Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

exmarx posted:

nice to see him shout out babylon berlin in that interview

He's right about the first couple seasons of Babylon Berlin being amazing. The show continues to be good, but it kinda starts with a bang as he describes. If you're into neo-noir/political thriller, and can deal with german/subs, and maybe have a bit of interest in weimar history, I highly recommend checking it out. You can kinda think of it as a german Peaky Blinders, just less gangster work, more detective work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Mel Brooks posted:

“I’d learned one very simple trick: Say yes. Simply say yes. Like Joseph E. Levine, on “The Producers,” said, “The curly-haired guy—he’s funny looking. Fire him.” He wanted me to fire Gene Wilder. And I said, “Yes, he’s gone. I’m firing him.” I never did. But he forgot.

After the screening of “Blazing Saddles,” the head of Warner Bros. threw me into the manager’s office, gave me a legal pad and a pencil, and gave me maybe twenty notes. He would have changed “Blazing Saddles” from a daring, funny, crazy picture to a stultified, dull, dusty old Western. He said, “No farting.” I said, “It’s out”… You say yes, and you never do it.

That’s great advice for life. Don’t fight them. Don’t waste your time struggling with them and trying to make sense to them. They’ll never understand.”

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
We got confirmation https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1590062464234061825?t=lhD-zjt8z8sTK17TkPHcYA&s=19

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ypvgo5/andor_episode_10_preview/

1 minute preview of tonights episode, ooo baby gimme dat Kino

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kino is kino

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It's loving Kino Time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Glad I work from home tomorrow and can watch on my TV and not a computer monitor.

gently caress I am going to be empty in a few weeks when this is all over. :lol:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ypvgo5/andor_episode_10_preview/

1 minute preview of tonights episode, ooo baby gimme dat Kino

"I'm gonna assume I'm already dead and take it from there." is a hell of a line, Serkis has been stealing the show and he's only been in it for 3 episodes so far.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kino don't loving care

Vintersorg posted:

Glad I work from home tomorrow and can watch on my TV and not a computer monitor.

gently caress I am going to be empty in a few weeks when this is all over. :lol:

I'm really sad there's only one more season to look forward to

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Kino is a vital tool in my game belt and also a great band.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

StashAugustine posted:

I'm really sad there's only one more season to look forward to

If they had any sense, they would look at S1 being this loving awesome and take each of the “one arc per year” stories of S2 and turn them into a full season each. Another 12 episodes is good, but another 48 would be better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Parkingtigers posted:

If they had any sense, they would look at S1 being this loving awesome and take each of the “one arc per year” stories of S2 and turn them into a full season each. Another 12 episodes is good, but another 48 would be better.

Bad news for you, thats what it originally was but then Diego Luna and Tony Gilroy realized having to do production of this scope for another decade would kill them. So they cut it down to 3 seasons then 2 seasons.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean the show's team is great of course but I wouldn't say the show's premise is particularly mandatory for their success. I think a perfectly good outcome would be to close out andor and then come back fresh to do something that isn't yet another prequel

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Jerkface posted:

Bad news for you, thats what it originally was but then Diego Luna and Tony Gilroy realized having to do production of this scope for another decade would kill them. So they cut it down to 3 seasons then 2 seasons.

Season 2 of this show is going to feel so rushed compared to this one. It'll be like half an episode of Obi Wan every three episodes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Isometric Bacon posted:

Season 2 of this show is going to feel so rushed compared to this one. It'll be like half an episode of Obi Wan every three episodes.

I don't think so. House of Dragons was really really good and Andor building its season into essentially 4 movies is great. They have been nailing the 3 episode block in season 1 and all you really get is some between arc status quo shifting. Confident gilroy can tell a compelling story that way.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
FOOK DOES KINO CARE?

(He doesn't care)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Holt poo poo what a line.

I am seriously considering staying up till 2am to watch the second it drops.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Parkingtigers posted:

More isn't always better. I'd rather less good stuff over more crap.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Episode drops around 8-9PM my time, this work day can't go quickly enough. :bang:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Nah I think the format of season one will translate quite well. It's four mini-arcs spread across a season - there's no reason they can't do the same thing but have more time pass between each arc.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Episode drops around 8-9PM my time, this work day can't go quickly enough. :bang:
6pm here; gonna go to the pub after and need to hold my tongue lest my mates glass for spoilers or not shutting the gently caress up about Andor.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

exmarx posted:

nice to see him shout out babylon berlin in that interview

Very nice, and very on point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's all true but I think also, importantly, he must be extremely good at cajoling the people above him into not doing stupid things. While it's plausible they meddled less because andor is such a whatever concept on the surface, given the money being thrown on the screen they must have tried to meddle some

I get the impression that Disney doesn't know where Star Wars should go and is just seeing what sticks.

THR posted:

It sounded like you didn’t expect to return to Star Wars. What brought you back?

