Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chamale posted:

An 87-year-old judge writing about Something Awful's moderation policies is one of the funnier moments in the site's history.

That judge is actually only 62 but it's still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Anatoly Karpov has been seriously injured, apparently in a fall -- he has a fractured skull and is in an induced coma.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/breaking-news-anatoly-karpov-in-hospital-after-incident

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I think this might be the first time that chess.com gave me a brilliancy and I actually meant to do it :q:

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Has anyone been watching the Chess.com Global Championship? Surprisingly good, real grandmaster-level chess mixed with weird moments like Duda playing the Bongcloud against Hikaru in a rated event??

The actual action goes above my head sometimes but Robert Hess is cool and explains things pretty well so I can sit there pretending to understand what's happening.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I'm not sure if I've seen this exact same tactic in an Eric Rosen video but it seems like a thing that he would do. Oh no my queen.

A Passing Feeling posted:

Has anyone been watching the Chess.com Global Championship? Surprisingly good, real grandmaster-level chess mixed with weird moments like Duda playing the Bongcloud against Hikaru in a rated event??

The actual action goes above my head sometimes but Robert Hess is cool and explains things pretty well so I can sit there pretending to understand what's happening.

I haven't been watch this event much but I do agree that Hess is a fantastic commentator. In general I find super-GM rapid much more enjoyable to watch than super-GM blitz.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Obfuscation posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen this exact same tactic in an Eric Rosen video but it seems like a thing that he would do. Oh no my queen.

Care to explain to those of us in the cheap seats?

Best I can figure is: black captures queen, knight to F7 (king can't capture because of C4 bishop) but I don't know what happens profitably from there. For the record, I know the rules of the game, but otherwise know basically nothing about chess strategy.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
What happens when you move the knight? What piece are you opening up?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Magnetic North posted:

Care to explain to those of us in the cheap seats?

Best I can figure is: black captures queen, knight to F7 (king can't capture because of C4 bishop) but I don't know what happens profitably from there. For the record, I know the rules of the game, but otherwise know basically nothing about chess strategy.

There's an elementary pattern here that you're more likely to be familiar with from 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 Nxe4 4.Qe2 Ng6.

When you play Nxc6 this doesn't only create a discovered check along the e-file, and it doesn't only create a double attack with the knight attacking the queen. Also, importantly, your knight, now on c6, covers e7 meaning that black can't play Qe7 to block the check (and, in this case, get your rook in return for their queen). The end result is that white ends up picking up extra material. In this basic sample line it's an extra piece: 1...Bxd1 2.Nxc6+ Be7 3.Nxd8 Rxd8 4.Rxd1.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have no one in my life who follows chess, so i'll just tell this thread that i'm enjoying levy and danya as a rapid commentator duo

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Obfuscation posted:

I haven't been watch this event much but I do agree that Hess is a fantastic commentator. In general I find super-GM rapid much more enjoyable to watch than super-GM blitz.

Yeah, I get that. IMO Rapid leaves just enough time to get to grips with the positions/tactics (with the help of someone like Hess)... Blitz is impressive but I won't pretend to understand it beyond ''hehe hikaru click fast'' or seeing some massive blunder under time pressure.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have no one in my life who follows chess, so i'll just tell this thread that i'm enjoying levy and danya as a rapid commentator duo

Yes!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Obfuscation posted:

Are you preloading a move here? How is it white's move when the rook has the king in check?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ilmucche posted:

Are you preloading a move here? How is it white's move when the rook has the king in check?

Took a pawn, pretty clearly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

silvergoose posted:

Took a pawn, pretty clearly.

Oh gently caress, yeah that makes sense. Welp

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Off topic but you folks seem like the ones to know : is there a shogi thread or anybody around here who plays shogi? I'm thinking about getting into it beyond the knows-the-rules level of play, and cool goon friends would be cool.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

There's an elementary pattern here that you're more likely to be familiar with from 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 Nxe4 4.Qe2 Ng6.

When you play Nxc6 this doesn't only create a discovered check along the e-file, and it doesn't only create a double attack with the knight attacking the queen. Also, importantly, your knight, now on c6, covers e7 meaning that black can't play Qe7 to block the check (and, in this case, get your rook in return for their queen). The end result is that white ends up picking up extra material. In this basic sample line it's an extra piece: 1...Bxd1 2.Nxc6+ Be7 3.Nxd8 Rxd8 4.Rxd1.

