Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

yeah and the dude got aquitted when he fired back because he thought they were firing on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Everyone is still fuming that black people said :supaburn:a bad slogan:supaburn: two years after the people who said it were literally and figuratively beaten down. Meanwhile, it seems people in cities where the police were going full pig mode launching teargas at houses forgot about that while it was still happening. It makes me feel hopeless.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Not even a bad slogan. It was a very good one because it freaked people the gently caress out.

Problem is the US is a police state.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BUaaDZsaM

Holy crap I hadn't heard about this case. Add another to the pile I guess. At least this guy lost his job and looks to be facing some charges and doesn't appear to be getting propped up by his department or union. What an egregious case (video of the incident is in the news clip).

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BUaaDZsaM

Holy crap I hadn't heard about this case. Add another to the pile I guess. At least this guy lost his job and looks to be facing some charges and doesn't appear to be getting propped up by his department or union. What an egregious case (video of the incident is in the news clip).

God pigs are such cowards! "shots fired shots fired!" yeah by you, you giant floppy loving dildo!

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

https://www.abqjournal.com/2533971/apd-releases-video-of-police-fatally-shooting-man-at-gas-station.html

Another one. Its amazing that 2nd ammendment doesnt apply to brown people. He had given them the magazine and was told to get his phone.

also here is an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOkmOqnteU

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 2, 2022

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The copbusters stuff was a blast to watch. I remember seeing it as a kid with my parents and them saying the police who broke the law got no punishments at all, and the person who proved they were breaking the law had to leave the country after he was arrested for bullshit for the 100th time. One of hundreds of data points that formed my young worldview.

There was a recent video of a cop shooting at an empty car because he got scared (his partner told him to move because a light was going to fall on his car due to a car accident) which meant to unload at the car that had crashed into the pole. It was ruled a good shoot!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Moving conversation over from the midterms thread.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m also not convinced the bullets that lit up [Cori Bush's] car in January didn’t come from a cop’s gun but I admittedly can’t substantiate that.

Kalit posted:

:allears: Why did they go through the hassle of tracking down Bush’s car just to shoot bullets at it while it was empty? Especially since you think they are bold enough to plot ahead to execute a number of activists?

Because assassinating a sitting congressperson would bring a lot more heat than just trying to intimidate one, presumably.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh you think it might have been a cop? Name every cop.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
NYPD doxxed the former mayor's daughter while he was mayor and made implied threats so there is that

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also I forgot that this past January was actually the second time Cori Bush's car got shot up in as many years, make of that what you will.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also you know what happened to MLK and Malcom X, right?

Also all those cops who try to whistleblow and mysteriously get brutally beaten to death in 'training accidents' or forcibly institutionalised, which the police then issue challenge coins in celebration of.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also you know what happened to MLK and Malcom X, right?

Also all those cops who try to whistleblow and mysteriously get brutally beaten to death in 'training accidents' or forcibly institutionalised, which the police then issue challenge coins in celebration of.

You forgot Fred Hampton....I mean that was FBI but still. Also, the fact that the louisville police are under investigation for sex crimes as well as tampering with evidence in which they have taken drugs and planted drugs.

I also posted a video about a girl that they planted drugs on....it was the wrong person and they were supposed to plant drugs on someone else.

This is also not to mention all the minor abuses of power that play out everyday during minor traffic stops in which they violate people's fourth ammendment rights.

this video particularly pisses me off in how they treated this guy. Chances are they would have made this disapear before we made them wear body cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qU_7B4UY10

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 4, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1590020935138316289?t=WEJxJSiEVnZx3HGDFS7tQg&s=19

There is no fixing this

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nahh, you can fix it. You add consequences. The people who control this won't, so the fixes are stymied. Saying you can't fix it lets the people who could do something off the hook.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I guess that raises the larger question of "why aren't there consequences?"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LorneReams posted:

Nahh, you can fix it. You add consequences. The people who control this won't, so the fixes are stymied. Saying you can't fix it lets the people who could do something off the hook.

No, it speaks to the fact that there isn't a way to fix this by adding consequences because the people control this won't. When people say "you can't fix this" they don't mean that it's impossible to fix if things were different, they're saying that making things different isn't viable while maintaining the current institution.

The people who control it won't fix it because of the current institution.