They tried to do a couple different versions of this show along the way. I wasn’t really interested, but the people that were trying it were feeling a little bit trapped in what we just discussed, this reverence for Star Wars. But they were also kind of inhibited because the economics weren’t really in place for large-scale streaming at that point. The economics to make a show like this, there wasn’t anybody who was going to spend that kind of money on a show. Now, there’s a bunch of aircraft carriers that are floating around; this is becoming a normal thing. (Laughs.)

But along the way, Kathy [Kennedy] sent me one of the pilots that they were thinking about, but had grown cool on, and she asked what I thought. And in some sort of … I don’t know. I had time. I was in some sort of manic thing, and so I just got on it for a couple days. So I wrote this big manifesto for her. “This is what your show should be like. This is what you should never do. This is why this doesn’t work.” So it was a crazy thing, and it was wildly ambitious. And they were like, “Well, that’s really great. Thanks for helping us know what’s wrong, but we could never do this.” Then they tried a couple other things, and when everything had gone cold, there was a moment where, my God, streaming was whoa. Now we can really do it.

So they went back and pulled this old memo, and they were like, “We want to do this now.” They wanted to be that ambitious on this scale, and the timing was right for me. I had a bunch of other things fall apart. I was getting a little tired of things falling apart, and the one thing that they definitely have is an audience. So it wasn’t an overnight thing that you tiptoe into. It takes a long time. Everybody tiptoes forward, but that’s how it came to be.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Theres an alternate universe where the adventure of the week andor is currently streaming, and every episode you get some scene that's basically:

K2SO: I've got a bad fe-
Andor: Don't say it, K2
K2SO: ...
Andor: ...
K2SO: feeling about this.
Andor: K2!!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I get the impression that Disney doesn't know where Star Wars should go and is just seeing what sticks.

So this actually IS disney's answer to the LOTR show but their brand guidelines prevent them from pointing out that they just put more time and money in than the cheap poo poo they were making before

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The secret is to hire grown ups who do a good job

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Farm Frenzy posted:

So this actually IS disney's answer to the LOTR show but their brand guidelines prevent them from pointing out that they just put more time and money in than the cheap poo poo they were making before

My read is that it's also that Gilroy had a clear vision for the show that wasn't based on filling in gaps wookipedia entries and the issues they had with other projects (especially Solo) meant Disney was willing to give him a shot.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 9, 2022

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
There is always plenty to play around with in Star Wars. Mando S1 eas a nice return to Spaghetti Westerns meets Kurasowa. Andor is a nice return to the prestige films of the '70s.

It's not a hard formula: pick an old genre and put it in space.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

2nd Amendment posted:

There is always plenty to play around with in Star Wars. Mando S1 eas a nice return to Spaghetti Westerns meets Kurasowa. Andor is a nice return to the prestige films of the '70s.

I'm waiting for my founding of the Republic Macross-style love triangle romance with hotshot pilots and catchy idol pop songs.

Edit: plus: lots of making out and loving.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 9, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Theres an alternate universe where the adventure of the week andor is currently streaming, and every episode you get some scene that's basically:

K2SO: I've got a bad fe-
Andor: Don't say it, K2
K2SO: ...
Andor: ...
K2SO: feeling about this.
Andor: K2!!

I do appreciate how Andor's apparent response to getting choked out by a KX droid was "drat, I could use a guy like this."

2nd Amendment posted:

I would kill for a film noir series set in the universe.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 9, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PunkBoy posted:

We need an Andor themed version of "It's Wednesday, my dudes."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What DO they call the days of the week in Star Wars?

Or months?

What the hell year is it!

Palpatine definitely got a month named after him. Palpatober.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sash! posted:

Palpatine definitely got a month named after him. Palpatober.

So did Vader. Imperial March.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lobok posted:

So did Vader. Imperial March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZK57xBaGwM&t=177s

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bloody Pom posted:

I would kill for a film noir series set in the universe.

While Solo is a mess it's probably my favorite Disney SW film because it does have some sweet noir elements to it. Really committing to it with Sam Shitto would be great.

Love Rat posted:

I'm waiting for my founding of the Republic Macross-style love triangle romance with hotshot pilots and catchy idol pop songs.

Edit: plus: lots of making out and loving.

I'd love a Macross-style robo-drama in SW. I'd prefer it be on the caste side since it's for children. But an edgy Tween series with love triangles and making out would be fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The axe forgets

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

My friend came over today to watch all of Andor so far annnnnd has committed us to watching the new episode at 3am. I think he liked it.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

theflyingexecutive posted:

My friend came over today to watch all of Andor so far annnnnd has committed us to watching the new episode at 3am. I think he liked it.

I hope one of you gets to stick it in. Keep the '70s vibe going.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So the episodes usually drop a little before at 6pm and here I am :f5: 'ing like I haven't done in years 'cause they're a few mins late.

EDIT: Still not up. Did I miss something or is my brain addled?

Rougey fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Rougey posted:

So the episodes usually drop a little before at 6pm and here I am :f5: 'ing like I haven't done in years 'cause they're a few mins late.

Same, fellow AEST goon! It was even a bit early last week.