Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

while I also think this is hilariously dumb, I am also watching a stream of fantasmic because it's my favorite and I am so glad it's back.

Oh I am watching a replay of a stream and it's DELIGHTFUL and looks so good. The new lighting effects are perfect and the new segment is really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually saw it tonight. It looks great! There are lots of tech enhancements and tweaks all around. For instance, before the stage would go dark during most of the water screen moments, but now they are all enhanced with lighting and fountains.

My only real issues are that the five(!)-ish scenes that replaced the Pocahontas scene are really empty with one or two performers on the entire massive stage. It makes sense for Elsa and Moana's segments, but not for Mulan and Aladdin. Mulan has just two performers on stage when it should have been the whole troop, and Aladdin's segment has him plus four or five henchmen, but even that feels skimpy. The original Pocahontas segment was odd but there were a lot of performers on stage and a lot going on which made it feel grand. My other complaint is that they reduced the pyro for the finale significantly, though this could be due to supply chain issues.

It's funny because Fantasmic used to be my least favorite of the WDW night time shows when IllumiNations and Wishes/Happily Ever After were a thing, but now it is by far my favorite compared to the modern shows. It's so refreshing to watch a show that has actual emotional impact again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Good news: I'll be in Anaheim tomorrow for my DLR trip.

Bad news: Rain Monday and Tuesday. Does anyone know if the rain typically has a big impact on crowd sizes? My logic is that the locals won't bother going in the rain since they can go 'anytime.'

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

When I went in March it downpoured for several hours straight and the crowds didn’t thin out at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How’s the Lightning Lane for Rise of the Resistance at DLR? Does it fill up within seconds like at WDW? I’m debating if I should rope drop it tomorrow or pay up for LL.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hey guys I had a few too many at trader Sam’s and I can barely walk back to my hotel and Lmaoooooo at the check.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey guys I had a few too many at trader Sam’s and I can barely walk back to my hotel and Lmaoooooo at the check.
Please don't look at your check after Trader Sam's

or really anywhere in Disney. Just remember the good times.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I just got back from Japan and holy poo poo is Universal Studios Osaka just a hot mess of a park. I should have prepared more, I know, but I had no idea how bad the lines would get. Apparently I went around a major public holiday, but the lines were insane and their version of fast passes had been sold out for that day for weeks. Park open was 8am, but apparently they just started letting folks in around 7:15am. As I was packing up in my hotel room, I checked the app to see what the height requirement was for one of the Mario World rides and I noticed it already had a 90 minute wait. That seemed odd for a park that wasn't supposed to be open for another 45 minutes, but I figured maybe it was hotel guests or something. Nope, they just opened the gates almost an hour early for *reasons* so us rushing to the park at opening wasn't even a good idea and all the rides had epic waits by the time the park officially opened.

They lock up Super Mario World and you have to get a timed entry pass to enter, unless you get there first thing before the park hits capacity. Which it did before the park officially opened because they let folks in so early. And then the link in the app was broken to request a timed entry pass, so you had to wait in an 1+ hour line to get to a machine to scan your ticket's QR code to get a return time for the Super Mario area. It was making my head spin, so many lines and so many arbitrary rules and so many people. I cannot fathom how crazy that place will be when the real big wave of tourists returns to the country.

The rides we did get on were ok, we caught the end of the Halloween fright fest stuff (it's not a separate ticket, the zombies just come out after dark and there are "safe" routes you can take to avoid them at night) and if the crowds were 1/3 in size I could see having a pleasant visit. But everything had epic wait times, even the popcorn carts, so we bailed about halfway through the day. They do have single-rider lines, but they are rarely advertised and hard to find - I'm looking at you, Harry Potter ride. If you ever plan to visit, buy the biggest most expensive premium ride pass you can afford. I would have loved to try any of the roller coasters or special rides, but even the single rider lines were 120+ minutes.

I will never complain about the lines at Disneyland again.

edit: the park sells a 1 1/2 day ticket, so you can show up after 3pm on one day and then at park open the next. We took the train down from Tokyo on a Thursday morning and we were in the park in the early evening to experience the fright fest stuff and get a general feel of the park. That was when we rode the bulk of the rides, right before park close. It wasn't until the harsh light of the next morning did we understand how good we had it the night before.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 7, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

VorpalBunny posted:

They lock up Super Mario World and you have to get a timed entry pass to enter, unless you get there first thing before the park hits capacity. Which it did before the park officially opened because they let folks in so early. And then the link in the app was broken to request a timed entry pass, so you had to wait in an 1+ hour line to get to a machine to scan your ticket's QR code to get a return time for the Super Mario area. It was making my head spin, so many lines and so many arbitrary rules and so many people. I cannot fathom how crazy that place will be when the real big wave of tourists returns to the country.