Yes if things were fixable, then we could fix this. Thanks for that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jaxyon posted:

No, it speaks to the fact that there isn't a way to fix this by adding consequences because the people control this won't. When people say "you can't fix this" they don't mean that it's impossible to fix if things were different, they're saying that making things different isn't viable while maintaining the current institution.

The people who control it won't fix it because of the current institution.

Yes if things were fixable, then we could fix this. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I don't mean to be flippant, it's just I see a lot of hand wrangling with "there are no solutions!" by people who could fix it mirroring other people saying the same thing.

Legislatively ending qualified immunity, creating federal offices who only job (and performance rated) is to prosecute police, creating specific additional statutes for police behaviors with consequences for breaking them instead of some "policy" with no teeth outside of maybe losing a job.

It really needs to start Federal, push to State, and have local convents flow from there. Right now there are twom many sherrifs who run their own fiefdoms and that is something that can be fixed. I mean Colorado is ending qualified immunity, it needs to be pushed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, I don't mean to be flippant, it's just I see a lot of hand wrangling with "there are no solutions!" by people who could fix it mirroring other people saying the same thing.

Legislatively ending qualified immunity, creating federal offices who only job (and performance rated) is to prosecute police, creating specific additional statutes for police behaviors with consequences for breaking them instead of some "policy" with no teeth outside of maybe losing a job.

It really needs to start Federal, push to State, and have local convents flow from there. Right now there are twom many sherrifs who run their own fiefdoms and that is something that can be fixed. I mean Colorado is ending qualified immunity, it needs to be pushed.

There are solutions, they are not viable under the current institution.

The current extremely corrupt and fascist sheriff of LA literally ran as a reformer, who did exactly the opposite in office and used his power to harass investigate his oversight.

If you try and get your fellow officers to be held accountable to the consequences that already exist, you will be murdered in a "training accident".

If you run on a platform of consequences, police will actively use scare tactics against you and harass your family.

Any reform you can think of has been attempted and blocked or defanged over the course of decades, because the institution is set up to block any real reform.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The biggest problem I see is that both parties are bootlickers when it comes to the cops. They both want to add more money to the police when the reality is we have consistently added more money to the police and it has not effected the clearance rate of most crimes. It has led to the occupation of plenty of neighborhoods of black and brown people as well as the militarization of the police. We have also created SWAT teams that were originally only meant for hostage situations but now are used for simple drug warrants that many times are fraudulent.

At the end of the day the only way to change this is the citizens holding them accountable by filming, doxxing, shaming, and confronting. If you see a corrupt cop out, you boo the gently caress out of them. If you see a cop pulling someone over and you are on foot, stop and film the interaction. If you are dealing with cops film and exercise every one of your rights and if they give you trouble sue the department.

What is necessary is citizen oversight boards. Allowing police departments to investigate themselves as well as allowing prosecutors that often have ties to police departments choose whether they indict is just an exercise in futility in any accountability.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ManBoyChef posted:

What is necessary is citizen oversight boards. Allowing police departments to investigate themselves as well as allowing prosecutors that often have ties to police departments choose whether they indict is just an exercise in futility in any accountability.

We have one in LA and the sheriff opened up an investigation against them.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Jaxyon posted:

We have one in LA and the sheriff opened up an investigation against them.

I remember reading about that. They literally impounded her car and her computer and whatnot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the police are literally an occupying army for all intents and purposes. That's how they see themselves, that's how they're trained, that's how they operate, and any attempt at oversight is seen as enemy action to be violently suppressed.

You cannot reform this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ManBoyChef posted:

I remember reading about that. They literally impounded her car and her computer and whatnot.

It was multiple people, it's a council.

Fucker is likely to lose his election tonight though.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The fact that they use our tax dollars to pay for a seminar called killology is a pretty good indicator of how bad poo poo has gotten.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My father firmly believes that the phrase "defund the police" was invented by Republicans to make Democratic candidates look Soft On Crime, and I don't know how to respond.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
LAPD murdered cousin of Patrice Cullors at a traffic accident by eletrocuting him to death.

"They're trying to George Floyd me!" he said, as they were George Floyd-ing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/11/black-lives-matter-co-founder-cousin-killed-los-angeles-police

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

LAPD murdered cousin of Patrice Cullors at a traffic accident by eletrocuting him to death.

