Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

What does a catalogie release mean

Catalog releases are pretty much anything that's not a new film.

Happy Hippo posted:

I've got a line on a used Ingmar Bergman Criterion Collection box set which includes everything, I think, for a good price. Thing is, I've never seen any of his work. Should I bite?

Technically, there's a handful of films omitted that can be obtained outside the US, but you're still getting 39 features (plus two miniseries). The main omissions are a few of his early films (mostly stuff he wasn't that fond of anyways), Face to Face (Paramount owns US rights and Olive Films wouldn't allow them to share), and his 90s made-for-TV stuff.

Going through the box set had to be one of the best experiences I've had with discovering a filmmaker's work. I'd also check out Criterion's Agnes Varda box, which is as great.

CPL593H posted:

The only thing I ever heard about the Code Red guy is that he was kind of a dick but I always heard this from circles that are terminally online so most likely he was just justifiably angry at the people you have to deal with when you sell anything that involves an insular community of nerds. So is Code Red over now or will someone else be running it?

Kino Lorber took over distribution a year or so ago. They're also distributing Milestone, Cohen, and Raro now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Hippo posted:

I've got a line on a used Ingmar Bergman Criterion Collection box set which includes everything, I think, for a good price. Thing is, I've never seen any of his work. Should I bite?

All of the Bergman movies I've seen have been funny and horny. If you're expecting stuff like this, you're gonna be disappointed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCY6kldN2I

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Went to Best Buy to pick up Dune and Doom, but in the 5 hours it took my work day to end Doom went back up to $20. Was gonna do a delightful "ketchup? catsup?" post with the two of them. What a shame.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TheScott2K posted:

Went to Best Buy to pick up Dune and Doom, but in the 5 hours it took my work day to end Doom went back up to $20. Was gonna do a delightful "ketchup? catsup?" post with the two of them. What a shame.

Yeah, it seemed like some of the pricing yesterday was temporary which sucked. I’ll say this, store pickup has been super reliable for me so it’s easy enough to order ahead. And then browse when you get there!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

A DUNE HOUSE??!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This Is the Zodiac posted:

A DUNE HOUSE??!!

I can't wait for the Vinegar Syndrome Doom House release

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I can't wait for the Vinegar Syndrome Doom House release

Only if an acceptable amount of the profits goes to Lowtax's victims.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Raise your hand if you have been personally victimized by Richard Kyanka.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Does owning a copy of the original Doom House DVD count?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He got mad at me once because I made a Mangosteen joke several years after it would have been funny. Of course knowing the kind of person he was turning into perhaps it was funny after all?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Xenomrph posted:

Is Everything Everywhere All at Once worth a blind buy at $18?
Or do you guys think the price might come down even lower and I should wait?

No. It's very twee. I would say for a blind buy around $10 is around the right price.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Happy Hippo posted:

If you don't like it you can just sell it for what you paid. So yeah why not?

Casimir Radon posted:

He got mad at me once because I made a Mangosteen joke several years after it would have been funny. Of course knowing the kind of person he was turning into perhaps it was funny after all?

I don't think he turned into anything. By all accounts he was always a piece of poo poo.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

He banned me for making fun of him, which I did because he sucked rear end

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

A DUNE HOUSE??!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I'm getting rid of a few titles in SA Mart if you love spending money and getting stuff in the mail :tipshat:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I want to get a box set but I can’t decide between one of Martin Scorceses World Cinema Project boxes, or Arrow’s box of sleazy 70s Italian cop movies.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Amazon did a price drop on the Criterion Malcolm X 4K. Preorder is now $25.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I want to get a box set but I can’t decide between one of Martin Scorceses World Cinema Project boxes, or Arrow’s box of sleazy 70s Italian cop movies.

If you don’t have a preference I’d go World of cinema for sure. I’ve only seen a few of the included titles but im assuming the quality is higher than the arrow italio-cop films

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
New hints from Vinegar Syndrome:

quote:

Our always stunning duo of Secret Surprise VS Titles will be sure to wow with the UHD and BD debut of a big budget, star studded spectacle that's about as trashy and outrageous as they come. What makes this release even more exciting is a discovery we made a mere weeks before manufacturing. It was so major that we stopped everything we were doing and hit reset. This cryptic message will make more sense soon... And, on the other end of the spectrum, our second Surprise Title is a grisly little shocker that's been begging for ages to be treated to a glorious HD release. It's a bit too "well connected" to Hollywood to count as "home grown," but it certainly shares the spirit.

