Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

if you made a godzilla movie where at the end it was revealed that godzilla was actually destroying a prop town of tokyo but whenever he destroyed a fake prop skyscraper it triggered the detonation of the real skyscraper in actual tokyo that would also be dumb.

no that sounds like a cool and interesting movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

no that sounds like a cool and interesting movie

wait there was a movie like that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_(film)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh yeaaa

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imagine if the guy who got a dramatic redemption in yakuza 4 was, the wacky weird fat guy who forcibly massages women. imagine if that was the guy who inspired kiryu and saejima to rejoin the yakuza, by telling them about how important and meaningful it is for the yakuza to exist, to remind the world of people like us. people like, the fat guy who forcibly massages women as a fetish

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

imagine if the guy who got a dramatic redemption in yakuza 4 was, the wacky weird fat guy who forcibly massages women. imagine if that was the guy who inspired kiryu and saejima to rejoin the yakuza, by telling them about how important and meaningful it is for the yakuza to exist, to remind the world of people like us. people like, the fat guy who forcibly massages women as a fetish
imagine if he was actually massaging rubber women but thought he was massaging real ones

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

5s story rules.

yakuza 5 is my favorite yakuza game but i could not tell you a single thing taht happens in the story. probably because i spent 900 hours on side activites

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I love Yakuza, but not one of those games has a well-constructed plot.

I’m convinced that the way they write plots, someone just goes “Wouldn’t it be cool if…” and then they work backwards from that.

Makes for some awesome moments with less-than-credible plotting to back them up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress yeah this movie was really good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
kiryu: hello, boss. i have been using company cars to go illegal street racing

kiyru's boss: did i ever mention that my backstory is being a character on Initial D

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

kiryu: hello, boss. i have been using company cars to go illegal street racing

kiyru's boss: did i ever mention that my backstory is being a character on Initial D
that bit owned

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

imagine if he was actually massaging rubber women but thought he was massaging real ones

ryuji gohda turned evil when he realized his father was not his biological father, but was in fact made of rubber

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

that bit owned

Iirc the street racing plot started with a cop in kiryu's taxi going "boy I hate illegal street racers. as a cop I give you permission to go illegal street racing so you can beat all the illegal street racers"

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

That movie sounds pretty neat. The synopsis explores the concept further than I thought. The closest thing I could think of in vidgames was that one scene in Warcraft 3 where the demon uses a little city effigy linked to an actual city to smash stuff up. Or maybe Minish Cap, though I don't think Link ever used the shrinking magic for causing mass destruction that I can remember.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually the absolute best part of yakuza 5 is the character with the baseball player backstory who uses melee weapon-based combat, except he refuses to use baseball bats as weapons, as that would be disrespectful to the great sport of baseball

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

ryuji gohda turned evil when he realized his father was not his biological father, but was in fact made of rubber
How did that happen?

Yohoho he took a bite of gumgum

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

idk the literal only reason for the twist to exist at all is, so they can avoid having saejima be the one yakuza protag who's literally killed people. like there's just ultimately no other purpose to the twist's existence other than using it to remove the part where he's wanted for murdering a ton of people so he can avoid being a criminal and rejoin the yakuza, regardless of how you view it the twist is used to reach an end point to his arc that's directly at odds with what his scenario was conveying
I'm pretty sure the purpose of it is very simply to show the evil guy whose name ive forgotten being evil and scheming. Like he arranges the thing so that he can "protect" his boss with his life and earn eternal gratitude and also kill all his rivals safely. It honestly reads to me like they did not even consider how it would come across when making a huge deal out of saejima's guilt and putting this poo poo in the same story.

But yeah I'm done defending one of yakuza 4's dumb twists, you're completely right about the ending sucking too

It's pretty funny how 5 completely ignores the "oh yeah let's go back to the clan! Yakuza ftw" ending for kiryu and he's right back to not answering daigo's calls lmao

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 9, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
tbh, 4's plot was kind of dumb, but outside of everything involving the rubber bullet plan, it wasn't that much offensive to me

hell, I was more annoyed by more stuff in lost judgment than in 4's story

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yakuza 4's ending was harmful because it gave me a severe headache

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

if you made a godzilla movie where at the end it was revealed that godzilla was actually destroying a prop town of tokyo but whenever he destroyed a fake prop skyscraper it triggered the detonation of the real skyscraper in actual tokyo that would also be dumb.
isn't that basically the plot of Ender's Game?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If the premise of this movie sounds interesting enough to people, I would really suggest not reading the Wiki synopsis. It kinda goes places that are best experienced on first watch.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Everyone brings up the rubber bullets thing but the plot of 4 happens because the rubber bullets plan was so flimsy and stupid that the police saw right through it and corruption high up in the Tokyo police is blackmailing and forcing the perpetrators of that plan to do things they don't want to do so it wouldn't be exposed.

4's plot falls apart because you don't have a reason to care about Saejima's sister and the finale is rushed and unfocused with too many betrayals for its own good. But the game explicitly points out how stupid the rubber bullets thing is and yet people always seem to forget that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just because they're aware that it's a stupid and insulting plot doesn't mean it's not a stupid and insulting plot. I liked that game a lot, and love the series, but the rubber bullets thing was definitely a storytelling nadir.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

By the time the climax rolls around in 4 the key conspirators who had driven most of the plot were already dead. So the heroes just throw up their hands and decide to dump a load of money on top of a skyscraper and punch whoever shows up.

The actual worst part is that the final boss is a cowardly old man who takes pot shots and runs away while his mooks swarm you. If you didn't remember to equip the worst player character with the best gear then you're fresh out of luck.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 9, 2022

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Just because they're aware that it's a stupid and insulting plot doesn't mean it's not a stupid and insulting plot. I liked that game a lot, and love the series, but the rubber bullets thing was definitely a storytelling nadir.