Again, forgive my ignorance but if white moves their knight to C6, why doesn't the black pawn at B7 just capture the knight? I think I remember hearing someone talking about having those pawns there for reasons, but I don't remember any specifics.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Again, forgive my ignorance but if white moves their knight to C6, why doesn't the black pawn at B7 just capture the knight? I think I remember hearing someone talking about having those pawns there for reasons, but I don't remember any specifics.
because the king is in check now - black either has to move the king or put a piece between white's rook on e1 and black's king on e8. no matter what black does, white's coming out of the exchange with a material advantage

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

because the king is in check now - black either has to move the king or put a piece between white's rook on e1 and black's king on e8. no matter what black does, white's coming out of the exchange with a material advantage

OH It's in check from the loving Rook at E1. Told ya I was bad at this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Xiahou Dun posted:

Off topic but you folks seem like the ones to know : is there a shogi thread or anybody around here who plays shogi? I'm thinking about getting into it beyond the knows-the-rules level of play, and cool goon friends would be cool.

Any time I want to post about shogi or xiangqi I do it here, so I'd say not off topic at all!

I love shogi. Don't play a huge amount, but I probably got up past beginner skill at one point.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

There's a reasonably active chess goons Discord if you're wanting to shoot the breeze or play dailies against goonfriends

e: invite link https://discord.gg/hqsRZs4MVh

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 7, 2022

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

12% pass rate

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'd like to know more about shogi, a shogi thread would be cool if you wanted to throw one up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I read the wikipedia article on shogi, and it was really good! My favorite bit is that the bishop equivalent has a name which translates literally to "angle-mover" and that's a great name.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Salt Fish posted:

I read the wikipedia article on shogi, and it was really good! My favorite bit is that the bishop equivalent has a name which translates literally to "angle-mover" and that's a great name.

I’m a big fan of the rook being FLYING CHARIOT. Especially because “fly” is a hilariously rad character : 飛

Look at that swoopy boy.

(I’m working on a thread and will cross post because it seems like there’s interest)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

former glory posted:

12% pass rate

Qxh4?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I think so and I think the trap option is Rxh4.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Yep. In my rush to nail the time goal, I did Rxh4 and completely ignored the line where they just don't take.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

former glory posted:

Yep. In my rush to nail the time goal, I did Rxh4 and completely ignored the line where they just don't take.

Finish the line. Exactly how does white survive after Rxh4?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Rest of line:

23... Rxh4+
24. Kg2 Qf5
25. Rh1 Rxh1
26. Kxh1 Rh8+
27. Kg1 Kb8
28. d3

White defuses and black's attack dies with the Qf5 need.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Mode 7 posted:

I'd like to know more about shogi, a shogi thread would be cool if you wanted to throw one up

silvergoose posted:

Any time I want to post about shogi or xiangqi I do it here, so I'd say not off topic at all!

I love shogi. Don't play a huge amount, but I probably got up past beginner skill at one point.

I present you a shogi thread.

I have no idea what to put into the OP of a shogi thread and have no resources so I basically just made a big rear end effort post that teaches the rules and I tried to give some help in learning the characters so people are less afraid of that.

O god, this is why I never post threads. That took forever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Xiahou Dun posted:

I present you a shogi thread.

I have no idea what to put into the OP of a shogi thread and have no resources so I basically just made a big rear end effort post that teaches the rules and I tried to give some help in learning the characters so people are less afraid of that.

O god, this is why I never post threads. That took forever.

lol :owned:

(congrats, heading to read the post now)

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Are computer chess boards still a thing?

My father wants to start playing chess again in his retirement, and asked me to look into finding one for him (he doesn't want to play on a screen, so online is out).

The only options seem to be €500-€1000 for DGTs, which look way overkill, or random no-name brands on Amazon for €50-€100. Any recommendations? Older brands on Ebay?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

rollick posted:

Are computer chess boards still a thing?

how do opponent moves work on those things?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jiggerypokery posted:

Dunno about now but the one I saw when I was a kid indicated the computer moves by lighting LEDs at the edges of the board to give coordinates.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

Yeah the computer tells you its moves either on a little LCD screen or by lighting up the origin and target squares. Then you make the move for it. The fanciest ones move automatically now, I think. When it's your turn it detects the move by weight or by a hard press.

I found this buying guide which looks pretty useful. Maybe a midrange Millennium would be the way to go.

https://www.chesshouse.com/pages/comparison-guide-for-electronic-chess-computers

edit: actually the DGT Centaur looks like the ideal option, except for the price. I might club together with some other family members as a gift. Or start with a Millennium to gauge the actual interest, then upgrade later.

rollick fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 10, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

OH It's in check from the loving Rook at E1. Told ya I was bad at this.

it's okay, discovered checks are impossible to see, and nobody has ever found one in a real game

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
there exist boards whose pieces move automatically via magnets below the board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCwi6L8pHI

Mantle
May 15, 2004

kumba posted:

Is this new tech? I swear I've seen this around since the 90s. Maybe the new thing is that it's affordable?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
how do knights not knock pieces over when they move through them

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

how do knights not knock pieces over when they move through them

the other pieces move out of the way or it squeezes between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

kumba posted:

This is cool tech but the ad is so frustrating -- I just want to see the drat pieces move, and there's too much "Chess: a game with a thousand year history..." poo poo to wade through