Meanwhile, we're salivating over our next set of VSA's which, despite being made decades apart, both champion action legends of their time...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

the second WCP box set is a good pick

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
people have both pulp fiction and res dogs in hand and they are for sure upgrades over the BDs, which is great.

res dogs seems more red/tungsten than I remember, and looking at capsoholic all the previous versions all had a bluer grade so nothing was overly warm/saturated. makes me wonder if this is how it looks on a print and all the video masters had blue pumped in.

i could always dick with the color balance on my display if it's too weird I guess, and the detail is obviously staggering compared to the old scans.

good lord ima nerd, straight from the source (https://ascmag.com/articles/flashback-reservoir-dogs)

"Tarantino reveals that Sekula sewed up the competition by daring to be bold in his choice of film stock. “Andrzej told us he wanted to shoot the entire film on Kodak’s 50 ASA 5245 stock, which is typically used for daylight exteriors. That’s not the kind of thing most cinematographers would say when they’re competing for a job on a production that doesn’t have much money! But when I talked with him about the way I wanted the film to look, I always talked in terms of colors: ‘I want the reds to be really, really red’ and ‘I want the blacks to be black as hell.’ He picked the stock that would make the film look as rich as possible and make those colors pop.”

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 10, 2022

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That's always tough with home video - people tend to compare to previous home video releases, and those can be really messed up.

Like the Universal Do the Right Thing with the very natural looking colors as opposed to the red shift of the original. If that was the only version you saw, then the really red Criterion would look wrong.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's always tough with home video - people tend to compare to previous home video releases, and those can be really messed up.

Like the Universal Do the Right Thing with the very natural looking colors as opposed to the red shift of the original. If that was the only version you saw, then the really red Criterion would look wrong.

batman 89 got a lot of poo poo for being overly blue, but then people rightly pointed out that you can see the same color grade in 35mm cells you can buy

kinda makes me wish we had a good reference library for color that showed you each version. popular stuff like the matrix has exactly that, and is one of the few positive regrades in the format for sure.

the bad side of this would be things like FFC and the godfather trilogy where he claims he doesn't even remember how they originally looked projected and went and boosted the whole image on an iconically dark film for the UHD releases.

or whatever the gently caress WKW was thinking for his boxset, which now apparently carries over into all future releases.

i'm used to this on older comics, revisionist color is the defacto in that medium, more often than not poorly done. it's just accepted.
bummed that I'm seeing the same thing in UHD..just do whatever the person that shot intended, not how they'd do it now, or how a colorist thinks a modern audience thinks, or even what the director intended after the fact

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

zer0spunk posted:

the bad side of this would be things like FFC and the godfather trilogy where he claims he doesn't even remember how they originally looked projected and went and boosted the whole image on an iconically dark film for the UHD releases.

Robert Harris disagrees with you on this one: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-the-godfathers-in-4k-uhd/

Robert Harris posted:

Color for the new restoration was meticulously followed from our DCP, not from the 2008 Blu-ray, which for some reason seems to have come away with an extra point of red. All of this as approved by Mr. Willis.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

yeah, I think you just misread what I'm saying on that one. i remember reading about the 2007 restoration when these came out in the boxset recently. The issue isn't the color timing, which does actually seem better than the redder versions of it, which I always attributed to underexposure and the timing

my problem is the exposure itself, especially in the mid-tones. they used that DCP for sure, but RAH wasn't involved with these UHD releases, that was entirely FFC..and they are brighter than the movie has ever been. it's a noticeable change, to the point where people weren't too jazzed. i still bought the things, and for what they are it's an interesting watch in terms of seeing things that were previously black crushed in the middle values, but it's nothing that i agree with and that kind of fuckery happened after gordon willis passed.

e: i'm not sure why there aren't more BD sources on caps, but as far as I know, the DCP was used for the 2007/8 BDs, with willis approval, you can see the gamma difference: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=17089&d2=17251&s1=188250&s2=191154&i=0&l=0

Most people literally don't care, and I'll still watch the things, and I bought them like I said, it's just weird that they got brightened for UHD, and I don't know that willis would have been cool with it..even if he was I'd still file that under revisionism by the DP

e2: it could even be just the shift in contrast from rec 709 to rec 2020, but I don't think it would take much to retain the contrast ratio of the old rec 709 look considering it's not massively different, just enough to be noticeable..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 10, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This all just goes back to Cemetry Gators point, I wasn't alive in the 70s to know what those prints looked like projected. All I have are years of Willis interviews talking about the style of contrast he used for the series, and all the contrasty home releases. Seeing what's basically a lower-contrast version is a little jarring. I think of it as revisionism but hell, this could be what you saw in a theater back then

Heat's UHD felt like the reverse problem where the director went darker then any other release. More fodder for someone out there maintaining an archive of 35mm frames

also it's dope as gently caress that we're in an age where we can see the seams on all this stuff that was hidden by low resolution/high compression

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

zer0spunk posted:

yeah, I think you just misread what I'm saying on that one. i remember reading about the 2007 restoration when these came out in the boxset recently. The issue isn't the color timing, which does actually seem better than the redder versions of it, which I always attributed to underexposure and the timing

my problem is the exposure itself, especially in the mid-tones. they used that DCP for sure, but RAH wasn't involved with these UHD releases, that was entirely FFC..and they are brighter than the movie has ever been. it's a noticeable change, to the point where people weren't too jazzed. i still bought the things, and for what they are it's an interesting watch in terms of seeing things that were previously black crushed in the middle values, but it's nothing that i agree with and that kind of fuckery happened after gordon willis passed.

e: i'm not sure why there aren't more BD sources on caps, but as far as I know, the DCP was used for the 2007/8 BDs, with willis approval, you can see the gamma difference: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=17089&d2=17251&s1=188250&s2=191154&i=0&l=0

Most people literally don't care, and I'll still watch the things, and I bought them like I said, it's just weird that they got brightened for UHD, and I don't know that willis would have been cool with it..even if he was I'd still file that under revisionism by the DP

e2: it could even be just the shift in contrast from rec 709 to rec 2020, but I don't think it would take much to retain the contrast ratio of the old rec 709 look considering it's not massively different, just enough to be noticeable..

