Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

it'll be a sheet from a dot matrix printer and you can remove the things on the sides

The airport I worked at in 2009 still had a dot matrix printer for readouts (so you couldn't lose a piece of the record of stuff) and when we went to file it at night I basically sprinted to the machine to do it first so I could rip those bad boys off. It was :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Spoeank posted:

The airport I worked at in 2009 still had a dot matrix printer for readouts (so you couldn't lose a piece of the record of stuff) and when we went to file it at night I basically sprinted to the machine to do it first so I could rip those bad boys off. It was :discourse:

did you make a little spring out of them?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn’t realize wanting a physical ticket as a souvenir would be such a hot take.
I don’t think it’s a hot take at all. I wish I could have traditional printed tickets to save for significant games. It is very dumb that teams haven’t realized this, I’m sure some people would pony up for a commemorative physical ticket for big games after the fact if teams offered them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bawfuls posted:

I don’t think it’s a hot take at all. I wish I could have traditional printed tickets to save for significant games. It is very dumb that teams haven’t realized this, I’m sure some people would pony up for a commemorative physical ticket for big games after the fact if teams offered them.

For a while Minute Maid entry would scan your app and still print out a lovely little generic stub with your seat info, which was an alright compromise and I have a few of those saved for special games. Now it’s 100% digital, which I get, but still kinda sucks.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Red posted:

What if I walk up to the ticket office at the stadium 15 minutes before the first pitch and buy a seat and say I have no smartphone?

bawfuls posted:

They’ll give you a printed out pdf ticket on an 8x11 sheet of office paper

So I was primarily thinking about the Colts, and I am not sure the answer to this, and don't actually know what happens if you want to go to a game and don't have a smartphone.

From their website:

quote:

As was the case beginning with the 2016 season, tickets for all Indianapolis Colts games will no longer include a printable PDF option. This decision was made to protect the integrity of your season tickets and to prevent fraud and counterfeit problems that often accompany PDF tickets. Printed PDF tickets WILL NOT be accepted at Lucas Oil Stadium gates for admittance.

Other teams/sports I've been to have HIGHLY ENCOURAGED mobile ticketing, but I'm not sure if it was required or not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The most annoying thing about digital tickets is that at MLB games every time I get up to grab concessions or take a piss I have to fumble with my phone and pull up the MLB app to show the the usher who insists on seeing my ticket again despite this being like the tenth time we've done this song and dance. It also means I have to worry about my phone battery life because if my old piece of poo poo phone dies then I suddenly have no ticket.

A number of years ago I remember you'd show your ticket on the phone once at the door, and the person would then print out a physical ticket from a little mobile printer they had on their belt which was much nicer and meant having the ticket on my phone was just a backup if I lost the physical one.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sydin posted:

The most annoying thing about digital tickets is that at MLB games every time I get up to grab concessions or take a piss I have to fumble with my phone and pull up the MLB app to show the the usher who insists on seeing my ticket again despite this being like the tenth time we've done this song and dance. It also means I have to worry about my phone battery life because if my old piece of poo poo phone dies then I suddenly have no ticket.

I'm in a similar boat and I absolutely hate that stressed feeling, a power bank with a built in wireless charger is such a great investment and they're pretty cheap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had an e-ticket earlier this year at a minor league game that just straight up wouldn’t scan at the gate

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

A number of years ago I remember you'd show your ticket on the phone once at the door, and the person would then print out a physical ticket from a little mobile printer they had on their belt which was much nicer and meant having the ticket on my phone was just a backup if I lost the physical one.
This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. Ushers should never give a poo poo about tickets unless someone needs help finding their seat or there’s a dispute/confusion about which person a particular seat belongs to.

Seems to vary by stadium, must be an owner thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I know teams with poo poo attendance tend to be much stricter with it so people can't buy cheap seats and then "upgrade" to better ones once they see how empty the stadium is

Also count me in on the "I very much want an actual physical thing" train for memorabilia.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

It seems like it would be super trivial to keep rolls of blank tickets and have a machine at customer service that would just scan your QR and it prints out a commemorative ticket with your info on it for like $10. Leave it open for the game and post game and the team makes a little extra money on the special days.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A simple and easy way to make a trivial amount of money that’s mostly about fan service and not revenue growth?? Not interested!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my story is that i once tried to laminate a ticket I had for a no-hitter game but it was on some carbon paper which turned black and I was real sad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I framed my 2019 ASG tickets:

I remember the paperwork that came with them being very 'yes you can use these as your actual entry tickets but please don't. There are digital barcodes in the mlb ticket app. Use those. Please.'

