Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So they remade the verified checkmark lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait so that means the whole peasants thing is still in effect

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hahaha jesus

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Step 1: Let anyone buy a checkmark
Step 2: Give super special checkmark to special people

Good job Elon

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Of course. Can't have a proper town square without an aristocracy in place.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kazil posted:

Step 1: Let anyone buy a checkmark
Step 2: Give super special checkmark to special people

Good job Elon

A super special checkmark that you don't directly see in retweets or feeds or embeds, only when you look at their profile or hover over a name.

lmao

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
When do I get to pay $8/mo for my account to get the Official badge?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So now there are already two classes above the peasant class.

Is a gold checkmark (royalty) coming soon? Reserved for Musk and GOP elected party members only of course. It gets super-prioritized over all other tweets. All accounts have to automatically follow anyone with the gold royal checkmark and can't unfollow them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Klyith posted:

A super special checkmark that you don't directly see in retweets or feeds or embeds, only when you look at their profile or hover over a name.

lmao

A few more people posing as Elon and we'll see about that

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
loving :lmao: goddamn

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

crime weed posted:

there will be a new "verified account" badge

it will also be blue, and it will override the blue checkmark. it will be provided to verified accounts for free.

almost got it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Time to play favourites and reward his loyal sycophants.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
This is just like when World of Warcraft started handing out epics to everyone and you had to look extra close whether the epic was from a special raid for special nerds or if just anyone could get it

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jimcarrey/status/1590100983593709568?s=46&t=f94IiHtEEww99VT2l_nSjg

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Some real Alexander II energy from these changes.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DeathSandwich posted:

There was a book and several news articles written about it a few years ago.

https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

This was a very entertaining read, I really enjoyed it. Went about as well as you'd expect a community of people without a concept of greater community might go.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
oh my god they went with the stupidest possible solution to the, already stupid and pointless, problem of not being able to distinguish between actually verified people and people pretending to be someone else. The verified icon is literally now just to show that you're a clout chaser and nothing else, can't even scam with it.

So next step will be being able to subscribe to the extra-special-super-secret badge for $40,- a month and then they'll introduce an extra-special-super-DUPER-secret badge for the actually verified accounts, and so on

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I would love to see Ace Ventura knock out Elon and run around wearing him like a fur stole.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That lady is awful

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

That lady is awful

Why should we listen to anyone who isn’t committed enough to buy the blue checkmark, anyway?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Subscribe at the panopticon tier and hide all checkmarks except those on "official" accounts

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Can't wait until Elon rolls out the gold checkmark with ads that are QUADRUPLE targeted to you

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

power to the people lords!

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Steadiman posted:

oh my god they went with the stupidest possible solution to the, already stupid and pointless, problem of not being able to distinguish between actually verified people and people pretending to be someone else. The verified icon is literally now just to show that you're a clout chaser and nothing else, can't even scam with it.

So next step will be being able to subscribe to the extra-special-super-secret badge for $40,- a month and then they'll introduce an extra-special-super-DUPER-secret badge for the actually verified accounts, and so on

Wow! This really blew up! Thanks for Reddit gold and the awards kind strangers!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1590010269991784448?s=20&t=ED1VaFSnbOvt8DDGpL82zQ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How is that breaking news

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Musk has been tweeting heavily since he took over the company. He is posting roughly 25 times a day on average, almost double his rate before he joined Twitter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Breaking news: Elon says something true?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazing that they went with “white checkmark”. Bet that required a lot of brainstorming.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Another loving verification checkmark . What a clown show Jesus christ

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Been saying this

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Steadiman posted:

And of course there will always be the possibility that EM himself will decide to start dickfucking around with your account on a whim.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Happy Landfill posted:

Another loving verification checkmark . What a clown show Jesus christ

$44 billion.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Blue 2

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If Twitter doesn't burn down completely in the mean time, it's going to end up basically back where it started as Elon runs around slowly finding out from first principles why each thing he changes was the way it was in the first place as he ends up having to revert it back, but with like a different feature name to save face.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"I'm going to spend more money than most people can possibly comprehend on something that's crap. And then actively make it worse."

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rad Russian posted:

True. Although Reddit still has central admins by design that need to get involved to moderate and ban subreddits. They've also been known to overstep and get involved in shady administrative actions when their favorite politician/celebrity is doing something bad that they want to suppress. If Musk buys Reddit, he can totally take full control of the discourse there and ban any and all discussions he dislikes.

Mastodon does not have any such centralization. Nazis can totally have their own Mastodon instance forever if they like, it's just they will be in their own small echo chamber blocked from the "normal society" of instances. Musk can't buy and take control of all discourse on Mastodon.

What I didn't want to see was a single moderator taking over multiple topics and banning any user/mod that did not agree with him.

Basically, this user on reddit named "awkwardtheturtle" is a powermod for 1000+ subreddits and bans anyone that disagrees with him. He keeps infecting more and more subreddits and people post their dread when he appears as a new mod.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDIHrX-Jp2E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Just wait until Elon charges for Twitter accounts like we do here.