Hard to say definitively since those UHD screencaps are tonemapped down to SDR, but at least viewing it on my calibrated monitor (Rec709, Gamma 2.4, D65), those screencaps look very similar (the UHD caps are a tad cooler/less red) and quite honestly, the UHD caps look a touch darker with slightly crushed shadows. Again, hard to say since I'm currently not looking at it on a calibrated Rec2020 display but at least the caps on capsaholic look similar, though I can see where the problem can be since the Godfather films were not intended for HDR/1000 nit presentation. I think one of the things that people aren't used to are the highlights and shadows aren't clipped with the wider dynamic range.

As for why the original Blurays are redder, as I understand it, they didn't do a proper trim pass to the Rec709 color space and the grade went nearest neighbor, which skewed more red.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 10, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

VoodooXT posted:

Hard to say definitively since those UHD screencaps are tonemapped down to SDR, but at least viewing it on my calibrated monitor (Rec709, Gamma 2.4, D65), those screencaps look very similar (the UHD caps are a tad cooler/less red) and quite honestly, the UHD caps look a touch darker with slightly crushed shadows. Again, hard to say since I'm currently not looking at it on a calibrated Rec2020 display but at least the caps on capsaholic look similar, though I can see where the problem can be since the Godfather films were not intended for HDR/1000 nit presentation. I think one of the things that people aren't used to are the highlights and shadows aren't clipped with the wider dynamic range.

As for why the original Blurays are redder, as I understand it, they didn't do a proper trim pass to the Rec709 color space and the grade went nearest neighbor, which skewed more red.

It's one of those things where I can study 200% blow up screens all day. Like in that specific frame in the UHD, you get a lower-con version of the overall blown out table lamp's shade, with no smoothing of the tonal values in the constrasty BD version, but then in the UHD version without the overall color filter you can actually see some shaping to the specular highlights in skintone (namely on the bald head and in brandos checks/nose) that reveal more of the angle/shape of the light source rather than just one tonal value like it used to be.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

SilentChaz posted:

New hints from Vinegar Syndrome:

Am I wrong or are these two movies Road House and Texas Chainsaw 2?

(Don’t know if those had been announced already)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Both of those seem too high profile for Vingar. I’d expect Arrow to do movies like those

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Both of those seem too high profile for Vingar. I’d expect Arrow to do movies like those

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-2

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Delzuma posted:

Am I wrong or are these two movies Road House and Texas Chainsaw 2?

(Don’t know if those had been announced already)

It's neither, TCM2 came out last month and Road House has already been announced officially https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/road-house

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Well I’ll be

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Caligula is still on the board I think. I could see that being the big star studded cast one.

sleazy hollywood production that feels home grown, but isnt though... hmmm

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

dorium posted:

Caligula is still on the board I think. I could see that being the big star studded cast one.

sleazy hollywood production that feels home grown, but isnt though... hmmm

Apparently another company is already working on Caligula AND it’s been on blu before… not saying it’s not but it just doesn’t quite add up. And Showgirls isn’t bloody so it’s probably not that one either. Im super curious what it will be!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Egbert Souse posted:

Technically, there's a handful of films omitted that can be obtained outside the US, but you're still getting 39 features (plus two miniseries). The main omissions are a few of his early films (mostly stuff he wasn't that fond of anyways), Face to Face (Paramount owns US rights and Olive Films wouldn't allow them to share), and his 90s made-for-TV stuff.

Going through the box set had to be one of the best experiences I've had with discovering a filmmaker's work.

Just pulled the trigger and picked it up. Looks like it's in good shape too, all Blu-rays are present. Looking forward to diving into this!

edit; oh, I just noticed that the films are not placed in the box chronologically. Criterion curated the films in a specific viewing order that prioritizes themes over chronology.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 11, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Seventh Seal is amazing and was the first of his I saw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/millcreekent/status/1589659591373369344?s=46&t=GfOaX5pToMz5dWHFUTzivg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Happy Hippo posted:

edit; oh, I just noticed that the films are not placed in the box chronologically. Criterion curated the films in a specific viewing order that prioritizes themes over chronology.

this is how I've been watching them and it's definitely the way to go. The earliest films of his in the set are at best so-so, so if you go chronologically you're gonna have to sit through 5-6 relatively weak movies before you start getting to the good stuff. Or if you cherry pick the best ones to watch first you'll just have a bunch of mediocre ones left over.

I definitely recommend reading the essays too, they are good and add a lot of interesting context even to the weaker ones. Watch the films first though if you don't want any spoilers though, the essays freely discuss the plots.