Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just worked out the setting for Filter Unknown Senders in Messages.
Great!
Now why doesn't the red notification bubble respect the setting!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Settings > Messages > Notifications > Customize Notifications > Allow Notifications (Unknown Senders toggle on/off)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I got a new iPhone 14 Pro Mac and I’m having a weird problem. Specifically, when I try to log in to Google accounts for calendaring or contacts, the web view just sits there trying and trying after I enter my username.

I’ve tried it on 2 wifis and cell network, and for both my personal and work (Okta-backed) accounts. Have also tried restarting the phone. OS is up to date (16.1). Tried deleting the accounts and adding them back fresh, also.

I’ve only had the damned thing for like 4 days now, so I don’t know how I could have broken it. Anyone have ideas?

Did you download any adblockers or anything on your phone? That’s usually where I look first for any funkiness like that.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

SlowBloke posted:

You can set up the third party headset as a car stereo so the safety isn't triggered. This trick doesn't work with native apple audio product obvs.

He said he’d tried that but it still lowered automatically. Whenever I see him next I’ll play with and see

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

For anyone who switched from being an Android user to iphone: are there things you missed/didn't have in the new phone that you wish you did?

One thing I don't like that was somewhat recently changed is that I always hate typing on friends iphones; the keyboard just feels so dead to me with no haptic feedback, though that is now an option in the settings (afaik). Is there anything else I should think about?

Also for more info I'm coming from an S10, looking at a standard iPhone (max too big, pro too expensive) and the last Apple product I owned and used often was... I think an ipad 2?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WarMECH posted:

Settings > Messages > Notifications > Customize Notifications > Allow Notifications (Unknown Senders toggle on/off)

Thanks very much for this, but I don't think this is quite what I want.
When a message comes in, I want the notification (especially since I can silence conversations.)
I can swipe it off the lock screen but it's still "unread" and there's still a red bubble over the app icon.

I think this setting will stop the notifications but keep the red bubble with the unread count?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

Did you download any adblockers or anything on your phone? That’s usually where I look first for any funkiness like that.

Not to my knowledge—where would I check?

I was able to log into two Google accounts (personal and work, which is Okta-backed) via another app, the Superhuman email client.

Going to try reinstalling and then I guess call support!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

floppyspud posted:

For anyone who switched from being an Android user to iphone: are there things you missed/didn't have in the new phone that you wish you did?

One thing I don't like that was somewhat recently changed is that I always hate typing on friends iphones; the keyboard just feels so dead to me with no haptic feedback, though that is now an option in the settings (afaik). Is there anything else I should think about?

Also for more info I'm coming from an S10, looking at a standard iPhone (max too big, pro too expensive) and the last Apple product I owned and used often was... I think an ipad 2?

1.) The SA app on Android is better imo in that it tries better to emulate the look of the website. Also, tapping an avatar expands it to large size and shows the custom text.

2.) Iirc haptic typing is off by default/is an accessibility thing? I don't remember, i always use swiping.

3.) I find the default iPhone (6.1", approx. 73-75mm wide) to be about the limit for one handed use after adding a case. It works for me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ll give an alternate opinion in that I actually vastly prefer using SA via the iOS/iPad app over the website and I actually even use the app on my Mac.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ll give an alternate opinion in that I actually vastly prefer using SA via the iOS/iPad app over the website and I actually even use the app on my Mac.

have you told the developers they forgot to lock it down from being improperly used on macos

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wrote this reply from my Mac via the Awful app.

Maybe I’m just getting old and prefer the app’s layout. Better get me a jitterbug flip phone for my next birthday.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

have you told the developers they forgot to lock it down from being improperly used on macos

I hope they never do because the forum doesn’t work properly via safari.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) The SA app on Android is better imo in that it tries better to emulate the look of the website. Also, tapping an avatar expands it to large size and shows the custom text.

2.) Iirc haptic typing is off by default/is an accessibility thing? I don't remember, i always use swiping.

3.) I find the default iPhone (6.1", approx. 73-75mm wide) to be about the limit for one handed use after adding a case. It works for me.