"They're trying to George Floyd me!" he said, as they were George Floyd-ing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/11/black-lives-matter-co-founder-cousin-killed-los-angeles-police

Ugh. The bootlicker-o-sphere is already spinning the "good shoot" narrative because he was "acting erratically" after he had "caused an accident". Almost as if...your brain can be injured in an car crash. Not to mention that his fear of the officers who started hunting him after he "fled" was extraordinarily justified. But of course, his death wasn't because they tased him multiple times and assaulted him, he died of "unrelated complications" in the hospital.

There is no defunding this, there is no fixing this. Anything short of a modern Nuremburg for every single one of these thugs-in-blue is a worthless half-measure.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Bumping this thread for the Tyre Nichols murder video. Because gently caress The Police.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/us/what-we-know-tyre-nichols-death/index.html

Please don't link images of video here without warnings and spoilering them.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
I can't find a news website with a detailed description of the Tyre Nichols murder video that doesn't also have images or video.

The closest I've found to a text only description is the post from the Bad_Cop_No_Donut Reddit that a person in the USCE thread linked. I'm copying that link here in this thread, for future reference.

I'm putting the Reddit link behind spoiler tags because even though it's a text description post, there is a tiny embedded video in the upper right corner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/comments/10n0hv7/comment/j66c5y7/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I'm not going to watch the video of Tyre Nichols' murder. I know I can't take it. Reading the text description was the limit of what I can take.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Man, his life was over as soon as he stopped the car.

Not remotely the most important thing here, but my god the cops here are so unprofessional, disorganized, and out of shape. Every one of them is heaving after two minutes. And they pepper sprayed themselves multiple times.

Victar posted:

I can't find a news website with a detailed description of the Tyre Nichols murder video that doesn't also have images or video.

This twitter thread explained it succinctly

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1619127848253681664

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

T Zero posted:

Not remotely the most important thing here, but my god the cops here are so unprofessional, disorganized, and out of shape. Every one of them is heaving after two minutes. And they pepper sprayed themselves multiple times.

This is what happens when you're held to literally no standards.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

T Zero posted:

I have to wonder when we reach the tipping point that standard advice of "do not talk to cops, because they will always use your words against you" turns into "do not stop for cops, because they will always try to kill you anyway".

Edit: I never before thought that I would seriously picture that happening, but now I'm seriously picturing it happening.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 28, 2023

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Roadie posted:

I have to wonder when we reach the tipping point that standard advice of "do not talk to cops, because they will always use your words against you" turns into "do not stop for cops, because they will always try to kill you anyway".

Edit: I never before thought that I would seriously picture that happening, but now I'm seriously picturing it happening.

If you run, they will chase you down, beat you to death, and blame your bad driving for the accident that kills you to cover up their culpability for your murder.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/20/us/ronald-greene-video-louisiana-police-death/index.html

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Victar posted:

The closest I've found to a text only description is the post from the Bad_Cop_No_Donut Reddit that a person in the USCE thread linked. I'm copying that link here in this thread, for future reference.

I'm putting the Reddit link behind spoiler tags because even though it's a text description post, there is a tiny embedded video in the upper right corner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/comments/10n0hv7/comment/j66c5y7/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I'm not going to watch the video of Tyre Nichols' murder. I know I can't take it. Reading the text description was the limit of what I can take.

Thank you so much, this is why I came here. I could not find a loving description of what happened online, after several sites, and everybody has just posted the video that I don't want to see.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
White cops involved in this incident status: Mysteriously uncharged.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Jaxyon posted:

White cops involved in this incident status: Mysteriously uncharged.

That's why they moved so fast on this. If they were white it would have been a different story. I'm just guessing, but there is a pattern of this sort of thing happening where coloured cops are treated worse than white cops.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

That's why they moved so fast on this. If they were white it would have been a different story. I'm just guessing, but there is a pattern of this sort of thing happening where coloured cops are treated worse than white cops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Justine_Damond is a great example. Pretty blonde white lady gets blapped and dude gets reamed.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Justine_Damond is a great example. Pretty blonde white lady gets blapped and dude gets reamed.

3 years for randomly murdering a citizen isn't getting reamed. Reprimanded almost works here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bel Shazar posted:

3 years for randomly murdering a citizen isn't getting reamed. Reprimanded almost works here.

Not only that, but it was killing an unarmed white person in a rich neighborhood who was the one who called 911. I feel like any cop would have got charged in that situation, regardless of the cop's skin color