It's hardly much worse and definitely not as offensive as the plot of 2 which comes off as highly racist and Xenophobic, or 3's plot twist where Kiryu's uncle was a CIA hitman he didn't even know existed, or anything in 6 which for a game that was meant to close off Kiryu's story is such a wet fart with a twist nobody cares about that I'm not surprised they're bringing him back for 8 just to give him a worthy sendoff instead of whatever the gently caress 6 is. 4's plot is stupid yeah, but I would say it's about on par with the stupidity of 2, 3 and 6's plots and much less offensive than 2.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

By the time the climax rolls around in 4 the key conspirators who had driven most of the plot were already dead. So the heroes just throw up their hands and decide to dump a load of money on top of a skyscraper and punch whoever shows up.

The actual worst part is that the final boss is a cowardly old man who takes pot shots and runs away while his mooks swarm you. If you didn't remember to equip the worst player character with the best gear then you're fresh out of luck.

Yeah this is what the actual problem with 4's finale is. By the end you just don't care and it has a final boss that manages to be worse than Jingu from 1.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Man, I'd forgotten about Colossal. That was a great movie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there is zero chance that I buy the rubber bullet plot working in the moment, ignore whether or not the police would buy it. like there is a zero percent chance I buy that someone can shoot someone with rubber bullets and they pretend to die and he buys it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there is zero chance that I buy the rubber bullet plot working in the moment, ignore whether or not the police would buy it. like there is a zero percent chance I buy that someone can shoot someone with rubber bullets and they pretend to die and he buys it

multiple people, all got shot with rubber bullets to the point of being knocked unconscious without even knowing they were rubber, but the rubber bullets themselves somehow inflicted no permanent wounds while doing this. also the two guys who knew what was happening wore bulletproof vests so everything would've gone the same if they didn't switch the bullets out for rubbers anyway other than, they would not have had to implicate themselves for no reason. like the full context of everything only makes it more insane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its very funny that theres no blood in the intro cutscene and you just assume thats censorship but the rubber bullet reveal makes it clear that there was actually no blood and saejima is just a moron

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait no there is blood for one guy

he also somehow knocks this guy out by shooting him in the shoulder with a rubber bullet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cia black market dealer plot stuff in yakuza 3 is dumb but it's dumb in a way that fits the wacky over the top tone and lets them have a big dumb bad guy engineering everything for you to punch while technically bringing back a guy from yakuza 1 people liked, i don't think it's as stupid as yakuza 4's because, yakuza 3 is not really taking the idea as seriously as yakuza 4. everything meaningful that happens in yakuza 3 is pretty unaffected by that stuff existing while yakuza 4 really just goes whole hog into all of those twists as the core of its narrative

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

he also somehow knocks this guy out by shooting him in the shoulder with a rubber bullet

That's ramen broth, clearly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want to hear me make a stretched argument for yakuza 4 being more offensive than 2, i believe it's hosed up that yakuza 4's ending promotes the message that rebuilding a crime syndicate is a more important use of one's life than looking after orphans who have no one else to take care of them.

actually one time i randomly bumped into a stupid late 2000s video game article claiming half-jokingly that yakuza 3 promotes child abuse because it doesn't force you to get medicine for the kid when he's in pain and you can still do side content. i think you could write that kind of dumb article for yakuza 4 but have it be more technically right. hosed up to think about

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You could also argue that Kiryu putting an inexperienced punk kid barely out of his teens into being the next chairman of the Tojo clan without giving him any real support network by the end of Yakuza 2 is hosed up too. Heck, the only time Daigo started being competent and grew into his role as Chairman was in 5 but by that point it was kind of too late for the Tojo Clan and they're in a slow death spiral they can't recover from.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
rubber bullets aren't as deadly as regular bullets but they can absolutely gently caress someone up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

rubber bullets aren't as deadly as regular bullets but they can absolutely gently caress someone up
in that case how did he not actually kill any of the 14 people he was shooting in point-blank range in the face or directly against their heart

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

in that case how did he not actually kill any of the 14 people he was shooting in point-blank range in the face or directly against their heart

probably should have at least sent some of them to the ER

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

He landed on a cup of red soup or something

while dumb, i still love how the game triple-downed on having the actual evil yakuza come in and perfectly headshot everyone (not thinking that the police even in the 1980s or whenever the gently caress this happened could easily tell that the bullet angles are all when they were lying down and suspiciously all head shots), and then the chief of police being like "your plan was loving dumb, but cut me in on that yakuza poo poo and i'll bury this report and this lovely 14 person murder"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You could also argue that Kiryu putting an inexperienced punk kid barely out of his teens into being the next chairman of the Tojo clan without giving him any real support network by the end of Yakuza 2 is hosed up too. Heck, the only time Daigo started being competent and grew into his role as Chairman was in 5 but by that point it was kind of too late for the Tojo Clan and they're in a slow death spiral they can't recover from.

i dont care about daigo or the yakuza. centering so much of yakuza 2 around kiryu helping them out was a boring direction in the first place. daigo is, not a ten year old okinawan orphan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i dont care about daigo or the yakuza. centering so much of yakuza 2 around kiryu helping them out was a boring direction in the first place. daigo is, not a ten year old okinawan orphan

honestly even as much as i enjoyed yakuza 0 im still baffled about why kiryu decides to rejoin the yakuza when literally every other member he's interacted with in the story is a murderous scumbag up to the point of, uh, murdering a random hostess lady as essentially a punctuation mark

obviously the answer to that is 'kiryu is a member of the yakuza at the start of 1' but like. cmon man just do something better with your life