You just think having less choice with the size of a phone is one of the downsides? Ok, that's fair. Is there anything else? It looks pretty good from just those.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I hope they never do because the forum doesn’t work properly via safari.

I’ve never had an issue with it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve never had an issue with it

Do you have an AS based Mac? The issue only manifests itself on those apparently. Basically when you try and post there is massive input lag and letter appear like 20 seconds after you type them. Doesn’t happen on any other website, lots of people have reported it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Do you have an AS based Mac? The issue only manifests itself on those apparently. Basically when you try and post there is massive input lag and letter appear like 20 seconds after you type them. Doesn’t happen on any other website, lots of people have reported it.

Yeah I do. Maybe I’ve never noticed it :shrug:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

floppyspud posted:

You just think having less choice with the size of a phone is one of the downsides? Ok, that's fair. Is there anything else? It looks pretty good from just those.

I was just giving my experience with the default size, as the op said the max (and by extension the 14 Plus) was too big.

I can't remember what the size of the S10 was, 5.7"? Or was that the 10e?

The only other thing I'd want is the Pro's zoom lens for wildlife photography, but i don't consider it worth the price hike to go from the 14 to the 14 Pro.
I don't miss the three button navigation Android had, and the third party apps seem at least as good as their counterparts. Face ID rules and i never want to go back, and the battery life is great if you go dark mode all the time.

YouTube Premium > Apple music if for no reason than getting rid of YouTube ads.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 9, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crossposting from YLLS since this thread might be better equipped to answer.

I. M. Gei posted:

Is anyone else suddenly having problems putting their numbers into Google Sheets?

I'm clicking the squares and it's only letting me type comments. It's not letting me put numbers or contents in the actual squares. :wtc:

I'm on iPhone/iOS if that helps.

The problem is happening on iPad too. Google Sheets app is suddenly not letting me edit the contents of spreadsheets. It lets me post comments and that's it. What the gently caress?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Google loves to break random poo poo OP

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Mister Facetious posted:

I was just giving my experience with the default size, as the op said the max (and by extension the 14 Plus) was too big.

I can't remember what the size of the S10 was, 5.7"? Or was that the 10e?

The only other thing I'd want is the Pro's zoom lens for wildlife photography, but i don't consider it worth the price hike to go from the 14 to the 14 Pro.
I don't miss the three button navigation Android had, and the third party apps seem at least as good as their counterparts. Face ID rules and i never want to go back, and the battery life is great if you go dark mode all the time.

YouTube Premium > Apple music if for no reason than getting rid of YouTube ads.

S10 is 6.1" with the curved edges, I wouldn't go any larger than this, they all feel clunky and just look ridiculous to me. though maybe some people like the extra screen space. I've never really had much experience with modern ios, but yeah I think the navigation seems interesting and there seems to be a lot of cool stuff they add from the few mkbhd videos I've watched. Very different but very similar, I guess that's what happens when every company copies each other equally lol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

I wrote this reply from my Mac via the Awful app.

Maybe I’m just getting old and prefer the app’s layout. Better get me a jitterbug flip phone for my next birthday.

Fun fact: the Jitterbug brand name is retired or semi retired. They’re trying to re brand as Lively. I guess as in "this phone will keep you alive….ly "

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

floppyspud posted:

S10 is 6.1" with the curved edges, I wouldn't go any larger than this, they all feel clunky and just look ridiculous to me. though maybe some people like the extra screen space. I've never really had much experience with modern ios, but yeah I think the navigation seems interesting and there seems to be a lot of cool stuff they add from the few mkbhd videos I've watched. Very different but very similar, I guess that's what happens when every company copies each other equally lol.