This is honestly what has me skeptical about the Orlando Mario world area. The only way to make that area of the park worth a drat is to control how many people are in there which means this is gonna turn into a mad rush for that area in the morning or, potentially worse, the god awful virtual 7am virtual queue lottery of early days of RotR

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Maybe the rest of the park will be equally awesome and that'll fix it?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am 60 days out from my wdw trip and I have a few questions:
It’s my first time staying off-property so I won’t have a magic band. What do I use to get in the park? I assume I’ll use my phone?
Also, I was unable to secure a reservation for oga’s cantina. Am I out of luck?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

remigious posted:

It’s my first time staying off-property so I won’t have a magic band. What do I use to get in the park? I assume I’ll use my phone?

You can use your phone, or if you have one a previous magic band still linked to your account that will work. If you want a new MB you can buy one as well. I think they still do the physical card/ticket but your phone will suffice. Bring a portable battery pack, the WDW app chews through battery since it uses GPS a ton.

You can keep trying/refreshing for a Oga's reservation. I usually try twice a day around 10am and 4pm for reservations if I didn't get them 60 days out. Some folks have luck same day as well.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

skipdogg posted:

You can use your phone, or if you have one a previous magic band still linked to your account that will work. If you want a new MB you can buy one as well. I think they still do the physical card/ticket but your phone will suffice. Bring a portable battery pack, the WDW app chews through battery since it uses GPS a ton.

You can keep trying/refreshing for a Oga's reservation. I usually try twice a day around 10am and 4pm for reservations if I didn't get them 60 days out. Some folks have luck same day as well.

Thank you for the tips! I’ll keep checking for a reservation :)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You can also walk up and ask if there's any room for walk up. We have had luck with that in the past.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FYI Apple Watch can also be used for your ticket now. And it works without needing to pull anything up (after you add it to your wallet from the app). Just touch your watch to the Mickey same as if you have a magic band.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

remigious posted:

I just got back from a trip last week and there were ogas slots available almost every day we were there. Tons opened up the week before and we even booked a same day after deciding to do it last minute. Maybe lucky but doesn't seem as impossible anymore like other reservations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Paul Proteus posted:

I just got back from a trip last week and there were ogas slots available almost every day we were there. Tons opened up the week before and we even booked a same day after deciding to do it last minute. Maybe lucky but doesn't seem as impossible anymore like other reservations.

Oh cool, that is reassuring! It’s like the one thing my girl friends really want to do and I was placed in charge of getting us in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, even if the slots are full try walk up and if it's not available at the moment they'll tell you when to check again

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Orlando international airport is closing tomorrow at 4pm.

No word on park closures yet.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
No new park reservations or activity/ dining res allowed for wed / thurs

It’s my bday week and I’ve been down there this time the last two years. Kind of happy I’m home this week.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

This is honestly what has me skeptical about the Orlando Mario world area. The only way to make that area of the park worth a drat is to control how many people are in there which means this is gonna turn into a mad rush for that area in the morning or, potentially worse, the god awful virtual 7am virtual queue lottery of early days of RotR

From some of the rumors I’ve read about EU, one of the main reasons they went for a hub-and-spoke model for the park layout is so that they can close off individual lands for capacity management/private parties/etc. I’m pretty interested to see how it works out, and I’m guessing that the ticketing process for the Nintendo attractions in Japan and Hollywood is their beta test.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Coasterphreak posted:

From some of the rumors I’ve read about EU, one of the main reasons they went for a hub-and-spoke model for the park layout is so that they can close off individual lands for capacity management/private parties/etc. I’m pretty interested to see how it works out, and I’m guessing that the ticketing process for the Nintendo attractions in Japan and Hollywood is their beta test.

I think the only thing more annoying than having a park ticket for Disney but unable to enter due to reservation system would be getting let into a park but being told a whole section(s) of it are not available due to capacity.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

I think the only thing more annoying than having a park ticket for Disney but unable to enter due to reservation system would be getting let into a park but being told a whole section(s) of it are not available due to capacity.

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley operated like this for a while at peak times. They also planned to operate Galaxy's Edge like this but the land itself is so massive and spread out that they never actually needed to do it.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Pandora was like that at first also

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is there anything better than night rides at a nearly empty Disneyland Park?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there anything better than night rides at a nearly empty Disneyland Park?

Best time to hit Fantasyland

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As of 11 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9, we are planning to make the following operational adjustments as we continue to prioritize the safety of our Cast Members and Guests during the storm:

THEME PARKS
Walt Disney World Resort theme parks will have a phased closure today, Nov. 9, beginning at 5 p.m. and will remain closed through tomorrow morning, Nov. 10. Resort Guests are encouraged to enjoy food and beverage options at the theme parks prior to returning to their Disney Resort hotel. Theme parks will likely not reopen at their regularly scheduled time tomorrow, Nov. 10.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Closing today, Nov. 9, at 5 p.m. with last dining reservations at 5 p.m.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Closing today, Nov. 9, at 6 p.m. with last dining reservations at 6 p.m.
Magic Kingdom Park: Closing today, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m. Last dining reservations for Be Our Guest, Liberty Tree Tavern, Diamond Horseshoe and Cinderella’s Royal Table will be at 6 p.m., and last dining for all other dining reservations will be at 6:30 p.m.
EPCOT: Closing today, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m. Last dining reservations for Monsieur Paul, Space 220 Restaurant, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall and Garden Grill Restaurant will be at 6 p.m., and last dining for all other dining reservations will be at 6:30 p.m.
As previously shared, extended evening theme park hours at Magic Kingdom will be canceled today, Nov. 9.

