuff, prescriptions etc for me and the kids I was able to use it all.

My oldest is getting braces next year, so I'm loading up my FSA account this year as well. The kids and I are on a PPO plan, so no HSA for me, but my wife is on a HSA plan and I'm unclear if she can max out her limited purpose FSA as well or if that runs afoul of the rules. Braces are about 4500 I think, and my insurance will only cover 1500.

It's also nice that you get the full amount to spend on the first of the year.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Thanks to being a lucky but depressed workaholic technology leader with few costs I’ve hit the point, at 41, where I’ll likely have “enough” for retirement at a normal age- at least until the US hits a real crisis and we’ll all be reduced to hunting squirrels and waiting for the Chinese helicopters to drop humanitarian rations.

I understand this may be a rare situation but is there a “taxable investment accounts for total idiots” guide worth looking at? I’m up for riskier and more involvement and the FIRE thing probably isn’t feasible beyond just straight saving to knock a few years off so I’m just entering this with the goal of setting something up that can pay property taxes and utilities indefinitely.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Bobcats posted:

Thanks to being a lucky but depressed workaholic technology leader with few costs I’ve hit the point, at 41, where I’ll likely have “enough” for retirement at a normal age- at least until the US hits a real crisis and we’ll all be reduced to hunting squirrels and waiting for the Chinese helicopters to drop humanitarian rations.

I understand this may be a rare situation but is there a “taxable investment accounts for total idiots” guide worth looking at? I’m up for riskier and more involvement and the FIRE thing probably isn’t feasible beyond just straight saving to knock a few years off so I’m just entering this with the goal of setting something up that can pay property taxes and utilities indefinitely.

Bogleheads wiki is always a good place to start.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Taxable_account
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

You need the ability to both do an after-tax contribution AND ALSO to either a) convert it to Roth in-plan, or b) do an in-service (while still employed) rollover to a Roth IRA. That's how the mega backdoor works.

https://www.investopedia.com/mega-backdoor-roth-401-k-conversion-5210877

Gotcha, I asked Fidelity some time ago about in-service rollovers - that is a flat nope, they don't do 'em for our plan. I'm pursuing the question about after-tax with the payroll department. I'll probably be in plebian backdoor Roth turf, but at least I have a few pay cycles to finish cashing up.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Space Fish posted:

If you are comfortable with being in all US stocks, then S&P 500 is fine.
If you want proper diversification, then 60/40 S&P500/International should give you global exposure.
If you want to go all the way, you could also divide that 60 slice into roughly 85% S&P 500, 10% mid-caps, 5% small-caps and own the total US stock market.
But if you're willing to cover that many bases, you should just nab that sweet sweet 0.06 ER target date fund and minmax something else.

Neat. Thanks.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Bobcats posted:

You can just open a taxable brokerage account with Vanguard and buy VTI / VT. The bogleheads wiki, as mentioned, is a great resource but it’s realllllly trivial to get started.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

you can just keep ~610ish in there and let it rollover every year without spending it. if you need to spend it, buy some bandaids or something.

That's fair. It's limited purpose FSA, so dental and vision only. I'd be buying some contact lense solution.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ally just emailed me to say their savings account rate is going up to 2.75%. Glad I moved the down payment fund there.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Citi's HYSA I use emailed me this week that they're bumping from like 2.65% to I think it was 3.10%

drk
Jan 16, 2005
VMFXX is already at 3.34%, a benefit of mostly being in the Fed overnight repo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

VMFXX is already at 3.34%, a benefit of mostly being in the Fed overnight repo

frontrun both HYSAs and VMFXX with SGOV:
https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?VMFXX,SGOV&n=500&O=011000

it’s just ultra short term t-bills continuously rolled

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pmchem posted:

SGOV: it’s just ultra short term t-bills continuously rolled

:eyepop:

Not that big a difference from money markets, but I was actually looking for a fund like this earlier this year.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've been dutifully maxing out my HSA for the last 12 years or so and am up to close to $90k. I've probably accumulated at most a couple thousand in medical expenses over the years, receipts all sitting in a manilla envelope in my office. :smug:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

:eyepop:

Not that big a difference from money markets, but I was actually looking for a fund like this earlier this year.

yeah it’s nice for its niche. $BIL is more popular in the category but is 1-3mo duration so it can lose a bit of value in rapid unexpected fed hikes. meanwhile SGOV weathered 2022 perfectly

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a long post about FSA’s then Apollo crashed when I clicked submit.

In short: FSA needs to be revamped. It’s only worth using if you are 100% sure you will use it and your receipts will be bulletproof undeniable.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Joementum posted:

Ally just emailed me to say their savings account rate is going up to 2.75%. Glad I moved the down payment fund there.

Jesus, we’re basically at my mortgage rate for a savings account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

I had a long post about FSA’s then Apollo crashed when I clicked submit.

In short: FSA needs to be revamped. It’s only worth using if you are 100% sure you will use it and your receipts will be bulletproof undeniable.

Yeah, I don’t have yearly expected medical expenses (thank god). I never do a FSA on principle because you can lose it at xx point. gently caress that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus, we’re basically at my mortgage rate for a savings account.

I get 3.00% on my Marcus by Goldman Sachs HYSA.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

What's going on with the sawtooth price? Is this a factor of coupons being paid or tranches being bought, and, I assume you're supposed to time your buy-in...?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Take a gander at that variability in % terms. I assume it has to do with auction volumes but it’s a rounding error.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When we're discussing a short term bond fund that may return only ~1.1% or so in three months, a predictable swing of ~0.15% over that period I think matters. The most recent drop is over 0.2%. It's not a huge amount, but I'd like to understand it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

When we're discussing a short term bond fund that may return only ~1.1% or so in three months, a predictable swing of ~0.15% over that period I think matters. The most recent drop is over 0.2%. It's not a huge amount, but I'd like to understand it.

It's correlated with distribution dates. I think it's a sell-off immediately after distributions pay. As distributions have gotten larger the effects have gotten larger.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Those dips correspond in date and magnitude to the ex-date of the dividends.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right, I guess that makes sense for the underlying bond prices, but I wasn't sure if the bond fund pays out those "dividends" (coupons or maturation payments or whatever) to shareholders, or reinvests them. I would have thought a bond fund would just roll the cash into the next set of bonds and the fund's price would not seesaw on them.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The bond dividends are taxable, so it would be a bit odd for the fund to not pay them out.

The sawtooth pattern is because there is interest accruing and then being regularly distributed.

This graph showing NAV and NAV with dividends should illustrate:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok I guess I was making some poor assumptions. Makes sense.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

pmchem posted:

Ok, someone talk me out of using this for my unknown-term down payment fund. I’m only half joking.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

raminasi posted:

Ok, someone talk me out of using this for my unknown-term down payment fund. I’m only half joking.

A true min-max hero wouldnt pay 5 bp in expenses, you can roll your own ultra short treasuries

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

A true min-max hero wouldnt pay 5 bp in expenses, you can roll your own ultra short treasuries

i know someone who does this and many brokers support it but figured it was a step beyond the desired complexity of this thread

SGOV is pretty simple. it won’t make you rich but ultrashort govt funds have a niche

e: to clarify leper’s line of posts, yeah my original stockcharts link uses total return for perf of funds, not price return

pmchem fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I think I read that you don’t qualify for an HSE if you have good enough health insurance. The SEIU gives me better health insurance than I have any right to have, and my dental is like $159/year. Am I imagining that caveat to HSAs?