Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

You think the dad Ralphie jerked off to on that lamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Never seen A Christmas Movie, so I’m just picturing Ralphie Cifaretto furiously tugging it.

The lamp was a hoooah!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I find A Christmas Story generally off-putting, maybe because of the creepy narration, but the movie's easy enough to avoid.

Though what I wouldn't give to never have to see another boring dude repeating "fra-GEE-lay" while beaming about how hilarious he's being.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
A Christmas Story is one of the greatest movies ever made. I will die on this hill.

That said, this new one looks pretty meh.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5ibYSz8C0

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Human Tornada posted:

Though what I wouldn't give to never have to see another boring dude repeating "fra-GEE-lay" while beaming about how hilarious he's being.

"ohhhhhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge" -me reading this post realizing how lame I am for saying fra-gee-lay and thinking I'm funny :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A Christmas Story is a better movie than Sandlot.

Yeah I said it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh we are going full last of shelia huh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

"ohhhhhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge" -me reading this post realizing how lame I am for saying fra-gee-lay and thinking I'm funny :(

lmao

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Yeah I said it

Mods?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kiimo is an L-7 weenie.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kiimo posted:

Yeah I said it

What’d you say, crap face? :mad:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kiimo posted:

Yeah I said it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol you kids are so nostalgic for that movie

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

my fav christmas movies are Black Christmas and Prometheus

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Throw the Conjuring 2 in there for me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Die Hard 2, Lethal Weapon and Cobra.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

Yeah I said it

Never seen either. I'm pretty sure I'm not missing much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Y'all Sandlot haters/any non-watchers not have a group a friends you'd hang out with during the summer when you were a kid or something?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sandlot is an intensely American childhood film, to be fair.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s no Denis the Menace.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

teagone posted:

Y'all Sandlot haters/any non-watchers not have a group a friends you'd hang out with during the summer when you were a kid or something?

We'd watch good movies like Terminator 2 or Predator, or play Splatterhouse 2 on my brother's Megadrive or Super Street Fighter II on my Super Famicom.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

teagone posted:

My high school did not have a gym or any kind of sports facilities, so one year I had a gym class that would end up stuck in the classroom if the weather was poo poo. The teacher would drag out the TV cart and we would watch either The Natural or The Sandlot. There were no other choices. I couldn't tell you how many times we watched these but it was a lot and I hate them both to this day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well this is looking amazing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was a junior in highschool when Sandlot came out. It holds no power over me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is the one week theatrical release sufficient for Knives Out 2: Knives In to be considered for Oscars?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kiimo posted:

when you tell the trailer thread you don't like The Sandlot:

oh hey the teaser for The Whale just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30r0CwtIKc

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kiimo posted:

Nearly my exact situation. It's a nice slice of life movie but it has no real resonance with me. My son likes it though!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don’t really have a point with the sandlot but if I did I guess it would be that nostalgia elevates movies in peoples minds if it happens at a certain age. It took a long time for me to realize that the goonies was not the seminal masterpiece that I assumed it was

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Now you've lost me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ehud posted:

oh hey the teaser for The Whale just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30r0CwtIKc

This movie is going to gently caress me up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

We'd watch good movies like Terminator 2 or Predator, or play Splatterhouse 2 on my brother's Megadrive or Super Street Fighter II on my Super Famicom.

I mean I grew up watching Aliens, Robocop, T2 and Predator because of my older brother and those movies remain some of my absolute favorites. The Sandlot came out while I was in grade school, i.e., around the time I was like 7 or so. My group of grade school friends and I identified with that poo poo hard and it was a movie we were already super nostalgic for when we all went to high school, lol.

kiimo posted:

I don’t really have a point with the sandlot but if I did I guess it would be that nostalgia elevates movies in peoples minds if it happens at a certain age.

This is absolutely true, lmao. That said, The Sandlot still owns. The image of Porter losing control of the wacky harness/pedal machine they built while Yeah-Yeah is swinging around trying to get the autographed baseball still makes me laugh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 8, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Nostalgia for the movie itself absolutely plays a huge part of it, sure. But, to me, one of the big reasons I love The Sandlot is because it's one of the only sports movies that's just about how much fun it is to play that sport with your friends. It's not about a team of underdogs somehow overcoming adversity to beat the bigger, stronger team, like almost every other sports movie out there. Hell, they only play another team one time in the entire movie, somewhere around halfway through the movie, not at the climax, and they utterly destroy them. It's just about that time in your life where hanging out and playing a game with your friends is the most important thing in the world.

The Sandlot rules.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This movie is going to gently caress me up.

Are you fat or something?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MLSM posted:

Are you fat or something?

You nailed it. The only reason you can feel sympathy for somebody in that situation is if you too are morbidly obese. Great poo poo, thanks for posting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Nostalgia for the movie itself absolutely plays a huge part of it, sure. But, to me, one of the big reasons I love The Sandlot is because it's one of the only sports movies that's just about how much fun it is to play that sport with your friends. It's not about a team of underdogs somehow overcoming adversity to beat the bigger, stronger team, like almost every other sports movie out there. Hell, they only play another team one time in the entire movie, somewhere around halfway through the movie, not at the climax, and they utterly destroy them. It's just about that time in your life where hanging out and playing a game with your friends is the most important thing in the world.

The Sandlot rules.

Man that's a great post

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You nailed it. The only reason you can feel sympathy for somebody in that situation is if you too are morbidly obese. Great poo poo, thanks for posting.

So, you’re fat?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When I got sad about Jennifer Connelly in Requiem for a Dream it was because I was an enormously hot gal with a drug problem. Now I'm a big ole Brendan Frasier. Life moves pretty fast.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

edogawa rando posted:

So, you’re fat?

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When I got sad about Jennifer Connelly in Requiem for a Dream it was because I was an enormously hot gal with a drug problem. Now I'm a big ole Brendan Frasier. Life moves pretty fast.

Yeah man, I just about had a breakdown when I saw The Fountain.... it reminded me so much of the period in my life when I traveled across space and time to keep my beautiful wife alive.