To align with modified theme park hours, nighttime spectaculars will be canceled today, Nov. 9, including Disney Enchantment at Magic Kingdom Park, Harmonious at EPCOT, and Fantasmic! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

WATER PARKS AND MINI GOLF
Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon will temporarily close tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 10. (Disney’s Blizzard Beach is currently closed.)
Winter Summerland Miniature Golf and Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf will close early today, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m. and will remain temporarily closed tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 10.
Please continue to monitor this page for additional updates and news outlets for the latest weather information.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley operated like this for a while at peak times. They also planned to operate Galaxy's Edge like this but the land itself is so massive and spread out that they never actually needed to do it.

Disneyland actually did do it for a little while, and they built in the technology into My Disney Experience for WDW to do it too, but then a) the land being huge and b) it opening the week of a hurricane which basically killed any crowd levels for it, then never busted it out, but it was morphed into the ride boarding pass system for Rise when it opened a few months later.

God those first few weeks were lovely. I dropped a comp ticket before they lifted block out dates for CMs and just spent the whole day in Galaxy's Edge. Got a walk up for Oga's, rode Falcon like four times. It was good times.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

Otoh, being completely unable to actually enjoy the immersive themeing because the park is nowhere near capacity but everyone is crowded into a single is Not Fun. See: the extended queue for Hagrid’s taking up half of Hogsmeade and a good chunk of Lost Continent back when it opened.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Coasterphreak posted:

Otoh, being completely unable to actually enjoy the immersive themeing because the park is nowhere near capacity but everyone is crowded into a single is Not Fun. See: the extended queue for Hagrid’s taking up half of Hogsmeade and a good chunk of Lost Continent back when it opened.

At least they made use of the abandoned Sinbad theater

It’s interesting to me that Uni is building a whole new park when they have so much unused space in their existing parks

Well. It makes sense cause extra park means people are more likely to spend a full extra day vs a few extra hours

But still.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It will be interesting to see what happens.

When Animal Kingdom opened it didn't result in guests extending their stay an extra day. It just took away visits to the other parks.

But a lot has changed in 25 years. And when it opened, AK was "just a zoo" to a lot of people. Epic Universe will open with some very hot IP attractions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On my 2012 and 2014 trips Animal Kingdom was very much just a half-day park. We went there early and then bounced to Epcot or whatever for the evening. I thought my two-week+ stays probably skewed my processing of things but it was interesting to learn that most people seemed to think about it similarly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

To anyone has been lately; is the post office / store at the front of the MK open yet? We always buy and postmark a postcard from the MK to send to my mom.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2022/11/adventureland-treehouse-at-disneyland-park-returns-in-fresh-new-way-in-2023/

Yyyyyoooooooooo.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BlueBayou posted:

At least they made use of the abandoned Sinbad theater

It’s interesting to me that Uni is building a whole new park when they have so much unused space in their existing parks

Well. It makes sense cause extra park means people are more likely to spend a full extra day vs a few extra hours

But still.

Fourth gate = more guests as well, because adding individual attractions typically increases visit frequency but not overall daily attendance over the long term.

And yeah, it will make universal a 5-6 day ticket over the 3-4 it is currently.

I do agree that IOA in particular has some room for expansion/new attractions, but presumably those are in the pipeline for after EU opens with toontown high on the list for some love (and possibly a retheme since a lot of the characters are arguably pretty dated at this point)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hell yeah

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Arquinsiel posted:

On my 2012 and 2014 trips Animal Kingdom was very much just a half-day park. We went there early and then bounced to Epcot or whatever for the evening. I thought my two-week+ stays probably skewed my processing of things but it was interesting to learn that most people seemed to think about it similarly.

That was my experience the first few times visiting Animal Kingdom. You definitely didn't need more than about 4-5 hours, tops, to do at least a lap and a half around every attraction. That was what prompted me to get our annual passes while we still lived in the state because I was so adamant about not paying the full price for a single day ticket to that park.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Doronin posted:

That was my experience the first few times visiting Animal Kingdom. You definitely didn't need more than about 4-5 hours, tops, to do at least a lap and a half around every attraction. That was what prompted me to get our annual passes while we still lived in the state because I was so adamant about not paying the full price for a single day ticket to that park.
Yeah, pre-Pandora it was easy enough to do a lap of the rides, get most of the shows done, maybe wander the trails a little, and then have plenty of time to go to Disney Springs and hit up a few shops before it got dark. With Pandora there there's very good reasons to hang around and see it in the dark, and enough rides to take up more of your day.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
IMHO some pretty lights aren't worth spending a whole day in AK for. It's still a half day park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Spoken like someone who hasn't taken a nice 2 hour drink break at nomad lounge.