The iPhone 13 mini is excellent and the upgrades on the 14 are extremely marginal. The screen on the mini is around the same size as older plus sized phones like the 8 plus. It rules and is perfect.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

The iPhone 13 mini is excellent and the upgrades on the 14 are extremely marginal. The screen on the mini is around the same size as older plus sized phones like the 8 plus. It rules and is perfect.
Yeah I upgraded from a 2nd gen SE to a 13 mini the other day and it’s really nice. Thank gently caress they saw sense and went back to flat sides, the rounded edge phones were slippery like wet soap. Really hope they use this chassis for future SE models, the regular mainline iPhones are colossal now.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Mister Facetious posted:

2 naproxen + 2 melatonin. Works for me. v:geno:v

tried this last night and it didn't work, now i feel dead. fffuuuuuu

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

heehee posted:

tried this last night and it didn't work, now i feel dead. fffuuuuuu

It's for going to sleep, not waking up. You want Monster Energy for that.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

After about a week with the 14 PM I’m honestly extremely impressed with how much I love it coming from a mini.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I love my 13 mini, perfect phone imo. As for coming from android the thing I really miss is the easy way to dismiss and upcoming alarm but that’s just because my body is weird and typically wakes me up before my alarm in the morning.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MarcusSA posted:

Google loves to break random poo poo OP

What's a good thread to take this question to? Does HoTS answer app questions?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

CFox posted:

I love my 13 mini, perfect phone imo. As for coming from android the thing I really miss is the easy way to dismiss and upcoming alarm but that’s just because my body is weird and typically wakes me up before my alarm in the morning.

Set your alarm through the sleep schedule in Health and it becomes easy to do this.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

CFox posted:

Is the battery life very different from a standard? Everything else is the same, right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Battery life is considerably less, but it still lasts a full day with regular use and honestly with fast charging now I can’t imagine it really being a deciding factor for me. If I’m at 14% I’ll just plug it in for 5 minutes and get another 4 hours out of it.

Might buy another one next year when they’re on clearance cause it really is the perfect size phone.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

The only problem with minis is... well there wasn't a mini 14, right? Are they planning on making them anymore? 1 every 2 or 3 generations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

floppyspud posted:

The only problem with minis is... well there wasn't a mini 14, right? Are they planning on making them anymore? 1 every 2 or 3 generations?

Mini is probably dead for future years unfortunately. It had terrible sales.

The only caveat is if they use the Mini as an update for the SE , which holy hell I hope they do.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A bit surprised my launch date mini 12 popped a “service battery” warning at 88% maximum capacity.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Duckman2008 posted:

Mini is probably dead for future years unfortunately. It had terrible sales.

The only caveat is if they use the Mini as an update for the SE , which holy hell I hope they do.

Rip... seemed like a great option for people who didn't want the ever growing phones of today, whilst also being a bit cheaper. I guess the good news is that the processors are so good and cameras so powerful that until the 13s stop getting iOS updates it will still be a very good option, right? Unless of course you want the cutting edge hardware, in which case you were never in it's target audience anyways.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

floppyspud posted:

I mean considering the functional differences between the regular 13 and 14, a 13 mini is still right up there in capabilities. You're just missing a tweaked camera, satellite and crash stuff right?

Mini lovers still have a chance to come back from behind with surprise sales numbers!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

floppyspud posted:

Yeah there's no mini 14, but the 13 and 13 mini have identical specs, and the differences between the 13 and 14 are the most marginalI think I've ever seen in an iPhone. Specs are the same, save for the 14 having crash detection and future capability for satellite calling, and a better camera that you probably won't notice unless you're an actor in an iPhone commercial pretending that your iphone is a DLSR camera or that you're shooting a real film on your iPhone.

Battery is the only obvious difference, although the mini does last a full day (usual caveats - not being glued to your phone/running intensive games/gps apps/etc all day), which puts it on par with other flagship phones of its generation like the Pixel 6.

floppyspud posted:

Unless of course you want the cutting edge hardware, in which case you were never in it's target audience anyways.

I mean considering it's the exact same as an iPhone 13 but in a smaller package, it's arguably the most cutting edge hardware :colbert:

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 10, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m officially old and don’t know how to use my phone. How do I add a Note or some other arbitrary block of text to my Lock Screen? Not the Today View or the Home Screen, I mean. It doesn’t look like Notes is an option for lock screen widgets.

I’m basically trying to decorate my Lock Screen with about a paragraph of text, visible to me every time I try to unlock my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Take a screenshot of the text and set it as your lock screen wallpaper.