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I think it's better now that everything runs through the MLB app, but a while back (pre-COVID) I bought tickets to a White Sox game from StubHub or SeatGeek or something secondary, and their gates weren't set up to scan mobile tickets unless they were from Ticketmaster. So if I had gotten the tickets from Ticketmaster, they could scan my phone (or printed), and if I printed this PDF from StubHub, they could scan that, but they couldn't scan the StubHub PDF on my phone. I was gonna have to walk to Kinko's on State in the rain to print them, but luckily we were wearing Orioles hats and a guy on his way in in an Orioles hat stopped and asked if we needed tickets. He had 4 from his work and couldn't find other people to go with. I tried to buy him a beer or something but he wouldn't have any of it. Thanks, guy.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Hopefully this is followed up with bringing back JV, Brantley, locking down Kyle Tucker long term, etc.

I kinda wonder if Yuli is gonna retire.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my story is that i once tried to laminate a ticket I had for a no-hitter game but it was on some carbon paper which turned black and I was real sad

Lmao that's brutal

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

If the Astros don't keep him then my guess is he retires.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d say Yuli retires or takes a cheap one year deal somewhere. I doubt he plays for Houston next season unless he’s dirt cheap and reasonably healthy.

If they pick up Mancini’s option you’ve already got a potential replacement.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

They’ll give you a printed out pdf ticket on an 8x11 sheet of office paper

This is the most un-American thing ever

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. Ushers should never give a poo poo about tickets unless someone needs help finding their seat or there’s a dispute/confusion about which person a particular seat belongs to.

Seems to vary by stadium, must be an owner thing.

I honestly feel like the 'Ticket?' thing is a prompt for a tip in some cases, and if you don't tip, you get 'Ticket?' until you give them one. They definitely don't give a poo poo if you're in the nosebleeds, but they do the seat wipedown and gestures if you're near the field.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wait, people tip ushers?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blind Pineapple posted:

Hopefully this is followed up with bringing back JV, Brantley, locking down Kyle Tucker long term, etc.

My guess: Brantley back on a one year deal, Yuli retires, JV opts out of his final year and they don't bring him back

Hopefully they go after someone like Bell or Rizzo or keep Mancini instead of seeing if they can do Jeremy Pena 2 Electric Boogaloo with Pedro Leon or something

Leon can be the Diaz replacement I guess. If I try dreaming I can dream of Abreu but I don't see that happening

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 8, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

Wait, people tip ushers?

I've gone to games with people who have season tickets behind home plate, and they do because they know the usher. They also tip the concession folks extra to make regular return trips.

I've never tipped, but I've also never paid more than... $130-ish per seat?

Edit: That's not true, I have tipped for amazing seats that were gifted.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1590092658135171072

gently caress you Cubs

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can someone explain how Rizzo is eligible for a QO? Isn't this his 2nd or 3rd MLB contract? I thought that only applied to your first contract after the arbitration years ran out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If Willie signs with the Cardinals, Hoyer should be arrested.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

If Willie signs with the Cardinals, Hoyer should be arrested.

What if that is the sacrifice needed for the Bears to have a better QB than the Packers? The universe needs balance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I mean is this not what everyone already knew? Contreras was going to free agency, doesn't mean the Cubs are out on him for sure. The QO at least gets them a draft pick.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I mean is this not what everyone already knew? Contreras was going to free agency, doesn't mean the Cubs are out on him for sure. The QO at least gets them a draft pick.

Just because it was expected doesn't mean I can't be mad about it. Cubs have no real answer at C without him and by all accounts Contreras wanted to stick around, but the Cubs never even attempted to negotiate an extension are now showing him the door over what, an extra loving second round pick? Who gives a poo poo? Open the wallet and lock up your loving AS franchise catcher.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Niwrad posted:

Can someone explain how Rizzo is eligible for a QO? Isn't this his 2nd or 3rd MLB contract? I thought that only applied to your first contract after the arbitration years ran out.

I thought it was just that you can only get one QO in your career, not that you had to get it at a specific point.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought it was just that you can only get one QO in your career, not that you had to get it at a specific point.

Yeah, that's right. You can only get a QO once and you have to be on the team roster for the entire season to be eligible. Rizzo couldn't receive a QO last year because he went to New York via trade, for example.

the QO is also going to be around until the end of the current CBA at least because of MLB and the players association missing the deadline on their international draft deal a few months ago

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Hey - y'all remember when the Astros won the world series?

That ruled.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I beg to differ, it really sucked

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

I beg to differ, it really sucked

Why would you take this bait

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Popete posted:

They should have traded him during the season for some prospects. Now they get barely anything

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TIL this exchange exists

https://twitter.com/Giancarlo818/status/268864757921099776

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Isn't it amazing?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrMidnight posted:

They should have traded him during the season for some prospects. Now they get barely anything

I thought they didn't trade him because they were hoping to keep him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I thought they didn't trade him because they were hoping to keep him

If that was the case they didn't do a very good job.